Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

One week of using this phone and I'm beginning to think my s7 might be made redundant.

Seriously, I have wasted thousands over the years using mainstream phones for private and business contracts.

My only gripe I've found, and I suspect it's a carrier issue as opposed to the phone, is from time to time it won't let me connect a call as it's saying network not available (or something) despite it showing a 4G symbol in the corner.

That is a Tesco SIM, I use Vodafone for the work phone, so might pop the VF SIM in and see how it goes.

IIRC, the same problem was happening with the Tesco SIM on my last phone too, which was an Aging note 3, but at the time I was putting it down to the phone being near banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

One week of using this phone and I'm beginning to think my s7 might be made redundant.

Seriously, I have wasted thousands over the years using mainstream phones for private and business contracts.

My only gripe I've found, and I suspect it's a carrier issue as opposed to the phone, is from time to time it won't let me connect a call as it's saying network not available (or something) despite it showing a 4G symbol in the corner.

That is a Tesco SIM, I use Vodafone for the work phone, so might pop the VF SIM in and see how it goes.

IIRC, the same problem was happening with the Tesco SIM on my last phone too, which was an Aging note 3, but at the time I was putting it down to the phone being near banjaxed.

I agree, it's a brilliant phone and I have the same problem with the Tesco sim, haven't tried different sim yet. Is anyone else having the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

I agree, it's a brilliant phone and I have the same problem with the Tesco sim, haven't tried different sim yet. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Yep I'm having the same problem very frustrating. Need a solution at this stage but the only fix I can think of is a custom ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Chiming into say I have the same problem, also using Tesco sim. I have very low opinion about Tesco network in general, so I assumed it's related to that, but perhaps it's the phone.

It fixes itself if I switch the phone to airline mode and back, or if I go into settings, network and select tesco sim and use the 'reset APN something something option. Probably software, I bought this phone in India directly from Xiaomi, so I get all the Indian media notifications etc - although that's not a huge problem for me, I would consider flashing a better ROM.

Well I am about to catch a flight to the U.K. this morning for a few days, and will take this phone with me with the Vodafone sim in it and will report back.

I think the question we need to be asking now is if anyone not on Tesco mobile is having the same problem.

Entering airplane mode for a sec also fixes it for me too, but I'm more concerned about people trying to call me.

I've been thinking of ditching the Tesco sim only plan for ages now, and if I get zero problems with Vodafone, that is the route I will be taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Well I am about to catch a flight to the U.K. this morning for a few days, and will take this phone with me with the Vodafone sim in it and will report back.

I think the question we need to be asking now is if anyone not on Tesco mobile is having the same problem.

Entering airplane mode for a sec also fixes it for me too, but I'm more concerned about people trying to call me.

I've been thinking of ditching the Tesco sim only plan for ages now, and if I get zero problems with Vodafone, that is the route I will be taking.

To answer the question, I'm on three and never had that problem. I did have to turn on Roaming tho as I have to do with every phone I get on the three network as three doesn't have its own 2g network as such (I believe it uses o2 now or what's left of it) and with this setting off can cause problems with said 2g signals reception. Note Tesco is on the three network (despite having 3 or 4 G on your phone, your calls are still on a 2g network)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Only one of my speakers seems to be working. Anyone else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Most rumours seem to be that it's just the Kevlar back being made available for the lower memory versions. Still pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

So, Santa brought a new Poco F1 this morning. Seems snappy and very happy overall.

Only issue I have is YouTube seems to play in SD rather than HD. Am I missing a setting or an app upgrade or something? Is there a way to get YouTube in HD?

• Advertisement

So, Santa brought a new Poco F1 this morning. Seems snappy and very happy overall.

Only issue I have is YouTube seems to play in SD rather than HD. Am I missing a setting or an app upgrade or something? Is there a way to get YouTube in HD?

top right of the video, click the three dots, pic the resolution you want. It defaults of 480p to conserve data.

top right of the video, click the three dots, pic the resolution you want. It defaults of 480p to conserve data.

Thanks, I disabled the data saver and that seems to have done the trick.

Is there a similar fix for the SD quality of Netflix? I looked in settings but don't see anything.

Thanks, I disabled the data saver and that seems to have done the trick.

Is there a similar fix for the SD quality of Netflix? I looked in settings but don't see anything.

Netflix doesn't work in HD on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sister opened it this morning and loves it anyway, she’s delighted :) the blue looks way nicer in person then the photos.

Netflix doesn't work in HD on the phone.

That's a bit 2010 for a 2018 "flagship" phone :-(

Do you know if there's a workaround via a special version of Netflix or a custom ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do you know if there's a workaround via a special version of Netflix or a custom ROM?

Netflix requires widevine l3, it's not supported on the handset and no workaround in place as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

The F1 isn't a flagship phone. It's a budget/midrange phone with a lot of flagship features.

The F1 isn't a flagship phone. It's a budget/midrange phone with a lot of flagship features.

I wonder what licensing windvine l3 would have added to the cost of the phone.

Midrange or otherwise IMHO not enabling the market leading video content app to perform to the capability of the phones specs is a massive mistake unless the cost would have been prohibitive ie €20 or more (circa 5% of the cost of the phone) it's a mistake to settle for SD quality Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

IPhone Xr doesn't even have a screen capable of HD and the price of it

But if my understanding is correct it's nothing to to with the screens capability is it? The Poco F1 is absolutely capable of HD as you'll see if using MX player, Plex or VLC to watch content. The issue is Xiaomi didn't pony up the license fee to enable it to play Netflix at HD rather than SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bit if my understanding is correct it's nothing to to with the screens capability is it? The Poco F1 is absolutely capable of HD as you'll see if using MX player, Plex or VLC to watch content. The issue is Xiaomi didn't pony up the license fee to enable it to play Netflix at HD rather than SD.

Yes I believe it's something to do with the license

Nothing. It just wasn't done because the phone was designed for the Indian market where people don't stream in full HD because data is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Yes I believe it's something to do with the license

Xiaomi is working with Qualcomm and Google in getting the fix in place for the next release, source

Be still me beating hearts... :pac:

Only one of my speakers seems to be working. Anyone else have this issue?

There only is one speaker on the phone apart from the earpiece.

At the bottom, either side of the charging port, one is a speaker, the other is the mic.

Probably designed to look like a speaker, for aesthetics I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Nothing. It just wasn't done because the phone was designed for the Indian market where people don't stream in full HD because data is expensive.

I don't know if the later part is true. I was there last month, and new JIO sim with 1.5 GB of data per day, for 30 days.... wait for it... 1 euro 50 cents. (120 rupees).

Data is not expensive there, not since 2016 when JIO launched and changed the whole market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭honda boi

Midrange or otherwise IMHO not enabling the market leading video content app to perform to the capability of the phones specs is a massive mistake unless the cost would have been prohibitive ie €20 or more (circa 5% of the cost of the phone) it's a mistake to settle for SD quality Netflix.

Would there a notable difference in SD and HD on this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Does anyone know how to change the signal strength and WiFi symbols? I prefer the bars for the signal and not a block. Or what icon pack would be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

There only is one speaker on the phone apart from the earpiece.

At the bottom, either side of the charging port, one is a speaker, the other is the mic.

Probably designed to look like a speaker, for aesthetics I assume.

Sound, thanks.

honda boi wrote: »
    Would there a notable difference in SD and HD on this phone?

I noticed immediately when I launched Netflix. I compared it with the same movie on a OnePlus 5 (2 year old phone) and the difference was clear. It's a bit of a first world problem so I won't be getting up tight over it but that and the lack of NFC for Android Pay really mark what is otherwise a super phone down quite a bit IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Apple is for geeks who know nothing about technology but wear thick-rimmed glasses.

Advertisement