Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

honda boi wrote: »
    Been using the cam app for awhile now.
    Think it takes better pics then the normal app but anyone notice it takes long to actual take the pic?
    So when I press to take the picture it takes a good second or 2 to actual take it?
    hmm that's a bug I've seen on the Pixel 3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

god's toy wrote: »
    hmm that's a bug I've seen on the Pixel 3 too.

Had a nosey around and found out if you turn off hdr+ ,fixes the lag.
    Fixed the lag but now the pictures taken don't get saved anywhere!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

How does one go about selling a pocophone?

Sorry RocketRaccoon, a neighbour had asked me to sell it to him. Sorry about that.

Sold within 2 hours, tough sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PowerTaxi

Just bought this off Amazon UK but theres no information about a delivery date. Any idea how long it'd take?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bigserious1

PowerTaxi wrote: »
    Just bought this off Amazon UK but theres no information about a delivery date. Any idea how long it'd take?

Ordered one 5 days ago and it still hasn't been sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭eggy81

Mine arrived from Amazon UK in 5 days. This was 3 weeks ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

whats the camera like on this?

Any dxomark available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ordered on Amazon on Black Friday, delivered to parcel motel yesterday and in my hands today for my sister. Can’t wait for her to open it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

MKBHD did a mass camera comparison over the last while on twitter and Instagram and the results will surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Ordered on Amazon on Black Friday, delivered to parcel motel yesterday and in my hands today for my sister. Can’t wait for her to open it now.

There is free shipping to Ireland , isn’t ? Why would you use Parcel Motel instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

alec76 wrote: »
    There is free shipping to Ireland , isn’t ? Why would you use Parcel Motel instead?

Nobody home to collect the package!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

About to finally pull the trigger on this, but very quick question for anyone who has one. My main worry is the raised curved screen.
    On my current OnePlus, a TPU case like this is raised enough above the screen that if it lands face down the screen isn't going to contact anything.

Just worried with the curved screen that the screen will be flush with the case edge, or even above it, so will the the impact if it drops face down? Or is it not that pronounced?

And should I grab something like this too to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

MKBHD did a mass camera comparison over the last while on twitter and Instagram and the results will surprise you.

Haven't had a chance to watch this yet but I will. I was voting on the pics myself on Instagram as it was an interesting experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dele

Is this better than a Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Its slightly skewed.
    If he had put the pocophone up against the Mate 20 in the first round it would have lost and looked unremarkable. I agree it did cause an upset in the first round but it was a one photo shootout. Not exactly a comprehensive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

I stuck Linage OS on it for the craic last night. Fairly straight forward and no complaints so far. Battery seems as good as always and still as snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

seannash wrote: »
    Its slightly skewed.
    If he had put the pocophone up against the Mate 20 in the first round it would have lost and looked unremarkable.
    I agree it did cause an upset in the first round but it was a one photo shootout. Not exactly a comprehensive test.
    That's right. That's how knock-out competitions work. It still got through a few rounds against more expensive phones which in itself is noteworthy.

You're right, it's not comprehensive. It's little more than a bit of fun. But there *are* conclusions to be drawn. The conclusion isn't that it's better than phones that got knocked out before it, but that it was able to hold it's own to some extent among much more expensive devices. And for a €300 phone that's a decent effort.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's right. That's how knock-out competitions work. It still got through a few rounds against more expensive phones which in itself is noteworthy.

You're right, it's not comprehensive. It's little more than a bit of fun. But there *are* conclusions to be drawn. The conclusion isn't that it's better than phones that got knocked out before it, but that it was able to hold it's own to some extent among much more expensive devices. And for a €300 phone that's a decent effort.

yeah the problem with that fun comparison is that, when posting to insta or twitter, the features of the more expensive cameras are basically negated....

kinda like recording a piece of music in a 16 bit CD quality FLAC file... but when its posted to say, youtube, it can be compressed to a 64 kbps mp3 lossy sound.... so you completely lose the definition and sharpness.

still.... in comparison with the more expensive phones when viewed on this level playing field, the pocophone still did very very well for a much more budget level phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bigserious1

I watched this last night and wasn't the outcome just that 99% of people will pick the brighter image when presented with 2x choices.

And also that most phone cameras these days are more than good enough for the majority of people.

Dele wrote: »
    Is this better than a Samsung?

A Samsung what?

Is a VW better than a Skoda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah the problem with that fun comparison is that, when posting to insta or twitter, the features of the more expensive cameras are basically negated....

That's right. And that's exactly what most folk use their phones for. So the poll certainly has some real-world relevance
    kinda like recording a piece of music in a 16 bit CD quality FLAC file... but when its posted to say, youtube, it can be compressed to a 64 kbps mp3 lossy sound.... so you completely lose the definition and sharpness.
    Good comparison because the majority of folk are more than happy with the quality of MP3.
    still.... in comparison with the more expensive phones when viewed on this level playing field, the pocophone still did very very well for a much more budget level phone.
    Indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Pulling the trigger, for 300e the OnePlus 6/6t is not worth the marginal difference. Can't wait!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm having some trouble unlocking the bootloader. Can't get the unlocking program to find the phone in fastboot mode. Tried reinstalling drivers, different ports, cables, and two windows ten computers.

Each time I get the message to press any key to shut down on the handset.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Found it funny that the other YouTubers he called were trying to stand up for the iPhone X/'s and the like... Some of the photos from the (iPhone spring to mind) were desperate in comparison, they might have been better quality and whatever but they were just to dark imo

Haven't seen the video yet but.. I really hope he didn't fall into the trap of using Instagram for those 'tests' ?... It's well known that in order to get the same sharpness level across all manufacturers, you have to boost the one's shot on android phones in Instagram's settings. This is because the devs all used apple phones when they set the levels/settings/balances back in the day (as it wasn't on android then) and so a 'one to one' between an apple and an android phone pic can never be 'true' as the pics will always look slightly sharper from the apple when in-fact may not be in 'real life'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm having some trouble unlocking the bootloader. Can't get the unlocking program to find the phone in fastboot mode. Tried reinstalling drivers, different ports, cables, and two windows ten computers.

Each time I get the message to press any key to shut down on the handset.

Any ideas?

Have you gone into the phone settings, activated Developer mode and selected USB debugging?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you gone into the phone settings, activated Developer mode and selected USB debugging?

I have USB debugging ticked all right. The OEM unlocking switch always turns off when I leave that menu. Is that normal?

Edit, i revoked and reauthorised and OEM remains ticked now. Still getting he same issue with "press any key to restart" in fastboot, and device not detected.

Going to try an old windows 7 laptop.

Fourth time a charm.

Windows 10 seemed to have issues with finding the hardware. Finally got it working on a Win7 Pro machine. Still have to wait 50 something hours....

How do you get face recognition to work on this phone. Can't find anything in menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

eggy81 wrote: »
    How do you get face recognition to work on this phone. Can't find anything in menus.

You have to set the phone region to india

• Advertisement

Will this make any difference to the operation of the phone.

Advertisement