Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Croke park has the best facilities for not just players coaches etc but for media and broadcasters. It makes perfect logistical sense to make it as easy as possible for the cameras, crew and journalists etc to be at games to cover them as fans can't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

ArielAtom wrote: »
    But does the lack of support not mitigate this?

If the Dubs are so great why don’t they take on Mayo in a final in McHale park?? They already beat them often in finals, great and close finals, in Croker. Or even play it in Killarney or Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This year especially there is no fair reason to keep croke park as the venue for the semis and final. No other big sport gives home advantage the way the gaa does. US sports have home/away best of however many, Super Bowl venue is decided in advance, same with World Cup and Euros, rugby World Cup, olympics, 6 nations rotates, tennis/f1 is spread around the world. But the Dubs have this birthright and unfair advantage at start of every season.

Tennis, F1? Wtf? Yes there is a good reason, because its the biggest, most accessible stadium in the country ffs, seriously Mods? Come on

Weepsie wrote: »
    Croke park has the best facilities for not just players coaches etc but for media and broadcasters. It makes perfect logistical sense to make it as easy as possible for the cameras, crew and journalists etc to be at games to cover them as fans can't be there.

Yes play the hurling final there by all means if you want. Thurles would also be a candidate. But the football, even if just this 1 year when no fans and all the Dubs superiority of recent years, it would have been good to do it differently. Anyway if there is one team who rise to the occasion in a Croker final, other than Dubs, it is Mayo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

But does the lack of support not mitigate this?

Makes no difference to people who post this crap. It use to be that it was Dubs having Hill 16 or the big Crowds at the games were helping Dublin. Nobody at the games now at its the size of the ground is the issue. just the oul Irish begrudgery once again because our country cousins cannot get near the Dubs.

Whats-App-Image-2020-12-05-at-22-54-08.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I never said it would be allowed or facilitated, just that I can see a situation where it will come up. Leinster championship is dead as a competition and the counties outside Dublin are sick of it, the signs are well and truly there and a push back is coming. There is virtually no chance of anybody bar Dublin winning that competition for the foreseeable future, none. It is a competition in name only.

Kerry have a promising young team came close last year, might be a few years yet but I think they will win one eventually. Cork(also a big county population wise) have some good young players so who knows in a few years they might put it up to the Dubs. Mayo on their day can trouble the Dubs and there's usually a few Ulster teams knocking around. Donegal I feel would have been a lot closer than Cavan got. Tyrone under new management so interesting to see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The thanks here really shows the total lack of knowledge regarding funding from 2005 to date.

Why don’t you educate us, so? Would love to hear your take on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

Kerry have a promising young team came close last year, might be a few years yet but I think they will win one eventually. Cork(also a big county population wise) have some good young players so who knows in a few years they might put it up to the Dubs. Mayo on their day can trouble the Dubs and there's usually a few Ulster teams knocking around. Donegal I feel would have been a lot closer than Cavan got. Tyrone under new management so interesting to see how that goes.

That’ll be a packed Leinster championship with them all added to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

fullstop wrote: »

...deflection incoming...

Tennis, F1? Wtf? Yes there is a good reason, because its the biggest, most accessible stadium in the country ffs, seriously Mods? Come on

Teacher teacher it was him over there, you need to punish him. Ur pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

In fairness the poster you've quoted has posted at length on one of the many threads dedicated to that type of chat.

dobman88 wrote: »
    In fairness the poster you've quoted has posted at length on one of the many threads dedicated to that type of chat.

That’s cool, haven’t seen it, but he seems to know something the rest of us don’t, so I’m looking forward to reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Rather than pissing and whinging on an Internet forum come up
    With a solution to your perceived problem. Get your county board to propose your idea, it really is that simple.

Why should the county board even have to do it? I’m sure the volunteers running every county board except Dublins have enough to do. The GAA should be doing it and helping each county.

But I’ll make three quick suggestions....

1. Pool all sponsorship money and funding and split it on a more even basis. Put particular focus on coaching in Division 3 and 4 counties.
    2. Put in place for each county at least one professional staff member to run the county board like a company. To take this further, I would argue each county should get the same organisational structure and staff as Dublin.
    3. Dublin should only play the Leinster Final, AI semi final and AI final in Croke Park. No league games should be there and no earlier rounds of the Leinster championship. That is Pillar Caffreys suggestion by the way - to quote him, Croke Park is worth 5/6 points to the Dubs.

That’s cool, haven’t seen it, but he seems to know something the rest of us don’t, so I’m looking forward to reading it.

Hopefully not clogging up this thread which is for the 2020 championship.

The chat you're looking for has happened here. Enjoy

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058134646/1/#post115389314

Hopefully not clogging up this thread which is for the 2020 championship.

The chat you're looking for has happened here. Enjoy

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058134646/1/#post115389314

Any idea what page or post # seeing as we’re not allowed challenge claims like he made on this thread now?

Any idea what page or post # seeing as we’re not allowed challenge claims like he made on this thread now?

No, I've followed it from the start and not trawling through it. Could use the search function for what you need I guess.

No, I've followed it from the start and not trawling through it. Could use the search function for what you need I guess.

I would, but I’m on mobile site and the search function is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hammar wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying.
    The problem I see is not them in the stadium,
    How do they get to the stadium, who are they going with?
    Where are they coming from? Will there be people coming home from abroad etc
    What are they doing en route to the stadium, where are they stopping for food/ drink etc??

Anything to discourage the mass movement of people, should be advised at the minute in my opinion.

Hey i understand your concerns but we have to start preparing for things improving in the future and how we deal with crowds in the future, and these games (and the FAI Cup final) seem like the perfect opportunity to do so. I mean where do you see things going otherwise?? Iron out unforeseen problems etd

kaylanger1 wrote: »
    GAA all Ireland football championship is broken.

Dublin are now in their 8th final in 10 years.

This is not a "special generation". This is a conveyor belt of players almost like they are built in a factory to destroy opposition.

And sure, mayo might get lucky and beat the dubs, but it would be a once off and the dubs will be back in the final the next year.

The dubs will be permanent semi final fixtures from now on.

2020 talk only in here bud. Never-mind the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin have always been very strong, even when they weren't regularly winning All Irelands they were still in the top 2 or 3 teams in the country and were making at least the latter stages most years. Listen I just don't know, maybe its time to do away with the provincial championships in football, that way you wont have the likes of Dublin putting division 3 and 4 teams to the sword like they have been. Fair play to Cavan for winning Ulster but they are a division 3 team and the gap between the teams was obvious. Their All Ireland final was the previous week beating Donegal who I believe would have been a lot closer to the Dubs.

I agree 100% on the provincials I hope Dublin and Kerry between them cause an end to them. I can't understand why people want to keep any provincials. Really unfair system. What hope have Leitrim, Antrim, Wicklow, Waterford.

It seems to be the mid tier div 2/poor div1 teams fans in Leinster who are the only ones giving out. Yet they want to keep it!

I would say at one stage in the mid 00's Dublin were probably ranked 8 in the country at one stage. Getting to QF's but consistently beaten time and again. Sort of where Roscommon, Cork, and Kildare are now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think all other counties should refuse to play Dublin until either the funding disparity is resolved, or they split Dublin to level the playing field. The GAA have no notion of splitting county Dublin unless they’re forced to. It will destroy Gaelic football in the long term to have Dublin play professionally while all other counties play amateur level. What Dublin gets, all Division 1 teams should get.

If you give all Division one teams the same amount... what about division 2 teams.... ? Are they not entitled to an even distribution ? In other words what you want to do is feed the teams with the capacity to challenge the Dubs and fûck the rest of them... MUCH fairer... NOT... :pac:

The fairest way I see to fund... is based on the number of clubs, number of teams, number of participants in each county... Again, Dublin get a higher proportion of funding because it needs to be spread much further... more clubs, more facilities, more players, coaches, officials....

Give counties what they need. To work, support and manage the administration and participation of the sport in each county... YEP...that means Cork more money than Carlow.

The split the Dubs is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Dublin have always been very strong, even when they weren't regularly winning All Irelands they were still in the top 2 or 3 teams in the country and were making at least the latter stages most years. Listen I just don't know, maybe its time to do away with the provincial championships in football, that way you wont have the likes of Dublin putting division 3 and 4 teams to the sword like they have been. Fair play to Cavan for winning Ulster but they are a division 3 team and the gap between the teams was obvious. Their All Ireland final was the previous week beating Donegal who I believe would have been a lot closer to the Dubs.

2011 was Dublins first senior All Ireland final appearance since 1995 many years in between they were known as flaky outfit and rarely seen as top 2 or 3 team.

Cavan played Div 1 football last year like Cork they will spend 1 year in Div 3 as they will be too strong for it and are capable of getting back to Div 1.

Debatable on Donegal, they haven't reached All-Ireland semi final since 2014 for a reason and Tyrone 2017 and Mayo last year shipped 12 and 10 trimmings off Dublin in the semi final plus both teams i might add are more use to that stage of the competition the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

moghrasa wrote: »
    Yet your previous comments mention Cavan losing their legs after 50 minutes.

The mental gymnastics required to be a Dublin supporter must be immense

The Dublin volunteers just work harder at mental gymnastics than other countys'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I agree 100% on the provincials I hope Dublin and Kerry between them cause an end to them. I can't understand why people want to keep any provincials. Really unfair system. What hope have Leitrim, Antrim, Wicklow, Waterford.

It seems to be the mid tier div 2/poor div1 teams fans in Leinster who are the only ones giving out. Yet they want to keep it!

I would say at one stage in the mid 00's Dublin were probably ranked 8 in the country at one stage. Getting to QF's but consistently beaten time and again. Sort of where Roscommon, Cork, and Kildare are now.

Even at their lowest ebb I would never have ranked Dublin as low as 8th. In the late 90's early 00's they didn't win much but were there or thereabouts most years and I think a lot of that was down to them underachieving and not being clinical, others might say lack of bottle and poor management.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

moghrasa wrote: »
    Yet your previous comments mention Cavan losing their legs after 50 minutes.

The mental gymnastics required to be a Dublin supporter must be immense

You misunderstood my point.., Dublin were simply too good, moved themselves and the ball too well, too fast, too smart and too efficiently for the opposing team to cope.

Cavan tried to live with them, couldn’t. Not the savvy, experience or ability.

You might have a go at common sense gymnastics yourself and see if you can land the right way up, or down... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So Cavan are on a level playing field with the financial investment. Thanks.

I dunno why but this post reminds me of the sort of brains that was running the Dublin GAA show before there was money going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Colm O Rourke sounded really bitter on the Saturday Game last night. Jealous of the fact that they are dominating right now. His native Meath are never going to be successful and he can't hide his bitterness.

This is a great Dublin team and setup. Beautiful footballers and a joy to watch. I really hope they get 6 in a row and then 10 in a row. Keep the yerras and the royals quiet for the next decade.

Would you not get a bit bored of beating teams by 10 points plus? It's meant to be a competitive sport after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭laoisman11

Even at their lowest ebb I would never have ranked Dublin as low as 8th. In the late 90's early 00's they didn't win much but were there or thereabouts most years and I think a lot of that was down to them underachieving and not being clinical, others might say lack of bottle and poor management.

They did seem to hover around 6th or 7th for a while and they went to 8th and even to 10th on 2 occasions during the 2000-2010 period. Here's a graph of their ranking at the completion of each league and championship (with Kerry thrown in as a comparison) -

Dublin-historic-ranking.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

laoisman11 wrote: »
    They did seem to hover around 6th or 7th for a while and they went to 8th and even to 10th on 2 occasions during the 2000-2010 period. Here's a graph of their ranking at the completion of each league and championship (with Kerry thrown in as a comparison) -

Dublin-historic-ranking.png

1950s looked good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    True, but championship is a different animal altogether, I wouldn't compare them.

They just beat the team that beat Donegal by 15 points.

Making Dublin play away from home in Leinster would have zero impact on the result at the moment, unfortunately.
    A semi final in Ballybofey or wherever would be great but would it change the result?

Well what’s the harm in finding out? Certainly more interesting than the sh*t we’ve been watching this past while.

Advertisement