Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

So doing 130 in a 120 zone discredits driving capabilities?

Am I threat to all around me?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't speed. I can't really, normally have stuff on the roof and a car packed with kids, dogs and gear. My car isn't designed for speed, more for trundling along rough roads and beaches, but some of the go speed vans positions are unfair.

Spots like 20 metres after a badly marked reduction from 100kph to 80kph with zero danger is cynical and unjust. Flashing some poor fooker in a DHL van or a Tesco delivery van under massive pressure with crap wages is ok.

You can disagree and take the high moral internet ground, that's your right, as disagreeable as it is, it's your right. Fair enough, don't flash them. You're the man with the incredibly long legged horse and the law on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I flash for everything.

I flash for everything.

Ah, the pervert brigade.

Speed limits are silly made up numbers (and made up decades ago when cars were nothing like they are today) that lots of people appear to think are one of the laws of physics and bow down to them like a king.

Many people see that they are mostly a joke, usually far too low for modern cars well able for far in excess of the limits but also sometimes set too fast where a sensible driver would not try to reach them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Speed limits are silly made up numbers (and made up decades ago when cars were nothing like they are today) that lots of people appear to think are one of the laws of physics and bow down to them like a king.

Many people see that they are mostly a joke, usually far too low for modern cars well able for far in excess of the limits but also sometimes set too fast where a sensible driver would not try to reach them.

Surely the point of the limits isn't to restrict drivers from pushing their cars too far, it's to stop drivers pushing their cars to a point where it is harder to control and cuts reaction time and braking distance.

I know where our coming from and you make a good point, but your GTi can comfortably and safely cruise at 140kph on a motorway. It's probably comfortable at that speed... Big brake discs, massive callipers and pads, excellent traction control, serious handling, low profile, high end wet weather tyres, light chasis etc... So can modern diesel 5 and 3 series BMW's and indeed other cars can do it faster and quiet safely.

The problem is, not everyone has them. And people are stupid, if we raised the bar and went for autobahn limits we'd have people in small cars, Defenders, vans, Clio's, high top people carriers etc... (and they're all capable of high speeds.... eventually, they're just not capable of the reactive manoeuvres when things go wrong) flaking along at massive speeds is good for some, but not for others.

Unless we have separate speed limits for various cars which will be impossible to implicate we have to set speed limits for the lower common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I know where our coming from and you make a good point, but your GTi can comfortably and safely cruise at 140kph on a motorway. It's probably comfortable at that speed... Big brake discs, massive callipers and pads, excellent traction control, serious handling, low profile, high end wet weather tyres, light chasis etc... So can modern diesel 5 and 3 series BMW's and indeed other cars can do it faster and quiet safely.

The problem is, not everyone has them. And people are stupid, if we raised the bar and went for autobahn limits we'd have people in small cars, Defenders, vans, Clio's, high top people carriers etc... (and they're all capable of high speeds.... eventually, they're just not capable of the reactive manoeuvres when things go wrong) flaking along at massive speeds is good for some, but not for others.

Unless we have separate speed limits for various cars which will be impossible to implicate we have to set speed limits for the lower common denominator.

Explain how the autobahn works so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

About 2 years ago, while driving home from work, a car pulled out in front of me. After observing his driving for a minute I could tell he was piddled. I knew the man and but I called the Gardai anyway and reported him. Stayed on the phone with them the whole time giving them his location. Straight stretch of road and some prick coming towards us starts flashing his lights. Drunk man does a U-turn on the road. Anyway, when I get around the turn the Guards are pulled over on the side of the road. I tell them he has done a u-turn and they take off after him. He was prosecuted and put off the road for 4 years I think. It wasn't his first time being caught drunk driving. Reported the flasher also but not sure if anything was done about it.
    Fascinating. Thread is about speed vans.
    Not checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

Peatys wrote: »
    Fascinating. Thread is about speed vans.
    Not checkpoints.

This is the heading in the very first post of this thread! "Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans and Garda checkpoints?" Fascinating how you could miss that.

BTW did my post about a drunk driver offend you somehow? Seems like I struck a nerve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This is the heading in the very first post of this thread! "Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans and Garda checkpoints?" Fascinating how you could miss that.
    Hmmm, seems I did indeed miss that
    BTW did my post about a drunk driver offend you somehow? Seems like I struck a nerve!

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Kalyke

To those who say they would not flash, a question. Do you let family or friends know of these checkpoints?

Kalyke wrote: »
    To those who say they would not flash, a question. Do you let family or friends know of these checkpoints?

Wouldn't enter my head that anyone I know, family or friends would have anything to hide from a checkpoint.

Do you mean tax/drink driving checkpoints or guards out with a hairdryer collecting revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Peatys wrote: »

Wouldn't enter my head that anyone I know, family or friends would have anything to hide from a checkpoint.

Do you mean tax/drink driving checkpoints or guards out with a hairdryer collecting revenue?
    Speed vans

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Whatever about flashing you lights

Ladies, I want to know would yiz flash yizzer boobs

Dempsey wrote: »
    Explain how the autobahn works so :rolleyes:

Not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's the adult equivalent of shouting "sketch!" when there's a teacher on the way. If you knowingly fail to warn other drivers, you're essentially no better than a common grass.

^^ this is just childish now.

So if there were no speed cameras, that'd be great because we could bomb along at any speed we wanted to. That'd work wonders for our road traffic fatalities stats. :rolleyes:

John_Rambo wrote: »

The vast majority of cars are perfectly safe and comfortable cruising at 140kmh, my car is at absolute ease at 160 or even 180 on the motorway it was designed for it. Even high top people carriers are perfectly safe and capable of this speed, they all do it on autobhans, it’s not just well sorted cars that drive on them
    it’s mostly your run of the mill cars. It’s rarely you come across something like a defender doing even 120 so I don’t see any reason assume it would make much difference.

The fact is cars were absolute scrap when these limits were set, even a super car from the days the limits were set would be inferior to a micra or Clio today in terms of braking, tyres etc. 100kmh is extremely slow on many of or N roads etc and many roads have 80kmh speed limits for many many kms of road and it would drive you insane sitting at that speed on a road well capable of faster.

• Advertisement

No, it wouldn't even occur to me.

The fact is cars were absolute scrap when these limits were set, even a super car from the days the limits were set would be inferior to a micra or Clio today in terms of braking, tyres etc. 100kmh is extremely slow on many of or N roads etc and many roads have 80kmh speed limits for many many kms of road and it would drive you insane sitting at that speed on a road well capable of faster.

What is so vitally important to the future of this planet that you need to get there maybe 10 mins earlier for?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

I do it for gosafe vans only, if I think the driver is marginally over. These vans are basically revenue generators. A TV programme last year exposed some vans were not even properly calibrated.
    I will not do it for an obvious speeder or a checkpoint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The 2 spots where i see them regularly both are at the point where the speed drops from 80 to 60. The only way to avoid going too fast is dropping the anchor immediately at the 60 sign.
    I will warn if i can because that is just trying to screw people over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That happens a lot

The sneaky locations they choose

Not about safety about maximising revenue

inforfun wrote: »
    The 2 spots where i see them regularly both are at the point where the speed drops from 80 to 60. The only way to avoid going too fast is dropping the anchor immediately at the 60 sign.
    I will warn if i can because that is just trying to screw people over.

Or slow down in advance, you seem to know about the drop so I assume others in the area do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

It gives me more pleasure to see them getting caught.

It should be up to them to obey the speed limit not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've been the passenger of my other half's car for 6 years to learn that if it was me behind the wheel I probably wouldn't flash....

The amount of times I've witnessed cars coming across a speed van and slowing down from the speed limit to an absolute [dangerous] crawl is worrying. The Gárds are not asking you to drive at a graveyard pace, if you're going the limit then grand, stay on it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

Yes I do.  

I also pull over into the hard shoulder if there's cars behind me to let them pass. I let other cars out of side turns, zip merge, give cyclists as much room as I can and make sure to thank other motorists who extend similar courtesies to me.  

It's called courteous driving.  Try it some time.

Nice to be courteous but if you’re driving in the hard shoulder to let someone pass and a tractor pulls out of a field and hits you in the hard shoulder you are fukd and Johnny tailgaiter will sail past both of ye like he’s floating on a cloud of air.youre not insured if you smash a car in the hard shoulder.
    Let the fukr that’s bet up behind you tailgating learn a bit of manners and either grow some stones and pass you or else back off to a safe distance.pulling in for them gimps only encourages their pr1ckish behavior and endangers yourself and your cars occupants

I find that when someone tail gates me I tend to jam on the breaks and go even slower to wind them up. I drive a 1 litre car so when a 2 litre bmw or audi jumps up behind me I wont be thrown by their bully boy tactics. Slow and steady wins the race!

• Advertisement

fuzzyduck4 wrote: »
    I find that when someone tail gates me I tend to jam on the breaks and go even slower to wind them up. I drive a 1 litre car so when a 2 litre bmw or audi jumps up behind me I wont be thrown by their bully boy tactics. Slow and steady wins the race!

That just makes an already aggressive tool even more wound-up and dangerous, it's not up to you to teach lessons about driving to anyone.

Advertisement