Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesters occupy privately owned house to raise awarness?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I believe that's called breaking and entering.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Is it a bit like me robbing your car to protest at people getting knocked over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

sexmag wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/housing-groups-occupying-vacant-dublin-building-say-theyre-overwhelmed-by-public-support-37195456.html

I'm sorry but how is breaking into a privately owned house raising awareness?

This is a criminal act and should be treated as such

In the good old days we called that B&E and trespass.

Tenner says not one of the "activists" has seen a payslip. Ever.

Wasters.

Is it a bit like me robbing your car to protest at people getting knocked over?

Or in their tiny minds, robbing a car because everyone doesn't have a free State funded Beemer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I am now aware of that house

Mission accomplished

Seriously it doesn't matter if that house is owned by a person or a corporation it's still private property that they are trespassing on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Well they've got their issue published in one of the most popular newspapers in the country, and they have you creating a thread about it on boards.ie. Job done I'd say.
    “We want to raise awareness that local authorities have the power to CPO buildings from private landlords, and we want to expose the problem of vacant houses and slums being left with nobody in them while there is a massive problem with homelessness,” the spokeswoman said.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Fair play to them. Raising awareness to the absolute state of the housing situation in Dublin and elsewhere has to be commended. Something has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

The situation is they've broken into someone's house and are squatting.

Try and disguise it with a vale of raising awareness all you like that but that's the jist, who is this landlord,what have they done to them that's gives them a right to break into their property?

How would they feel if every homeless person just took a leaf out of their book and broke into a random house to prove a point? It would be anarchy

The situation is you've broken into someone's house and are squatting.

Try and disguise it with a vale of raising awareness all you like that but that's the jist, who is this landlord,what have they done to you that's gives you a right to break into their property?

Rights to them are something they demand - not what other people have.

Scumbag layabout squatters is all they are. Activists my hoop.

The situation is they've broken into someone's house and are squatting.

Try and disguise it with a vale of raising awareness all you like that but that's the jist, who is this landlord,what have they done to them that's gives them a right to break into their property?

It seems like it takes extreme actions to raise awareness, let's hope they get noticed. The house is fine, no one was living in it.

• Advertisement

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    The house is fine, no one was living in it.

Irrelevant, you don't get to decide who's house you can and can't break into to prove a point.

Someone owns it,it's there's, I'll just go break into this car because no one was in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Overwhelmed by the generosity and support received. I wonder if they had their homes broken into would they be so supportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You're giving them the attention they're looking for. And they're the eejits?

The house and others in the area were evacuated on orders from the fire brigade due to safety issues. Do they not realise that putting more tenants in without major renovation is not only illegal but madness in the extreme? The house has only been vacant for just over 2 months. Do they think that the owners could get crews onsite, planning issues sorted, structural and engineers reports done in that timeframe? Not to mention the vast amount of money raised? What planet are they living on?
    Oh, I forgot. Schools out for the summer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've heard that the owners of the property, own other properties in the area/street and have their eyes on purchasing more properties.
    Their goal is to essentially let the area go to ruin to drive down the property prices so that they can buy for peanuts.

This is an attempt to stop using property for leverage and to get DCC to attain the properties for badly needed housing.

Irrelevant, you don't get to decide who's house you can and can't break into to prove a point

Like I said in the part of my post that you cut. It takes extreme actions to raise awareness. And they're doing it because many people are living in extreme conditions. Living on the streets or in temporary accommodation.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've heard that the owners of the property, own other properties in the area/street and have their eyes on purchasing more properties.
    Their goal is to essentially let the area go to ruin to drive down the property prices so that they can buy for peanuts.

This is an attempt to stop using property for leverage and to get DCC to attain the properties for badly needed housing.

Possibly the most dangerous words ever in a case like this.

Like I said in the part of my post that you cut. It takes extreme actions to raise awareness. And they're doing it because many people are living in extreme conditions. Living on the streets or in temporary accommodation.

Then go break into the house of someone who can make a difference like a td or the housing minister

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Shower of smelly crusties.

Wonder if Hansard will call round.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

This adds more detail to things. We shouldn't be worried about the owner of this house. They are not worrying about people struggling on the streets, a greedy landlord who wants to make profit off the back of others suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Hopefully the Gardai rock up in their riot gear and give a good old fashioned hippy hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The landlord should show up with a load of paint and brushes, and pretend he or she is a sympathetic supporter of their protest.
    And get them to paint the house for free!

Then go break into the house of someone who can make a difference like a td or the housing minister

There's no one in the house and as we've just heard, the owner of the house could make a difference but is adding to the misery of locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who isn’t aware that there’s a renting crisis anyway?

We should support those who are trying to help people. There are many in terrible situations and these protesters are going out of their way to help them in anyway they can. This should be supported, they're clearly decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It seems like it takes extreme actions to raise awareness, let's hope they get noticed. The house is fine, no one was living in it.

awareness of what?

who is not 'aware' that there is a shortage of free gaffs for people in Ireland?

as we've just heard

Exactly, what you've HEARD from some randomner on the net.

You haven't a shred of evidence to back up that statement.

For all you know could be a family who are waiting for planning permission to do it up so they came move in and now there's loads of people squatting for however long

lawred2 wrote: »
    awareness of what?

who is not 'aware' that there is a shortage of free gaffs for people in Ireland?

Somebody obviously because nothing has been done about it. Plus, we got extra detail on the landlord in question here. Raising awareness of his behaviour can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Who isn’t aware that there’s a renting crisis anyway?

Govt is doing fcuk all about it, apart from nipping around the edges of the problem.

Renters don't really matter in the scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Summerhill Occupation on Facebook has plenty of background on the reasoning for doing this.

Advertisement