Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I imagine the majority of viewers don't give a f*ck about his accent and find him insightful and entertaining, I'd take Kerr over someone speaks with perfect diction but says nothing of interest, and I'm a bogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What exactly is wrong with his accent anyway?

And he speaks very well without verbal ticks, ums, ahs, likes, ye knows etc that for me make someone unlistenable..

I don't get the issue personally

The most important thing is that he's knowledgeable and not full of trite bullsh!t footballing cliches.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,216 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I imagine the majority of viewers don't give a f*ck about his accent and find him insightful and entertaining, I'd take Kerr over someone speaks with perfect diction but says nothing of interest.

Aah no,mate terrible stuff,the guy is just off the planet in diction.

Surely RTE can do better.

For fohhrks sake stop calling it "de Gay-Am"

C'mon.

Aah no,mate terrible stuff,the guy is just off the planet in diction.

Surely RTE can do better.

For fohhrks sake stop calling it "de Gay-Am"

C'mon.

Bet you'd prefer some English lad.. not to worry though, loads of them on BBC/ITV.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What exactly is wrong with his accent anyway?

And he speaks very well without verbal ticks, ums, ahs, likes, ye knows etc that for me make someone unlistenable..

I don't get the issue personally

He can't make head nor tail out of the letter 't'

You can't be respected on national television with that kind of diction,law.

It's disgraceful .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Love seeing all the culchies and boggers lose their mind over Kerr. He's a football genius.

I'm a culchie and I love Kerr.

People who can't get past his accent don't deserve him in my opinion.

I barely even notice his accent. His knowledge of football is outstanding, his commentary is unbiased and entertaining and he seems to genuinely love the game. As a result, I genuinely love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

I find casual fans don't really like the likes of Sadlier, Kerr, Andrews but if you have more than a passing interest in football(don't just like it when UNIRA or POOL are playing) you'll like them.

It's disgraceful .

I don't get your issue personally. But if you're that bothered, as I said there are other media options available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Give me a genuine off the cuff character who occasionally mangles de language... rather than a polished media trained robot who seems to be reading from a script and hasnt an original thought in their head.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't get your issue personally. But if you're that bothered, as I said there are other media options available to you.

I have no interest whether you get my "issue" or not.

I am just stating facts, and inputting my views as the thread is about.

I have no issue, just can't stand a guy saying "stops ih wir his feeh"

That's all.

• Advertisement

I have no interest whether you get my "issue" or not.

I am just stating facts, and inputting my views as the thread is about.

I have no issue, just can't stand a guy saying "stops ih wir his feeh"

That's all.

Facts?

Facts?

Just quoted the guy,law.

What more facts do you want.

See these guys ". "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I, for one, loved the sound of pure disdain in Kerr's voice as he talked about Uruguay's progress thanks to "tew one nuthin's."

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Just showed George and Ronnie on their way to the kazan arena there. There must be a camera man with them too I presume, or did they get some Russian to walk alongside em with George's mobile phone... "here buddy take a picture of us there"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Inarticulacy has never proved to be an obstacle on the pathway to becoming an RTE sporting presenter or pundit. A certain Mr. John Giles could attest to that. Neither does it appear to be a hinderance in the areas of news, current affairs and light entertainment.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Inarticulacy has never proved to be an obstacle on the pathway to becoming an RTE sporting presenter or pundit. A certain Mr. John Giles could attest to that. Neither does it appear to be a hinderance in the areas of news, current affairs and light entertainment.

That’s the point I am trying to make,Chic.

As a license payer I reserve the right to highlight this.

Now, little slips can be tolerated like using ‘left’ instead of ‘let’ so beloved by those South of line 54.

However driving a coach and four through the language is worthy of comment,getting paid fuhhrikig well to do it is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

bmm wrote: »
    Considering it's on the BBC/ITV was it worth the expense for RTE . RTE moan about being broke so often.
    RTE also spend their time persecuting holiday home owners and small business owners to pay for a second rip-off licence. RTE also enjoy bringing poor families to court for not paying the TV licence and then they waste a fortune covering a tournament that is already watchable by every person in Ireland on the BBC/ITV for free thru a satellite dish!!

Nice experience for the RTE staff that get to travel around Russia and cover the tournament. ;-) And at the end of the day, public services are all about the staff ! Fcuk the service you are supposed to be providing!
    Rant over ;-)
    RTE are stuck in 1978 !

RTE are doing a great job imo. If this is 1978 then I like it.

ps. The BBC that you are glorifying go after licence fee dodgers too :eek:

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Who are the constant ads for that f*ckin Shirley Bassey thing aimed at? It's on every single ad break.

How many people who love the World Cup enough to sit through Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia are also likely to go "Ooh, Shirley Bassey and David Walliams. F*ck I better not forget that's on?"

Ditto for Mrs Browns Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Imagine Kerr trying to coach a group of Faoerse fishermen with that accent. Half the team's budget must of went on translators.

Did some job up there in fairness, think he won three competive games in his time in charge.

I always felt he was given the boot too soon from the Ireland job, he could have done with some of his supporters back then. Dumped him for Stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Dumped for Stan.

F*ck off Delaney you spanner.

Imagine Kerr trying to coach a group of Faoerse fishermen with that accent. Half the team's budget must of went on translators.

Did some job up there in fairness, think he won three competive games in his time in charge.

I always felt he was given the boot too soon from the Ireland job, he could have done with some of his supporters back then. Dumped him for Stan.

Ronnie Whelan?

Is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That was a strange qualifying campaign, first half we got away draws in France, Israel & Switzerland. 2-0 up at home to Israel after 11 minutes and we're halfway to the World Cup, then Robbie Keane went off injured and I think BK messed up the substitution tactically and handed the initiative to Israel.
    We ended up drawing a match 2-2 we should have won, then lost at home to France and couldn't beat Switzerland at home either. Finished 4th when we should have nabbed at least a playoff spot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

At the time it was terrible because Ireland were genuinely as good as Switzerland if not better. We had put ourselves in a good position with our seeding and really ought to have made it to Germany 06. I'll never forget the Switzerland game, didn't a ball fizz past the 6 yard box with the last kick but nobody could get onto it. A touch and we would have been in Germany. I think that's the night I lost my enthusiasm for Ireland. Later qualifications never meant as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It's disgraceful .

BK is head and shoulders above all of the other analysts/commentators for football knowledge.

Couldn’t care less about his accent.

No doubt you have no problem with a strong cockney or Geordie accent.

You should respect the likes of BK not attempt to run him down.

I would bet he has forgotten more about football than the likes of you or I will ever know.

BK is head and shoulders above all of the other analysts/commentators for football knowledge.

Couldn’t care less about his accent.

No doubt you have no problem with a strong cockney or Geordie accent.

You should respect the likes of BK not attempt to run him down.

I would bet he has forgotten more about football than the likes of you or I will ever know.

Steady on now,my friend, let’s not start personal abuse.

It’s only in the group stages right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Steady on now,my friend, let’s not start personal abuse.

It’s only in the group stages right now.

Eh what? Abuse? Jasus you are easily offended

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Loved hearing Sadlier say "jesus christ" tonight when eamo wad allowed to go off on the strangest tangent ever to rip into mourinho for 5mind. F all to do with the wc or the game we had just watched
    I'd say Sadlier thinks Eamo is a dose, and there is definite tension between them at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

NIMAN wrote: »
    Loved hearing Sadlier say "jesus christ" tonight when eamo wad allowed to go off on the strangest tangent ever to rip into mourinho for 5mind. F all to do with the wc or the game we had just watched
    I'd say Sadlier thinks Eamo is a dose, and there is definite tension between them at times.

Always thought that was like a father and son

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought Darragh was the main man now, why's he doing the graveyard shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Thought Darragh was the main man now, why's he doing the graveyard shift.

Was wondering why Peter had the Spain game earlier.

Do they record the intros for the highlights show in the morning? I think I noticed Jacqui Hurley doing the early game and then the highlights the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Has Hope Solo made an appearance yet? Possibly the RTE deal was scrapped?

Advertisement