Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb

Still 14st 1lb having fluctuated between 14 1 and 14 3 for the past 3 weeks.

Hopefully break through that 14st barrier within the next week

Weighed in last Monday before my wedding.....

84.3kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Weighed in last Monday before my wedding.....

84.3kg.

Over 10kg great job and Congrats on the marriage thing. I'm still a fat bastard:) I joined a gym the other day so that's always good ha.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb

Still 14st 1lb having fluctuated between 14 1 and 14 3 for the past 3 weeks.

Hopefully break through that 14st barrier within the next week
    Great stuff, even to maintain after such weight loss is an achievement.

I'm Going the gym(sometimes) , im eating great(most of the time) and I feel great. Starting to loose weight again and I'm in a good place so hopefully I'll stay on the wagon now. Just had 2 eggs, 3 turkey rashers and about 2 spoons of no added sugar beans for my Sunday fry up.

102 kg yesterday, 101.4 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

Personally I thought exercise was everything and could control my fitness with exercise alone. I am 55 years old. However due to injury I am now no longer able to exercise like I used to, in fact hardly at all!. Weight increased for a few years. So started seriously addressing same. I had a few sort off weight loss attempts previously.
    Now I do 95% of my weight loss via diet. I swim about one and a half hrs/week, no walking, gym etc.
    Food is measured/weighed and losing a steady 1kg/week. I could be more aggressive with my weight loss but this is fine. I will have lost 15kg by Christmas from 115kg initially. My biggest challenge will be holding this weight over the holiday period.

Set a target, be disciplined and be aware of all you eat.

Not easy

Weight Loss Diary.

2018 - June - 14.10
    2018 - July - 13.06
    2018 - August - 12.07
    2018 - September - 11.10
    2018 - October - 11.07
    2018 - November - 11.04
    2018 - December -

Cant wait to see what I weight in December I don’t know what weight I’m gonna stop at but I was an XXL now I’m a Small in clothes.

I’ve a pizza and chocolate for treat day on a Saturday I can’t wait :)

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs

Not sure how but I am below the 14st mrk this week, I thought bout it actually been a bad week eating wise with the trick or treat stuff still proving too tempting on a daily basis.

I have seen this before where I can fluctuate up and down a couple of lbs over a week so I am determined to stay below the 14st mark now.

Good training session last night and have a match Sunday so a good couple of days eating well and try get another training session in should kick start me for next week

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs

Only one lb away from my original goal of 13st 10lb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

redzerdrog wrote: »

That's pretty much why, when people ask the best exercise for fat loss, the advice is qualified with it being something you enjoy so that it's something you will continue to do.

If I asked that question me and was told "running", then that would be pretty sh*t news cos I'm not gonna be running regularly since I just don't enjoy it.

Do something you enjoy and the health benefits will be a by product of enjoying yourself

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs

13st 13lbs
    The Christmas party season is in full flow and after 3 very heavy drinking sessions and resulting eating crap was surprised to not be back over 14 stone

Feel like ****e though as haven't trained in over a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I'll be back contributing to this thread in the new year I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Can I get in on this lads? I'll never join a group or anything so this might help.

5 ft 10 or 180cms, 118kg or about 260 lbs which is 18 st 8

Target is 100kg. Brother is 100kg and he looks well, plenty of muscle mass like myself but he is much much leaner even at 100kg. Both of us bulky rugby players, I got fat he still looks very strong and fit. Only exercise is walking the dog. I went to 95kg in 2013 when I didn't have a car and cycled without changing my diet though so I think my body will respond well to exercise and diet.
    Are we going to do it on this thread?

Looking forward to it. Need a bit of support and happy to give it too.

Diet consists of meat, potatoes and bread really. Could do with getting fruit and veg in there really. Love stir fry which I always see mentioned here. It's in the supermarket I need to make the changes.

I posted this at 118kg in July but didn't do anything about it. In October I started running and eating a little bit less. Not really huge changes but results are showing. I haven't gone mad on a diet or anything just cut some rubbish out. I'm now 107kgs which is 11kg in 2 months.
    Everyone that sees me remarks on the weight loss so thats good.
    Target was 100kg and maybe still is, when I get there I'll see if I want to go to 95kg. Maybe I will. Shouldn't be a problem I'm in the swing of things now. Signed up to Dublin city marathon in October 2019 and my running is geared towards being able for it in 4 hrs 30 mins. At the moment, at 107kgs I can run a 30 min 5k pretty easily.
    So marathon pace will be a bit slower and I should be 90-95kg it's or so doing it. Maybe for the sake of doing a marathon I'll keep pushing even when I hit 100kgs. I haven't the inclination nor the body type to go any lower than 90ķgs anyway. I'm gonna read through to see how everyone is doing and pick up tips.
    My tip...just eat meals and cut the rubbish, don't go mental on the portion sizes and get up and exercise. Not exactly rocket science but I'm proof it works.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Canelo103

I posted this at 118kg in July but didn't do anything about it. In October I started running and eating a little bit less. Not really huge changes but results are showing. I haven't gone mad on a diet or anything just cut some rubbish out. I'm now 107kgs which is 11kg in 2 months.
    Target was 100kg and maybe still is, when I get there I'll see if I want to go to 95kg. Maybe I will. Shouldn't be a problem I'm in the swing of things now. Signed up to Dublin city marathon in October 2019 and my running is geared towards being able for it in 4 hrs 30 mins. At the moment, at 107kgs I can run a 30 min 5k pretty easily.
    So marathon pace will be a bit slower and I should be 90-95kg it's or so doing it. Maybe for the sake of doing a marathon I'll keep pushing even when I hit 100kgs. I haven't the inclination nor the body type to go any lower than 90ķgs anyway. I'm gonna read through to see how everyone is doing and pick up tips.
    My tip...just eat meals and cut the rubbish, don't go mental on the portion sizes and get up and exercise. Not exactly rocket science but I'm proof it works.

I'd avoid long distance running, generally speaking it's not good for you as it stresses and ages you. Have a look at 100m sprinters vs ling distance runners, which ones look healthier.

It's more beneficial to do weight training, high intenisty aerobic activity for short durations and mobility training.

Canelo103 wrote: »
    I'd avoid long distance running, generally speaking it's not good for you as it stresses and ages you. Have a look at 100m sprinters vs ling distance runners, which ones look healthier.

It's more beneficial to do weight training, high intenisty aerobic activity for short durations and mobility training.

To be fair, you're talking about elite level athletes as a comparison.

I don't disagree about including resistance training but if the poster is more likely to continue running because they enjoy it, then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Canelo103 wrote: »

It's just a goal for me to do the marathon. I get what you are saying though about long distance runners looking ageing but they are the ones that get very skinny. I've seen them from the local running club. But I won't be getting very skinny, trust me!! I do a good bit of strength training too, always did from my rugby days. Weight just stabilised over Christmas, no further loss but I'm going to do another 10kg loss between now and February

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Big shock standing on the scales this morning, but then realised it wasn't calibrated right.

Still, an expected shock when stood on it correctly.

Post-Christmas weigh-in - 86.5kg

About 3.5 - 4kg over average....let the grind begin!!

Post Christmas weigh in ....... 85.3.

Not bad. Goal now is 80 before april

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs

14st 4lbs after a very heavy Christmas of drinking and eating ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 the lizard king

In fairness, diet is crucial to weight loss. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about. The ratio of diet to exercise when it comes to weight loss is 85%-15%. The next key thing is to find nutritious foods that you actually like. You will not sustain a diet of healthy food that you ultimately dislike. Then, find a fish that you enjoy, salmon and tuna are best, but white fish is fine also provided it's not battered, breaded or deep-fried. Steamed is best. If you're not opposed to supplements then a good protein powder is effective. The more muscle you build the greater amount of calories your body requires even at rest. A shake or porridge in the morning with some protein powder through it is nice and a brilliant breakfast. Protein production is also greater at night when you're asleep so taking a casine supplement is good for muscle growth. If that's too much try natural yogurt with a tablespoon of peanut butter and some blueberries as a pre-bed snack.
    Reduce your portion sizes, switch potatoes with sweet potatoes, give up pasta and replace rice with quinoa. Eat mostly green veg as colored veg contain more sugar. Do not eat fruit such as oranges or bananas after 8 at night.
    Some people believe you shouldn't eat after your main evening meal at all. If you wish to do this, a useful tip is to brush your teeth 30 mins after your meal and make sure to brush your tongue. Often people think they're hungry in the evening when it's just flavors from their meal still on their tongues that's making them crave food.
    Almonds for snack also. Hope this is helpful.
    Good luck.
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the lizard king

Another tip: don't go more than 4 hrs without eating. If you do your body goes into starvation mode. Nothing to do with starvi g to death, it means thd body switches on the stress hormone cortisol (might be spelled incorrectly), which instructs the body to store sugar and fat and to use protein as an energy source. If you go longer than 4 hrs make sure what you eat next has little to no sugar or fat whatsoever in it.
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Another tip: don't go more than 4 hrs without eating. If you do your body goes into starvation mode. Nothing to do with starvi g to death, it means thd body switches on the stress hormone cortisol (might be spelled incorrectly), which instructs the body to store sugar and fat and to use protein as an energy source. If you go longer than 4 hrs make sure what you eat next has little to no sugar or fat whatsoever in it.
    Mark

Lol I can’t believe people still believe this sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Do not eat fruit such as oranges or bananas after 8 at night.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Myself and my boyfriend are both overweight. We don't eat horrendously unhealthily (as in we're not stuffing our faces with crisps and chocolate every day!), it's more a collection of bad habits, particularly portion sizes. We will hopefully start a family in a year or two and I'd love us to be as healthy as can be for that. We're both good cooks and makes all sauces etc from scratch so at least we're not starting from nothing.

I want it to be sustainable so I've been thinking of 12 steps - each month has a specific focus with the idea being to form a habit and then add to it! To start I've got:

1. Focus on having at least 5 portions of fruit and veg per day - currently we only get 2-3 which is awful

2. Seriously focus on portion sizes, particularly of carbs (the idea of having the veg step before this is that this one will be easier and probably happen naturally with more veg on the plate)

3. At least 2 veggie dinners per week (we already have some fab recipes that we've enjoyed, we can just be lazy about them sometimes)

4. Move more - get out for at least 2 walks during the week, and one long walk at weekends

... that's the general idea, could anyone add some more ideas? Trying to link them with the seasons too e.g. a goal regarding salads or something during the summer months, to set us up for success and make it enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cake Man wrote: »
    Lol I can’t believe people still believe this sh!t.
    Channel 5 had a whole two hour programme the other night that was mainly perpetuating the myths (imo at least - giving equal or more time to the cranks than the science).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

... that's the general idea, could anyone add some more ideas? Trying to link them with the seasons too e.g. a goal regarding salads or something during the summer months, to set us up for success and make it enjoyable!
    I would argue incremental changes work best so I think it's a good approach. Ye won't lose weight without a calorie deficit though.

It sounds like you don't need them, but I've found the foodforfitness.co.uk recipes good - I've brought the ebook recipe books and haven't really had a dud yet. About the only thing is that we're able to split most of them down into more portions than he says. The site/ podcast has good science based advice too imo.

In fairness, diet is crucial to weight loss. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about. The ratio of diet to exercise when it comes to weight loss is 85%-15%. The next key thing is to find nutritious foods that you actually like. You will not sustain a diet of healthy food that you ultimately dislike. Then, find a fish that you enjoy, salmon and tuna are best, but white fish is fine also provided it's not battered, breaded or deep-fried. Steamed is best. If you're not opposed to supplements then a good protein powder is effective. The more muscle you build the greater amount of calories your body requires even at rest. A shake or porridge in the morning with some protein powder through it is nice and a brilliant breakfast. Protein production is also greater at night when you're asleep so taking a casine supplement is good for muscle growth. If that's too much try natural yogurt with a tablespoon of peanut butter and some blueberries as a pre-bed snack.
    Reduce your portion sizes, switch potatoes with sweet potatoes, give up pasta and replace rice with quinoa. Eat mostly green veg as colored veg contain more sugar. Do not eat fruit such as oranges or bananas after 8 at night.
    Some people believe you shouldn't eat after your main evening meal at all. If you wish to do this, a useful tip is to brush your teeth 30 mins after your meal and make sure to brush your tongue. Often people think they're hungry in the evening when it's just flavors from their meal still on their tongues that's making them crave food.
    Almonds for snack also. Hope this is helpful.
    Good luck.
    Mark

Just a bit of context, as it's not entirely clear here: supplements etc are more relevant if you're also doing training and looking to build muscle.

Also, muscle protein synthesis is lower at night. Not higher. The studies that showed increased muscle protein synthesis at night from protein ingestion prior to sleep were (a) where participants had done some resistance training and (b) the protein ingestion was of the order of 28g+.

So again casein supplements are not particularly relevant unless you're engaging in resistance training and you would need to have maybe 200-250g of greek yoghurt (as opposed to natural yoghurt, of which you would need more) to promote muscle protein synthesis overnight.

Just for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Channel 5 had a whole two hour programme the other night that was mainly perpetuating the myths (imo at least - giving equal or more time to the cranks than the science).

Christ, I caught a few minutes of that myself and it was awful. One guy said that counting calories doesn't work because no one counted calories in our grandparents day and obesity wasn't as big of a problem then. And even one of the more sensible ones said you shouldn't count calories because it's boring, and if you only got your calories each day from chocolates you'd be malnourished, so just forget about calories and eat a balanced diet.

Turned it off after that. Complete tosh, wrapping up bull**** in half-truths and ignoring common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Penn wrote: »
    Christ, I caught a few minutes of that myself and it was awful. One guy said that counting calories doesn't work because no one counted calories in our grandparents day and obesity wasn't as big of a problem then. And even one of the more sensible ones said you shouldn't count calories because it's boring, and if you only got your calories each day from chocolates you'd be malnourished, so just forget about calories and eat a balanced diet.

Turned it off after that. Complete tosh, wrapping up bull**** in half-truths and ignoring common sense.

I havnt seen this programme , but what is wrong with the statement that people weren’t obese in the past before people knew anything about calories? To make the same point someone on twitter showed a piece of footage from new York around 1910 and there wasn’t a single obese person in all the footage.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement