Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

be under no illusions this is just another form of tax

Though it's easier to avoid than other forms of tax.
    http://southendnewsnetwork.net/news/driver-reveals-one-simple-trick-to-avoid-speeding-fines-and-penalty-points/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

be under no illusions this is just another form of tax

Why, if only it was possible to somehow avoid paying this 'tax'.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Is it ?
    You're the one jumping in with the explanations, so please keep them coming. That's the purpose of sport mode, to speed up, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

You're the one jumping in with the explanations, so please keep them coming. That's the purpose of sport mode, to speed up, right?

I’m not jumping in with explanations lol
    I told a little story to see who would take the bait and react and nobody did until you today, if you don’t know what sports plus mode is I’m not explaining it to you this is after hours not the education thread
    The sad thing is that the only one laughing at your joke is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hell op you sound paranoid as hell, reading your post its like every driver will be some rapist, or rober :cool: dont see anything wrong with flashing will make driver to slow down, plus given current weather specially in the country ive been flashed a lot in the last few months just to approach someone on horses in the middle of the road or group of cyclists which would presented danger as even back roads allow 80km/h and those who pull out tractors on bends etc or some cyclists who decide to have field day could end quite differently if one isn't warned and drops speed.

its prison mentality as punishment wont do any benefit, education and proper signage would. As i remember there was topic about the speed vans and them being here leased or whatever costing millions each year for fleet less then 20, mad money when it could be spent on installing proper speed signs and warnings specially on rural roads.

• Advertisement

I’m not jumping in with explanations lol
    I told a little story to see who would take the bait and react and nobody did until you today, if you don’t know what sports plus mode is I’m not explaining it to you this is after hours not the education thread

I know well what sports mode is, and I know that it's used for speeding up. Why are you trying to wiggle out of your story?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

As of now the vote is 265 for flashing and 150 against. Where are all these flashers? The number of times I've passed these revenue collecting vans and nobody flashed me!
    I passed one of the vans on on the opposite side of the road this afternoon and flashed every car for approx 4km afterwards. Coming back about a half hour later just ONE lone flasher to alert me! This is a disgraceful failure of motorist solidarity. There should be penalty points given to fcukers who won't flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah yes, the "nothing to hide" brigade.

I having nothing to hide, but what I have I don't want to show to you.

Says you with all your posts deleted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

FunLover18 wrote: »
    You compared people who decry flashing to the people who don't bat an eye lid at asylum seekers having their families torn apart,

That's NOT what you originally said
    you're drawing a direct line between speeding and seeking asylum by suggesting that the reaction of certain people to one is reminiscent of the reactions to the other when the two situations are no where near comparable.

That's illogical tripe.

I was comparing the self-righteousness of people towards the law in different cases. The intention being that a priggishness about adhering to the letter of the law can sometimes be to the detriment of the spirit of the law, whatever that law may be. THAT'S the comparison.
    Also let's not pretend that those you flash are going to stay at/below the limit once they've passed the speed van. A fine and a few points on the licence are far more likely to curb individual speeding in the long run.

Opinion differs on that. See my earlier posts about US and UK traffic police and their policies.

I will continue to flash warnings and will be grateful for those who return the compliment to me.

The knowledge of your apoplexy will only make me happy.

Oh and I quite like driving home after a quiet pint in a nice country bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

The intention being that a priggishness about adhering to the letter of the law can sometimes be to the detriment of the spirit of the law, whatever that law may be.

How? Can you give an example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

While travelling the N68 (Kilrush -Ennis) today I spotted a white no markings whatsoever speed detector van. The only give away was I got a flash from a motorist coming in the opposite direction and, it was just being calibrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

If I'm not sure if some is driving over the speed limit then I'll flash them. If they are clearly over the limit (especially in reduced speed or build up area) I'll let them be...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I love flashing the lights at lads who are speeding towards me...there's no van but it cools their jets.
    Go easy on the roads folks....it's the overtakers that keep the undertakers in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

pgj2015 wrote: »
    over the past two days I have seen a van pull in and do a u turn because he was flashed by other drivers approaching a gosafe van. god knows why he did that, he could have just robbed a house and thought it was a garda check point up ahead.

you don't know who you are flashing, it could be some scumbag who has just robbed a house, someone transporting drugs for sale, someone who has kidnapped a child. some fool who drives way over the speed limit and puts everyones lives in danger.

This paranoia reminds me of an episode in the tragic case of a nurse who was murdered by Malcom McArthur in the Phoenix Park in 1982. He attacked her to steal her car and beat her about the head with a lump hammer so badly that she died.

As he was driving out of the Phoenix Park into rush hour traffic, an ambulance driver saw the car, noticed the car-parking pass for the hospital where the nurse worked, saw the bleeding woman in the back seat and presumed that the driver was a doctor bringing an injured person to hospital. So he put on his lights and sirens and cleared a way through the traffic for the car containing the murderer and his victim.

Ironic and tragic, maybe, but how should another ambulance driver act if he saw a similar scenario? Say: "Wait a minute! This might be a dastardly murder/robbery attempt. Let her stay in the traffic and bleed" or play the percentages and say "Whoever it is needs hospital treatment. Let's do all we can to get them there"

I'd go for option two all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If as a result of flashing other drivers slow down then arent we all contributing to road safety? I think we should get paidfor doing it.
    I do it anyway even if there is no van. Its great to look in the mirror and see the brake lights coming on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Edgware wrote: »
    If as a result of flashing other drivers slow down then arent we all contributing to road safety? I think we should get paidfor doing it.
    I do it anyway even if there is no van. Its great to look in the mirror and see the brake lights coming on

You're not countributong long term though. You're just reinforcing people thinking it's ok to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Patww79 wrote: »
    You're not countributong long term though. You're just reinforcing people thinking it's ok to speed.

Evety little bit helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This paranoia reminds me of an episode in the tragic case of a nurse who was murdered by Malcom McArthur in the Phoenix Park in 1982. He attacked her to steal her car and beat her about the head with a lump hammer so badly that she died.

As he was driving out of the Phoenix Park into rush hour traffic, an ambulance driver saw the car, noticed the car-parking pass for the hospital where the nurse worked, saw the bleeding woman in the back seat and presumed that the driver was a doctor bringing an injured person to hospital. So he put on his lights and sirens and cleared a way through the traffic for the car containing the murderer and his victim.

Ironic and tragic, maybe, but how should another ambulance driver act if he saw a similar scenario? Say: "Wait a minute! This might be a dastardly murder/robbery attempt. Let her stay in the traffic and bleed" or play the percentages and say "Whoever it is needs hospital treatment. Let's do all we can to get them there"

I'd go for option two all the time.

maybe he should have presumed nothing and got out and asked what was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Always, because I’m not a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,105 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I do it, I don’t think there is a right and wrong as in if you do or don’t but I know my mother recently got a fine for 4kmh over on a road with a severe downward incline and just didn’t slow in time. Either way you are assisting people to be aware of their speed and safer by doing so....

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    Always, because I’m not a prick.

You just like helping pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Now I know what Flash for Cash means! :pac::o

You just like helping pricks.

Anyone who goes over the speed limit is a prick so ? Actually by your logic anyone driving full stop is one... Hmmmm some sound logic right there. Anyone who has ever driven a motorized vehicle I’m willing to say has at some point be it intentionally or in error driven over the limit. By getting a warning you are likely to focus on the legal speed and slow down. Same as if you get a ticket just saving you some dosh and the embarrassing chat.

Strumms wrote: »
    Anyone who goes over the speed limit is a prick so ?

Bingo.

Didn't see any point in reading the rest.

Bingo.

Didn't see any point in reading the rest.

Reasoned intelligent arguments and non passive aggressive views such as you have displayed are in high demand ...er nowhere.

Strumms wrote: »
    Reasoned intelligent arguments and non passive aggressive views such as you have displayed are in high demand ...er nowhere.

There's absolutely no call for speeding, none at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Patww79 wrote:

Bet if you were in the back of an ambulance on a stretcher you wouldn't say that.

Who is calling for speeding ? Fact remains that most drivers will admit that they on occasion break the limit, in error, slightly and unintentionally. If they are caught ? So be it. They need to accept and deal with the consequences. Like adults. By the tone and content of your reply there...understanding the essence of what is being discussed could be a bridge too far but thanks for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Never have, never will.

If you're able to break the law without my help you're well able to face the consequences without it too.

Break the law. Where do I even start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What a load of rubbish. There are plenty of justifiable reasons to speed.

Advertisement