Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

No father on the scene: No-one has a clue what was happening there. Could be a domestic violence case for as all as we know.

Not a photoshoot: Garda confirmed they were cared for through the night.

School uniforms: They're not school uniforms.

Publicity Stunt: What else should they do? Break into a disused house? We all know how well that's being received.

I think there's posters on here that would only be happy if the mother was sterilised and the kids taken off her, and the mother let to rot on the streets.

Shame on you.

If you had seen her FB profile before she deleted it when caught out. She is regularly out on the sesh and organizing/attending lavish traveller weddings/events. I would bet anything her daughter's recent communion dress costs more than i bring in in a week before tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No father on the scene: No-one has a clue what was happening there. Could be a domestic violence case for as all as we know.

Publicity Stunt: What else should they do? Break into a disused house? We all know how well that's being received.
    I applaud your attempt to keep this this thread in a rational place, though I fear it may be futile.

Honest question: What's the "story" here? What makes this case exceptional, versus someone who had to sleep in Tallaght GS last week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

I think there's posters on here that would only be happy if the mother was sterilised and the kids taken off her, and the mother let to rot on the streets.

Shame on you.

Thats not it at all, imagine we all decided we would have multiple kids with different fathers, no job, and expect the state to look after us, the country would immediately shut down, all we are saying is, people need to take responsibility for their actions, if you decide to go out and have 6 kids outside of a stable environment where the father(s) just feck off when it suits them, its just not on, equally and even more so, these fathers of these kids are a disgrace, again they take no responsibility for their actions, they go around having loads of kids with different women and expect the state to look after them, its the kids i feel sorry for but what chance have they and the cycle just repeats itself when they grow up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

gctest50 wrote: »
    and all on the same week this happened :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899507

wow what are the odds

Almost like it's an orchestrated campaign by the usual vested interests!

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    All said from the safety of anonymity and a keyboard. lol.

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

if thats the case then she must have been in 6 abusive relationships because i think its a pretty safe bet that all 6 kids dont have the same father

And with that, I exit for lunch :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

When many Irish people were starving to death in the 1840's, there were some who not only refused to help but stored food and made profits at the expense of the rest. This sort of greedy and non compassionate person is still clearly alive and well in Ireland today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ditto

True, but I ain't delivering a rallying call.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    True, but I ain't delivering a rallying call.

Hence lies the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Shocking situation. The kids will never forget this.

Shocking comments on this thread.

There are shocking comments about this "mother" because she set the whole thing up. If she presented herself as homeless yesterday morning she would have had beds for her children last night. I'm as certain of that as I am certain that she WILL have beds for her children tonight. She deliberately left it too late yesterday evening when she presented herself as homeless

Let me explain

She lived in the same place for 11 years. She didn't wake up yesterday to find the landlord changing the locks. She had notice in writing. She had MONTHS to prepare for this.

Had she gone to Peter McVerry yesterday morning he would have found her somewhere. DCC would have found her a hostel if she didn't leave it till yesterday evening

There are some VERY genuine cases on the homeless / housing list & this woman thinks it's ok to exploit her children to try cheat someone following all the rules looking for housing. It's the bottom of the list is where she belongs. What she is trying to do is not fair on the people on the housing list ahead of her

• Advertisement

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    When many Irish people were starving to death in the 1840's, there were some who not only refused to help but stored food and made profits at the expense of the rest. This sort of greedy and non compassionate person is still clearly alive and well in Ireland today.

Dont dare compare the poor individuals who suffered throughout the famine with this opportunist woman who is prepared to expose her children to a media circus for her own benefit rather than do what the rest of us do and work hard for what we have as opposed to relying to the state to do it due to irresponsibility and bone idleness

Dont dare compare the poor individuals who suffered throughout the famine with this opportunist woman who is prepared to expose her children to a media circus for her own benefit rather than do what the rest of us do and work hard for what we have as opposed to relying to the state to do it due to irresponsibility and bone idleness

Read the Garda statement, are you calling them liars?

People are suffering and barely surviving in this state. Some people here obviously have no clue about how bad it is for some. Struggles for them is not having a second holiday per year, for many others, it's not having a roof over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fair play to you Blazer, about time someone came out and said it, its time the working man and woman stood up and stopped getting walked on

The thing is a lot of working people are saying this. I cannot fathom how political parties are ignoring it.
    Is it because we’re not vocal enough? I’m often thought about setting up a new party that places the working people as the heart of the party but I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.
    I’m also the father of 2 kids with ASD so wouldn’t have the time.
    The rub is if I was unemployed I would be a shoe in for a council house with the kids as the local TD told my missus but because I have a great paying job I have to do it the proper way of saving and paying it myself and rightly so.
    It’s sickening to see so called people take advantage of the system and I have seen extended members of my own family do this.

Yes. She posted photos of her children in a Garda station last night. She is greedy, selfish & non compassionate to people ahead of her in the queue

It's easy to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for her. I do myself. I'd love her to be housed but I feel more sorry for the people she is trying to cheat out of their place on the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There are shocking comments about this "mother" because she set the whole thing up. If she presented herself as homeless yesterday morning she would have had beds for her children last night. I'm as certain of that as I am certain that she WILL have beds for her children tonight. She deliberately left it too late yesterday evening when she presented herself as homeless

Let me explain

She lived in the same place for 11 years. She didn't wake up yesterday to find the landlord changing the locks. She had notice in writing. She had MONTHS to prepare for this.

Had she gone to Peter McVerry yesterday morning he would have found her somewhere. DCC would have found her a hostel if she didn't leave it till yesterday evening

There are some VERY genuine cases on the homeless / housing list & this woman thinks it's ok to exploit her children to try cheat someone following all the rules looking for housing. It's the bottom of the list is where she belongs. What she is trying to do is not fair on the people on the housing list ahead of her

Hearsay and gossip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Let me explain

Has anyone seen that UK based show "Can't Pay We'll Take It Away"?

Case on it the other week - mother had not paid the small contribution to rent for some time, nearly #6,000GBP built up. How long would that take to amasss when you're only paying a few quid a week ?

Contact after contact after contact - visits - County Court actions, nothing - ultimately went for eviction via the High Court bailiffs.

Her whining was "you've given us an hour to get out". How ridiculous! No one gets to live n someone else's property for free. Or they shouldn't!

Place was left like a midden afterwards. And yet there are some on here who condemn landlords.

Blazer wrote: »
    The thing is a lot of working people are saying this. I cannot fathom how political parties are ignoring it.
    Is it because we’re not vocal enough? I’m often thought about setting up a new party that places the working people as the heart of the party but I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.
    The rub is if I was unemployed I would be a shoe in for a council house with the kids as the local TD told my missus but because I have a great paying job I have to do it the proper way of saving and paying it myself and rightly so.
    It’s sickening to see so called people take advantage of the system and I have seen extended members of my own family do this.

There are loads of working families struggling. Some people are earning 20,000 and less per annum. Putting food on the table is really difficult, never mind paying for rent or a mortgage!

Thats not it at all, imagine we all decided we would have multiple kids with different fathers, no job, and expect the state to look after us, the country would immediately shut down, all we are saying is, people need to take responsibility for their actions, if you decide to go out and have 6 kids outside of a stable environment where the father(s) just feck off when it suits them, its just not on, equally and even more so, these fathers of these kids are a disgrace, again they take no responsibility for their actions, they go around having loads of kids with different women and expect the state to look after them, its the kids i feel sorry for but what chance have they and the cycle just repeats itself when they grow up

Would you do it? I assume not.

I wouldn't do it either.

The country would not grind to a halt with decent safety nets for people. People are generally too ambitious for that.

Yes. She posted photos of her children in a Garda station last night. She is greedy, selfish & non compassionate to people ahead of her in the queue

It's easy to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for her. I do myself. I'd love her to be housed but I feel more sorry for the people she is trying to cheat out of their place on the housing list.

She and her poor kids need help. Instead of hoping for that, many here are shouting about punishing her.

The gardaí have released a statement, this was not a set up.

I think that is the issue, working people are not vocal enough, working people just get the head down and get on with things wheras politicians target the long term unemployed, single mothers etc because if they look after them with a pair of runners for the young lad or a council house, they know its a guaranteed vote

It is absolutely soul destroying to see people defraud the system when good people like yourself and doing things the right way, all i can say it fair play to you and pity there arent more like you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Sleeper12 wrote:

Can you prove any of the above? Otherwise it would be safe to assume it's nothing more than gossip.

Would you do it? I assume not.

I wouldn't do it either.

The country would not grind to a halt with decent safety nets for people. People are generally too ambitious for that.

exactly but thats the point, because the majority of us work and pay taxes it allows the likes of this woman to abuse the system

There are loads of working families struggling. Some people are earning 20,000 and less per annum. Putting food on the table is really difficult, never mind paying for rent or a mortgage!

They are the people that should be granted help, not someone who decides to haul her kids into a cop shop so she can get a free house

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hearsay and gossip.

John it's how it works. It's not Hearsay and gossip to state that she had months notice. You can be certain that that's the first thing she would have posted if the landlord illegally put her on the streets. It is a fact that had she engaged with DCC & homeless charities before yesterday evening she would have had a bed for her children last night. I'm that positive that I'd gladly bet that she has a bed for tonight. Same bed she could have had last night if she really wanted.

They are the people that should be granted help, not someone who decides to haul her kids into a cop shop so she can get a free house

No such thing as a free house and like I've already asked, are you calling the Gardaí liars?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No such thing as a free house

Explain the 70 million owned to local authorities for unpaid rents and arrears

No such thing as a free house and like I've already asked, are you calling the Gardaí liars?

correct, no such thing as a free house, someone has to pay for it and in this case its the tax payer

am i calling the gardai liars? how would they know if it was orchestrated or not? of course it was orchestrated, what sort of a woman brings her kids into a cop shop tells them to lie down on the chairs and takes pictures of them and posts them online so she can skip the housing list, disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My bad. Instead of saying "mother" I should have posted unfit mother.

I honestly believe social services should investigate a "mother" who would use her children in such a fashion.

How is the mother in this case an unfit mother? I would suggest she was rather more unfortunate than unfit, but she’s doing something as opposed to doing nothing or relying solely on social services for assistance. Social services may well be involved, but having worked in the homeless services sector I’m sure you’re no doubt aware of how under-resourced they are that they simply don’t have the resources to investigate every single case that is reported to them, let alone have they the means to do anything about it. That’s exactly why families like the mother and her children in this case are forced to report to Garda stations seeking accommodation for the night. The Gardai in these situations can’t do a whole lot other than contact homeless services on their behalf.

A real mother or father for that matter wouldn't use their children like that. I don't think for a second that between the parents (there's at least two) they couldn't place the children with the grandparents, aunts, uncles or friends. It certainly looks like "Daddy" found a place to stay. Oh yeah photo wouldn't look as shocking if "daddy" was there

Jesus, that on it’s own is a fairly spiteful and ignorant thing to be saying. It’s not in the least bit surprising though as I’ve heard it many times, even from people who work in homeless services. Their attitude stinks, I don’t know you so I’m not going to judge you as a person on the basis of one stupid, ill-informed comment.

I have campaigned for homeless people for years. I have done work with SVP over the years. I am usually on the other side of the argument here on boards when it comes to homeless people but Jasus there's no defending this "mothers" actions. I'm not a crackpot claiming that there is no homeless problem because I've seen it first hand. We have a terrible homeless problem however I have no time for a "mother" like this using her children to try get bumped up on the housing list in such a manner.

Her actions are the actions of someone in a desperate situation. That she doesn’t fit your narrative of people who are homeless isn’t surprising. I’ve experienced what is thankfully only a handful of people working in homeless services with the same attitude towards the people they claim to want to help, and it always turns out that the help they offer is predicated on people meeting their perceived notions of what people who are homeless should be and should and shouldn’t be doing. It isn’t at all based upon simply helping someone because they need help and support. It’s more about passing judgment and them deciding who is and isn’t worthy of their help.

Using your children in a fake photo shoot like that, apart from it being unfair on your children as it's exploiting them, it's also VERY unfair on the people on the housing list that she's trying to skip. She is trying to skip the queue by lying & cheating. The right thing to do is wait your turn like most other people.

“The right thing to do”, when they’re homeless, is to do anything which means the mother and her children in this case aren’t homeless. “Waiting her turn” would mean she and her children would continue to be homeless and continue to be subjected to judgement and stinking attitudes from people who claim they aren’t “worthy” of their help. People who find themselves experiencing homelessness are better advocating for themselves rather than depending on people who appear to be only interested in passing judgement upon them for help. That’s not helping anyone only the person passing judgement, enabling them to stroke their own egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I want a political party that comes out and says they will prioritize working people, initiate huge crackdowns on welfare fraud , limit children allowance, expand and support a modern police support and crack down on criminal activity. That party would be elected in a heartbeat I reckon?,

Nah it wouldn’t.

These baying mob threads convince people that their awful opinions are quite common. They’re not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Trailer parks and charge rent out of their "entitlements".thats the only solution I can think of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement