Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Blazer wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. There are plenty of justifiable reasons to speed.

Excluding the emergency services, why don’t you list a few everyday examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Speed van, hairdryer, checkpoint, customs.

I'll flash for them all, baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

amcalester wrote:

I have rushed to the hospital with an injured child. That's an everyday example, ambulances are not always available rurally.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I have rushed to the hospital with an injured child. That's an everyday example, ambulances are not always available rurally.

It’s not exactly an everyday occurrence though is it? Most speeding motorists don’t have a sick child in the back, they’re late for work/school/dinner etc.

People speed and break the law for various reasons most of which aren’t justified but are accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

amcalester wrote: »
    Getting to pub/off licence before closing.
    Getting to bookies before white flag is raised.
    Getting away before Guard gets into patrol car after I fail to stop when I have a few pints on board.
    The list is endless

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote:
    It’s not exactly an everyday occurrence though is it? Most speeding motorists don’t have a sick child in the back, they’re late for work/school/dinner etc.

You asked for an everyday occurrence. You don't agree with my example maybe narrow the parameters as to what you accept as an everyday occurrence so.

You asked for an everyday occurrence. You don't agree with my example maybe narrow the parameters as to what you accept as an everyday occurrence so.

So you have to drive a sick child to hospital everyday?

If no, then it’s not an everyday example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Bet if you were in the back of an ambulance on a stretcher you wouldn't say that.

Rubbish argument. They can.

Strumms wrote: »
    Who is calling for speeding ? Fact remains that most drivers will admit that they on occasion break the limit, in error, slightly and unintentionally. If they are caught ? So be it. They need to accept and deal with the consequences. Like adults. By the tone and content of your reply there...understanding the essence of what is being discussed could be a bridge too far but thanks for trying.

Speeding is normally just an act of defiance and self importance. Big swinging mickey syndrome.
    In reality 99.99% of the ***** out there breaking limits have time that's that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Patww79 wrote: »
    Speeding is normally just an act of defiance and self importance. Big swinging mickey syndrome.

You surely didn't type that with a straight face? Nonsense, man.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote:
    So you have to drive a sick child to hospital everyday?

Somehow I think you know exactly what I mean but are being deliberately argumentative.

Patww79 wrote:
    Rubbish argument. They can.

You claimed there was absolutely no need for speeding. You can't have it both ways.

You claimed there was absolutely no need for speeding. You can't have it both ways.

That's a bit of a laugh when you've just had the brass neck to call someone deliberately argumentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No. But if I was to, it would be for someone doing in or around the limit, they dont deserve to be done for a few km over on a wide open 100kph zone. If it looks like they were way over, let them take their punishment.

Patww79 wrote:
    That's a bit of a laugh when you've just had the brass neck to call someone deliberately argumentative.

Do you not see the contradiction?

Somehow I think you know exactly what I mean but are being deliberately argumentative.

Nah, just not buying into the idea that every speeding motorist is doing so because of some justifiable emergency such as rushing a child to hospital.

Football practice maybe. Hospital? Not likely.

amcalester wrote:
    Nah, just not buying into the idea that every speeding motorist is doing so because of some justifiable emergency such as rushing a child to hospital.

You asked for examples, I suggested bringing an injured child to hospital is an example. There are many other reasons that if stopped by the Guards is not treated as a straight forward gotcha you and you're nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

People need to stop engaging with hitman3000. Every single thread he goes against the concensous. The biggest troll in the history of boards imo, an absolute d**k

eurokev wrote:
    People need to stop engaging with hitman3000. Every single thread he goes against the concensous. The biggest troll in the history of boards imo, an absolute d**k

Reported for personal abuse.

I asked for everyday examples, you gave an extraordinary example which I will agree would likely be an acceptable excuse for speeding.

Still not an everyday occurrence.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote:
    I asked for everyday examples, you gave an extraordinary example which I will agree would likely be an acceptable excuse for speeding.

That is an everyday example, my son is a guard in a town that has a hospital . When on speed checks he often gets the excuse of having to get to the hospital because of an emergency dying granny/sick child etc. You can appeal to a guards better nature but not to a van . I think in certain circumstances speeding can be justified as to whether you get away with it is another matter.

amcalester wrote: »
    That is an everyday example, my son is a guard in a town that has a hospital . When on speed checks he often gets the excuse of having to get to the hospital because of an emergency dying granny/sick child etc. You can appeal to a guards better nature but not to a van . I think in certain circumstances speeding can be justified as to whether you get away with it is another matter.

Not really what I asked for, it may be an everyday example for the emergency services but not for the person(s) speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No. I flash lights at oncoming cars if there are sheep etc or obstructions on the lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,105 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Patww79 wrote: »
    In reality 99.99% of the ***** out there breaking limits have time that's that important.

Do you have facts to back this up ? Any of it ? I have never gone over the speed limit to defy anyone or indeed show any form of arrogance. But 99.99% you say? Can this be reasonably quantified ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,061 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states that you can’t flash your headlights to convey messages to other motorists, with motorists sometimes breaking that rule to tell others of speed cameras ahead.

That's all well and good but the Highway code does not apply to the ROI. We have our own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm sure he gets the excuse very often, but how often do you think it is a real, genuine reason?

Regardless, you absolutely CAN appeal to a van, or to be specific, you can appeal the ticket in Court if you have a good enough reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

I wave my lad out the window at on coming cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I flash my lights at the speed van along with blowing the horn. It's an awful habit I'm after getting into. just can't resist it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I flash them even if there isn't any sign of a speed van around

It’s a good way to make speeders slow down.

Advertisement