Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options
  • 04-07-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans and Garda checkpoints?

I never do, and I think it is about time people stop this practice, over the past two days I have seen a van pull in and do a u turn because he was flashed by other drivers approaching a gosafe van. god knows why he did that, he could have just robbed a house and thought it was a garda check point up ahead.

yesterday I was travelling at 100 kilometers per hour in a 100 kmph zone, two cars passed me out doing 130-145 kmph, only for other drivers coming the other way to flash them to warn them of a go safe van up ahead. they slowed done to 80kmph and once passed they were gone at speed again.

you don't know who you are flashing, it could be some scumbag who has just robbed a house, someone transporting drugs for sale, someone who has kidnapped a child. some fool who drives way over the speed limit and puts everyones lives in danger.

people aren't stupid, they can see what the speed limits are, if they want to break them then let them and let them be caught and given penalty points or banned from the roads.

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans? 377 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 377 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sometimes I do, but honestly seeing the appalling and blatantly dangerous behaviour of others on the road at times makes me question if I should.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

I do but only because they tend to be in purely revenue generating spots. Ie. Where the roads drops from 80 to 50 with no change in road conditions

Been caught myself and wouldn't like it to happen to others.

Can see your point RE: criminals though but in general the vast majority are just people caught out I would presume

• Subscribers Posts: 23 Twat-Badger

Yes I do.

I also pull over into the hard shoulder if there's cars behind me to let them pass. I let other cars out of side turns, zip merge, give cyclists as much room as I can and make sure to thank other motorists who extend similar courtesies to me.

It's called courteous driving. Try it some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never have, never will.

If you're able to break the law without my help you're well able to face the consequences without it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I used to do it for check points ...have stopped now since the regular check point near me stoped a very drunk driver, a driver who had no tax or insurance for nearly 3 years and two lads who had just robbed an 82 year old man.
    As mentioned you just don’t know who you are warning..
    A gosafe van is only good for one thing and that’s speed won’t catch the lads after robbing a house or a lad locked drunk...you need a physical check point for that..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I flash them even if there isn't any sign of a speed van around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yes I do.

I also pull over into the hard shoulder if there's cars behind me to let them pass. I let other cars out of side turns, zip merge, give cyclists as much room as I can and make sure to thank other motorists who extend similar courtesies to me.

I let other cars out of side turns, zip merge, give cyclists as much room as I can the same as you, I must have missed the bit about warning motorists speeding in the book about driver etiquette. Thanks for the tip though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes I do.

What's courteous is obeying the speed limits and not putting yourself and other road users in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I do. I'd rather people slowed down rather than have them continue to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I hope you guys letting traffic out of side roads only do if for those travelling in the same direction as you when you're already in very slow moving traffic. Beckoning is one of the most dangerously irresponsible things so-called courteous drivers do on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Never see them where i drive. If a car flashes headlights here it is for eg sheep on the road and I always warn other drivers of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'll make a quick judgement call. If someone is driving at a crazy speed then no warning. If I think someone might be in danger of tipping along, a little over the limit, I'll warn. Especially if it's in a sneaky spot.

I can't tell the speed of an oncoming car down to the nearest km or anything. But you can spot the lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Yes I do.

Nice to be courteous but if you’re driving in the hard shoulder to let someone pass and a tractor pulls out of a field and hits you in the hard shoulder you are fukd and Johnny tailgaiter will sail past both of ye like he’s floating on a cloud of air.youre not insured if you smash a car in the hard shoulder.
    Let the fukr that’s bet up behind you tailgating learn a bit of manners and either grow some stones and pass you or else back off to a safe distance.pulling in for them gimps only encourages their pr1ckish behavior and endangers yourself and your cars occupants

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I do for camera vans or speed traps on the motorway (Garda cars camped out on the on-ramp so you don't see them until you're past below), but I wouldn't for checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

A go safe van cover's maybe 300 metres or whatever. If you flash that warning covers a greater distance. A greater distance in which cars will slow to legal limit. Which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Yes.

The vast majority of the time I see these flash-for-cash vans they are in spots where you don't see them until its too late.
    That's just revenue generation and not enforcement as advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I do it for the money racket speed vans but would never flash to warn of a checkpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I always warn people of a speed trap or animals or other hazard on the road. Why because I'm sound like that. Someone gets a warning of a speed van hopefully they are grateful in avoiding points and a fine and slow down in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

I sometimes even do it when there's no speed van just to encourage people to drive more safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, why would I?

If there's a hazard on the road like a breakdown or a tree or an animal or something I will, but not for a speed van or a checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

seamus wrote: »
    No, why would I?

To help a brother out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

To help a brother out.

When you have cnuts of 'brothers' speeding up and down with exhausts the size of dustbins outside my house at all fcuking hours I say fcuk em.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Depends on my mood if they look like their doing a little over the limit and I’m feeling generous I might give them a heads up, if it’s a group of lads in a car they prob can’t even afford doing 200 down the motorway, not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When you have cnuts of 'brothers' speeding up and down with exhausts the size of dustbins outside my house at all fcuking hours I say fcuk em.

Whiskey galore does be hating on the boy racers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Only for bikes. I wouldn't flash for a checkpoint but those speed vans are a joke. I find they are always in places that are ment to catch people out rather than enforce a speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's all expressed best through the medium of the Erse:

Tóg é go bog é
    Glac é go réidh
    Tóg é go bog é
    Is ná bí ag troid leat féin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

They're used to be one of those vans religiously parked on the main Street of my hometown,not in my knowledge has anyone ever been knocked down on that street or a serious accident, he quickly fcuked off when a local used to stand a few metres down the road from it holding up a sign warning drivers...no revenue today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Use the code of the border road, and flash your lights at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Yes I do at least locally, because there are some speed vans in spots that are made for generating cash, ie changes in speed with same road conditions on long stretches, partially overgrown signs or long road stretches that don't have a speed limit sign for a really long stretch.
    Not for a checkpoint or anything else though.

• Advertisement

Yes I do. I'm a bad person.

Advertisement