Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 0.5lbs

14st 1.5lbs
    Was away for the weekend and over indulged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - In America busy putting back on all the weight I lost
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    Week 6 - 82.9kg

Gonna do my weigh-ins on a Friday from now on as it is a better reflection of average weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thinking of doing the Friday weigh in myself from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

At my heaviest ever last week at 103.4kg this morning I was 102.00 hopefully this is it, I've dropped some bad habits and picked up some new good habits. This is my year!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Deise boii wrote: »
    Hello

I'm nearly 36 just under 6ft and in and around 15st 8lbs. I am fed up of being on the big side.

I used to play gaa and would go for a run once a week. I know I need to increase that. I can go for 10k in under an hour which I know would be quite slow but suppose it's a start.

Basically I'm here looking for advice about ways to get down to under 15st maybe closer to 14. I want to change my diet as sometimes it can be good but when work is busy and working long hours I notice it goes to pot

I had ideas that other people would join in here and we support eachother to try and loose a bit or just for encouragement.

Any takers?

35 here...must be an Irish thing, lots of us males in thirties around 5ft 11 - 6ft seem to be around 15 stone to 15.5 stone. Ive had it now myself after buying some nice clothing recently and looking in the mirror...look bloody awful, I don't have a chubby face & have skinny legs and arms so I have this large muffin top gut fecking terrible...apple shaped lol.

Ive always worn dark t-shirts & hoodies etc to hide it somewhat but ive got to pull the finger out now and stick to a 6 month plan of strict exercise and proper eating to shake off 2 stone at least. My problem is I always only manage a month or so of dieting and exercise and drop a little weight feel lighter and then go back to my old ways!

• Advertisement

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    35 here...must be an Irish thing, lots of us males in thirties around 5ft 11 - 6ft seem to be around 15 stone to 15.5 stone. Ive had it now myself after buying some nice clothing recently and looking in the mirror...look bloody awful, I don't have a chubby face & have skinny legs and arms so I have this large muffin top gut fecking terrible...apple shaped lol.

Ive always worn dark t-shirts & hoodies etc to hide it somewhat but ive got to pull the finger out now and stick to a 6 month plan of strict exercise and proper eating to shake off 2 stone at least. My problem is I always only manage a month or so of dieting and exercise and drop a little weight feel lighter and then go back to my old ways!
    Yeah your pretty much the same as me in height build etc. Most of the weight in the gut, but don't fool yourself with your skinny face talk, when you loose the weight and look b ack at pictures you will notice.
    Your problem is your attitude, you need a permanent lifestyle change not a quick diet!

iamtony wrote: »
    At my heaviest ever last week at 103.4kg this morning I was 102.00 hopefully this is it, I've dropped some bad habits and picked up some new good habits. This is my year!
    100.1kg this morning. I love those first week losses. Pity they don't happen every week.
    7.3 pounds or half a stone down in a week.
    One more kg lose will get me out of obese bmi to overweight.

Week 1 - 96.1 kg
    Week 2 - 95.7 kg
    Week 3 - 95.2 kg
    Week 4 - 94.8 kg
    Week 5 - 94.3 kg
    Week 6 - 93.4 kg

Slow and steady wins the race....or something like that!

87.0 kg this morning.

Can't seem to lose anything. Might have plateaued with the diet. I suppose I'll have to *gulp* exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

15st 10lbs
    15st
    14st 12lbs
    15st 2lbs
    14st 10lbs
    14st 9lbs
    14st 6.5lbs
    14st 5lbs
    14st 1lb
    13st 13.5lbs
    13st 11lbs
    13st 13lbs
    14st 4lbs
    14st 2.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs
    14st 0.5lbs
    14st 1.5lbs

14st 1.5lbs still stuck at this. Seems to fluctuate between 14st 0.5lbs and 14st 1.5lbs over the past few weeks and can't break the 14stone barrier at the minute. Last night's Indian definitely wouldn't have helped things.

New role in work over the past couple of weeks which has brought it's own stresses along with more time in meetings so the step count took a serious hit.

Let's see what the next week brings

• Advertisement

87.0 kg this morning.

Can't seem to lose anything. Might have plateaued with the diet. I suppose I'll have to *gulp* exercise.

Try up calorie intake for a day or two to shake up the metabolism.

Try up calorie intake for a day or two to shake up the metabolism.

Really? Eat loads? I can do that!!

Really? Eat loads? I can do that!!

Go bananas! haha. Works for me, if I feel I'm slowing down I'll up instake to about 3000 cals ( I burn 2800 ish most days).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Week 1 - 86.2kg
    Week 2 - 84.4kg
    Week 3 - 83.4kg
    Week 4 - In America busy putting back on all the weight I lost
    Week 5 - 84.9kg
    08/02 Week 6 - 82.9kg
    15/02 Week 7 - 82.9kg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There is some evidence that cheat days can help. The (hard) thing is not to go too far, and not lead it into a spiral off the wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I'm just curious if anyone here has tried the fasting method. Just in case anyone doesn't know you can fast for 12 hours then eat, or fast for 16 hours then have an 8 hour window to eat. Then you can fast for 20 hours & eat in the 4 hour window.
    The easiest thing to do is just not eat breakfast in the morning or just delay it as long as you can.

jopax wrote: »
    I'm just curious if anyone here has tried the fasting method. Just in case anyone doesn't know you can fast for 12 hours then eat, or fast for 16 hours then have an 8 hour window to eat. Then you can fast for 20 hours & eat in the 4 hour window.
    The easiest thing to do is just not eat breakfast in the morning or just delay it as long as you can.
    Ive never tried but I believe it's something people do on a low carb diet to kick start you body into a ketogenic state(your body switches to burning fat as fuel instead of using the carbs your eating). Seems to work for some people.
    I think it's naturally a good thing to do for you body anyway to give it a break from always digesting food.
    Funny enough I'm just thinking and I usually don't eat most days after dinner which is about 5pm and don't start eating till the next morning at about 8 so technically fasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Ive never tried but I believe it's something people do on a low carb diet to kick start you body into a ketogenic state(your body switches to burning fat as fuel instead of using the carbs your eating). Seems to work for some people.
    I think it's naturally a good thing to do for you body anyway to give it a break from always digesting food.
    Funny enough I'm just thinking and I usually don't eat most days after dinner which is about 5pm and don't start eating till the next morning at about 8 so technically fasting.

I have researched it myself too, & found the same as what you are saying about it. Yes it does sound like what your doing it definitely must help.
    I'm trying it arm & am losing fat which I badly needed to, I find it easier than counting calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Advocates of a ketogenic diet say intermittent fasting complements keto diet but intermittent fasting isn't something you only do on a ketogenic diet. It's just restricting the window in which you eat. Nothing more really to it.

I did keto for about 6 months before and the weight absolutely fell off me but once I moved back onto carbs I ballooned. It was great at the time but just couldn't see myself doing it long term.

• Advertisement

I did keto for about 6 months before and the weight absolutely fell off me but once I moved back onto carbs I ballooned.

Because you were consuming more calories.

Because you were consuming more calories.

Yes, and carrying far more water. Not only that, when you give a fat burning machine carbs, they go straight to the belly.

Yes, and carrying far more water. Not only that, when you give a fat burning machine carbs, they go straight to the belly.

More water wouldn't be the main reason gi4 ballooning weight though.

As for the giving a fat burning machine carbs and going straight to the belly, that may be someway connected to reality if in a calorie surplus. Otherwise it's just bro science. Carbs don't just get shuttled to your belly.

Biggest problem I found with keto was higher blood pressure and less pump after the gym. I was lean but looked small. Hard to beat the glycogen pump.

Much prefer to eat whatever I want in smaller amounts, takes me longer to lose but easier to keep maintained. Serious brain fog on keto too, although some people say the opposite. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Yeah I went to Educogym where they put you on a keto diet and exercise 3 times a week for 20 minutes each. Weight fell off in 3 months but less than a year later was back on. Had to eat loads of butter and meat but barely any veg and no carbs so I just found it a bit repulsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im on the fence a little about a keto diet as in if defined as a high fat diet, i'd be in a ketogenic state most of the time i'd imagine , i dont track macros or calories but i steer in the lower carb, higher protein and fat comes along for a ride, fasting/IF would ensure im in ketosis most of the time.
    you just need to do what you are prepared to do for life, for me thats essentially no grains no sugar except as occasional treats, im grand with that. clearly for the people that burn out on constant low fat or traditional dieting approach should look elsewhere and by all accounts the success of dieting is very poor over the longer term

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

100.1kg this morning. I love those first week losses. Pity they don't happen every week.
    7.3 pounds or half a stone down in a week.
    One more kg lose will get me out of obese bmi to overweight.
    Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Only 0.6 this week but I did go for a carvery dinner during the week and finished off everyone else's plate but good besides that.
    2 weeks off the beer. Cheat night tonight(carvery wasn't a cheat ok:pac:) 6 cans of Heineken zero and a Chinese. And my god am I gonna enjoy every bit of it.
    I've stopped craving crap food and beer already which is great.

Week 1 103.4kg
    Week 2 100.2kg
    Week 3 99.6kg
    Week 4 99.1kg

Another half kg this week. I'm 3 weeks off the booze and eating pretty good. Nothing too dramatic though, nice slow weightless and a diet I can commit to long term.

That cheat day that was recommended turned into a cheat weekend and now I'm up to 88.4.

Oooops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

jopax wrote: »

I started going to circuit training classes in January, 1-2 times a weeks to start and now I'm up to 3-4 classes. I didn't lose a pound in this time, but this week I started looking at diet and began intermittent fasting. Since Monday I have lost 4lbs. I give myself an 8-9 hour window each day to eat, and I'm finding it very easy to do. I'm eating well, not hungry much outside those hours, and I'm don't find myself obsessing about food. Last night after a class, I had a fruit/protein shake, but felt a bit hungry outside the eating window, so I had one slice of bread with some chicken breast and ham, and a cream cracker with peanut butter. The world didn't end! I might end up only doing it 5 days a week, but I'm definitely seeing results so far. I think I had gotten into a lot of bad habits (eating late at night, binging on rubbish), but now I have stopped buying anything that I can binge on, so I have to go for the healthy option (apart from Crunchies...I need my Crunchies :D Half a bar after dinner for dessert, with a tablespoon of ice-cream...see, you can have your treats!). I think I always did eat fairly well, but I just ate too much, and late-night cravings were my downfall, but I was mostly eating out of habit to be honest.

I want to get down 22lbs to start (and then another 14 after that!). 4lbs in 3 days is a good start, so I'm hoping it will continue :)

Advertisement