Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I got my first tattoo nearly a year ago at the age of 50. Next weekend I’m booked in for my 10th.
    I never really made a conscious decision not to get them when I was younger. I just didn’t have any.

I’ve been told I’m having a mid life crisis, I’m too old to be getting tattoos, I’m trying to be cool etc etc but at this stage of my life I really couldn’t give a ****.

Ive had a coupe of tragedies happen very close to home in the last couple of years that have made me reevaluate my life and what is left of it. I had intended to get one tattoo, maybe two, but you know what? I really like them. They make me happy. I like the process of getting them done. I like looking at other people’s tattoos etc etc.

I totally understand that tattoos aren’t for everyone and some people don’t like them at all and I’ve zero problem with that.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age that many people judge people purely on having tattoos and I doubt the sincerity of many in here who have used the stereotypes that are associated with them and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I only get suspicious if there's a prominent face tattoo. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a criminal, but whatever life you're living is probably too hardcore for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

Some shocking views here considering the accepting society we live in nowadays tbh.
    My body is a temple but i decorate it the way i see it fit
    Had no effect in my career yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'd never look down on someone for having a tattoo but 9 times out of 10 they look awful, they don't look great on pale and freckled Irish skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

madwidow wrote: »
    Some shocking views here considering the accepting society we live in nowadays tbh.
    It's only accepting because of some sort of politically correct mafia. People's opinions may be more passive, but yet never really change. And there's nothing to intimidate people on boards!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

In yesterdays sunday indo i saw a picture of that inner city senator, her arm was covered in tattoos, i thought it looked dreadful for someone in public office and give a bad impression abroad, bit of decorum people

Mod-Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I'd never look down on someone for having a tattoo but 9 times out of 10 they look awful, they don't look great on pale and freckled Irish skin.

Tah ooos also don't age well no matter how well you looked originally. Nowadays, David Beckham looks like a tramp who slept on a damp newspaper. Imagine deciding in your 20's what haircut you were going to have for the rest of your life? Not for me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Tah ooos also don't age well no matter how well you looked originally. Nowadays, David Beckham looks like a tramp who slept on a damp newspaper. Imagine deciding in your 20's what haircut you were going to have for the rest of your life? Not for me, thanks.

David-Beckham-Royal-Wedding-2018-Pictures.jpg

A tramp indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

A tramp indeed.

I'll leave the man love out of it, its not my scene. Look at the tah ooo's on his hands. They look like a child went mad with a black marker. The ones on the back of his neck (not visible here) are worse. They seriously look like a bad rash these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I don't look down on people with tattoos, what they do to their own bodies is their business not mine. However I do think that a lot of people who claim to get tattoos as an expression of "individuality" are on the wrong track, as tattoos are just so common nowadays, that if you are in your 20's it's probably more of a statement of individuality to not have them.
    A group of us 40-somethings were discussing this on a night out a few months ago, as there was a group of lads in the pub that looked like clones - beards, slicked-back hair, sleeve tattoos, etc. and a friend of mine remarked that it reminded her of of the Beautiful South lyrics:

And everyone is blonde
    And everyone is beautiful
    And when blondes and beautiful are multiple
    They become so dull and dutiful

In 20 years when they mature and get more confidence, at least they will be able to really express their individuality by dressing differently, changing their hair etc. but they will still all be stuck with those near-identical tattoos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

You can tell the age demographic on boards is on the older side just because of some of the pathetic, outdated mindsets in threads like this. Losers

Arrival wrote: »
    You can tell the age demographic on boards is on the older side just because of some of the pathetic, outdated mindsets in threads like this. Losers

Ditto with yourself - my children and their friends stopped using the term "losers" in their late teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Gravelly wrote: »
    Ditto with yourself - my children and their friends stopped using the term "losers" in their late teens.

Oh that must mean everyone everywhere should stop using certain terms like your kids did, got it. What a stupid fuking point lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can you ? Well for your information I am older and retired , have no tattoes and have stuck up for tattoes and for peoples choices all throughout the thread ,.I dont like presumptions of any sort

Oh that must mean everyone everywhere should stop using certain terms like your kids did, got it. What a stupid fuking point lmao

Yep, every post you make confirms my assumptions about you.
    Shouldn't you be in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Tattoos do look awful generally, don't think I'd look down on anyone with one though, just think they had made a very bad choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't know why I keep clicking on this thread and expecting it to be anything other than a sh*tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

It's only accepting because of some sort of politically correct mafia. People's opinions may be more passive, but yet never really change. And there's nothing to intimidate people on boards!

It d be a sad world of sheep if everyone would not be entitled to an opinion but to have a black and white judjement on a person is not right either. Blond - dumb, on HAP - leach, with a tattoo - scum. What about the grey area?

42626034_10156892126293856_622746820283465728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=ce0d9677c1a6f7e35ece8638706eb772&oe=5C21F745

42626034_10156892126293856_622746820283465728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=ce0d9677c1a6f7e35ece8638706eb772&oe=5C21F745

how can anyone look at Juan and say oh that looks nice....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So, no Juan will say that looks nice!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Everyone is beautiful to someone. Everyone is ugly to someone, too.
    I personally find those with a judgmental, arrogant, haughty attitude to be extremely ugly.
    A pretty face doesn't excuse a mean heart.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Everyone is beautiful to someone. Everyone is ugly to someone, too.
    I personally find those with a judgmental, arrogant, haughty attitude to be extremely ugly.
    A pretty face doesn't excuse a mean heart.

Isn't that a bit judgemental? :P

Isn't that a bit judgemental? :P

Not really. Everyone quantifies attractiveness differently, that isn't necessarily being judgmental per se.

Some people are shallow and judge attractiveness solely on looks and physical attributes, I'm just making the point that no matter how good looking someone was, if they had a nasty, judgmental attitude, I'd find them ugly.

Not really. Everyone quantifies attractiveness differently, that isn't necessarily being judgmental per se.

Some people are shallow and judge attractiveness solely on looks and physical attributes, I'm just making the point that no matter how good looking someone was, if they had a nasty, judgmental attitude, I'd find them ugly.

You are making a judgement, the criteria are beside the point.

ergo, you are being judgemental.

You are making a judgement, the criteria are beside the point.

ergo, you are being judgemental.

You're missing the point entirely.
    PP questioned how anyone could find the person in the above photo attractive, based purely on how he looked.
    I pointed out that other people, myself included, would find those with such a judgmental attitude (aka, making negative assumptions about a person based solely on their appearance) to be ugly and unattractive.

Everyone judges, of course. But not everyone jumps to stereotypical conclusions based off how someone looks.

You're missing the point entirely.
    PP questioned how anyone could find the person in the above photo attractive, based purely on how he looked.
    I pointed out that other people, myself included, would find those with such a judgmental attitude (aka, making negative assumptions about a person based solely on their appearance) to be ugly and unattractive.

Everyone judges, of course. But not everyone jumps to stereotypical conclusions based off how someone looks.

I'm sure Juan is lovely to his mom alright.

I'm sure Juan is lovely to his mom alright.

you only get Juan mother..... although I think he did kill her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's not supposed to look nice.

He's an MS 13 gang member.

Advertisement