Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wheety wrote: »
    What do people seriously think is the solution? Free houses for everyone?

Of course. Next up then is free nappies for all the sprogs, then free sky tv so the kids can watch tv when it’s wet outdoors and of course mama will need a night out to relax from the stresses of looking after 10 children.
    The whole social housing is a complete scam.
    There should be a huge crackdown on so called single moms claiming to live alone.
    The government needs to implement a crackdown on kids allowance and start restricting it to 2 kids max.
    Sure there’s the whole argument about we need more young people working for the future but I’m pretty sure that out of a 100 families all taking the piss you can be sure that even if 10% of them get a job and pay their way the other 90% are breeding like rabbits to take the piss out of the system.
    I want a political party that comes out and says they will prioritize working people, initiate huge crackdowns on welfare fraud , limit children allowance, expand and support a modern police support and crack down on criminal activity. That party would be elected in a heartbeat I reckon?,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gatling wrote: »
    They rocked up to the station for a publicity stunt .
    The gardai didn't ask them to pose for photos but somebody did pose them.
    That's so obvious .

The reason I pointed out it wasn’t as though they rocked up to the Garda station and posed for photos is because it isn’t obvious that’s what they did. From what I can gather, the mother in question took the photo and posted it to social media. The only thing that’s obvious is that people are drawing their own conclusions.

And there is genuine homeless cases and not so genuine cases regularly debunked

If someone doesn’t have a home, they’re homeless. This idea of “genuine” and I suppose “fake” homelessness cases is based upon nothing more than people speculating and drawing their own conclusions on the basis of very limited information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

To show they are of school going age of course.

Probably just after getting the back to school grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

What do people seriously think is the solution? Free houses for everyone?

way back in the 90s I was on the housing list for 3 years. A few things were made very very clear to me.
    1 refuse a house and go back to bottom of list
    2 refuse a house and no more rent supplement, you pay your rent on your own
    3 fail to pay council rent and you were out on the streets and no housing list for you.

today it appears you can turn down a house for no reason, still get HAP, refuse to pay private landlords rent, then just rock up to a newspaper with a story about how you are homeless.

there is even a fb post supporting this woman which claims her 8th child was not there, (no mention of 7th child for some reason)

so which is it? 6 kids,7 kids or 8 kids. and why should others have to support her bad choices.

the solution is to stop letting people like this make demands. when the hand goes out its a case of here you go, take it or leave it. if you leave it then fk off and provide for yourself.

I was grateful to get my house. I got a job, I worked my ass off, got a 2nd job and finally got a mortgage. Everyone needs a hand up at some point in their lives, but relying on it makes it a handout and is no way to live a life.

As long as these sorts can use stunts to try to gain sympathy and jump the list then these stunts will continue. Put the foot down, no more bs. instead of softly softly start interviews with questions like

wheres the father
    why did you get evicted
    have you ever refused a house

frame the story as look at this cheeky mare not look at this poor woman. make them think twice about doing this in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where are the fathers in all of this.

What kind of man doesn't provide for his children. It's their number one function as a father for god's sake.

Disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Blazer wrote: »
    Of course. Next up then is free nappies for all the sprogs, then free sky tv so the kids can watch tv when it’s wet outdoors and of course mama will need a night out to relax from the stresses of looking after 10 children.
    There should be a huge crackdown on so called single moms claiming to live alone.
    The government needs to implement a crackdown on kids allowance and start restricting it to 2 kids max.
    Sure there’s the whole argument about we need more young people working for the future but I’m pretty sure that out of a 100 families all taking the piss you can be sure that even if 10% of them get a job and pay their way the other 90% are breeding like rabbits to take the piss out of the system.
    I want a political party that comes out and says they will prioritize working people, initiate huge crackdowns on welfare fraud , limit children allowance, expand and support a modern police support and crack down on criminal activity. That party would be elected in a heartbeat I reckon?,
    I don't know much about politics, but I can't understand why this isn't the current status quo of established parties. A party like the one you outlined would definitely get my vote anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Well, we don't have free abortions in this country, so if they became pregnant, what could they do? Throw the woman down the stairs like the good old days?

Yeah cos they're the only two options!

Perhaps they could do what the majority of responsible private renters and mortgage payers do - they seem to be able to limit themselves to 0-2 children, given that they have no option but to do so.

Perhaps they could provide handy hints like contraception ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

It's been a bad couple of days for the government and Fine Gael in relation to housing. Without any ministers around due to them all being on holiday, they've left it up to the kids from young fine gael to deal with the fallout online, and it shows.

The homeless crisis, the rent crisis, the housing crisis are all linked. It effects all people, of all backgrounds across the country. It will bring down the government and Fine Gael TDs will lose their seats due to the perception of them being in landlords pockets.

Mocking, ridiculing and dismissing people who can't afford to buy a house, or afford rent, or find themselves homeless, is not the greatest of strategies by Fine Gael I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

wexie wrote: »
    What way? The way of only having so many kids as you can afford to look after?
    (preferably with the same partner as well if you want to be finicky about it)

Yeah. Because alot of people will never have kids. There is a sort of scum class in this country say that they can never afford to have kids at all. I am talking about shop managers and accountants. People like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

A publicity stunt? It’s not as though the woman and her children rocked up to the Garda station and were told by Gardai to pose on the benches like they’re asleep for a photo op.

Where is the children’s father? Not there, obviously.

And I wasn’t aware there was any difference between people who are homeless and... people who are homeless? What’s this genuine cases stuff about, or mother in inverted commas? I’m fairly certain whatever about the father, she is the children’s mother.

You started this thread, slinging as much mud as you could at the mother in this case! Honestly, if that’s how you advocate for what you call “genuinely” homeless people, I wouldn’t want you within 100 miles of anyone experiencing homelessness.

My bad. Instead of saying "mother" I should have posted unfit mother.

I honestly believe social services should investigate a "mother" who would use her children in such a fashion.

A real mother or father for that matter wouldn't use their children like that. I don't think for a second that between the parents (there's at least two) they couldn't place the children with the grandparents, aunts, uncles or friends. It certainly looks like "Daddy" found a place to stay. Oh yeah photo wouldn't look as shocking if "daddy" was there

I have campaigned for homeless people for years. I have done work with SVP over the years. I am usually on the other side of the argument here on boards when it comes to homeless people but Jasus there's no defending this "mothers" actions. I'm not a crackpot claiming that there is no homeless problem because I've seen it first hand. We have a terrible homeless problem however I have no time for a "mother" like this using her children to try get bumped up on the housing list in such a manner.

Using your children in a fake photo shoot like that, apart from it being unfair on your children as it's exploiting them, it's also VERY unfair on the people on the housing list that she's trying to skip. She is trying to skip the queue by lying & cheating. The right thing to do is wait your turn like most other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't know much
    Well realising that is the first step to fixing it.

I don't know much about politics
    mmm hmmm

I don't know much about politics, but I can't understand why this isn't the current status quo of established parties
    go onnnnnn
    I don't know much about politics, but I can't understand why this isn't the current status quo of established parties. A party like the one you outlined would definitely get my vote anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Regardless of it being set up or not, I seen this pic this morning, and did not register the uniforms.

On the uniform subject, if the picture is at all genuine, with the cost of kids clothing, school uniform being an essential, could be amongst the only clothes they have. I have reelection of kids wearing parts of it on a Saturday. I know it was uniform, as I had only left the same school that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Gatling wrote: »
    They rocked up to the station for a publicity stunt .
    The gardai didn't ask them to pose for photos but somebody did pose them.
    That's so obvious .

And there is genuine homeless cases and not so genuine cases regularly debunked

Totally agree

It's killing me that I find myself in total agreement with posters that I'd usually spent hours disagreeing with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oh but they do when they are being used as a prop to hoodwink well meaning but very naive people.

Who is naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hopefully Erica steps in and shows the mother how to get her forever home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

dav3 wrote: »
    The homeless crisis, the rent crisis, the housing crisis are all linked. It effects all people, of all backgrounds across the country. It will bring down the government and Fine Gael TDs will lose their seats due to the perception of them being in landlords pockets.

Its a disaster and its screwing thousands.

But it wont bring down the government because the situation suits a certain amount of the population, and also a lot of the loudest opposition parties have feckall solutions either. (and no interest in going into government)

Now dropping property prices.... That might bring it down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Whatever about the optics, folks, many of us could end up homeless through no cause of our own and some of us have kids.I don't know the full story with that woman and neither do we.

They're children at the end of the day, and didn't ask to be in that situation.

I'd be the first to rip the piss out of some of the more far shore notions of the left commentariat these days but there's an awful lot of hard hearted people on this forum these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Yeah. Because alot of people will never have kids. There is a sort of scum class in this country say that they can never afford to have kids at all. I am talking about shop managers and accountants. People like that.

WTF are you on about?

Lux23 wrote: »
    Who is naive?

Anyone who believes this in its entirety without asking pertinent questions.

Whatever about the optics, folks, many of us could end up homeless through no cause of our own and some of us have kids.

They're children at the end of the day, and didn't ask to be in that situation.

I'd be the first to rip the piss out of some of the more far shore notions of the left but there's a lot of hard hearted people on this forum these days.

And you will note NO ONE is criticising the kids.

We are quite rightly criticising the feckless parents and saying the kids deserve better than someone who either had them for money or for being too stupid to use contraception - and then does not provide for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Shocking situation. The kids will never forget this.

Shocking comments on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I totally believe that we have a massive housing shortage & homeless crises but six young kids setup for a publicity stunt like this??

Six kids. Where is the father/ fathers??

I'm sick to death of people like this setting up publicity stunts in the hope that they get to skip the queue.It's the likes of this "mother" that gives genuine homeless people a bad rep
    EDIT: LINK

Couldnt agree more with this statement, there are of course genuine homeless people out there but this "mother" is not one of them, the fact that she would use her children as a publicity stunt is a disgrace, of course she will now get to skip the queue and be placed in a nice little pad picking up a nice bit of childrens allowance, dole, single mother allowance etc all on the tax payers tab
    No father(s) on the scene as usual, happy to take absolutely no responsibility for her actions and let the state and the taxpayer sort it out for her, bloody disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

And you will note NO ONE is criticising the kids.

We are quite rightly criticising the feckless parents and saying the kids deserve better than someone who either had them for money or for being too stupid to use contraception - and then does not provide for them.

I haven't a clue that this is actually the case here.

I have two kids. We had them when we were in the same OK financial situation we're in now. If that changed catastrophically in the future, we'd still have the kids.

Who knows really. She could be fleeing an abusive relationship for all I know.

No father on the scene: No-one has a clue what was happening there. Could be a domestic violence case for as all as we know.

Not a photoshoot: Garda confirmed they were cared for through the night.

School uniforms: They're not school uniforms.

Publicity Stunt: What else should they do? Break into a disused house? We all know how well that's being received.

I think there's posters on here that would only be happy if the mother was sterilised and the kids taken off her, and the mother let to rot on the streets.

Shame on you.

Blazer wrote: »

Fair play to you Blazer, about time someone came out and said it, its time the working man and woman stood up and stopped getting walked on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

and all on the same week this happened :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899507

wow what are the odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

That's the thing, little in the way of information here. But incredible amounts of assumptions being made.

I haven't a clue that this is actually the case here.

I have two kids. We had them when we were in the same OK financial situation we're in now. If that changed catastrophically in the future, we'd still have the kids.

if thats the case then she must have been in 6 abusive relationships because i think its a pretty safe bet that all 6 kids dont have the same father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Fair play to you Blazer, about time someone came out and said it, its time the working man and woman stood up and stopped getting walked on

All said from the safety of anonymity and a keyboard. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

if thats the case then she must have been in 6 abusive relationships because i think its a pretty safe bet that all 6 kids dont have the same father

I believe mammy and daddy are married in this case and no multiple daddies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement