Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No-one commenting on Barry, Risteard and Gary taking over the studio for coverage of the third-place match?

What is there to comment on really? More of what they usually do in Apres Match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

What is there to comment on really? More of what they usually do in Apres Match.

Yes indeed - what is there to really comment on besides the fact that they're there.

I've largely excused myself from this thread for the last three weeks, as things had become a little too heated for my liking - but now that the tournament's nearly over and things seem to be calming down again, I may as well say the following two things:

(1) Adrian Eames isn't the greatest soccer commentator in the world, is he? Hams it up a bit, I think. Mind you, it's likely that he'll take over as RTE's main soccer commentator when George Hamilton retires.

(2) Will Hope be on the panel tomorrow? If not, then unless I'm mistaken that means she'll have been on it for just *one* day - and not alongside Eamo and Brady, either. Yes, Picard facepalm time again... :o :rolleyes: ;)

picard_ashamed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ain't got no beef with Adrian Eames. Does a grand job.

I think Hope Solo was on for two games, but on different days. Two days in a row, like. But I might be wrong.

To be completey honest, I paid very little attention to the panel, whoever was on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hope was only on for Brazil/Mexico and Switzerland/Sweden, they mentioned they had Friedel pre-2014 and he only appeared on two Second Round games as well, pity she didn't go head to head with Dunphy that would have been fun.

According to Saorview the panel for tomorrow is Hamann, Brady and Dunphy, don't think that's particularly surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They have Darragh introducing the 3rd place play off highlights, should have done it with the Apres Match version.

So this World Cup was the final act of Eamo's RTE career.

I guess we'll never know exactly what he and Hope would have made of each other. Thanks a lot for having her on for just two matches, RTE... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I guess we'll never know exactly what he and Hope would have made of each other. Thanks a lot for having her on for just two matches, RTE... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As long as they don’t appoint Kerr to replace ...sorry Eamo speak ..reee place him. I’m happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

How do you know this was an RTE restriction? She lives in the States. Maybe she didn't fancy living in Dublin on her own for a month. She probably got an elevated rate for working for a couple of days in exchange for being part of RTE's marketing of the tournament. Seems like a win win to me.

What exactly about Solo was such that this was such a big loss to the viewing public, particularly this baseless assumption/curiosity about the dynamic between her and Eamo? She was fairly mediocre in what she did offer.

ligerdub wrote: »
    How do you know this was an RTE restriction? She lives in the States. Maybe she didn't fancy living in Dublin on her own for a month. She probably got an elevated rate for working for a couple of days in exchange for being part of RTE's marketing of the tournament. Seems like a win win to me.

What exactly about Solo was such that this was such a big loss to the viewing public, particularly this baseless assumption/curiosity about the dynamic between her and Eamo? She was fairly mediocre in what she did offer.

Eh…………… right:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

It certainly wasn't a restriction *entirely* of RTE's making - but, IMO, they still could have had her on for more matches during the time she was here.

And the two matches she *was* on for weren't the biggest matches of the tournament - even the first one with Brazil. Both were won in 90 minutes as well.

People wanted her and Eamo on the same panel mainly because of her own outspoken personality - and her run-ins with the law. They probably also wanted the two together because, well, how many times has Eamo had a woman alongside him when analysing a soccer match?

If I had been making all the decisions at RTE, I wouldn't have promoted Hope *at all* before the tournament began - I would have said something like "Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Damien Duff, Kevin Doyle, Shay Given etc will be offering analysis along with one or two surprise pundits". Then, when the round of 16 began, I would have revealed Hope as one of these "surprise" pundits - and, of course, I would have had her alongside Eamo and Brady for at least one match.

But que sera sera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

As long as they don’t appoint Kerr to replace ...sorry Eamo speak ..reee place him. I’m happy.

Not a hope of Kerr being promoted after his dismal performance as commentator.

Stranger things have happened... ;)

Lot of lads on here seem to think he was ace ,Paddy.

Maybe it’s the auld Dub attitude, we’ll back the Dub against anyone no matter how dismal they are, think Bertie, Mr Hockey, Mc Gregor, and such.

Can’t think of anything else Paddy, just a constant whine ....

It certainly wasn't a restriction *entirely* of RTE's making - but, IMO, they still could have had her on for more matches during the time she was here

And the two matches she *was* on for weren't the biggest matches of the tournament - even the first one with Brazil. Both were won in 90 minutes as well.

People wanted her and Eamo on the same panel mainly because of her own outspoken personality - and her run-ins with the law. They probably also wanted the two together because, well, how many times has Eamo had a woman alongside him when analysing a soccer match?

You're making it sound like this was a huge deal for RTE getting her on, it wasn't. She was pretty much a curious look novelty.

Again, unless you know she was pushing for more RTE airtime then your point is entirely hollow. This isn't her part of the world, and it's massively inconvenient for her and everyone to have her on more significantly than what she was on for.

Let's say she was on for the whole month. Does she go home between games? Who pays for that, why would she bother going back and forth? RTE have a big panel of reasonably locally available people, this leaves large gaps between when you're going to work. The locals or UK based guys can fly in and out as they please and it's no big deal, they may even have friends and other interests here. Solo as far as I know has none of those things. It sounds to me to be fairly unenjoyable to come over for an extended period, work every few days and then fill the time the rest of the time.

She was on a Brazil game? Correct me on this, but Brazil playing anyone in a world cup match is a big one! Hardly RTEs fault it didn't go to extra time. We don't even know how much she was getting, RTE might have shelled out a whole load of cash on her.

She didn't say anything particularly controversial either, plus its not like Eamo hasn't been on televised debates with women. He hasn't shared too many football panels with women, much like everybody else then! She came over, did a couple of days, then went home. She's happy, RTE are happy. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

???? What. You must be joking. Hands down best commentator on Rte during the world cup in Russia. Massive chip on your shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Maybe it’s the auld Dub attitude, we’ll back the Dub against anyone no matter how dismal they are, think Bertie, Mr Hockey, Mc Gregor, and such.

Would that be any different to other counties/provinces or countries for that matter? Please don't forget that Mc Gregor is the best MMA fighter we've ever produced,as was Sonia Sullivan our best long distance female runner. I believe she was backed by all and loved by more. Can't say the former deserves that much but don't deny his talents.

Kerr is a shining example to the people of Dublin that you shouldn't be afraid to speak the dialect you grew up with. This ol BBC ignoramus mentality exists for anyone from the pale. Sickening.

I thought he was far more knowledgeable than the rest of them

Oh and Bertie? What about the healy-raes following...or a lot worse than that the Flynns

You're making it sound like this was a huge deal for RTE getting her on, it wasn't. She was pretty much a curious look novelty.

Unless I was in another world, there was *some* hype when she was announced as a pundit.

Obviously, nowhere near as much hype as there would have been if someone like Paul Gascoigne had been announced - but there was some hype nonetheless.

Again, unless you know she was pushing for more RTE airtime then your point is entirely hollow. This isn't her part of the world, and it's massively inconvenient for her and everyone to have her on more significantly than what she was on for.

I'm well aware this isn't her part of the world (mind you, this isn't necessarily Didi Hamann's part of the world either, although he doesn't have as far to travel as she did).

And why would I even think that she was pushing for more airtime? Although she is something of a loose cannon, and I feel that RTE should have made more use of her while she was there, I actually *don't* see why she would be unhappy with the amount of airtime she *did* get. And it's certainly true that she was never going to get as much airtime as Eamo, Brady and some of the other homegrown pundits, even if she had been on for the whole month.

She was on a Brazil game? Correct me on this, but Brazil playing anyone in a world cup match is a big one! Hardly RTEs fault it didn't go to extra time.

In this part of the world, Brazil playing Mexico at the WC isn't *quite* as big as them playing England, France, Germany or even Argentina, is it? (Mexico did beat the Germans, of course, but disappointed after that.)

Obviously, no broadcaster in the world can be blamed for Brazil winning 2-0 inside 90 minutes. And no broadcaster in the world can be blamed for Neymar's theatrics during the match, either.

We don't even know how much she was getting, RTE might have shelled out a whole load of cash on her.

I'd be very, very surprised if she came free.

She didn't say anything particularly controversial either, plus its not like Eamo hasn't been on televised debates with women. He hasn't shared too many football panels with women, much like everybody else then!

She didn't say anything particularly controversial because the chance didn't come for her to do so.

Eamo has of course been on televised debates with women... but I honestly can't say I've seen him share a soccer panel with one (no sexism intended). And I definitely haven't seen him on a football panel - although the thought of him sharing one with Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly is quite appealing. :D:D:D

(Don't take that personally, BTW. :))

She came over, did a couple of days, then went home. She's happy, RTE are happy. No problem.

No question that she and RTE are happy - but one or two viewers *do* feel a bit short-changed.

No question, either, that most people will have forgotten all about it by the time Qatar 2022 comes round. RTE will probably hire another American pundit for a day or two of that tournament, and that pundit will also go home happy - regardless how much hype there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

We all know Duffer and Sadlier will be the ones flanking Brady from now on. Sadlier because he is the hipster analyst when he burst onto the scene. Spends half the time looking up at the ceiling while trying to speak. He reminds me of when you're trying to speak to a foreigner who doesn't speak english and you need to say things in the simplest way possible.

And duff will be on the panel because he played football at a high level and Eamon and Brady sucked up to him the whole time he was there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH, I didn't follow the World Cup, but just from a general sports-news point of view, there definitely was a lot made by RTE on the presence of Hope Solo on their broader team. It was headline news, and pretty prominent in the station's own press releases from what I recall.

I'd say that was the easiest paycheque Solo ever earned if she only turned up for 2 broadcasts; flights and accommodation paid for, and a small jaunt over to Europe. I'm sure she didn't come cheap - RTE don't seem the canny type.

Unless I was in another world, there was *some* hype when she was announced as a pundit.

Obviously, nowhere near as much hype as there would have been if someone like Paul Gascoigne had been announced - but there was some hype nonetheless.

I'm well aware this isn't her part of the world (mind you, this isn't necessarily Didi Hamann's part of the world either, although he doesn't have as far to travel as she did).

And why would I even think that she was pushing for more airtime? Although she is something of a loose cannon, and I feel that RTE should have made more use of her while she was there, I actually *don't* see why she would be unhappy with the amount of airtime she *did* get. And it's certainly true that she was never going to get as much airtime as Eamo, Brady and some of the other homegrown pundits, even if she had been on for the whole month.

In this part of the world, Brazil playing Mexico at the WC isn't *quite* as big as them playing England, France, Germany or even Argentina, is it? (Mexico did beat the Germans, of course, but disappointed after that.)

Obviously, no broadcaster in the world can be blamed for Brazil winning 2-0 inside 90 minutes. And no broadcaster in the world can be blamed for Neymar's theatrics during the match, either.

I'd be very, very surprised if she came free.

She didn't say anything particularly controversial because the chance didn't come for her to do so.

Eamo has of course been on televised debates with women... but I honestly can't say I've seen him share a soccer panel with one (no sexism intended). And I definitely haven't seen him on a football panel - although the thought of him sharing one with Pat Spillane and Joe Brolly is quite appealing. :D:D:D

(Don't take that personally, BTW. :))

No question that she and RTE are happy - but one or two viewers *do* feel a bit short-changed.

No question, either, that most people will have forgotten all about it by the time Qatar 2022 comes round. RTE will probably hire another American pundit for a day or two of that tournament, and that pundit will also go home happy - regardless how much hype there is.

Your use of asterixes (asterices?) hurts my head....*my head*.

There was indeed some fanfare, but on the basis of RTE's favourite pastime these days, promoting the hell out of the fact they they are promoting the sisterhood. RTE being essentially a feminist propaganda outlet these days.

We're not talking about a huge former star of the game in the mould of a Pele or Maradona, or even a Roy Keane. She was a photogenic (and very successful) player who had a high profile in the States, but that's about it. It's also not like she is a particularly engaging person, putting that real insight into the game (there aren't many of these around anyway). Her key selling points seem to be that she is 1. American, 2. Female and 3. Has a bit of an edgy past. She seems fond of the tactic of throwing out inflammatory accusations as excuses for failures of her and her team, sexism, racism etc. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on number 3 there, but I don't particularly view any of those points as something which adds to the piece, it's pretty much an irrelevance. What does seem to be apparent is that she has very few supporters back home, and although high profile...ish, it's not like she has a wealth of experience in this area, or a whole host of others competing for her services.

What exactly were her pearls of wisdom that we all missed out on later in the tournament? She was absolutely certain that "Brazil France would be the game of the tournament". I forget how that one ended up.

Didi Hamann is not a similar comparison. He worked in England for many years, and indeed has worked for RTE for what, 8 years now? He has also been over here a lot with the ubiquitous Liverpool FC promotion that goes on in this country. He most likely has quite a few friends here, and probably some degree of a home in England, a 30 minute flight away. Solo is a completely different story. She has never worked over here, and probably doesn't know anybody here.

She worked on Brazil Mexico and Sweden Switzerland. In reality we'd have to have thought that would have ended up with Germany in one of those games, it could conceivably have been Brazil Germany. I'm sorry but Brazil are a huge deal in every part of the world when it comes to football. They were the tournament favourites and could conceivably have been knocked out by Mexico, themselves having defeated the hosts already in the tournament.

You say yourself that she probably cost a bit, maybe RTE felt that getting her over for a couple of days was good enough. Maybe she felt herself that she only wanted to do a couple of games. Punditry is the most overrated role in sport anyway, so we shouldn't feel shortchanged about anybody not being that prominent. I'd say those one or two people who feel that way are literally the one or two.

"She didn't say anything particularly controversial because the chance didn't come for her to do so." Absolutely not true.

I'll leave it at that on the matter.

Can we all agree on *one* thing?

That it's likely that, in four years' time, most people - Boardsies and non-Boardsies included - will have forgotten that Hope Solo was an RTE pundit. (Just as most people seem to have forgotten that Brad Friedel was an RTE pundit for a few days during the 2014 WC.)

Unless, of course, she accepts an invitation to come over for a day or two during Qatar '22.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Can we all agree on *one* thing?

That it's likely that, in four years' time, most people - Boardsies and non-Boardsies included - will have forgotten that Hope Solo was an RTE pundit. (Just as most people seem to have forgotten that Brad Friedel was an RTE pundit for a few days during the 2014 WC.)

Unless, of course, she accepts an invitation to come over for a day or two during Qatar '22.

Or Ossie Ardiles during the 2010 World Cup.

Advertisement