Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, I do, don’t see why anyone wouldn’t if the idea is to stop speeding not generate revenue.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Bingo.

Didn't see any point in reading the rest.

Why do you worship a made up number from the 60’s or earlier. You do realise speed limits were made up by person many decades ago when cars were sh1t. The limits are not suitable for today’s cars and hence only a loser obey them as if they were a commandment from god.

I drive every single day and every single time I drive I break every speed limit as they are all idiotically slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I drive every single day and every single time I drive I break every speed limit as they are all idiotically slow.

neil-degrasse-tyson.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why do you worship a made up number from the 60’s or earlier. You do realise speed limits were made up by person many decades ago when cars were sh1t. The limits are not suitable for today’s cars and hence only a loser obey them as if they were a commandment from god.

Cars may be safer, but the people operating them are certainly more moronic. That and there is a far, far greater volume would suggest that the limits should be kept as is, if not reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

really?

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cars may be safer, but the people operating them are certainly more moronic. That and there is a far, far greater volume would suggest that the limits should be kept as is, if not reduced

Nonsense they should be significantly increased. For instance the motorway limited should be rised to 160kmh at least if not set as unlimited pending weather conditions.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    really?

Really, it’s easy enough every time I leave the house I break the 50kmh limit in the area, then the next limit is 80 I always hit at least 100kmh. I drive a proper powerful car it’s not happy unless it’s being driven as it should be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Nonsense they should be significantly increased. For instance the motorway limited should be rised to 160kmh at least if not set as unlimited pending weather conditions.

Really, it’s easy enough every time I leave the house I break the 50kmh limit in the area, then the next limit is 80 I always hit at least 100kmh. I drive a proper powerful car it’s not happy unless it’s being driven as it should be.

It's only unhappy if you drive at low speeds in high gears.

It's only unhappy if you drive at low speeds in high gears.

On the contrary a powerful car is much much happier in high gears at low speeds than a less powerful one. I can start moving in 3rd gear (I don’t do this regularly) if I want and be in 6th from 60kmh whereas my second car which is diesel car can’t even start off in second, only has 5 gears and has to be in at lest 80 higher really to be in 5th.

Unbelievable on so many fronts. Hence my "really?"

So if child steps out in front of you in the the 50 kmh zone they are more likely to killed or seriously injured than if they step out in front of some one doing the limit or less. Does that not bother you. The simple fact that it will take you longer to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yes I do.

I also pull over into the hard shoulder if there's cars behind me to let them pass. I let other cars out of side turns, zip merge, give cyclists as much room as I can and make sure to thank other motorists who extend similar courtesies to me.

It's called courteous driving. Try it some time.

Pulling over to the hard shoulder to allow a car pass is dangerous. Ill-advised and really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Reading and texting at 160km/hr would be very dangerous, something a large percentage of motorway drivers seem to engage in from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I drive a proper powerful car it’s not happy unless it’s being driven as it should be.
    Your car doesn't have emotions, but it is telling that you seem to blame your car for your personal decision to endanger your family, neighbours and community by speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

To Ash Williams I find drivers who DON'T use the hard shoulder to let other traffic overtake very annoying and dangerous as drivers get edgy over being held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

. I drive a proper powerful car it’s not happy unless it’s being driven as it should be.

Your car sounds like an awful self-entitled wanker tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

Your car sounds like an awful self-entitled wanker tbh.

He has a tiny penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Fieldsman wrote: »
    To Ash Williams I find drivers who DON'T use the hard shoulder to let other traffic overtake very annoying and dangerous as drivers get edgy over being held up.

The hard shoulder is not for driving on.

Reading and texting at 160km/hr would be very dangerous, something a large percentage of motorway drivers seem to engage in from my experience.

quite apart from the fact that it is breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anyone who 'gets edgy over being held up' has no business getting behind the wheel of a car.

That's the driver's fault who get edgy. They really need to work on their emotional issues if that's the case .

They're the type who like to brake test people

• Advertisement

If you're edgy you shouldn't be on the road

Pulling over to the hard shoulder to allow a car pass is dangerous. Ill-advised and really annoying.

Wrong wrong wrong, it’s proper respectful driving. You will notice truck drivers do it all the time as they are very experienced and sensible drivers. I always drive in the hard shoulder when driving slow moving vehicles such as tractors as it’s just the right thing to do rather than holding up loads of cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'll continue sticking to the limits and I'll drive in the hard shoulder for nobody. The more people done for speeding the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Wrong wrong wrong, it’s proper respectful driving. You will notice truck drivers do it all the time as they are very experienced and sensible drivers. I always drive in the hard shoulder when driving slow moving vehicles such as tractors as it’s just the right thing to do rather than holding up loads of cards.

You're wrong. I would never drive in the hard shoulder, unless it was absolutely necessary, because it's far more likely to be covered in debris, glass, screws, nails, etc, and my car's tyres aren't as thick as those of a tractor or a truck. If I'm driving at the limit and someone wants to pass me, it shouldn't be too much to expect them to wait until it's safe to do so. I'll even slow down a bit while they're alongside me, but I'm not getting out of their way.

You don't live in Wexford perchance? It's something that seems very, very common there, despite being wrong really.

If someone can't overtake you without you having to move over, then it's not safe to do so. By doing so, you're not being respectful, you're just re-enforcing that it's okay to drive aggressively, carelessly and obnoxiously. Noone owns the road.

Go ask a cop... Truck drivers are highly educated road users, some limp dick hitting the hard shoulder because they're afraid is dangerous and illegal.

Go ask a cop... Truck drivers are highly educated road users, some limp dick hitting the hard shoulder because they're afraid is dangerous and illegal.

The cops took a very dim view of this fella NOT pulling over........

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/tractor-driver-banned-over-7km-traffic-tailback-1.2177126

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah, that's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I flas the lights when there's no speed van around. It confuses the feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These threads are crap. Because they always drag in the people that pretend they don't ****.

You know the types. The ones that haven't unrinated since they came out of the womb.

Holier than thou and have a horse that's 18 hands high.

Advertisement