Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

You can't just split Dublin in two. It won't work.

Both Dublin teams would easily attract the same type of sponsorship, Dublin is already getting.

Needs to be at least four - but the one or two sections with the most population, in the city, will still pull huge sponsorship.

So you could have a championship between just two professional Dublin teams every year...

You could say there will have to be laws about equal sponsorship across the country. But the horse has already bolted in Dublin.

Can it actually be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They should start with 2 teams, keep the hurling as one county team. review it every two or 3 seasons and if there is a need to divide into 3 or 4 then implement that. There needs to be a plan

Yes, the more a team wins you should split them is that your suggestion?

How would administration work with different set ups for the two codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Strumms wrote: »
    Other teams need to get stronger and fitter then... Cluxton, a teacher can do it, McCarthy a bank employee can, and does... soooo...

Dublin led 17 points to 8 after about 50 minutes... I don’t think fitness told in the game I was watching... creativity, teamwork, skills, accurate shooting, passing certainly did... an excellent performance...:)
    Yet your previous comments mention Cavan losing their legs after 50 minutes.

The mental gymnastics required to be a Dublin supporter must be immense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There's more people in Dublin than in all of Munster.

Maybe we could organise the Dubs vs Munster dream team, that should be competitive.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

C__MC wrote: »
    I'm not going to question Dublins advantages tonight.
    I'm still hopeful mayo will put it up to them if they can get their.

It's the hope that kills ya. Got my hopes up after Spillanes goal in the drawn final last year. Went to the replay for the day out and subsequent night out with my brother. Less disappointing with no expectations or hope.

• Advertisement

Other teams need to get stronger and fitter then... Cluxton, a teacher can do it, McCarthy a bank employee can, and does... soooo...

Dublin led 17 points to 8 after about 50 minutes... I don’t think fitness told in the game I was watching... creativity, teamwork, skills, accurate shooting, passing certainly did... an excellent performance...:)

You don't get stronger and fitter(to the required level) without resources.

Before Peter Keane took over, he was made aware of serious cut-backs due to the spiralling costs. Kerry’s nutritionist had their involvement cut to the bare bones. Supplements were removed, not for moral reasons but for financial savings. If a player was injured in training, a physio was provided that night after the session, but external work was up to the player themselves.

Dublin didn’t have these choices. They’ve a nutritionist and two assistants in that field alone

https://punditarena.com/gaa/emackenna/mackenna-dublin-success/

There's more people in Dublin than in all of Munster.

Maybe we could organise the Dubs vs Munster dream team, that should be competitive.

Could be onto something. Let them play amongst themselves in the Dublin Club championship, and let Dublin compete in the railway cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

82,000 Dubs could be in Croker to witness their county win 9-in-a-row.

Doubt anyone else will care by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I actually thought Cavan were poor tonight . Not because of the opposition but because of
    -) numerous unforced errors .
    -) routinely taking The ball into contact .
    -) poor shot selection

The most annoying thing about their play was simple game intelligence. The running off the ball was always seconds late allowing Dublin to close out moves . It is something that they as a team should learn from . Anticipating movements and creating overlaps .

The high ball tactic so close to the 6 yard box is flawed . Dublin use the full back to create the shield and prevent the forward from contesting the aerial battle( often subtlety fowling the forward ) The second defender prevents any collection of the ball if falling short and if it too close to the 6 yard box then cluxton is free to punch it out with no one else jumping for the ball.

Having a directed aerial bombardment at the 21 yard line with your own forwards contesting the breaking ball would leave Dublin vulnerable .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

moghrasa wrote: »
    Yet your previous comments mention Cavan losing their legs after 50 minutes.

The mental gymnastics required to be a Dublin supporter must be immense

Yes, but that was because they were chasing shadows....

Dublin were managing possession frankly in a genius fashion. Moving themselves and the ball accurately at speed Passing 99.99% accurate...Killed the game and Cavan with them.. perfect..

Gymnastics indeed, I use the same gym as a lot of these guys, see the work they do firsthand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Jaysus lads there's some serious salty tears about Dublin in this thread. Not a word from any of you when we hadn't won a championship in 16 years. Great to see....Up the Dubs

Anyone who wants to see county lines changed is an idiot and doesn’t have the best interests of the GAA at heart. They just don’t like Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Yes, the more a team wins you should split them is that your suggestion?

How would administration work with different set ups for the two codes?

Yes I was calling for KK to be split in 2 and Kerry in the 70's..Dublin GAA would enter 2 teams rather than one, Keep the hurling as one until such time as they start dominating

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

nc6000 wrote: »
    And what if North v South ended up in the final next year?

Should be a cracker.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Apart from Seán but Tomás jumped in quickly and Colm wants them split to the four corners of the county.

If the spilt of Dublin is a no go.
    O'Rourke is on record as saying wants other counties to use the already present 'parentage rule' more , and/or introduce a transfer system for other counties.

https://punditarena.com/gaa/mcorry/colm-orourke-division-dublin/

"The only other way, if they’re not going to divide Dublin, is there has to be some way where a lot of the very good club footballers in Dublin are either encouraged to go and play with other counties which for some reason hasn’t happened with parental rules or some type of transfer system.”

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

When Cavans legs went around the 50 minute mark, they resorted to fouling to try and slow down the Dublin attack.. unsophisticated, unsportsmanlike.

Galligan deserved to go, he could have seriously injured the Dublin player, a shoulder charge into the chin, zero attempt to play the ball, get the ball, even slow down play.. he could have knocked his teeth out. Full on shoulder charge into the chest and chin. Manky, dirtbag style play, red all day.

And Dublin don’t have players like Small & McCarthy who play on the edge? Nice guys win nothing and Dublin are going for six in a row, they’re well fit to cut it with the best so don’t be fooling yourself.

Galligan got a second yellow for mouthing at the ref and there was hardly much point giving it at that stage of the game.

Take off the blue tinted glasses for a bit.

Ref was poor for both teams but Dublin most certainly cannot feel hard done by. The Cooper black would have been at a vital time.

Yes, but that was because they were chasing shadows....

Dublin were managing possession frankly in a genius fashion. Moving themselves and the ball accurately at speed Passing 99.99% accurate...Killed the game and Cavan with them.. perfect..
    So it was first that Cavan were fatigued.

Then it was that Cavan weren't fatigued Dublin are just unreal.

Now it's that Cavan were actually fatigued, but it's because they were trying to keep up with Dublin who are unreal.

Got it.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    And Dublin don’t have players like Small & McCarthy who play on the edge? Nice guys win nothing and Dublin are going for six in a row, they’re well fit to cut it with the best so don’t be fooling yourself.
    You're being awful kind to Jonny Cooper by excluding him here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Jaysus lads there's some serious salty tears about Dublin in this thread. Not a word from any of you when we hadn't won a championship in 16 years. Great to see....Up the Dubs

16 years!? That’s some famine alright!

*** walks off to dream about ending the 68 year drought to even reach an AI final....

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Think Tomas o se sums it up well. With other gaa teams who were dominating in gaa in the past like Kerry 8 all Ireland’s or the Kilkenny hurlers a slump came and there was a transition period which often lasted a long period. It’s just hard to see any slump coming for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

And/or hopefully the death of all the provincial championships.

Plus would Dublin will be split as under two County Board's. Or spilt as two separate entitles under one County Board?

Next question after that how would this break up be funded and by whom? New stadiums needed?

Also, which counties will be amalgamated as one entity under one County Board. Or merged as two separate entitles under one County Board.

Surely we'll have to fund a second croker on the south side. Couldn't have south dublin playing every game away from home.

Today was indeed another step towards the split. So to me that was a good result. Might even result in an extra GPO or two going to the likes of Louth Meath and Kildare lol.

If Dublin refuse to split the other 31 will eventually boycott and have a separate competition. It's inevitable.

Thankfully we have hurling to keep us entertained as this sham unfolds over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Anyone who wants to see county lines changed is an idiot and doesn’t have the best interests of the GAA at heart. They just don’t like Dublin.

The opposite from my own point of view. I’d like to see close games in the championship. I think that the championship, and the sport itself, may in fact benefit from such games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That will have little or no effect I think.

They can beat any team in any pitch in Ireland. The 'novelty' of playing away games might actually spur them on, rather than the same routine for every game.

The money and number of coaches needs to be somehow addressed.

Is the gate receipts split 50 50 in a game or more to the home team if there is a home team. If a home team does get more then they should play in there home pitch of Parnell park

Cavan_King wrote: »

Galligan got a second yellow for mouthing at the ref and there was hardly much point giving it at that stage of the game.

Take off the blue tinted glasses for a bit.

Ref was poor for both teams but Dublin most certainly cannot feel hard done by. The Cooper black would have been at a vital time.

On one reply angle a Cooper black was harsh another suggested maybe it was actually warranted, we’ll see again later.

Playing on the edge is a good thing. Stepping over it.....however.

benji79 wrote: »
    Think Tomas o se sums it up well. With other gaa teams who were dominating in gaa in the past like Kerry 8 all Ireland’s or the Kilkenny hurlers a slump came and there was a transition period which often lasted a long period. It’s just hard to see any slump coming for Dublin

He was allowed talk at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I don't know what is the answer but something needs to be done because there is no joy in watching that game tonight. If there isn't a game in it, what's the point. I was thinking that if you took any one of the Dublin stars and transported them to Cavan, they would lose alot of their sparkle. That is because in Dublin, they train with elites all the time and they get better and better feeding off each other's brilliance. That is a huge advantage in itself never mind other advantages. Not the same putting in all the work for no reward. I love Gaelic football but tonight would depress you.

moghrasa wrote: »
    So it was first that Cavan were fatigued.

Then it was that Cavan weren't fatigued Dublin are just unreal.

Now it's that Cavan were actually fatigued, but it's because they were trying to keep up with Dublin who are unreal.

Got it.

I’m glad you got it. :). Exactly right, tired team,chasing shadows of an unreal team, possession kings and dead eye finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Coybig_ wrote: »
    The spectre of Dublin looms over everything in the GAA. Yea there is another thread, but when you see Dublin dole out humiliating hammerings every game, you realise that it doesnt really matter who wins tomorrow.

Cavan a div 2 team relegated to div 3. Yet are expected to beat two div 1 teams in quick succession. Two of the top four teams in the country.

I must be the only one who thinks the provincials are finished.
    Only for covid 19 Cavan would not have been likely winners of Ulster. And no way they would have got in the AI SF if the backdoor and Super 8's were in place.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

munster87 wrote: »
    The opposite from my own point of view. I’d like to see close games in the championship. I think that the championship, and the sport itself, may in fact benefit from such games.

It’s not the way to do it though. Nuking counties means it’s all over and you better start liking rugby or soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I don't think anybody would begrudge Dublin a few championships, the problem is that they are going to win it for the next 16 years unless something is done. It's like putting Man City in to the League Of Ireland at this stage.

But I will be the first to admit there is no immediate, easy solution. I don't agree with splitting Dublin, but it does seem like the most obvious solution.

Advertisement