Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Because it's hard
    ....... wrote: »
    Wow - we have another one who will revolutionise the weight loss industry!!

Who knew it was so simple!!

Patent this idea - sell it - you will be rich beyond your wildest dreams!!!

I mean, why on earth do we have a western world obesity crisis if the answer is so simple????????

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Penn wrote: »
    "take in less calories than your body is burning" - Again, this is overly simplistic and doesn't address how to ensure you have a good balance on nutrition in terms of getting enough protein, reducing fats, or for those on a Keto diet for example, getting more fats, healthier fats, reducing carbs etc. Another example from my own experience would be that for the first few weeks I was eating fewer calories than I was burning. However, I was having slight health complications which arose from not getting enough potassium in my diet. So yes, I find this to be overly simplistic.

"There is no need for external motivation if someone actually follows that advice." - Many people do struggle to stay motivated as time goes on. Continued diets can begin to feel boring, or bland, or overly restrictive, and that can result in people breaking diets. External motivation can be a great help, and can also help with accountability. Take for example going to Slimming World. Because people have paid for classes and are expected at weekly weigh-ins, or they know they have a weigh-in coming up, it can help them to stay motivated to stick to the diet. I've been greatly motivated by reading about the progress so many have made here before and it helps me stay motivated to keep going with my own diet.

"My recommendation for weight training is also extensively researched." - As before with your comment about taking in calories, just saying "lift weights" is overly simplistic. People use this forum to ask about how often should they be lifting weights, if they don't like lifting weights can they do cardio instead, or even just sharing their experiences of lifting weights which can encourage others to do it too.

Again, with most of what you said, you're not wrong. I'm just saying that posting the absolute minimum of "Take in less calories than you are burning. Lift weights a few times per week. Do this for 6 months and you wont be fat. End of story." is needlessly simplistic and unhelpful. Everyone knows that. It's how to achieve that, offering tips on recipes/foods, reading other people's experiences and advice and supporting and encouraging each other that helps people on this forum.

I see your point. The people I usually deal with are highly motivated and so perhaps I'm being aggressively simplistic for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Snipp wrote: »
    I see your point. The people I usually deal with are highly motivated and so perhaps I'm being aggressively simplistic for this forum.

That's all fair enough, and sorry if I'm coming across as rude. I just think there's more to it and a greater depth of conversation and advice to be had and shared, as while the basic idea of eat fewer calories than you burn is solid, there's so many different ways of doing it, common issues people face and sometimes people also just need support and advice.

tony1980 wrote: »
    In fairness, I never said it was the only way to lose weight. I have lots of experience over the years with weight going up and down, the usual pitfalls, etc so I’ve been through all the ups and downs so I see your point and I agree.

I definitely don’t want to advocate any sort of diet and think that people should try tweak certain things they are trying to suit them in a sensible manner. One of the things I like about IF, is not just about losing weight, it’s more about the health benefits around it relating to insulin spikes and the body been able to get a chance to do some repairing during that period.

It’s great that worked for you but what I said is just a suggestion to give a go, never intended it as the only way it can be done and I would definitely recommend doing a bit of research on it before even trying it so you can be prepared. The first week can bring issues with electrolytes which can make it difficult but after a couple of weeks, this subsided and I for one, certainly stopped getting those afternoon lulls and had way more energy because of it.

Thankfully I’m at the stage where I’m doing it because of how great I feel and not relating to weight and I’m doing way less exercise than I was the past couple of years when I was running marathons.

There is a guy on Twitter I think you might find interesting to listen to, even if you don’t agree with him. He is very knowledgeable and a real interesting guy to listen to. Ivor Cummins is his name, an Irish guy.

Cheers, I'll check him out alright. The likes of IF and keto, I always had in the back of my mind that if I got to the stage where I plateaued or started to wobble, I might try switching to one of those for a while (or slimming world or something). But for myself I just knew from the start, I'd find it too hard to stick to long term. It definitely works for people, but I felt less confident about it working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

While weigth loss is mainly down to diet (it's easier to consume less calories to begin with than it is to burn off excess calories), I wouldn't downplay the importance of regular exercise.

For me, exercise and diet go hand in hand as motivation for each other. That is, I maintain a healthy diet because I don't want my hard work re: exercising to go to waste, and I maintain exercising because it's a great compliment to my healthy diet. They pretty much prop each other up during moments of weakness or lack of willpower.

Plus, when you do give in and allow yourself a 500 calorie piece of junk food, it's less devastating to your progress when you can say "Oh well, I burned that at the gym this morning."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs

14st 2.5lbs been a struggle to get the eating back on track. Two gym sessions where a struggle as well but at least it moving in right direction again

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Deise boii

redzerdrog wrote: »
    15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs

14st 2.5lbs been a struggle to get the eating back on track. Two gym sessions where a struggle as well but at least it moving in right direction again

How have you managed to keep the weight off consistently. That's some going fair play

Deise boii wrote: »
    How have you managed to keep the weight off consistently. That's some going fair play

I still haven't reached my original gial of 13st 10lb so won't be getting carried away just yet.

I know most say it's as much as 80% diet and the rest exercise but they both go hand and hand for me. If he don't train my diet goes to ****e and I did train I make better choices.

I try to do some level of exercise 3 times a week weather that is gym, football, AstroTurf or golf. Doesn't always happen but that is the aim mist weeks.

I hate the idea if dieting and haven't got the will power for it either. What I have tried to do is make sustainable choices. Reduced level of chocolate and biscuits during the day (still have them when I want just not being a pig about it.) Better lunch choices whereas previously it might have been a club sandwich and chips, I will now go with a omelette and brown bread or salad. Even with take aways instead if a burger/kebab and chips I might go with something from kanoodle.

I don't feel like I am losing out on anything and will still have a feed of pints when I feel like it just trying to make better daily choices and keep active a bit more than what I was.

Fitbit helps a bit as well and have 10000 steps daily target but it more helpful if I get home from work and realised I have only done 3000 steps I might go for a walk and stretch legs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I still haven't reached my original gial of 13st 10lb so won't be getting carried away just yet.

I know most say it's as much as 80% diet and the rest exercise but they both go hand and hand for me. If he don't train my diet goes to ****e and I didn't train I make better choices.

I try to do some level of exercise 3 times a week weather that is gym, football, AstroTurf or golf. Doesn't always happen but that is the aim mist weeks.

I hate the idea if dieting and haven't got the will power for it either. What I have tried to do is make sustainable choices. Reduced level of chocolate and biscuits during the day (still have them when I want just not being a pig about it.) Better lunch choices whereas previously it might have been a club sandwich and chips, I will now go with a omelette and brown bread or salad. Even with take aways instead if a burger/kebab and chips I might go with something from kanoodle.

I don't feel like I am losing out on anything and will still have a feed of pints when I feel like it just trying to make better daily choices and keep active a bit more than what I was.

Fitbit helps a bit as well and have 10000 steps daily target but it more helpful if I get home from work and realised I have only done 3000 steps I might go for a walk and stretch legs

Sounds like you have a good handle on it, chief. Aiming to make the right choices for the rigjt reasons so that you can sustain long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Monday weigh in

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg

No dietary changes and no additional exercise, however I am doing dry January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Monday weigh-in

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg

Heading to the US this week, this won't bode well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i'm 6ft 3 and was 18 and half stone in my early 30's and started by working out a circuit of 4 km and walking it then jogging and when i got tired slowed to a walk but kept walking till i got my breath back then would jog again then eventually i was able to run the full 4km . then i joined a gym , that combined with cutting out food after 7pm bar the off lapse i lost 4 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

peteeeed wrote: »
    i'm 6ft 3 and was 18 and half stone in my early 30's and started by working out a circuit of 4 km and walking it then jogging and when i got tired slowed to a walk but kept walking till i got my breath back then would jog again then eventually i was able to run the full 4km . then i joined a gym , that combined with cutting out food after 7pm bar the off lapse i lost 4 stone

That’s great stuff! It just shows you that the evening time is the most dangerous time for bad snacks or take away food while watching TV. That change alone would make a huge difference in most people’s lives!

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs

14st 1.5lbs Jesus it felt easier before Christmas, feel like I had to work harder this week and was maybe expecting slightly more of a loss but at least it moving in the right direction for the 2nd week in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Fair play redzer, progress is progress, no matter how much you think it's slowed down.

1.5lbs in a week is perfectly fine btw!

Tuesday weigh in

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg

Very slow progress but I only began implementing dietary changes yesterday. Will start the fitness side of things in the coming days.

Weight loss so far solely from not having a drink since new years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,179 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg

Very slow progress but I only began implementing dietary changes yesterday. Will start the fitness side of things in the coming day.
    If you don't mind me asking, what were you implementing for the first 3 weeks if not dietary changes or fitness?

Mellor wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, what were you implementing for the first 3 weeks if not dietary changes or fitness?

I continued to do my usual daily routine, I burn about 2800 cals a day going by my Garmin, when I removed the additional alcohol calories I'm only eating about 2500 cals a day, so it would be from a calorie deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Just came across this thread here.Goint to aim to lose half a stone per 4 weeks and aim to have lost stone and a half by end of 12 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Haven't been documenting as much as some on here but my weight is now at 102kgs from 118kgs in Sept/Oct when I started. Combining a bit of running with some gym work in my local rugby club so I'm very active. Walk short distances now never drive. Have done a good few 5km parkruns now in prep for Dublin marathon. The increase in activity has obviously created a calorie deficit. If I'm being honest I could have probably gone to 90kgs already if I was really trying my hardest which would have been my bottom target weight at the outset. Still have a big dinner generally full of potatoes or pasta, meat, Bolognese sauces, but I'm not eating as much bread, have a takeaway once a week and have a good sup of beer once a week too (10 pints plus). So I'm not denying myself anything which is helping. Don't snack also which helps, very rare I'd have crisps or chocolate.
    Things working in my favour - quite heavily muscled from years of rugby and strength training so I think I burn more calories than most just to maintain. Fitness - I'm used to hard training and I can push myself and go heavy on the weights room.
    So 16kgs in about 4 months I'm happy with, I thought 100kg would see me at my optimal weight but I think it's closer to 90kgs now. So short term is the drive to 100kgs in 2 weeks then 90kgs in 2 months. Will be delighted when I get there. In old money I've gone from 260 lbs which is 18 stone 8 to 224 lbs which is 16 stone on the button and I look and feel much better. Target weight old money is 200 lbs which is 14 stone 4. So 4 stone 4 lbs loss total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

With MyFiness Pal do you have to use up all the calories in your goal for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,179 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Payton wrote: »
    With MyFiness Pal do you have to use up all the calories in your goal for the day?

Nope.
    Probably better if you don't tbh

Slipped up and have gone from 84.5 to 87.2.

Ugh. So hard to lose but so easy to put on.

Slipped up and have gone from 84.5 to 87.2.

Ugh. So hard to lose but so easy to put on.

Definitely a lot easier to put back on and then it feels even harder to lose 2nd time round.

I think the key is to catch the slide before it gets out of control, even maintaining that weight for a week before starting to move things in the right direction again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Monday weigh-in

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - In America busy putting back on all the weight I lost
    Week 5 - 84.9kg

Nothing on for next month so should be disciplined

Payton wrote: »

No, but do try and make sure you're not going too low too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Going to jump in on this thread.
    I'm 184 cm, 105 KG. With a Wedding in June I want to lost 10KG at least of that figure.

Why I think it is achievable - I'm cycling 23km per day (rain/hail/shine) since the start of the year. I am down 3KG
    I have realised though I need to sort out the diet. Have found this thread which is great, downloaded myfitnesspal and I am starting to track calories.

Why I think I will fail - I love falling off the wagon. Its going to take a serious cramp down on cheat days or cheat on my cheats and make them a relatively healthy day - that and cut down on pints (drinking at home is a killer) - wish me luck

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs

14st 0.5lbs
    Kept on forgetting to weigh in so it was about 10 days from the last weigh in. 1lb down isn't bad however I feel like I have trained harder during this, had 2 gym sessions, 1 preseason football training and 2 rounds of golf.
    Definitely feel the best I have done since before Christmas so i telling myself that muscle has replaced fat and that's why am not down more :-)

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg

Started back at the gym yesterday. Should start to pick up the weight loss pace now.

• Advertisement

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg

Hour in the gym twice a week, net calories approx 1800 daily.

Advertisement