Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2019 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options
1298299300301302304»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My review at the stroke of six o'clock, enjoy folks. Let me know if there is a billion typos. :)
    https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2019/09/05/electric-picnic-2019-festival-review/

Time to close the thread so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I've a rake of cans left and I'm slowly polishing them off each night!!

Must agree with an earlier poster, the Three stage was cool AF, fully kitted out, barriers at the front, nice stage, good sound desk, good sound, serious rigs, roof overhead, bar right beside (no toilets though) it had everything bar punters watching acts!!

Same, the cans that is, but can't bring myself to drink cider again tonight, so it's lovely lovely beer

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Reded

My review at the stroke of six o'clock, enjoy folks. Let me know if there is a billion typos. :)
    https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2019/09/05/electric-picnic-2019-festival-review/

A great review as always..! Very sad to read about Declan - I didn’t know his name but I chatted with him at gate 6 last couple of years! P.S never too old for EP let the young ones do their thing and the rest of us can continue to do what we do best..!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Right, I'm only getting around to jot down my own random thoughts about this years EP, bearing in mind that I was only at EP on the Friday and Saturday, unfortunately due to a family mishap , i had to knock Sunday on the head.

But, but, I know this wont be a popular opinion but i think there is now too many attending the festival and I think this was reflected in the sheer vast surge, rush of heads that was Bille Eilish's set on Friday night, the vast numbers and crowds that was there was unreal.

People can say, "oh well, it was just for that performance .." but over the two days I noticed that its just slowly but surely starting to escalate into a festival that is looking like Oxegen 2.0,

When it first started out and when I went to the early incarnations of the festival, it sold itself on the ethos of an eclectic mix of music, arts and culture which made it unique to a lot of other festivals and thats what i loved so much about EP but Im sorry to say, that with the 57k attendance, I hate to see a case of where the organisers are "killing the golden goose, that laid the golden egg..."

The ironic thing is, is that I actually have a ticket (early loyalty) for next year and you could say, if you dont like it, dont head. Well the reason i head is that the acts that EP get are quiet good and there is also the chance you could unearth a hidden gem that you never heard/saw before and that is always a bonus.

But with this years acts over the 2 days that I saw:

Bille Eilish - Got the crowd going, energetic performance, but I swear she was miming half her stuff
    Jarvis Cocker - Or Jarvis as he is now known, brilliant performance, sound was amazing and the fan confession was very funny he did halfway through the set
    Roadhouse Doors - Brilliant as always, cant go wrong,
    These Charming Men - See above, absolute belting performance
    Crow Black Chicken - Caught them in the Jerry Fish Tent and I loved the americana hard rock that they belted, definitely checking them out again, reminiscent of what the Kings of Leon sounded back in the early days (when they wrote good tunes!!!)
    Duff McKagan -Despite the low turn out and dodgy feedback, Lovely set and tunes to go, great to hear the GnR songs (Dead Horse and Dust and Bones) also he did a fine cover of Mad Seasons "River of Deceit", will catch him again if he ever comes near these shores.
    Echo and The Bunnymen - Good performance from Mac and the band although he seemed to run out of steam near the end, didnt play enough from Heaven Up Here, but i guess thats me been a bit picky as a diehard fan, but good sound and his voice held up well
    The Strokes - Ha ha, I was posting during this and a few others chipped in. Justin was well oiled on stage but in fairness , it was a cracking perfromance and set that they put on, nor arguements and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

So that was the main acts i caught, i ambled in around body and soul and around the electric ireland tent , just dipping in and out as to what was on but overall i enjoyed meself but as i mentioned above, theres way too many attending the festival now and I seriously think it needs to go back to the capacity is was about 7 or 8 years ago. I cant comment on what the place was like on Sunday as I wasnt there, if someone wants to chip in and see how manic/great Sunday was, then go ahead, no probs.:)

It'll be interesting to see how ATN can affect/influence EP over the next few years but the one thing I would hate is to see EP just turn into a thrashy , messy festival as it does not deserve this.

Anyway roll on EP 2020 and shure would it be great to see Macca and Tool headlining next years fest........yeah right:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I've bought for next year (having been to 6 but skipped the last two) but to be honest I am genuinely concerned about the crowds. I've read a lot over the last few days about the incident (not an incident according to Melvin's tone deaf statement) with the Billie Eilish crush and was filing it as a one off mistake that they will hopefully learn from.

Then I read Bodhrandudes's blog and he describes having a moment of panic after Kodaline, waiting 30 minutes for the crowd to die down and then deciding to stay away from the main stage for safety reasons. This is a festival veteran and it raised my fears far more than the other incident. At the very least EP will have lost that care-free element for me and will now involve deciding whether it's safe to go to certain parts at certain times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've bought for next year (having been to 6 but skipped the last two) but to be honest I am genuinely concerned about the crowds. I've read a lot over the last few days about the incident (not an incident according to Melvin's tone deaf statement) with the Billie Eilish crush and was filing it as a one off mistake that they will hopefully learn from.

Then I read Bodhrandudes's blog and he describes having a moment of panic after Kodaline, waiting 30 minutes for the crowd to die down and then deciding to stay away from the main stage for safety reasons. This is a festival veteran and it raised my fears far more than the other incident. At the very least EP will have lost that care-free element for me and will now involve deciding whether it's safe to go to certain parts at certain times.

A bit of planning is required when visiting the main stage or marques for popular acts.

Arrive a bit before they start or 10 mins into the set, and move to the back near the end of the set for a quick getaway, or stay put for 10 minutes after they finish.

There's still plenty of opportunity to float around between stages, you just need to be aware of when the busy times are. Also you need to be aware of when the main acts at terminus in freetown are on (if you're over at the salty dog / trailer park), as the crowds pouring in / out at those times were mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I didn’t have a problem with crowds the whole weekend. Saw some of Billy Eilish, but arrived late and left early. But most of the big ticket / main stage acts weren’t for me.

There's still plenty of opportunity to float around between stages, you just need to be aware of when the busy times are. Also you need to be aware of when the main acts at terminus in freetown are on (if you're over at the salty dog / trailer park), as the crowds pouring in / out at those times were mad.

Yes indeed. I remember even a good few years ago trying to walk from the main stage to Trailer Park and an army of tangoed young women coming towards me making it nearly impossible. I hadn't a clue what was going on. Picture This apparently! I'll have to be prepared for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Was the weekend ticket sale the all of the loyalty tickets? Ticketmaster never sent me a code (after registering on that portal) so I couldn't get one. Been to 7 of last 8 picnics, had loyalty hassle with them last year too. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Arrive a bit before they start or 10 mins into the set, and move to the back near the end of the set for a quick getaway, or stay put for 10 minutes after they finish.

this is exactly what i did after Billie Eilish - i was nearish the front to right of stage so i started walking with the crowd after and realised it was going into that bottleneck between the Heineken bar and tiered seating stand as it was the same after Dua Lipa last year.
    So I just let the people pass me instead of continuing to walk into a big crowd then walked across the way towards the food vendors on left and out. just need to use the head a bit in those situations.

i just stayed to the left near the food vendors/heinken bar to left of stage for the other late mainstage acts and had no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

showpony1 wrote: »
    this is exactly what i did after Billie Eilish - i was nearish the front to right of stage so i started walking with the crowd after and realised it was going into that bottleneck between the Heineken bar and tiered seating stand as it was the same after Dua Lipa last year.
    So I just let the people pass me instead of continuing to walk into a big crowd then walked across the way towards the food vendors on left and out. just need to use the head a bit in those situations.

i just stayed to the left near the food vendors/heinken bar to left of stage for the other late mainstage acts and had no problems.

I think that's because they had removed the long steel barriers that were coming out off the sound stage at both sides after Friday. They had created a pseudo pit but they were the cause of the mad crowds coming out of the main stage area after Billie Eilish. They were pushing all the crowds over towards the food stalls rather than them just walking straight back towards the seated area. They were gone Saturday and it was much easier to get out. My group spent a decent amount of time at the main stage all weekend. We had a spot to the left of the sound stage and it was pretty roomy there for most of the weekend. Only one with a bit of a squash was Gerry Cinnamon.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Was the weekend ticket sale the all of the loyalty tickets? Ticketmaster never sent me a code (after registering on that portal) so I couldn't get one. Been to 7 of last 8 picnics, had loyalty hassle with them last year too. Pain in the hole.

I'm afraid so. That's a shame and you are not the only one to miss out. I've never had a problem with codes but plenty have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

With regard to the Billie Eilish crowd issue, the only issue I had with the crowd was the constant chatter and the young ones walking through me towards the front. I really felt that the sound could have been a lot louder also for that set. Was that just me?

After that we avoided the main stage apart from Christine & The Strokes. The sound seemed to me to be a lot better(louder) for those sets. I was surprised at the relatively small crowd for Christine & the Queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kepler21

With regard to the Billie Eilish crowd issue, the only issue I had with the crowd was the constant chatter and the young ones walking through me towards the front. I really felt that the sound could have been a lot louder also for that set. Was that just me?

After that we avoided the main stage apart from Christine & The Strokes. The sound seemed to me to be a lot better(louder) for those sets. I was surprised at the relatively small crowd for Christine & the Queens.

I thought Billie's vocals were too soft as well. I was on the right halfway between the sound desk and the stage. It was better for any other artist I heard on the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Great stuff bodhran. Sounds like you had a blast. Was at a few ofcthe same gigs as you but never met up, maybe 2020 will be our year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I had contact with this guy when looking for a ticket for a mate's son.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/pictured-fraudster-who-duped-fans-of-almost-8k-for-nonexistent-electric-picnic-ariana-grande-and-hugh-jackman-tickets-38511682.html

Told me he had an ETicket (:rolleyes:) and suggested paying him via Western Union or Bank Transfer neither of which has any comeback.
    Tried to get to meet up but he said he had them transferred to the T/M resale site.
    Tried to string him along but he didn't reply back to my mails so must have twigged.
    Reported him to Gumtree who didn't reply back.

Suspended sentence is a kick in the teeth to the people who have lost money and have no hope of getting it back I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

11 offences whilst on bail - guarantee the scumbag will be trying the same sh1t again next summer

Oh yeah, he's very sorry and determined to pay everyone back? He is in his sh1te. Those poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

We were duped for Coldplay tickets. And despite me having photos of the woman that sold them, photos of her sitting in the seat at the concert, cctv of her selling is the tickets, all the conversations between us, the make model and colour of her car. Not 1 thing was done about it
    So yeh I’m glad to see this fella get something...!!!!

But he got nothing though, a suspended sentence is as good as nothing. The bastard should've been sent straight to jail for breaching his probation.

• Advertisement

We were duped for Coldplay tickets. And despite me having photos of the woman that sold them, photos of her sitting in the seat at the concert, cctv of her selling is the tickets, all the conversations between us, the make model and colour of her car. Not 1 thing was done about it
    So yeh I’m glad to see this fella get something...!!!!

Oh my God...that's shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kepler21

Kepler21 wrote: »
    The defendant has 33 similar previous convictions.
    Only took 33 to get him jailed.
    He said the defendant was a vulnerable young man.
    He's 31 FFS!!!:rolleyes:
    He said the accused would pay back the €1,000 from his weekly social welfare payment if given time.
    How is a 31 yo in the current market not in employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Only took 33 to get him jailed.

He's 31 FFS!!!:rolleyes:

How is a 31 yo in the current market not in employment?

You should ask that question on "After Hours".

Ha. I’m sure it’s been asked loads of times!

Advertisement