Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

First totally overcast morning here in a few weeks and a lot colder 15c ..heavy cloud cover with a light breeze.. kildare/Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

sunny as always in North Cork :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another cloudy and cool morning here. Not sure we will see much if any sun today either.

Met Eireann seems to be backing off on yesterday's settled forecast for next week with lower temperatures and mentioning the Atlantic regime resuming next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

if syranbruen and meteorite58 meet up, whats the topic of conversation? :)
    ye guys and others are providing fascinating coverage and details for the lay person, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm sure quite a few of us forum members would love a 1to1 with them and a few others like MT, Graces and who remembers the young lad in the North who loved his snow?All above board of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Gonzo wrote: »
    another cloudy and cool morning here. Not sure we will see much if any sun today either.

Met Eireann seems to be backing off on yesterday's settled forecast for next week with lower temperatures and mentioning the Atlantic regime resuming next week.
    Looking like the west and north will see the most of any rain next week ,east and south may have to wait till next weekend for any substantial rain fall

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ZX7R wrote: »
    Looking like the west and north will see the most of any rain next week ,east and south may have to wait till next weekend for any substantial rain fall

just looking at this mornings UK Met weekend forecast and yep not a lot of rain in the south and east, but it does look like were mostly in for a cloudy few days with very little sun and temperatures low 20's at best in most places, maybe mid 20's if there is any decent sunny breaks.

Ireland in general looks to be missing out on the sunshine/thunderstorms and high temperatures that the UK mainland is going to enjoy over the next 4 to 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yep, still looking very dry in the south eastern corner but normal service resuming everywhere else.

Rain for the next 7 days

us_model_en_318_4_modez_2018071200_162_949_157.png

Still looking fairly warm up to Sunday but the heatwave definitely on its dying breath

Yep, still looking very dry in the south eastern corner but normal service resuming everywhere else.

Still looking fairly warm up to Sunday but the heatwave definitely on its dying breath

Feels like normal service has already resumed here with the cool, slightly drizzely and cloudy conditions since yesterday morning.

Today feels even cooler than yesterday. Many locals already back wearing light jumpers, long trousers/jeans and some older people with light jackets on.

Met Eireann's temperatures showing mostly mid to high teens across the country currently with only the far south holding onto warmth.

Currently 17C at my location, parts of the west and north are only 14C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Last 3 days have been great here in West Clare, lovely and warm but not oppressive like the 30c weather where I found myself running from shelter to shelter (was fine when by the beach though). Considering the forecasts I'm surprised at the fact that we've actually gotten this nice weather here.

• Advertisement

temperatures look like they may recover slightly from tomorrow with low to mid 20's possible away from western and northern coasts on Saturday. Cooler again from Sunday but low 20's still possible at times next week during spells of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Doesn't look like I'm going to even hit 20 today.

Max 19.6 around 1220

Overcast 18.8/64%/1025

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Still in the 20's down here, 22c at Moore Park and 21c in Cork airport. Was warmer earlier but more cloudy now. Must be 20 days at this stage of 20c+ everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford brooks no change in the weather - early 20s here under blazing mainly clear skies.

yesterday was first day in a long time not to at least hit 21C with only 19C being yesterday's high at my location. Today we have struggled to even hit 18C which is just about average for this time of year, and like yesterday not even a hint of sunshine.

I am hoping to reach 20C from tomorrow to Sunday, but that will very much depend on how much sunshine we get.

It goes without saying that I am already really missing the blue skies and warm temperatures. The complete lack of sun over the past two days is probably more annoying than the actual temperature.

Hit 25 again today in north cork

24 at present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

High of 19.1C here in Glasnevin today. 18.8C now. Beginning to miss the clear skies here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No longer in heatwave conditions here in Kilkenny, the city got to 20.3C, my locations about 6 miles away got to 18.4C, a drop of around 7C for my location which has been cloudy all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RobertKK wrote: »
    No longer in heatwave conditions here in Kilkenny, the city got to 20.3C, my locations about 6 miles away got to 18.4C, a drop of around 7C for my location which has been cloudy all day.

It's gas that people are wrapping up in 18 to 20c temps when normally in Ireland it's beach weather. We've become used to the heat, speaking of heat,the sun has just reappeared here in Wexford.

• Advertisement

On radio today about how badly people are affected by the heat , old people in particular

People are irritable , can’t sleep , dehydrated etc . It’s not fun for a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

apparently you need to drop your core body temperature when going to sleep, so its going to be difficult in this type of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max synop today 22.9 at Cork Airport. Roche's Point and Shannon both 22.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

On radio today about how badly people are affected by the heat , old people in particular

People are irritable , can’t sleep , dehydrated etc . It’s not fun for a lot of people

Old people are never happy,too hot or too cold.
    One old lady in particular was moaning about the heat recently when it was at it's hottest,the person ahead of her turned and told her to take off some of the 4 layers of clothes she was wearing.
    How the fook can people get dehydrated when every second person you meet is carrying a bottle of water.
    At night, don't just open one window, open several to get the air flowing through the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It's gas that people are wrapping up in 18 to 20c temps when normally in Ireland it's beach weather. We've become used to the heat, speaking of heat,the sun has just reappeared here in Wexford.

I found it nice, it was like someone turned on air conditioning outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Still 21C in Roches Point at 9pm, it seems like Cork must be close to having the highest daily mean temperature during this spell. We really haven't had a bad day in weeks.

Just checked Met.ie, sure enough Roches Point and Oak Park tied for highest mean temp for July so far 18.8C. Cork Airport and Moore Park just behind on 18.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Roches point highest so far? That’s so strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Roches point highest so far? That’s so strange

It's not really, Cork has consistently done well from this settled spell, and being right next to the sea the temperature variance in Roches Point won't be as high i.e. the max will be less than the likes of Moore Park but the mins will typically be higher too. 18.8C is 3.1C higher than any monthly mean for the station in the last 4 years but that will surely fall in the next couple of weeks as temperatures ease back to average.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's raining quite heavily at Grange now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's raining quite heavily at Grange now.

If it's falling at the rate shown in the video, then it's fairly light.....moderate at a push but then again it's been so dry that any bit of rain seems like a lot!

Interestingly, the rain falling in your area is not showing up on the radar. Although it's far from heavy, you would expect it be visible on radar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement