Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

LLMMLL wrote: »
    So why did these other families end up presenting to Garda stations if this is all a scam?

So where did the 7 others go during the photoshoot ,

Did they have to wait outside .
    Did they find their own accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

so they had another child since...

Well I, for one, am shocked.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Yes I think everyone else missed this bit of info.

So why did these other families end up presenting to Garda stations if this is all a scam?

And where are all their pictures? It's all a big publicity stunt to get free houses, isn't it?

Or maybe, just maybe, there actually is a huge housing crisis and families are really struggling. They need support and assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

soups05 wrote: »
    the solution is a simple one. a pregnancy lasts for 9 months, so lets set a limit at 1 year.

announce now that from next august the benefits will change. cap the limit at two kids ( thats what the average worker can afford) and after that your on your own.

ie you get the benefits for child one and two but no more after that. the current families would be exempt as they made the choice to have kids under the current rules.

no one, ever, will be offered a four bedroom house. you want one, buy your own. if you have 19 kids and counting then fit them all in 3 bedrooms.

This will not solve the current crisis but will break the endless cycle of single mum, multiple kids, who then grow up into single mums with multiple kids.

Let's see how many would be having 6/7/8 kids after that law comes in.

Right but you conveniently ignored me asking you what effect your ideas would have on kids.

I knew you’d come up with some horrific scheme that would leave kids destitute because you’re so gleeful about punishing their parents. Horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Yes I think everyone else missed this bit of info.

To get to the top of the housing list ASAP..

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    So, the spent last night at a Garda station. Where did they stay the night before last? What are the actual facts and circumstances here?

Smell like a hoax and setup to me.

And all the other 8 families are scammers as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LLMMLL wrote:
    If you worked with SVP then you’d know that they take the stories they are told at face value, even when they suspect someone is exaggerating or outright lying. Because denying a genuine case because of false suspicions is worse than giving help to someone who is not genuine.

You are putting words in my mouth here. I never claimed SVP had any views on this case at all. In fact I claimed that this woman would have been helped yesterday if she notified the charities in the morning. Scamming or not.

I also never said that she wasn't homeless. I said that she could easily have gotten beds for her children last night if she asked earlier in the day. She wasn't tossed into the street yesterday

Now you are mixing up their official stance & their own personal view. Yes they take everything at face value and yes some people rip them off but at least they still get to help the ones who need it because they help everyone who asks.

However don't for a second think that they can't pick out the scammers a mile away. I've gone to do work on behalf of SVP and when I get there I know it's a scam. I still carry out the work required. Scam or not. That's nothing to do with it me. The genuine cases far outweigh the scams

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Gatling wrote: »
    So this popped dated from 2015 bottom half of the article .
    I believe this is the same family again

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/no-solution-in-sight-with-ongoing-homeless-crisis

If it's them, €1,000 rent allowance + €820 child's allowance per month. Never mind JSB or JSA or Single Mothers allowance on top.

Yet, they cannot find a place to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

if it is that same family, i wonder is the father working now or has done since! if not, it's hard to feel for them really, sorry for the kids involved! anyway...

Well if you call lashing around the estate on his horse, drinking with the boys and nicking satnavs from cars in the SQ, a job?

Maybe it wasn't a photoshoot and they're all in a horrible, desperate situation, ever think of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Are some people not getting sleepers point, really?

Let’s take it at face value that she was evicted yesterday and had nowhere to go.

Do posters honestly believe that herself (and her husband) would not have known months in advance that the day of eviction would happen? Why were they not engaging with the relevant agencies to either a) get some payment plan in place to clear the arrears, b) if a payment plan was not accepted, have alternate housing arrangements in place (even emergency accommodation) that started last night.

I’ve no doubt that there are many homeless agencies who would have advised and assisted these parents. So where is their parental responsibility in ensuring that their kids didn’t end up sleeping the night on hard seats in a Garda station.

Sorry, don’t blame everyone else for your **** ups and don’t use your kids as a photo opportunity.

I do get Sleepers point. But it’s a point that’s based upon hindsight and speculation, which offers absolutely nothing, no solutions, just criticism. What’s the actual point of that? It’s not as though the mother in this case can undo the fact that she has six children, it’s not as though she can undo anything she has done. I’ve experienced people burying their heads in the sand all the time when they find themselves in what they feel are hopeless situations. It’s really not as unusual as it’s being made out to be here. Some people in those situations do a lot worse than turning up at a Garda station hoping that the Gardai can do anything to help them.

She is taking responsibility for her circumstances in which she finds herself and her children, it just so happens that’s not how you imagine she should “take responsibility” for circumstances beyond her control.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    And all the other 8 families are scammers as well?

You didn't answer my question, what are the facts of the case and where did they stay the night before?

stratowide wrote: »

Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

It's getting the Joe Duffy treatment now

Blazer wrote: »
    Well you don’t seem to be giving any suggestions apart from refuting peoples opinions.
    If you’re not capable of debate maybe you should just stay on the Louise o’Neill thread?

What suggestions are you looking for?

What’s the LON thread got to do with anything?

Bizarre post.

You didn't answer my question, what are the facts of the case and where did they stay the night before?

You suspect it to be a scam, I'm just wondering do you think all the other families who showed up to garda stations were scamming too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well if you call lashing around the estate on his horse, drinking with the boys and nicking satnavs from cars in the SQ, a job?

Haha is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Gardai haven't said which station these kids presented too and if 7 other families presented to other garda stations then why wasn't this mentioned in the Garda statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why doesn't this woman get a job and get her own accomodation? What idiot chooses to have 7 kids knowing they can't provide for 1 of them let alone 7.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Gardai haven't said which station these kids presented too and if 7 other families presented to other garda stations then why wasn't this mentioned in the Garda statement?

It's all a major hoax involving the gardaí, the media, the families and so on. In fact the whole homeless crisis is a hoax, the people living on the streets are just mannequins looking for free houses.

• Advertisement

So, the spent last night at a Garda station. Where did they stay the night before last? What are the actual facts and circumstances here?

Smell like a hoax and setup to me.

Where did the other 7 families who presented at Garda stations last night sleep the previous night?

Where did any homeless person sleep the night before they were made homeless.

ALL SCAMMERS

Um you do know they weren’t all in the same Garda station.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The Nal wrote: »
    Haha is this true?

It certainly not the first time he has spent the night in Tallaght Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You’re not even calling her out, you started a thread you had to have known would go to shìt fairly sharpish, and then claimed that her case would be used in future threads about homelessness. Well you started it by taking a dump on her in the first place and fuelling speculation about her circumstances.

It's scammers like her get all homeless a bad name. What usually happens is she becomes the poster child for the cause. Then in coming days or weeks it turns out that she turned down two houses because they weren't next door to her mother. You'll find that her Facebook account dissappears because she might have photos of her family holiday in Disneyland.

Exploiting your children isn't the way to highlight the cause.

stratowide wrote: »

So you don’t believe there has ever been a genuine need to seek emergency shelter at a Garda station and anyone who has ever done this is a scammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Interesting to see that she was out drinking and bought some crystal vases to "treat" herself. Not that I don't think the unemployed should be allowed to but two cases of beer and a naggin are far from a quiet pint and just irresponsible when you've got 7 kids

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's scammers like her get all homeless a bad name. What usually happens is she becomes the poster child for the cause. Then in coming days or weeks it turns out that she turned down two houses because they weren't next door to her mother. You'll find that her Facebook account dissappears because she might have photos of her family holiday in Disneyland.

Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What a C untry .
    Build some houses, there is a whole country to build homes . World does not revolve around Dublin.
    Dublin is nothing like the rest of Ireland. I sometime wonder do the people of Dublin know what it's like elsewhere.
    In Finland if you become homeless they instantly issue you a PERMANENT flat, not move you A-Z forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Well its worked. Travellers though, having loads of kids for more money from the state is standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It's all a major hoax involving the gardaí, the media, the families and so on. In fact the whole homeless crisis is a hoax, the people living on the streets are just mannequins looking for free houses.

Come off it, nowhere did I claim this was a hoax. The woman who posted this picture has had people who know her discredit her though, which I'd put more weight on than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement