Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

My sentiments exactly. No doubt this topic will be covered in the media today, but not one single correspondent/reporter will question the authenticity of this case or, in the event that it is true, will ask the hard questions. I heard some mouthpiece on the radio yesterday complaining about the lack of housing for her and her FIVE kids. The presenter (think it was Boucher-Hayes standing in for Joe Duffy) did not for a second query her on her own job situation, if the father/fathers of the five kids were present with her (no mention of father, so I presume not), the job situation of the father/fathers, etc. I've no doubt that woman is picking up childrens allowance for all 5 of her kids, so not alone is the state (i.e. you and I who pay tax) paying for her kids, but she wants a free house as well. These people need a bloody wake up call and take responsibility for their actions, but I guess this is the outcome when a culture of freeloading is left to fester.
    I do feel sorry for the genuine cases out there, but the media tend to focus on these bleeding-heart cases, most of which are completely disingenuous.

Just a heads up - soon there'll be incoming from the "it's not a free house" mob.

You know those who fail to see that if you contribute zero and are given money and then use that free money to pay (sometimes) vastly reduced rent, then the dwelling is effectively free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Lux23 wrote: »
    What the f**k does it matter if they're wearing school uniforms? Kids shouldn't be sleeping in a Garda station at any time, wearing anything.

This is what is wrong with public discourse this day, people pick tiny little holes and then refuse to look at the bigger picture which is a homelessness and housing crisis which is now endemic and getting worse. The school uniforms don't matter a jot!!!
    I don't think asking why a person thinks that it's ok for strangers to feed, house, clothe etc any child they have now or in the future is a small hole to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So according to several people on FB who went to tallaght Garda station to help this lady her and the kids were nowhere to be seen ,she apparently made another post claiming she was actually in tallaght hospital at the time of the photos being taken and the kids were staying with her sister .

Her FB account has been actually removed

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

She deleted her FB account when she was called out by people who knew her. She was in a HAP paid house but had no interest in contributing to the rent. A look at her FB shows her out drinking every night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Gatling wrote: »
    So according to several people on FB who went to tallaght Garda station to help this lady her and the kids were nowhere to be seen ,she apparently made another post claiming she was actually in tallaght hospital at the time of the photos being taken and the kids were staying with her sister .

Anthony from Inner City Helping Homeless on RTE radio 1 now talking about the seven children sleping in a garda station last night.

Ten families presented to garda stations last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have read one article where the Guards say that a family presented themselves last nigh as homeless.

That's not to say that they didn't leave after the photos were taken

Yet another link to coverage
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/homeless-children-spend-night-on-chairs-in-tallaght-garda-station-1.3590748

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

beertons wrote: »
    Will she conceive a 7th, whilst sleeping on those benches?

She probably will, these things just happen you know ?
    That is literally the attitude these people have.

Well whether true or not its just been broadcast unquestioningly on RTE radio. No questions asked.

Oh wait, the next item is Paddy O'Gorman going down to the social welfare office in Tallaght.

(RTE radio is so confused this morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even if we take the entire thing at face value, there's a severe lack of info. Why were they "suddenly" homeless? Where did they go for help? When? Who told them to go to the Garda station?

As said above, this is standard practice if someone presents themselves in urgent need out-of-hours; a Garda station is the most secure place someone can be overnight until the problem can be dealt with the next day. In isolation a family sleeping in a Garda station looks bad, but it's the best place to put them at short notice, for a single night.

Finding it hard to get outraged here. If this was day 3 and they were still sleeping there and nobody helping them, maybe you have a story. Otherwise, it's a publicity stunt. Like that prick sleeping in her car and whinging on the media about the council house that was too far from her Ma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

http://www.radiokerry.ie/work-conserving-kerry-slug-part-macroom-bypass-costing-e2-million/

But the poor slugs? (Has this been mentioned?)

I guess this proves money can be found when needed and regardless of how ridiculous the cause may appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Is she in there having her 8th I wonder?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have read one article where the Guards say that a family presented themselves last nigh as homeless.

That's not to say that they didn't leave after the photos were taken

One say one family another said 7 families ,

I don't believe any of it ,

Especially where it was claimed detectives bought breakfast this morning for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well whether true or not its just been broadcast unquestioningly on RTE radio. No questions asked.

Oh wait, the next item is Paddy O'Gorman going down to the social welfare office in Tallaght.

(RTE radio is so confused this morning)
    Not surprised in the slightest, see my previous post! RTE will be salivating over this "controversy"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I totally believe that we have a massive housing shortage & homeless crises but six young kids setup for a publicity stunt like this??

Six kids. Where is the father/ fathers??

I'm sick to death of people like this setting up publicity stunts in the hope that they get to skip the queue.It's the likes of this "mother" that gives genuine homeless people a bad rep

A publicity stunt? It’s not as though the woman and her children rocked up to the Garda station and were told by Gardai to pose on the benches like they’re asleep for a photo op.

Where is the children’s father? Not there, obviously.

And I wasn’t aware there was any difference between people who are homeless and... people who are homeless? What’s this genuine cases stuff about, or mother in inverted commas? I’m fairly certain whatever about the father, she is the children’s mother.

I'm usually on threads defending homeless people but this prendy ****e makes me sick. In future debates here on boards.ie this mother will be used as mud to throw at the debate.

You started this thread, slinging as much mud as you could at the mother in this case! Honestly, if that’s how you advocate for what you call “genuinely” homeless people, I wouldn’t want you within 100 miles of anyone experiencing homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

posy2010 wrote: »
    She deleted her FB account when she was called out by people who knew her. She was in a HAP paid house but had no interest in contributing to the rent. A look at her FB shows her out drinking every night too.

Good to see people and colleagues of her's calling bull**** on this. She got completely exposed.

This stunt is simply emotional manipulation. Ah Telpis!
    The mother is content to exploit her children in such a way.

She is likely getting €2,012 a month in benefits (jobseeker-children allowance-HAP benefit) and presumably couldn't spare the €30 a week from her benefits to contribute towards getting the HAP benefit. The father is presumably getting an additional €792 himself. I am assuming there is just one in this scenario. So 3k a month to budget with all in.

Yet it's all the homeless services fault. Everyone else is to blame for her situation and for 'forcing' these children into this situation.

It's brilliant that people are helping see the reality by calling her out on this, her manipulative bent is that you are supposed to feel sorry and appalled and you would be a cretin to have the audacity to call bull**** on her stunt whereas the legitimate homeless cases wouldn't dare dream of resorting to such antics.

A
    publicity stunt? It’s not as though the woman and her children rocked up to the Garda station,

and were told by Gardai to pose on the benches like they’re asleep for a photo op.

They rocked up to the station for a publicity stunt .
    The gardai didn't ask them to pose for photos but somebody did pose them.
    That's so obvious .

And there is genuine homeless cases and not so genuine cases regularly debunked

So if we believe them - the kids were likely all born whilst they were in a precarious financial position ?

Why are we rewarding these chancers ????

Well, we don't have free abortions in this country, so if they became pregnant, what could they do? Throw the woman down the stairs like the good old days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Lux23 wrote: »
    What the f**k does it matter if they're wearing school uniforms? Kids shouldn't be sleeping in a Garda station at any time, wearing anything.

This is what is wrong with public discourse this day, people pick tiny little holes and then refuse to look at the bigger picture which is a homelessness and housing crisis which is now endemic and getting worse. The school uniforms don't matter a jot!!!

What do people seriously think is the solution? Free houses for everyone?

Personal responsibility and choosing lifestyle choices need to be looked at

• Advertisement

They do. But people are always gonna have kids.

Our lunatic roller coaster accommodation market needs to be fixed first.

Apparently her HAP was 1,900 a month and her rent was 2,800. And nobody would "help her" pay the rest. This is GALLING. How do i get the government to GIVE me 1,900 a month instead of the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We need the same riggers to get preggers as to get a mortgage. Stop all this 7 kids with 4 dads and fella living with em but not telling DSFW that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The Gardai have confirmed this happened. Can we start from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Wheety wrote: »
    What do people seriously think is the solution? Free houses for everyone?
    Yes obviously. Just like free schooling for everyone and free appendectomies for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

posy2010 wrote: »
    Apparently her HAP was 1,900 a month and her rent was 2,800. And nobody would "help her" pay the rest. This is GALLING. How do i get the government to GIVE me 1,900 a month instead of the other way around?

2,800?

Where is she renting??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Strongly disagree. That way lies the extinction of the Irish race.

2,800?

Where is she renting??

Tallaght i presume but must have needed rooms for her dozens of kids :rolleyes:

Statement from the guards:
    Good Morning

I refer to your enquiry and can confirm a young mother and her 6 children (aged from 11 years to 1 year) presented at Tallaght GS during the night as they had nowhere to go.

Members of An Garda Síochána tried all the emergency lines in relation to homeless shelter and no accommodation was located, a number of local hotels were also phoned.

The family were cared for during the night by the members working and received a hot breakfast this morning in Tallaght GS. The family have now left the Garda station and are on the way to South Dublin Co-Council, Housing Department.

Can we stop with all the b*ll**** that they only presented themselves for a photo shoot, and then left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Strongly disagree. That way lies the extinction of the Irish race.

What way? The way of only having so many kids as you can afford to look after?
    (preferably with the same partner as well if you want to be finicky about it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement