Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Or slow down in advance, you seem to know about the drop so I assume others in the area do too.

And the same scenario in an area i dont know? Because i am pretty sure those 2 spots arent the only 2 they use that tactic.
    Or i must be very unlucky.

For what it is worth, they haven caught me so far.
    I have a 6th sense developed for those speed checks in The Netherlands where they have so many of them, you can request a movie from you trip from A to B

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That just makes an already aggressive tool even more wound-up and dangerous, it's not up to you to teach lessons about driving to anyone.

Hmm.. I pull over when needful if there is somewhere safe to do so.. I do not pull over for an aggressive tailgater until is is safe, and if on a road where I know there is not going to be a safe place soon, I slow down, because if I need to stop suddenly, he is going to ram me. Especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    I do it for gosafe vans only, if I think the driver is marginally over.

You must be incredibly good at judging relative velocity speeds in an instant as you approach a car coming towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

It gives me more pleasure to see them getting caught.

It should be up to them to obey the speed limit not me.
    Apt name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

Graces7 wrote: »
    That just makes an already aggressive tool even more wound-up and dangerous, it's not up to you to teach lessons about driving to anyone.

Hmm.. I pull over when needful if there is somewhere safe to do so.. I do not pull over for an aggressive tailgater until is is safe, and if on a road where I know there is not going to be a safe place soon, I slow down, because if I need to stop suddenly, he is going to ram me.  Especially at night.
    Its not very practical to pull in at times, especially on a country road. Unless there is an ambulance or garda car behind me I tend to hold my ground. Nothing could be that important that someone has to go over 120 km an hour, especially when you consider than speed kills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fuzzyduck4 wrote: »
    Its not very practical to pull in at times, especially on a country road. Unless there is an ambulance or garda car behind me I tend to hold my ground. Nothing could be that important that someone has to go over 120 km an hour, especially when you consider than speed kills.

There was a boy racer one dark evening, who tailgated me for miles on the Ring Of Kerry road between Killarney and Moll's Gap, that very narrow winding part. I flashed brake lights a few times; he had headlights full on. Horn blaring.. I felt like stopping the car, getting out and lambasting him. Knew who he was too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Speed doesn't kill on it's own. Inappropriate speed does kill however.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I willl never pull in, if I am doing the legal speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

PARlance wrote: »
    I'll make a quick judgement call. If someone is driving at a crazy speed then no warning. If I think someone might be in danger of tipping along, a little over the limit, I'll warn. Especially if it's in a sneaky spot.

I can't tell the speed of an oncoming car down to the nearest km or anything. But you can spot the lunatics.

The trouble is, the limit has to be drawn somewhere, and wherever it's drawn somebody will be a little over. In practice the guards don't prosecute for a little over. I can only understand flashing a warning if one is in favour of totally unrestricted speeds. If there are revenue generating traps why is nobody using political pressure to address the issue? Must it always be as in the 1950s when often the parish priest decided in his absolute discretion whether to exercise pressure if he deemed the application of the law to a particular person in a particular instance to be unduly harsh?
    Would all the flashers not be better employed getting a bill through the Oireachtas allowing a speed free for all to drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

feargale wrote: »
    In practice the guards don't prosecute for a little over.
    No, no, no. Money-making racket, rabble rabble rabble. My mate got done for being 2mph over the limit, rabble rabble rabble. Go chase the real criminals, rabble rabble rabble. Revenue generation, rabble rabble rabble.

• Advertisement

"No as you can do done if caught be the police for doing it"

This was posted two minutes ago but has been deleted. I hope the poster isn't driving at the moment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

"No as you can do done if caught be the police for doing it"

This was posted two minutes ago but has been deleted. I hope the poster isn't driving at the moment. :D

That was mean, i deleted it until i found a link, i meant fined not done

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157763/Drivers-fined-flashing-headlights-warn-oncoming-cars-police-speed-trap.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I wonder how many motorists who are happy to turn a blind eye to speeding are equally as happy to do the same to cyclists breaking red lights.

After all in both cases it is a road user breaking the law.

I don't flash for either, though 90% of my driving in motorway so very rarely see either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If there are revenue generating traps why is nobody using political pressure to address the issue?

I don't get this whole 'revenue generating' trap nonsense. They are very clearly marked vans, parked out in the open, that you can usually spot well outside the distance they are effective in. So to me that means if you haven't spotted it in time to slow down enough not to get caught by it then you are either not paying enough attention to the road ahead or going far to fast.

In either case you deserve a little reminder that there are speed limits, not speed suggestions.

I grew up where these things were (and are pretty) normal, those are actual traps.

8b87d918-24e3-11e7-8dd1-65fba9298be9_web_scale_0.0875_0.0875__.jpg?maxheight=465&maxwidth=700

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.9
    If you can't spot a big white van sitting by the side of the road well.....that's just too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That link is for the uk and police
    What’s the law in Ireland if there even is one ?

Have a look at my location

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

wexie wrote: »
    I don't get this whole 'revenue generating' trap nonsense. They are very clearly marked vans, parked out in the open, that you can usually spot well outside the distance they are effective in. So to me that means if you haven't spotted it in time to slow down enough not to get caught by it then you are either not paying enough attention to the road ahead or going far to fast.

In either case you deserve a little reminder that there are speed limits, not speed suggestions.

I grew up where these things were (and are pretty) normal, those are actual traps.

8b87d918-24e3-11e7-8dd1-65fba9298be9_web_scale_0.0875_0.0875__.jpg?maxheight=465&maxwidth=700

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&quality=0.9
    If you can't spot a big white van sitting by the side of the road well.....that's just too bad.

Not every van is white. Some are red and some are yellow as well

Also in a hell of a lot of cases the vans are not parked out in the open. They are hid behind walls, trees etc

Also parked in areas where accidents don't happen

Those are the areas where people feel they are revenue generating vans. If the whole point of 'safety' vans is to get people to slow down and the company don't get extra revenue for detections then why are they so sly about where they park?

Cause they only want to catch people out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭corks finest

Always

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

But they're gernerating revenue off people who are breaking the law, so what?

Joke! Relax, man. We know it was a typo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

^^ this is just childish now.

No, you are.

wexie wrote: »
    I don't get this whole 'revenue generating' trap nonsense. They are very clearly marked vans, parked out in the open.

On one occasion I spotted one of these vans parked on a hard margin , on a bend at dusk with no lights on . This in itself was breaking the law. reported same to the RSA -heard no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The vast majority of cars are perfectly safe and comfortable cruising at 140kmh, my car is at absolute ease at 160 or even 180 on the motorway it was designed for it. Even high top people carriers are perfectly safe and capable of this speed, they all do it on autobhans, it’s not just well sorted cars that drive on them
    it’s mostly your run of the mill cars. It’s rarely you come across something like a defender doing even 120 so I don’t see any reason assume it would make much difference.

I've had a couple of GTi's Nox. 180kph is to fast for Irish Motorways. With you're sedentary lifestyle and weekly alcohol intake I'd say your reactions are fairly slow.
    The fact is cars were absolute scrap when these limits were set, even a super car from the days the limits were set would be inferior to a micra or Clio today in terms of braking, tyres etc. 100kmh is extremely slow on many of or N roads etc and many roads have 80kmh speed limits for many many kms of road and it would drive you insane sitting at that speed on a road well capable of faster.

Aside from the autobahn it's the same all over the world Nox! The engineers base the speed limits on lots of factors, some of which wouldn't enter your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

for checkpoints- Never
    If there was a hazard or a bad road accident up ahead- yes i do
    speed van- yes i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Just wondering, as the vans are occupied normally, would they leave the engine running to use the aircon these days?

Cause otherwise there might be a few mummified speed camera operators dotted around the country

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Not every van is white. Some are red and some are yellow as well

Also in a hell of a lot of cases the vans are not parked out in the open. They are hid behind walls, trees etc

Also parked in areas where accidents don't happen

Those are the areas where people feel they are revenue generating vans. If the whole point of 'safety' vans is to get people to slow down and the company don't get extra revenue for detections then why are they so sly about where they park?

Cause they only want to catch people out

As I mentioned earlier, I have seen a van parked in a hard margin, on a bend , at dusk (lighting up time) with not a light visable.

Is this contributing to road safety ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Kalyke

They are leaving the sliding door open...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Isn't it illegal to flash drivers to warn of speed vans/garda checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

There was a check point this evening going onto M4 at Maynooth exit. Thought it was a bit dangerous. It's a very busy junction with a lot of traffic heading to M4 Sligo as well as too + from Maynooth. They decided to set it up at peak traffic. The result was cars backing up and causing issues at the junction. Could have easily caused an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement