Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

highdef wrote: »
    but then again it's been so dry that any bit of rain seems like a lot!

You'd be right with that assumption :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's raining quite heavily at Grange now.

If anyone sees you out filming the rain they will have you locked up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Roches point highest so far? That’s so strange

It's not really, Cork has consistently done well from this settled spell, and being right next to the sea the temperature variance in Roches Point won't be as high i.e. the max will be less than the likes of Moore Park but the mins will typically be higher too. 18.8C is 3.1C higher than any monthly mean for the station in the last 4 years but that will surely fall in the next couple of weeks as temperatures ease back to average.

You’d expect being by the sea would still lead to a lower overall temp though.

Dublin airport is close to the coast and it’s the third coldest location so far in July! (Though PP just a few KMs away is over a degree warmer).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,265 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is mad, gone from a half inch or inch in a day to looking at Met Eireann and seeing 1.1 mm expected to fall and getting excited.

I reseeded one of my wetter fields last May and there are cracks in the ground 9 inches deep today, nearly a half inch wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Old people are never happy,too hot or too cold.
    One old lady in particular was moaning about the heat recently when it was at it's hottest,the person ahead of her turned and told her to take off some of the 4 layers of clothes she was wearing.
    How the fook can people get dehydrated when every second person you meet is carrying a bottle of water.
    At night, don't just open one window, open several to get the air flowing through the house.

Not kind or correct; maybe the weather is making you irritable.. Our bodies react differently in old age. Heat causes real suffering, and so does cold. Same as babies..The last weeks have been torture. Be kind, please.. Thank you!
    Some of us only have one window. by the way :rolleyes:.

West Mayo; offshore island
    Quiet and cool here. Very still, cloudy and again the birds are totally silent..met.ie keep changing the goalposts re rain.. grrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

On radio today about how badly people are affected by the heat , old people in particular

People are irritable , can’t sleep , dehydrated etc . It’s not fun for a lot of people

Amen to that. We get prickly heat rash too.. :rolleyes: Old folk adapt less easily and fully to extremes of temp and humidity .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's raining quite heavily at Grange now.

I'd love to know where this shower came from! did it blow in off the Irish Sea or was it trigger by uplift with the Wicklow Mts? Wasn't really promised if I remember yesterday's forecast correctly.

New Moon

Decidedly.... manky ..out there. Oppressive as if a storm is brewing,, midgey, no birdsong.. Heavy cloud and airless..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not kind or correct; maybe the weather is making you irritable.. Our bodies react differently in old age. Heat causes real suffering, and so does cold. Same as babies..The last weeks have been torture. Be kind, please.. Thank you!
    Some of us only have one window. by the way :rolleyes:.

Quiet and cool here. Very still, cloudy and again the birds are totally silent..met.ie keep changing the goalposts re rain.. grrrrrrrrr

I wasn't giving out about you, I like your posts here and fair play to you. Many of your generation wouldn't even read stuff online,let alone contribute.
    My point was that quite a few wrap up as if it was -4c outside no matter the time of year. No point in complaints if a person has more layers than an onion when it's nearly 30c. My missus drives me mad in this weather,if we are going anywhere she'll want to bring hoodies, cardigans etc. "In case it gets cool". The coolest it's gotten is about 17c in the middle of the night.
    Saying that,I spotted a young woman down my way the other day in a big coat and jeans,it was touching 26c.

I wasn't giving out about you, I like your posts here and fair play to you. Many of your generation wouldn't even read stuff online,let alone contribute.
    My point was that quite a few wrap up as if it was -4c outside no matter the time of year. No point in complaints if a person has more layers than an onion when it's nearly 30c. My missus drives me mad in this weather,if we are going anywhere she'll want to bring hoodies, cardigans etc. "In case it gets cool". The coolest it's gotten is about 17c in the middle of the night.
    Saying that,I spotted a young woman down my way the other day in a big coat and jeans,it was touching 26c.

I know it wasn;t re me.. just I defend us older ones!

We are not in tune with how to deal with this weather. Thankfully...old habits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

Decidedly.... manky ..out there. Oppressive as if a storm is brewing,, midgey, no birdsong.. Heavy cloud and airless..

Now that you mention it I've just realised there is no bird song. You are spot on Grace. We have to invest in a little bath for them, one thing we haven't done since we moved house. They normal take a drink and a wash in the gutters outside, but of course there has been no rain for them to do that.

Matching weather here in lake county. Dull and grey, dead air for a want of better words. I'm just short of doing a rain dance at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Back home tomorrow night after a break in south of spain, glorious weather here, clear sky, warm/hot sun with a grand breeze, could get used to this weather and way of life very very easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Back home tomorrow night after a break in south of spain, glorious weather here, clear sky, warm/hot sun with a grand breeze, could get used to this weather and way of life very very easily.

The blue skies and high temperatures you enjoyed before going to Spain look to be over for now so make the most of your last 24 hours of hot Spanish sunshine! The sun hasn't shined here in Meath since Tuesday and temps back in the mid to high teens for several days now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Be prepared for a shock as normal Irish summer weather has or soon will be returning for most areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I would prefer it to stay sunny till September, but I cannot wait to smell the rain when it does happen. Last significant rainfall was 22nd May, so almost 2 months now.

Verity. wrote: »
    Now that you mention it I've just realised there is no bird song. You are spot on Grace. We have to invest in a little bath for them, one thing we haven't done since we moved house. They normal take a drink and a wash in the gutters outside, but of course there has been no rain for them to do that.

Matching weather here in lake county. Dull and grey, dead air for a want of better words. I'm just short of doing a rain dance at this stage.

Been two days since I heard a chirp..

Exactly the same weather as here.. Oh the sun is coming out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    The blue skies and high temperatures you enjoyed before going to Spain look to be over for now so make the most of your last 24 hours of hot Spanish sunshine! The sun hasn't shined here in Meath since Tuesday and temps back in the mid to high teens for several days now.

Ah i'll be grand, as long as its dry and i can get out about its alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Heatwave gone but sunny and fine Weather continuing in Waterford, beautiful 22c this evening. Unbelievable spell of weather really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Funny day in the Deise, started very muggy and quite overcast but no sunny skies and "fresher".

According to Micks site the temp has breached 20c everyday since June 23rd June - only 8 days less than 20 since start of June - mainly in that overcast spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Dull overcast day here in kildare temps hovering around 19c ..this evening the sun appeared and temps currently 21c and it’s a very Pleasant evening ..still no rain here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

19C was today's high here at Dunshaughlin, and another totally grey and overcast day. Not a hint of sunshine in 4 days. I am hoping for a few glimpses of sunshine tomorrow. Sunday is looking mostly cool, damp and drizzly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Very hot in Cork city at the moment..sun out and black clouds gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can hear a nice few birds chirping here at the moment, no crows thank god!

Gone very brown in my part of West Clare, however places like Kilkee are looking a little less dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Dry , sunny and 24 degrees yet again in north cork

I for one also find that heat affects sleep a lot. I have had to sleep downstairs for last few weeks cos the upstairs can be like a furnace

I have often felt that feeling of struggling to sleep and then around 1ami drift off as I cool down and in only 40 :-)

People with Alzheimer’s are particularly badly affected as they get irritated and can’t ecplsin why

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

I’m the space of a few minutes it went from completely clouded over, to clear blue sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same here, fairly bizarre. Dull and dreary all day and just looked out the window to find that there's not a cloud in the sky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Verity. wrote: »

Been two days since I heard a chirp..

Exactly the same weather as here.. Oh the sun is coming out ...

To be fair the birds always stop singing around now. The breeding season is coming to an end so they go silent in relative terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Strange evening, clear skies but rumbling thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max synops today.

23.8 - Shannon
    23.0 - Gurteen
    22.4 - Oak Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Down by the banks the Slaney,a cloudless, beautiful evening,a view that many would pay a lot of money to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement