Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

alps wrote: »
    Do you think the movies would be an outlet for them?

Planet of the jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

whelan2 wrote: »
    There are so many variables though. Is the oh working? Kids in college? Childcare? Borrowings? ......

What's a living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

There are so many variables though. Is the oh working? Kids in college? Childcare? Borrowings? ......

Aye,I know at least 3 dairy farmers who tell you they're doing great
    In reality,their other half's plump salary is paying for the groceries,the car,the kids education etc
    As my father always said,nothing helps a farm more than a good laying hen or a good c0ck in the case of a farmerette
    Processors love this
    As a long term strategy for new entrants, they really should be looking at setting up a dairy match making service
    Plenty single high sslaried employees in the processors to get it going ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Aye,I know at least 3 dairy farmers who tell you they're doing great
    In reality,their other half's plump salary is paying for the groceries,the car,the kids education etc
    As my father always said,nothing helps a farm more than a good laying hen or a good c0ck in the case of a farmerette
    Processors love this
    As a long term strategy for new entrants, they really should be looking at setting up a dairy match making service
    Plenty single high sslaried employees in the processors to get it going ;)

Yes and u will go a long way to find full time farmers !
    There is a huge difference when ever bill has to be paid from the farm !
    I know farms where they have been in a position go just farm away kids house car third level all virtually ran from wife’s wages !
    Match making service good idea pity wasn’t around when I was looking (wanted good looking wife , hard worker grossing over 60k a year )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭straight

What about getting 2 livings from 100 cows?

That's not a one man operation then. Different story.

• Advertisement

einn32 wrote: »
    What's a living?

Average industrial wage at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

straight wrote: »

Before or after loans/continued investment paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Before or after loans/continued investment paid for?

Have to be after

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

In reality some farmers and tegasc thru profit monitors would have us believe we work for nothing if they showed an accurate wage for hours worked the glossy looking picture would be well gone .throwing out cop of high teens low 20s is an insult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Debating whether to milk or not. The girls seem happy enough atm.
    SiOW5ay.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

Last year a full time employee had average industrial earnings of €47,596 according to a journal.ie article. The average overall was €38,871.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Debating whether to milk or not. The girls seem happy enough atm.
    SiOW5ay.jpg

Hows the grab going?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hows the grab going?.

Great, tbh. I need a wall to push the squashed bales against to get a good hold of the plastic on those but I can work around them, mostly.

I'm keeping about 95% of the plastic and about 90% of the netting. The plastic can be pulled out from under the remains of the half bale the following day and the netting is the start of the net around the bale and no catcher is going to get that so that has to be pulled off by hand after feeding.

I'll be opening the pit next week so that will be a test as the teeth are about 3 inches shallower than the sides so there'll be a few tufts of silage left on the pit face, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What price are silage bales atm. Very good quality from reseeded new ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Great, tbh. I need a wall to push the squashed bales against to get a good hold of the plastic on those but I can work around them, mostly.

I'm keeping about 95% of the plastic and about 90% of the netting. The plastic can be pulled out from under the remains of the half bale the following day and the netting is the start of the net around the bale and no catcher is going to get that so that has to be pulled off by hand after feeding.

I'll be opening the pit next week so that will be a test as the teeth are about 3 inches shallower than the sides so there'll be a few tufts of silage left on the pit face, I'd say.

I turn them push them down to the ground , I have a tanco on a Teleporter. the tanco bale shears only thing they ever managed to make right !
    The Cashel and them might not work that way they look bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What price are silage bales atm. Very good quality from reseeded new ground.

25 euro I'd reckon, getting beet delivered to yard washed for 40 euro ton, alot better value if set-up with diet feeder to chop and feed it out, has put some condition up on cows since they went on it a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    25 euro I'd reckon, getting beet delivered to yard washed for 40 euro ton, alot better value if set-up with diet feeder to chop and feed it out, has put some condition up on cows since they went on it a month ago

I'm buying in bales at 25 delivered. I had a terrible year off farm, didnt get to make many bales.

Is the beet good to milk off of in the spring?

Milk through here all year round and cows are flying on it milk wise, using up a pit of fairly mediocre silage but the beet is compensating for it, big time....
    Going pitting 350 ton of it after xmas for buffering with year round instead of silage, the shine and condition of the cows on it is something else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Milk through here all year round and cows are flying on it milk wise, using up a pit of fairly mediocre silage but the beet is compensating for it, big time....
    Going pitting 350 ton of it after xmas for buffering with year round instead of silage, the shine and condition of the cows on it is something else

sugar beet or fodder beet.....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Will you put something in the pit with it? Straw or maize?

What’s you’re approach to washing and chopping going to be?

sugar beet or fodder beet.....?

Its enermax, hybrid beet, sugar beet taints milk at higher feed rates, over 12kgs fresh, they're on 20kgs fresh at the minute and no issues

Good in fairness, cow's go mad for it so if buffering would need plenty feed space or they'll blow each other out of it. A fair bit of work if you have to go washing and chopping yourself tho esp at calving time. Last time we had beet the diet was silage maize and beet and a 3 way mix. Fresh Cow's drove on and held condition. But there was two of us there then in the yard. Edit may have to balance it for minerals

Panch18 wrote: »
    Will you put something in the pit with it? Straw or maize?

What’s you’re approach to washing and chopping going to be?

Tillage farmer will drop it up washed and chopped, will run through tub feeder then and mix in something like oat feed to soak up beet juices at a rate of 4 to 1, whatever can be got in bulk and cheap...will clamp it then pit needs to be long and narrow

Mooooo wrote: »
    Good in fairness, cow's go mad for it so if buffering would need plenty feed space or they'll blow each other out of it. A fair bit of work if you have to go washing and chopping yourself tho esp at calving time. Last time we had beet the diet was silage maize and beet and a 3 way mix. Fresh Cow's drove on and held condition. But there was two of us there then in the yard

Get it delivered washed here and 14 cube tub will chop up 6 and a half ton in 10 minutes, keeps for 2-3 days perfect and put threw feeder as needed in tmr, alot less messing then bales if set-up right

Any of ye paint yer calving / calf sheds and if so what do ye use?. Would be a mix of old plastered block walls and mass concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 steer

How many kilos of beet are you feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Any of ye paint yer calving / calf sheds and if so what do ye use?. Would be a mix of old plastered block walls and mass concrete.
    We clean out and power hose the calf rearing sheds during the Summer months and paint the dividing gates/feed barriers.
    Our calf rearing sheds lay idle until the following Spring. I white wash the walls, gates and feed barriers to about 3' with a fluffy roller and hydrated lime. It has worked well for us over the years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Either "vanilla sundae"or "natural calico"

• Advertisement

steer wrote: »
    How many kilos of beet are you feeding?

20kgs freshweight a cow per day, same to incalf heifers and weanlings are on 10kgs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement