Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes, many of the older roads in Ireland are set to default 100 kph as they were built before the engineering standards that are used for new roads today.
    The limits on many of these roads would be lower in other countries.
    You're right, they don't complain about these roads though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I didn't.

Wake up, and don't be so Woke.

You compared people who decry flashing to the people who don't bat an eye lid at asylum seekers having their families torn apart, you're drawing a direct line between speeding and seeking asylum by suggesting that the reaction of certain people to one is reminiscent of the reactions to the other when the two situations are no where near comparable.

Also let's not pretend that those you flash are going to stay at/below the limit once they've passed the speed van. A fine and a few points on the licence are far more likely to curb individual speeding in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I agree completely with the never-flash-anyone-ever-under-no-circumstances people. If that oncoming motorist wasn't speeding he/she would have plenty of time to react to the camera van, the roadworks, the tractor pulling out, the woman with the pram, the child on the bike...etc

They should be driving safely within the speed limit so it's their own fault. Fcuk Them I say!

I can say this because I'm a wonderful driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I some times do it randomly in well known speed van spots even if there's no van there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Letting them get caught is better in the long term. Making them slow down once and get away with it is only making them more dangerous.

How is it better in the long term? 9 times out of 10 those vans are set up somewhere to attempt to catch people out. Speeding through towns and built up areas is dangerous, but that's not where the vans tend to be. Around here they're always hiding right where a speed limit changes for no obvious reason, or in the middle of a straight stretch of road.

I've seen plenty of situations where an idiot tries to merge on to a main road at 10km/h, where I've had to slam on the brakes despite being well under the speed limit. Yet to hear people like yourself tell it it's people doing 86 in an 80 zone that are the real danger on the roads.

Don't speed at all and they can't catch you at all, no matter where they're set up. It's extremely simple.

Flashing other drivers when the vans are around is simple too.

Only reinforces the behaviour.

"The behaviour" in most cases being doing 65-70 in a 60 zone. So fecking what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"The behaviour" in most cases being doing 65-70 in a 60 zone. So fecking what.

:rolleyes:

Do 60?

What if it's right where the speed limit changes and the driver isn't familiar with the area? What if someone is tailgating and it's not safe to immediately slow down to the new limit?

I'm not defending people driving well over the limit, I stick to the limit myself. The only point I'm trying to make is there are worse things that can happen on the road than someone doing 65 in a 60 zone. I even gave examples of this, but you just want to make condescending comments rather than engage in any actual discussion by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Drive bong along the N53 into Blaney last night and a few cars flashed so the car in front dropped from a legal 100kmh to 80kmh.

Idiot slowed down even though he or she wasn’t speeding.

And there was no fecking speed van, maybe they were reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Is it actually against the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Lots of “what ifs” there, none of which will help with the fine or the points, if people tailgate me I sow down on purpose, only the other day it happened to me at a 60 limit coming up to a 100 limit, and then they decided to overtake me on a solid white line while a white mondeo was approaching in the opposite direction, I engaged the sport plus mode for a bit of craic and they couldn’t get passed me
    White mondeo was an unmarked Garda car, oh how I laughed

* at no point during this event was any speed limit broken or animals hurt but I had fun

You had fun risking the lives of at least three people, probably more? You really need to grow up before you get behind the wheel again.

The driver broke the law by overtaking on a solid white line because they had no patience and then got pulled by the oncoming unmarked car, a few hundreds yards up the road there is a roundabout so where were they off to in such a hurry
    No dont was in danger there was no near miss here don’t be a drama queen

Assuming you're not taking the piss, the stuff you're talking about is exactly what I meant when I mentioned there are worse things people can do then going a few km over the limit.

It's not breaking the law. Well done. It's still dangerous and stupid driving. Another driver doing something stupid isn't an excuse for doing something stupid yourself for a laugh. If youre taking the piss then fair enough, but there are people stupid enough to do stuff like that out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This used to happen to me on a regular basis when overtaking cars on the M50 or attempting to enter an exit lane on my journey, people accelerating to block me off and prevent having a small car in front of them.

This is a very dangerous thing to do as it alters the calculations of the lane changing driver unexpectedly and can cause a mistake and a crash.

I got a more powerful car in order to be able to avoid being gamed in this way by drivers of cars more powerful than the average car.

Also bad are the tailgaters who leave no space for exiting cars but many drivers bunch up like this to prevent queue jumpers speeding to the top of the exit and jumping in at the last minute ahead of cars already in the exit lane in good time.

Big puzzle for me is how come cars stop on the exit lane at Palmerstown going from M50 northbound to M4 Westbound. There are no lights. Freeflow all the way. Why do they stop?????

Also on the M4 at Celbridge and Maynooth why do cars stop on the M4??? There are no lights and junctions until you hit Galway 200 Km away........freeflow all the way and yet people stop dead for minutes at a time.

The driver broke the law by overtaking on a solid white line because they had no patience and then got pulled by the oncoming unmarked car, a few hundreds yards up the road there is a roundabout so where were they off to in such a hurry
    No dont was in danger there was no near miss here don’t be a drama queen

I'm not defending the other driver in any way, but speeding up when someone tries to overtake you is a dickish move, regardless of the circumstances.

• Advertisement

Read the thread
    I was joking to see what reaction it got

I've read the thread thanks. What did you mean by switching to sports mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

doolox wrote: »
    Also bad are the tailgaters who leave no space for exiting cars but many drivers bunch up like this to prevent queue jumpers speeding to the top of the exit and jumping in at the last minute ahead of cars already in the exit lane in good time.

I always free up space for queue jumpers. Maybe they're in a hurry, maybe they're just rude, but to hell with it - it's not a competition and it's definitely not my job to police other people's behaviour on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Only if the car is blatantly fast and there's no speed van anywhere nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

For checkpoints no but for speed vans yes, there's one fella who sets up his van outside a house where nobody lives anymore.

I thought they couldn't do this on private property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

They do what they like, within the law.

I know of several locations that now have concrete blocks to prevent the scamera vans from parking.

Have an automatic car that has a few different modes like economy comfort sports and sports plus, it’s in loads of cars these days
    So it's used to speed up then, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I have sympathy for anyone who gets caught slightly over the speed limit (it's happened to me before), but let's not absolve them of responsibility and pretend they're the victims of some kind of scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

be under no illusions this is just another form of tax

• Advertisement

Advertisement