Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The championship is beyond boringly predictable at this stage. Sport without competition isn't worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've read that it's Mayo's year every year for the last decade or so.

Mayo haven't a hope, I'd actually fancy Tipp to give Dublin a better game although they'd still get well beaten. Dublin will win the final easily.

The AI is following the Leinster Championship into the grave. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

The championship is beyond boringly predictable at this stage. Sport without competition isn't worth watching.

Cork and Tipp was a fine match a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is there not multiple threads for all the stuff being discussed. It gets very tiresome. Can we not leave this for the 2020 championship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

2,000 fans at English games today, surely there could be a move to have a few k at the AI finals? We are going to have bite this bullet at some stage and start allowing fans back, would this not be a great opportunity to trial it? Entry, exit, distancing etc with 4 or 5k in an 82 k stadium and see what lessons can be learnt? No brainer it seems to me

• Advertisement

2,000 fans at English games today, surely there could be a move to have a few k at the AI finals? We are going to have bite this bullet at some stage and start allowing fans back, would this not be a great opportunity to trial it? Entry, exit, distancing etc with 4 or 5k in an 82 k stadium and see what lessons can be learnt? No brainer it seems to me

Yes it would be great to see. Folks know the drill at this stage and Im sure it could be pulled off fine. As always there will be a few muppets that wont respect the rules but we can't stay in constant fear of our own shadows forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Or we could wait until there's a vaccine available for all, for the horrible virus that has killed 3,000 on this island and ruined the health of many more.

I wouldn't be mimicking what the UK are doing
    in the response to this virus in any way as they are an absolute cluster f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The absolute most I'd be in favour of is letting panel members have a few tickets for family members. No one beyond that circle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

grbear wrote: »
    The absolute most I'd be in favour of is letting panel members have a few tickets for family members. No one beyond that circle.

Yes.

Anyway, even if it went beyond that circle, it wouldn't be the genuine supporters getting the tickets. It would be the same type of people who always end up having tickets on All-Ireland Final day having barely watched a game all year never mind gone to one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dobman88 wrote: »
    Hopefully not clogging up this thread which is for the 2020 championship.

Mod note

Fair comment, back to this years championship please folks.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    Or we could wait until there's a vaccine available for all, for the horrible virus that has killed 3,000 on this island and ruined the health of many more.

#
    Indeed but at some stage next year we are going to have to start getting back to normal and allowing fans intio games, so my point is surely in the most modern stadium we have trialling 4 or 5 k people in and out would be a good move? See what issues arise etc and be ready to deal with them in the provincial grounds ins spring? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Mod edit

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Yes.

Anyway, even if it went beyond that circle, it wouldn't be the genuine supporters getting the tickets. It would be the same type of people who always end up having tickets on All-Ireland Final day having barely watched a game all year never mind gone to one.

Populist bs, you cant back up even back up that **** talk, you people, :rolleyes:

Populist bs, you cant back up even back up that **** talk, you people, :rolleyes:

I don't understand what you're saying, would you mind wording it in another way please & thank you?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

#
    Indeed but at some stage next year we are going to have to start getting back to normal and allowing fans intio games, so my point is surely in the most modern stadium we have trialling 4 or 5 k people in and out would be a good move? See what issues arise etc and be ready to deal with them in the provincial grounds ins spring? No?

I understand what you're saying.
    The problem I see is not them in the stadium,
    How do they get to the stadium, who are they going with?
    Where are they coming from? Will there be people coming home from abroad etc
    What are they doing en route to the stadium, where are they stopping for food/ drink etc??

Anything to discourage the mass movement of people, should be advised at the minute in my opinion.

Yes.

As opposed to the people who go to all the matches or watch them on television but can't get tickets for the final? Or something?

I don't understand what you're saying, would you mind wording it in another way please & thank you?

Oh ffs ok then, you are suggesting that 'real fans' wouldn't get any tickets? If each county got 2k each and the GAA, say 1k for sponsors, etc, that seems fine to me. Give every player/mentor/staff (20) on panel, that leaves approx 1k for each county board to distribute as they wish. Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hammar wrote: »

Didnt Windsor Park have something like 1000 fans for a soccer game? Ironic that you say you wouldnt mimic the UK but use the all island figure for your statistic.

I wouldnt see an issue with at least giving players families tickets and a certain number to county boards. Croke Park is perfect in every way for a trial run. Loads of entrances and exits, loads of toilet and food/drink facilities. It would be worth a shot. If not this year, for a league game next year at least

Oh ffs ok then, you are suggesting that 'real fans' wouldn't get any tickets? If each county got 2k each and the GAA, say 1k for sponsors, etc, that seems fine to me. Give every player/mentor/staff (20) on panel, that leaves approx 1k for each county board to distribute as they wish. Yes?

I get what you're saying now, thank you for explaining that, I know it's late & it looks like I've pissed you off, I'm sorry about that & didn't mean to.

Yes, providing them tickets would go to season ticket holders & not members of the county board distributing them as they please to Joe down the road who has little or no interest bar being on the bandwagon of an All-Ireland Final & the novelty that it is, this year especially.

I'm just going from my own experience. I've been to every single All-Ireland Final the Galway hurlers have been in since I was born & every single time bar the 2001 & 2005 where I wouldn't have known any better given my age I've seen people handed tickets who quite frankly don't deserve them.

Too many times I've seen loyal followers of the county in both codes not being able to get tickets come the big day only to see people who as I said had little or no interest until the big day land for political reasons be it who they know, connections through work, etc...

I have a season ticket myself & before they were a thing I never had an issue getting tickets so this isn't an issue for me, I speak for people I've seen left short over the years only to see tickets handed to people I know for a fact have little or no interest.

I'm all for letting as much people in as possible, I'd just prefer it to be families & genuine supporters & not the likes of the people I've alluded to above, that would sicken me. We all know the type. The type who if they were lucky enough to ever land a corporate box seat they'd be in stuffing their faces with food & drink rather than out in their seats watching the game.

I probably have generalised this a bit too much & probably hadn't thought about the numbers in a way as logical or as detailed as you had, but if there was a way to be sure that those who end up with the tickets actually deserve them in the first place then that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Who was Man of the Match btw.. ? thought Fenton, McDaid and Rock were excellent, could have been any of them three chaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Mayo have given Dublin lots of trouble in recent years, though I think Dublin have gotten even better since and Mayo gone back slightly but who knows

True but Mayo must beat Tipperary first. I think Mayo would be the best of what's left to challenge Dublin but won't have enough to win.

Colm O Rourke sounded really bitter on the Saturday Game last night. Jealous of the fact that Dublin are dominating right now. His native Meath are never going to be successful and he can't hide his bitterness.

This is a great Dublin team and setup. Beautiful footballers and a joy to watch. I really hope they get 6 in a row and then 10 in a row. Keep some of the other noisy counties quiet for the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Maybe the pick of Mayo and Tipp would put it upto the Dubs. Surely keep them honest for 50 mins or so.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Whilst it will be great for Mayo or Tipperary to win today it doesn’t really matter as the pick of the two of them won’t come within 10 points of Dublin not to mind beating them .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Would you not get a bit bored of beating teams by 10 points plus? It's meant to be a competitive sport after all.

Theres no competition once the Munster/Ulster/Connacht provincials are over.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Would you not get a bit bored of beating teams by 10 points plus? It's meant to be a competitive sport after all.

Not really. It's up to the other teams to raise their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Colm O Rourke sounded really bitter on the Saturday Game last night. Jealous of the fact that Dublin are dominating right now. His native Meath are never going to be successful and he can't hide his bitterness.

This is a great Dublin team and setup. Beautiful footballers and a joy to watch. I really hope they get 6 in a row and then 10 in a row. Keep the yerras and the royals quiet for the next decade.

I can't see any joy in watching the same team go out and beat the opposition by 15-20 points game after game after game. The beauty of sport is the unpredictability (anything could happen) and the competition (closely fought outcomes). When neither of those are present it becomes boringly predictable.

I can't see any joy in watching the same team go out and beat the opposition by 15-20 points game after game after game. The beauty of sport is the unpredictability (anything could happen) and the competition (closely fought outcomes). When neither of those are present it becomes boringly predictable.

Dublin won't win forever just like the greatest Kilkenny team that played the game from 2006-2015. Up to the rest of the pack to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Colm O Rourke sounded really bitter on the Saturday Game last night. .

Perhaps to do with his Mystic Meg predictions to entice PP customers all losing. Again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Dublin won't win forever just like the greatest Kilkenny team that played the game from 2006-2015. Up to the rest of the pack to catch up.

I don't think they will either. Interesting tweet from Sean Kelly last night. The tap will be turned off, probably take 10 or 15 years to level off but this won't last forever.

Advertisement