Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That was a strange qualifying campaign, first half we got away draws in France, Israel & Switzerland. 2-0 up at home to Israel after 11 minutes and we're halfway to the World Cup, then Robbie Keane went off injured and I think BK messed up the substitution tactically and handed the initiative to Israel.
    We ended up drawing a match 2-2 we should have won, then lost at home to France and couldn't beat Switzerland at home either. Finished 4th when we should have nabbed at least a playoff spot.

Israel went unbeaten in that campaign and didn't finish in the top two either. Strange alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭chicorytip

That’s the point I am trying to make,Chic.

As a license payer I reserve the right to highlight this.

Now, little slips can be tolerated like using ‘left’ instead of ‘let’ so beloved by those South of line 54.

However driving a coach and four through the language is worthy of comment,getting paid fuhhrikig well to do it is criminal.

Yes. I agree entirely with your point of view. It all comes down to a lack of proper training. You can't just stick a guy in front of a microphone and immediately expect him to sound accomplished but there are very basic broadcasting techniques which can be taught to improve them.Send them to Carr Communications before ever letting them on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

shakeitoff wrote: »
    At the time it was terrible because Ireland were genuinely as good as Switzerland if not better. We had put ourselves in a good position with our seeding and really ought to have made it to Germany 06. I'll never forget the Switzerland game, didn't a ball fizz past the 6 yard box with the last kick but nobody could get onto it. A touch and we would have been in Germany. I think that's the night I lost my enthusiasm for Ireland. Later qualifications never meant as much.

It was those 2 games against Israel that really cost us. Pissed away 4 points

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thought Darragh was the main man now, why's he doing the graveyard shift.

I'm not sure Brady likes Darragh too much - constantly tries to pick fights with him

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ameathdub

Prefer RTE any day over BBC for international coverage. But miss Bill and Giles on RTE. For me, Always more interesting when Eamonn Dunphy is on the panel. BBC coverage is slick and polished but maybe less interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,182 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

chicorytip wrote: »
    Yes. I agree entirely with your point of view. It all comes down to a lack of proper training. You can't just stick a guy in front of a microphone and immediately expect him to sound accomplished but there are very basic broadcasting techniques which can be taught to improve them.Send them to Carr Communications before ever letting them on air.

Hmm.... Wouldn't even do that.

Just explain the following four big ones.

Past tense of do is did' not done
    Past tense of see is saw, not seen
    Don't say he should have went, it's he should have gone
    Explain the adverbs.

That would eliminate 80% of the problems.

Not trying to be smart, just an easy way to cut this crap out of reportage.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Could the presenter, Jackie not wear something more professional. Looks like some rag you'd throw on while painting the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

She looks perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,182 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jaysus!

Kerr is doing my head in....switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Jeez Brady is a cranky fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Actually the three of them (Brady,Duff and Dunphy ) are all cranky feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Has Hope solo got lost somewhere between the US and Dublin Airport ? I mean RTE.ie had an article announcing her being on the world cup coverage, but there's been more sightings of Lord Lucan and Shergar than of her on RTE tv for the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Has Hope solo got lost somewhere between the US and Dublin Airport ? I mean RTE.ie had an article announcing her being on the world cup coverage, but there's been more sightings of Lord Lucan and Shergar than of her on RTE tv for the world cup.

They had a blonde one on for two the games earlier today maybe she was a cheaper replacement!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They announced they had Friedel 4 years ago, think he only made 2/3 appearances, she should be on in the next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They had a blonde one on for two the games earlier today maybe she was a cheaper replacement!

Was that the presenter or was it a panelist ? I know that Jacqui Hurley is covering the hosting duties with Peter Collins and Darragh Moloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was that the presenter or was it a panelist ? I know that Jacqui Hurley is covering the hosting duties with Peter Collins and Darragh Moloney.

Presenter. She wasn't the worst In fairness lot better then the women the BBC and ITV have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Presenter. She wasn't the worst In fairness lot better then the women the BBC and ITV have had.

Have to agree to disagree with you on that one. Gabby Logan's brilliant. :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Gabby's as good as any of the blokes. Jacqui Hurley, same.

I'm not entirely happy they don't have a tiny bit of discussion during the highlights show. Wouldn't add much to the cost, I'd imagine.

Although, having said that, during the live games I mute the tv as soon as the half time whistle goes, and switch off at full time, just cos I can't handle the ads.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah I remember the last Euros they had a show with Jacqui Hurley and Aidan Power, it was watchable, although they did focus too much on the "zany" antics of the Irish fans when all I wanted to see was highlights of games I missed earlier.

RTE just showed an ad for today's games, what the feck :confused:

I'm going to contradict what I just said. Extended highlights is much better than talking about it.

Fair play, RTE.

Maybe two mins highlightd of what the panel said would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

One day it will all be on Sky or BT and we'll be boring kids with stories about how every World Cup game used to be free on RTE, BBC and ITV.

There's nothing like it. The schedules ripped up and three games every day. With highlights and repeats.

It's brilliant, even when its rubbish its still great.

Especially those of us here who watched the RTE panel over the last 30 years, they talked a lot of sh1te but they were never boring, more often than not they were more entertaining than the games, God knows what Eamon would say next and Giles with his unique ability to explain so simply and clearly why a goal was scored or the flaws in a team's system.

I said it before but once this WC ends I won't care anymore, those clowns have ruined something I always look forward to, This WC feels like the end of a golden age of televised sport :(

I caught a bit of Giles on Off The Ball tonight.

I agreed with the decision at the time (even though I thought it sort of flew in the face of "The Three Wise Men" that the others carried on) to move him on, but he brought a sort of gravitas (is that the word?)) that's completely missing now.

Just because he said the same stuff all the time, it doesn't mean he wasn't true. It's a simple enough game.

Bah.

RTE showing ads for today's games (yesterdays now) again :confused:

Well at least it's better than the ad featuring Maroon 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I agreed with the decision at the time (even though I thought it sort of flew in the face of "The Three Wise Men" that the others carried on) to move him on, but he brought a sort of gravitas (is that the word?)) that's completely missing now.

Just because he said the same stuff all the time, it doesn't mean he wasn't true. It's a simple enough game.

Bah.

Yeah, gravitas is exactly the word. He's badly missed - I know things and people move on but it still seems like a premature decision to remove him. John Giles's contributions to The Herald and Newstalk recently show that he still has it. Change for the sake of change is not enough reason for change.?

Imagine the jubilation if RTE relented and slipped in John Giles into the panel unannounced for one of games? Joy Unconfined, Bill.

You have to judge each panel on it's merits, Ryle Nugent.

Go ahead and think about knocking that on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

Hmm.... Wouldn't even do that.

Just explain the following four big ones.

Past tense of see is saw, not seen
    Don't say he should have went, it's he should have gone

I for one couldn't give a ****e about past participles and perfect tenses etc

To me the same kinds of people that give out about any SUV being called Jeep get upset about minor grammatical errors ... that is just mildly OCD style nitpicking imo

Its not as if a language can't or won't evolve rendering those rules obsolete in the future or perhaps it should not have evolved those affectations in the first place....its just a collection of sounds we have assigned meanings to...perhaps you are in a minority when it comes to objecting to that sort of stuff

Whats more of an issue is the fact I don't feel as kindly disposed to RTE's panel members as I used to...."some" of them just are not as likeable as the older crew (at least in my opinion) .. and some of them don't have the same rapport ....very little of that has anything got to do with precise grammar, perhaps a little is to do with enunciation and accent but most of it is to do with personality or lack thereof.

I vote Brian for the Cheif Analyst chair.

Or I would, but I don't want him taken off co comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Bah.

I feel the same about Giles. I listen to him every now and again on Off The Ball and to be honest I still find what he has to say to be largely sound.

I know he may not always be bang up to date on individual players names and maybe some of his views on the way the game and clubs are run nowadays are a bit old fashioned, but I can never shake the feeling that, despite all that surface level stuff, Giles just knows: he sees beyond all that shit.

He just knows the game: he can just boil it all down to the essence, again and again and again. There's something so satisfying about hearing a man like that - who's like the purest of pure football men - talk about the fundamentals of something he's lived his entire life. Who cares if he can't say Boateng correctly? Honestly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Skid X wrote: »

There's nothing like it. The schedules ripped up and three games every day. With highlights and repeats.

It's brilliant, even when its rubbish its still great.

It's like living in some mad fundamentalist state where the only sanctioned object of worship is football.

I love watching even the most ardent football haters I know slowly begin to crack under the pressure.

I always feel a little bittersweet when the group stages come to an end, even though I know that signals the beginning of the real epic stuff. That insane and seemingly never ending diet of football day in day out is my favourite single two weeks of every four years.

Advertisement