Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Even I connaught no team has defended it in 5 years. You had mayo dominance for about 5 years before but mayo are not a county as big as Dublin with the resources to cause a snowball effect and keep winning it forever. Even the mighty kerry can't. Same with Donegal who were going for 3 in a row.

Won 5 in a row but we werent steamrolling everyone each year, still had some tight games

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

dobman88 wrote: »
    Of course it is. What makes Tipp winning Liam worthwhile but Kerry winning a Joe McDongah cup not worthwhile? Kerry will play in the Joe McDonagh final before the Senior hurling final, I'll be watching and hope they win and I know those lads will be absolutely delighted if they win.

So a Donegal player can say today I have an All Ireland Hurling Medal and it should be treated the same as Let's say Limerick win it this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

risteard7 wrote: »
    So a Donegal player can say today I have an All Ireland Hurling Medal and it should be treated the same as Let's say Limerick win it this year??
    They won their division and were the best of all the teams within their tier. Not everyone needs to be playing in the top tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

risteard7 wrote: »

Yes, absolutely.

Why wouldnt it be? To say otherwise is very odd

They won their division and were the best of all the teams within their tier. Not everyone needs to be playing in the top tier.

Yep. Same as county championships around the country. A team winning a junior championship is just as valuable as a team winning the senior. That's the grade you play at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

crossman47 wrote: »
    I think Cavan and Tipp proved that a two tier championship is nonsense. The reason football is less attractive is Dublin dominance and possession type football (not just Dublin).

No disrespect to either team but Cavan's first win in 23 years and Tipps in 85 years just proves that there are times when even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No disrespect to either team but Cavan's first win in 23 years and Tipps in 85 years just proves that there are times when even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    And it also makes you wonder what would have if the GAA focused their funding on weaker counties and not the likes of Dublin and kerry. I'd love a system where teams who've won the all Ireland in the last 5 years or are division 1 in the league get very little funding and everyone else gets the lionshare.

It would prob have been enough to push limerick footballers over the line during the 00's and wexford in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And it also makes you wonder what would have if the GAA focused their funding on weaker counties and not the likes of Dublin and kerry. I'd love a system where teams who've won the all Ireland in the last 5 years or are division 1 in the league get very little funding and everyone else gets the lionshare.

It would prob have been enough to push limerick footballers over the line during the 00's and wexford in Leinster.

So the young players in a successful county must lose out in development funding? Insane

Kerry actually rank around 10th when it comes to funding so they've hardly had it focused on them.

Edit, make that 16th. It was posted in the leinster thread what each county has received over 10 years so weakens your argument further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Being discussed now on rte 1

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Being discussed now on rte 1

Nothing new there that hasnt been said here multiple times. Lad on with the figures of funding received. Dub on to defend his county getting the funding. People txting in saying but but but. Kilkenny won and nobody complained etc. It was like listening to boards posters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick could easily fund our footballers if the will was there but if you give Limerick GAA any extra money it will end up with the hurlers anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

So the young players in a successful county must lose out in development funding? Insane

I think funding needs to be looked at but that would be bad system.

Meath didn't get money focused on them when they were more successful then dublin in Leinster. Neither did kildare, Laois, Offally or Westmeath. As you say insane.

Crazy isn't it how we all didn't get the millions pumped in for being very successful.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Limerick could easily fund our footballers if the will was there but if you give Limerick GAA any extra money it will end up with the hurlers anyway

Dublin could easily fund their operations too. They've something like 10M in profits sitting in the bank. Yet dublin still got the funding so why not limerick footballers who actually have potential to be competitive in munster.

And if it's specifically designated to the footballers tough luck for the hurlers who are well looked after anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Dublin could easily fund their operations too. They've something like 10M in profits sitting in the bank. Yet dublin still got the funding so why not limerick footballers who actually have potential to be competitive in munster.

And if it's specifically designated to the footballers tough luck for the hurlers who are well looked after anyway.

I don't know much about Dublin but trust me if you sent Limerick county board a pack of money ring fenced for football they would probably just their own funding and send it to the hurlers and the footballers would be no better off.

One thing I would do if I was HQ would be to sell the jersey contract in one 32 county deal like MLS soccer do and spit the money evenly between the teams. Also have an official match ball supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Listened back to Jim Mc Guinness on OTB GAA.

Revisited his 2015 proposed revamp of the championship on a 2 tier basis.

TBH I think it's an excellent proposal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-how-i-would-reinvigorate-football-championship-1.2241993?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

seligehgit wrote: »
    Listened back to Jim Mc Guinness on OTB GAA.

Revisited his 2015 proposed revamp of the championship on a 2 tier basis.

TBH I think it's an excellent proposal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-how-i-would-reinvigorate-football-championship-1.2241993?mode=amp

Looks good in fairness, has a bit for everyone nearly he obviously put thought into it.

Only thing is, by the time real change like that is implemented in the GAA - Donegal will be unveiling the new "Pairc Mag Aonghusa" on the 50th anniversary of his death. Has to pass at congress etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's a professional team with professional funding against amateur teams. It is not just a "golden generation", it will keep going until the GAA make a concerted effort to balance things up for the other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Well, she literally just brought it up.

No. She wants to talk about the "other counties" not the financial advantage Dublin have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Take Dublin out of Croke park for neutral games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

McDaid was blooded in Omagh v Tyrone on a lovely day in August 2019

On a day Breheny called farcial and called the Super 8's a flop.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eamonn-sweeney-farcical-finale-sums-up-why-unfair-super-8s-format-is-a-total-flop-38374271.html

Lovely day great day out. And I was there!

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-tyrone-all-ireland-football-4752645-Aug2019/

Fair play McDaid!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

It's a professional team with professional funding against amateur teams. It is not just a "golden generation", it will keep going until the GAA make a concerted effort to balance things up for the other counties.

Don't be silly, they just volunteer harder. Bless them.

Cavanagh was quickly shut down for not playing the Dublin money bad line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Lundstram wrote: »

How can you be posting here and be on the TV at the same time, Sean!

Seriously though, Sean Kavanagh seems to think things are grand, wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s hardly a brilliant rivalry if Mayo never actually beat them Joanne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Life ain't always empty.

Nice choice of lyrics to end the show because that **** was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lundstram wrote: »
    Oh Dear!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The break up of Dublin grows closer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Take Dublin out of Croke park for neutral games.

That works if Cork can’t play a Munster final in Parc I Chaoimh...

Otherwise.. no fair.. ;)

Advertisement