Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Nah it wouldn’t.

These baying mob threads convince people that their awful opinions are quite common. They’re not.

Are you saying my opinion is awful?
    I’m pretty sure I could run a poll here on what I wrote and nearly every working person would agree with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-buy-hot-breakfast-for-mother-and-six-kids-forced-to-sleep-in-garda-station-861042.html
    Gardaí have confirmed a homeless family of seven took shelter in one of their Dublin stations last night.

Gardaí said in a statement: "A young mother and her six children (aged from 11 years to 1 year) presented at Tallaght GS during the night as they had nowhere to go.

"Members of An Garda Síochána tried all the emergency lines in relation to homeless shelter and no accommodation was located, a number of local hotels were also phoned.

"The family were cared for during the night by the members working and received a hot breakfast this morning in Tallaght GS. The family have now left the Garda station and are on the way to South Dublin Co-Council, Housing Department."

Mr Flynn said: "Well the mother of the family last night posted the picture herself from Tallaght Garda Station of herself and her family of seven that were actually referred to Tallaght Garda Station last night.

"Alongside that, there were eight other families that were referred to Garda Stations because of a lack of accommodation."

Are people honestly suggesting that the Gardaí have been scammed here and are playing along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Blazer wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure I could run a poll here on what I wrote and nearly every working person would agree with it?

Not me....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I don't get what it is about the Garda statement of the woman being there with her children makes her a genuine case? Nobody's disputing that what the Gardai said about her being there is untrue, people are questioning her necessity for being there. Your argument is a man made of straw :getlost:

Actually before it was noted that the Gardai themselves said she was there until morning there were people on this thread using their amazing Facebook detective skills to say that she left after taking the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

LLMMLL wrote:
    Actually before it was noted that the Gardai themselves said she was there until morning there were people on this thread using their amazing Facebook detective skills to say that she left after taking the photo.

Ah stop, no one tells lies or makes up stuff on Boards or the internet .

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    Actually, the "big picture" here is societal tolerance of irresponsible shagging/feckless breeding - because that is the root cause of six unfortunate kids having to sleep in a Garda Station.

Then again, why should any woman who enjoys a good shag care about the consequences when there are loads of people to throw welfare at her and tell her that she's a victim.

She isn't the victim here - her fatherless kids are.

What’s your solution to this “problem” and how would it affect the children that they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

This thread is descending into the usual round and round bs. The woman in question claims to be homeless, therefore it is up to her (and her supporters on this thread) to prove it.

reason and circumstantial evidence indicates she is a scammer. quotes from her FB page show people calling her out so this page is now gone. (sorry i never got screenshots as evidence)

one side says she is a scammer, other side says prove it.

I say no, YOU prove she is homeless through no fault of her own and deserves all the help she can get.

There are alternatives for people rather than pulling stunts like this, prove why she had to pull this stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Strongly disagree. That way lies the extinction of the Irish race.

Extinction of the Irish "race" ???

What are you on about - you do know there is 7+ Billion people in the world right now yeah ?
    Overpopulation is a serious issue that people stick their heads in the sand over.
    Wouldn't hurt if these people had a lot less kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You have zero idea what happened.

She could have lined up to stay with a friend and it fell through at the last minute.

Has there ever been an event in your life where people made assumptions about what happened and were wrong?

Don't you get it?? She had months & months notice from her landlord. This didn't all happen yesterday. If she engaged with the services she would have had a bed last night the same way she WILL have a bed tonight. The only thing different from today & yesterday is that the services knew about her situation tin the morning instead of the evening.

BTW if her friend let her down at the last minute do you not think she has a cheek posting slagging off the state???

The state can only act when you present yourself to them It doesn't really matter if a friend (some friend) let her down or not. She presented late to services yesterday evening. This is not the fault of DCC or the charities. She then takes photos of her children sleeping in a Garda station & posts it on social media slagging off the services.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

soups05 wrote: »
    This thread is descending into the usual round and round bs. The woman in question claims to be homeless, therefore it is up to her (and her supporters on this thread) to prove it.

reason and circumstantial evidence indicates she is a scammer. quotes from her FB page show people calling her out so this page is now gone. (sorry i never got screenshots as evidence)

I say no, YOU prove she is homeless through no fault of her own and deserves all the help she can get.

There are alternatives for people rather than pulling stunts like this, prove why she had to pull this stunt.

Gardaí have confirmed a homeless family of seven took shelter in one of their Dublin stations last night.

Gardaí said in a statement: "A young mother and her six children (aged from 11 years to 1 year) presented at Tallaght GS during the night as they had nowhere to go.

"Members of An Garda Síochána tried all the emergency lines in relation to homeless shelter and no accommodation was located, a number of local hotels were also phoned.

"The family were cared for during the night by the members working and received a hot breakfast this morning in Tallaght GS. The family have now left the Garda station and are on the way to South Dublin Co-Council, Housing Department."

Mr Flynn said: "Well the mother of the family last night posted the picture herself from Tallaght Garda Station of herself and her family of seven that were actually referred to Tallaght Garda Station last night.

"Alongside that, there were eight other families that were referred to Garda Stations because of a lack of accommodation."

So are the 8 other families scammers too? It's time some people faced reality and looked at the real struggles for many. There's a huge homeless crisis, it's real.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Nope, but the part you 'edited out' by way of revision of your comment was baseless.

Nothing was edited out.

But you always seem to make up sh1te when your argument falls flat as it has here.

She's a scheming scammer and the media are suckers.

Thankfully most normal decent people can see what typwof scheming scammer she is.

TheBlock wrote: »
    Not me....

So what are your thoughts?
    I believe in welfare, I believe in helping people get back on their feet and if they encounter knocks during life there is a cushion there to help them until they get back on their feet.
    Do we need social housing? Absolutely. And people in social housing who have gotten back on their feet should them be encouraged to either pay a fair market rate for the house or rental of it or simply get another place to live in.
    Yes there is the whole housing situation and the ridiculous sky high rents but that’s outside of the equation. What matters is the self entitled attitude of people on welfare. Not all mind you but a lot.
    What I don’t believe in is a welfare entitled culture.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have worked with homeless people & have worked with SVP. I know more about it than you think.

I don’t believe you for a second.

If you worked with SVP then you’d know that they take the stories they are told at face value, even when they suspect someone is exaggerating or outright lying. Because denying a genuine case because of false suspicions is worse than giving help to someone who is not genuine.

So either you didn’t work for them or you didn’t learn any lessons from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

What’s your solution to this “problem” and how would it affect the children that they have?

the solution is a simple one. a pregnancy lasts for 9 months, so lets set a limit at 1 year.

announce now that from next august the benefits will change. cap the limit at two kids ( thats what the average worker can afford) and after that your on your own.

ie you get the benefits for child one and two but no more after that. the current families would be exempt as they made the choice to have kids under the current rules.

no one, ever, will be offered a four bedroom house. you want one, buy your own. if you have 19 kids and counting then fit them all in 3 bedrooms.

This will not solve the current crisis but will break the endless cycle of single mum, multiple kids, who then grow up into single mums with multiple kids.

Let's see how many would be having 6/7/8 kids after that law comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

CeilingFly wrote:
    But you always seem to make up sh1te when your argument falls flat as it has here.

Ironic, considering what you made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

dav3 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-buy-hot-breakfast-for-mother-and-six-kids-forced-to-sleep-in-garda-station-861042.html

Are people honestly suggesting that the Gardaí have been scammed here and are playing along with it?
    No, we're saying she left it too late on purpose and the Gardai had no choice but to play along with it...

the proof is that, as stated, she would have had lots of notice before eviction.

so why wait till last night? why not make arrangements for housing before having to go to a garda station?

that is the evidence that she is a scam artist.

prove she is not by showing how she could end up at a garda station with 6 kids, no hubby. where are her belongings? the kids clothes etc? where are her family and friends, why do they not help?

It’s evidence of nothing.

I went on holidays a few years back. Organised everything with a friend. We show up to the hotel on the first day. Friend had booked wrong dates.

So if you didn’t know the full details you might say I was disorganised, rocking up to the hotel without a booking relying on chance etc.

Things can randomly go wrong at the last minute. I’d almost 100% guarantee things have gone wrong for you at the last moment at some point in your life.

Don’t pretend it’s evidence.

Blazer wrote: »

it’s nonsense to say what would happen IF you ran the poll. You’re just making up results you haven’t got. Worst kind of argument ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

regardless of social background and whether this is a staged photo, ultimately this family and many more are on the breadline/homeless, it's a serious problem and i have no doubt this family is indeed homeless. Why did she have so many kids, i do not know, but a lot of the time this is due to social status, little money, little education, boredom even, the odd time it is due to a business going bust, i knew a family that were doing very well in the 90's and decided to expand, approx 3 years later they lost everything and ironically ended up living in the camper van the guy used to proudly display in his large driveway. nuts

either way the government needs to action homelessness and substance abuse issues in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I get it she is homeless. I feel sorry for that & I feel sorry for all homeless people. I don't need a lecture on homeless people I seen it first hand..

I'm not saying homeless people shouldn't be housed & I fight for homeless people. Just because I call out a scam artist doesn't mean I don't support homeless people. In fact I call her out because she is hurting the homeless cause with her nonsense.

You’re not even calling her out, you started a thread you had to have known would go to shìt fairly sharpish, and then claimed that her case would be used in future threads about homelessness. Well you started it by taking a dump on her in the first place and fuelling speculation about her circumstances.

Do you only feel sorry for her or all homeless people??

Anyone who is homeless needs help, they don’t need pity, pity does nothing for anyone only the person who pities people, pretty much the same as passing judgement upon people does nothing for them, only the person passing judgement.

Do you not feel sorry for the homeless people ahead of her on the list that she is trying to cheat out of their place??

I have no time for attention seekers setting up photo shoots in Garda stations, camping outside DCC offices etc trying to STEAL someone elses place on the list. There are rules & everyone needs to play by the rules

You know that the housing list is based upon prioritising people who have a greater necessity, places aren’t reserved on the list for anyone, so she isn’t taking anyone’s “place” or cheating anyone out of “their place” on the list. I think this case highlights the fact that the rules need to change, rather than telling people they need to “play by the rules” when they find themselves in a situation where they’re at rock bottom and in a desperate situation. That’s just incredibly patronising tbh, especially when you imagine they need to “wait their turn” when the housing list is based upon prioritising people and their families in order of necessity, not turns based.

You’ve no time for people who don’t fit your own narrative of people who are homeless, that’s all it is really. There’s plenty you can do about that though, like actually reserving judgement and instead of castigating people in desperate situations, try and see how you can actually help them.

• Advertisement

Are some people not getting sleepers point, really?

Let’s take it at face value that she was evicted yesterday and had nowhere to go.

Do posters honestly believe that herself (and her husband) would not have known months in advance that the day of eviction would happen? Why were they not engaging with the relevant agencies to either a) get some payment plan in place to clear the arrears, b) if a payment plan was not accepted, have alternate housing arrangements in place (even emergency accommodation) that started last night.

I’ve no doubt that there are many homeless agencies who would have advised and assisted these parents. So where is their parental responsibility in ensuring that their kids didn’t end up sleeping the night on hard seats in a Garda station.

Sorry, don’t blame everyone else for your **** ups and don’t use your kids as a photo opportunity.

Eh no. The gardai have said she presented as homeless last night. You’re claiming it’s a scam. Prove it’s a scam. (See how this works?)

Dear lord. If you’re taking FB as evidence then you don’t know the meaning of the word “reason”.

I imagine your definition of “through no fault of her own” is quite harsh. Do the kids deserve help in your harsh authoritarian world?

Since you’re so obsessed with proof you’d have to prove it’s a stunt first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well, we don't have free abortions in this country

We have contraception. Use it.

it’s nonsense to say what would happen IF you ran the poll. You’re just making up results you haven’t got. Worst kind of argument ever.

Well you don’t seem to be giving any suggestions apart from refuting peoples opinions.
    If you’re not capable of debate maybe you should just stay on the Louise o’Neill thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So this popped dated from 2015 bottom half of the article .
    I believe this is the same family again

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/no-solution-in-sight-with-ongoing-homeless-crisis

Don't you get it?? She had months & months notice from her landlord. This didn't all happen yesterday. If she engaged with the services she would have had a bed last night the same way she WILL have a bed tonight. The only thing different from today & yesterday is that the services knew about her situation tin the morning instead of the evening.

BTW if her friend let her down at the last minute do you not think she has a cheek posting slagging off the state???

The state can only act when you present yourself to them It doesn't really matter if a friend (some friend) let her down or not. She presented late to services yesterday evening. This is not the fault of DCC or the charities. She then takes photos of her children sleeping in a Garda station & posts it on social media slagging off the services.

Wait so now you’ve gone from claiming it’s a scam to it possibly just her being cheeky in criticising the state?

So basically you know nothing about the circumstances at all and all your talk of FB evidence that she’s a scammer was nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

if it is that same family, i wonder is the father working now or has done since! if not, it's hard to feel for them really, sorry for the kids involved! anyway...

So are the 8 other families scammers too? It's time some people faced reality and looked at the real struggles for many. There's a huge homeless crisis, it's real.

Yes I think everyone else missed this bit of info.

So why did these other families end up presenting to Garda stations if this is all a scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Gatling wrote: »
    So this popped dated from 2015 bottom half of the article .
    I believe this is the same family again

http://www.echo.ie/tallaght/article/no-solution-in-sight-with-ongoing-homeless-crisis

so they had another child since...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So, the spent last night at a Garda station. Where did they stay the night before last? What are the actual facts and circumstances here?

Smell like a hoax and setup to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement