Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Could ye get the stuff for the fields tipped I was wondering, only 17euro a ton
    Blocks up tanks and slurry channels .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Milk through here all year round and cows are flying on it milk wise, using up a pit of fairly mediocre silage but the beet is compensating for it, big time....
    Going pitting 350 ton of it after xmas for buffering with year round instead of silage, the shine and condition of the cows on it is something else

Hi just buying beet for the first time , was wondering how much would u feed to milking cows calves late spring ?
    And how much would u feed to spring calving cows in jan / feb ?
    Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Hi just buying beet for the first time , was wondering how much would u feed to milking cows calves late spring ?
    And how much would u feed to spring calving cows in jan / feb ?
    Thks

I'd say 20 kgs freshweight is the max you could go on both counts , you need to be getting a1kgs plus of straw into them daily aswell to keep stomachs right, feeding a 28% protein balancer nut with extra phosphorus/minerals plus actisaaf also, beet is low in protein so at a feed rate of 20kgs you need 3kgs of the above mix to balance it, if cows are out on grass in Spring you'd get away without such a high pr ration but would want to be supplementing with phosphorus some other way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

socks are the vain of my life. any recommendations for socks that don't have a hole in the heal after a month. I don't want a thick sock just a normal boot sock. I was buying the tk maxx 3 for a tenner Dunlop socks and I like them but holes come very fast in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭straight

cosatron wrote: »
    socks are the vain of my life. any recommendations for socks that don't have a hole in the heal after a month. I don't want a thick sock just a normal boot sock. I was buying the tk maxx 3 for a tenner Dunlop socks and I like them but holes come very fast in them.

Did u not hear that socks are out of fashion at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

straight wrote: »

Ha, The cows aren’t up with the fashion, there old school Holsteins that like there comfort and a good dinner so I should fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »

The type that follow that fashion tend not to wear wellies too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

One of the lads just found a camera in one of the chicken houses. There’s no way of entry without a key and the key is well hidden outside. Whoever placed the camera must’ve hidden in the bushes and waited to see where the key is hidden...

Be careful folks, there are people out there that want to nail agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

One of the lads just found a camera in one of the chicken houses. There’s no way of entry without a key and the key is well hidden outside. Whoever placed the camera must’ve hidden in the bushes and waited to see where the key is hidden...

Maybe one of your workers put it there? Whats the French equivalent of Prime Time investigates....

Few empty shot gun shells around the place works wonders as a deterrent !

I’d leave one with the key and a note saying (looking for this) -lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Maybe one of your workers put it there? Whats the French equivalent of Prime Time investigates....

There’s a whole station, FR2, that occupies itself with such. Last week they reckoned that farmers are the main cause of cancer and that all agri chemicals should be banned. I know a program producer there that says the hardcore anti-Ag have no interest in balance because it doesn’t suit their agenda.
    In fairness nobody takes any real notice of them. The natives know their food and know where to source it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So I put a water softener in last week and I said I'd let you know what I found.

The first two days were a bit frightening as the wash water came out OK but turned brown during the wash. Since then, the water has been crystal clear and all the detergent I've used has been dissolved fully in the wash. There used always be some powder left on the bottom of the wash trough that wasn't fully dissolved but nothing now so all the detergent is now dissolved for use.

I used have to walk the clusters at the start of the wash as some wouldn't circulate properly, one or two the odd occasion, but there's only one not circulating every 3 or 4 washes.

I'm half thinking of just putting in a normal electric heater as the limescale doesn't look like it's going to be an issue anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Getting there

Time to say bye bye to derogation going of latest epa water quality report, the new raft of measures coming down the line will be some hit on pockets to achieve compliance going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Time to say bye bye to derogation going of latest epa water quality report, the new raft of measures coming down the line will be some hit on pockets to achieve compliance going forward

What if i recieve no payments of any kind (sfp, anc etc) can i work away tp what ever stocking rate i want?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Getting there

Nice job

Nice job

Hopefully in by Monday.

Agriland are saying raw sewerage is the worst offender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The effects of quota removal should be starting to hit water quality now too so it's only likely to get worse over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭straight

Na, it couldn't be all that raw sewage flowing in from towns and cities. It must be the big bad farmer. Sure everything else is their fault too.

• Advertisement

The IFA are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The IFA are

The IFA are right - on this particular topic anyway

Panch18 wrote: »
    The IFA are right - on this particular topic anyway

The suir catchment is the worst performer in the country and just happens to be where the largest increase in cow numbers has happened in that time period... It's not all raw sewage that's leading to these decreases

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The suir catchment is the worst performer in the country and just happens to be where the largest increase in cow numbers has happened in that time period... It's not all raw sewage that's leading to these decreases

Dock spray is being identified in some of the waterways, that didn't come from sewerage

What if i recieve no payments of any kind (sfp, anc etc) can i work away tp what ever stocking rate i want?

Depends on your county council, department wont bother you at the minute anyway once you go off the radar, i.e dont submit any information re land farmed

True, but it's not all cows doing the polluting as well. From the reporting by the media, only Agriculture is doing any polluting.

Even the recent huge discharge from North Dublin was described as due to excess rainfall.

I wonder if we would escape censure as easily if an excess of rainfall caused pollution in a local river?

True, but it's not all cows doing the polluting as well. From the reporting by the media, only Agriculture is doing any polluting.

Even the recent huge discharge from North Dublin was described as due to excess rainfall.

I wonder if we would escape censure as easily if an excess of rainfall caused pollution in a local river?

Two major fish kills here locally last summer due to silage effluent, trying to divert attention to a untouchable and unaccountable local councils isn't going to take the heat of farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I have land on the Suir

When i look across the opposite bank there is a pipe coming directly from the village mains sewer straight into the river - untreated. Every house in the village is flushing their toilet straight into the river.

Whats more is the number of houses in this village has more than doubled since the year 2000, tripled is probably more accurate

Whats more is there was an article in the times or indo recently highlighting all the towns and villages that were letting raw sewage into the rivers - and guess what, absolutely no sign of this particular village

So there are "facts" when it comes to beating agri - but then there is reality. The reality often doesn't seem to matter these days

Two major fish kills here locally last summer due to silage effluent, trying to divert attention to a untouchable and unaccountable local councils isn't going to take the heat of farmers

A neighbour has land bounding a local village sewage discharge pipe.

He can tell to the minute when the discharges are left off and there seems to be no filtration at times there.

And that discharge is counted as Ag discharge when the river is sampled.

An open secret but I wouldn't expect RTE to have a programme on it, for some strange reason:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Panch18 wrote: »
    I have land on the Suir

When i look across the opposite bank there is a pipe coming directly from the village mains sewer straight into the river - untreated. Every house in the village is flushing their toilet straight into the river.

Whats more is the number of houses in this village has more than doubled since the year 2000, tripled is probably more accurate

Whats more is there was an article in the times or indo recently highlighting all the towns and villages that were letting raw sewage into the rivers - and guess what, absolutely no sign of this particular village

So there are "facts" when it comes to beating agri - but then there is reality. The reality often doesn't seem to matter these days

No one comes out good from this report - it does mention the issue of sewage discharges but nitrate losses from farmland also get alot of coverge with the SE and South Midlands seeing the most severe deteriation on that front. Also quiet shocking how the number of "pristine" water bodies has collapsed to virtually nothing since the 80'S:eek::(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement