Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options
  • 15-06-2018 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭

Having a gander today

Panel Hurley, k Doyle S Given, unknown female

Eeeeh

Hurley is very harsh, the lady on the panel has a Katie Taylor delivery,mile a minute stuff,no pauses, wear you out.

Doyle and Given not too bad, but they need to slow the fork down,and Hurley needs to calm the kick and rush stuff down.

Hopefully they will improve , difficult to relax and get real feedback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Having a gander today

Panel Hurley, k Doyle S Given, unknown female

Eeeeh

Hurley is very harsh, the lady on the panel has a Katie Taylor delivery,mile a minute stuff,no pauses, wear you out.

Doyle and Given not too bad, but they need to slow the fork down,and Hurley needs to calm the kick and rush stuff down.

Hopefully they will improve , difficult to relax and get real feedback?

Stefanie Roche I think? Stuck between the two lads. But, is it just our reception - the lip sync is way out? OK on other channels, so don't think it's our receiver. Annoying to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

That panel were absolutely brutal especially that small blonde, then the silly eejit with the wigs trying to be funny was so cringe too.

I'll be sticking to UTV from now on, embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Having a wee gander here as well for the afternoon game. Usually watch BBC followed by ITV.

I miss Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Stefanie Roche I think? Stuck between the two lads. But, is it just our reception - the lip sync is way out? OK on other channels, so don't think it's our receiver. Annoying to watch.

Yes you may be right, very Katie Tayloresque delivery.

Hurley comes across as very ‘threatening ‘ to my mind.

My advice would be to this lot is to r e l a x, chill out and enjoy the experience.

Contrast Maloney and Co. much slower paced and relaxed on the 1600 game

Maloney much less threatening using his role as a facilitator , less frantic, better viewing, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I want to see Hope Solo and Dunphy on the same panel in a major row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

She’d batter the little prick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes you may be right, very Katie Tayloresque delivery.

Hurley comes across as very ‘threatening ‘ to my mind.

Both from Bray AFAIK :p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

is this to to with gender equality, the combination of all four didnt really work

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

I normally prefer to watch the RTE coverage. The punditry is usually so much more knowlegable than the alternative channels. The panel they had this morning was beyond embarrasing. I know they can't have the big boys on for every match, but they should be able to put together a decent B team at least. If they can't put a decent panel together they would be better to show only the game with no panel. Otherwise they will lose viewers who switch over and don't switch back later on. I can't believe anyone could watch the garbage they presented today and not switch over at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Heard Jacqui Hurley suggest earlier that there was a "correlation" between the Spanish manager being fired and the Irish Saipan episode.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Heard Jacqui Hurley suggest earlier that there was a "correlation" between the Spanish manager being fired and the Irish Saipan episode.

:rolleyes:

Only if you remove one a from Saipan and mix around the rest of the letters ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Anyone watching online?

I have a 450mb connection and connected direct with ethernet but once again picture is either terrible or dropping out. Same for anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

deisedevil wrote: »
    Anyone watching online?

I have a 450mb connection and connected direct with ethernet but once again picture is either terrible or dropping out. Same for anyone else?

Rte doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream mass audience programmes. So it's not you, it's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Trasna1 wrote: »
    Rte doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream mass audience programmes. So it's not you, it's them.

Yep.

I have no aerial for TV. But must continue to pay €160 a year to watch the odd match on that terrible quality stream.

I raised a complaint before, gave loads of info, examples, all troubleshooting steps, advised used multiple devices connected direct through ethernet and connecting through my mobile broadband connection. They responded to say my internet connection was at fault. Then completely ignored all my repsonses thereafter.

Why should anyone be forced to pay for a service that does not work and can be proven to be the providers issue. If Netflix were this poor you could cancel straight away.

I'm sure it will all improve when we are forced to pay the increase they are looking for though right. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Long past time Dunphy got his P45 IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

What is with this apres match crap it hasn't been funny for 15yrs why keep showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Darragh Maloney on tonight with Liam Brady,Richie Sadlier and Keith Andrews on panel I am not a fan of Andrews,but overall very good analysis and excellent presentation as usual by Maloney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Darragh Maloney on tonight with Liam Brady,Richie Sadlier and Keith Andrews on panel I am not a fan of Andrews,but overall very good analysis and excellent presentation as usual by Maloney.

Andrews is a bit of a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seriously someone from wardrobe needs to tell liam to up his shirt size and ditch the tie... he still talks a lot of sense so am hoping we dont lose him to an unfortunate choking incident.

I dont know where this trend for 3 analysts comes from. Clough and Big Ron could handle this stuff on their own!
    If rte need to save money thats a no brainer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's a wonder RTE haven't Marty Morrissey involved. He's in everything else except the Christmas crib, though he'd fit in it.

• Advertisement

It's a wonder RTE haven't Marty Morrissey involved. He's in everything else except the Christmas crib, though he'd fit in it.

He was busy"on the far over side"of the Shannon today making sure Hyde Park in Roscommon is ok for the Connaught final.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He was busy"on the far over side"of the Shannon today making sure Hyde Park in Roscommon is ok for the Connaught final.

Was he making his "dayboo" in the Hyde?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ger Canning was commentating on the Spain Portugal match and did refer to a free kick as a "free out" so there is some gaa phrases creeping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why is there so much Marty?

His post match radio programme on Sunday is even actually called The Marty Squad! Who does that? His f*ckin SQUAD??

He was on the f*ckin Bloom coverage last week!!

Does he have dirt on Dee Forbes or something?

Anyway, that's off topic. I watch every match on RTE, cos they have easily the best comms & co comms (give Kerr the big matches, for f*ck sake) but generally do something else until kick off, mute at half time (or go to BBC), because I hate the ads and only watch post match if something amazing happens.

I get all my analysis from podcasts.

Was he making his "dayboo" in the Hyde?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

flazio wrote: »
    Ger Canning was commentating on the Spain Portugal match and did refer to a free kick as a "free out" so there is some gaa phrases creeping in.

It ain't the World Cup without Ger Canning. Very surprised he got such a big game, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

What do ye think of the display of goalscorers during the game?? Instead of showing them all on one graphic, they kept scrolling, made my eyes bleed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

flazio wrote: »

If it's not George Hamilton or Adrian Eames leading the commentary it is off to bbc/itv. Kerr can't rescue the situation if it's one of the gaa commentators in the driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Overall Canning did quite well in my opinion, good identification of the players no slip ups or forgetting who's who. He was paired up with Jim Beglin and I was able to watch the match with no complaints or eye rolling.
    Only thing is though I get the feeling that RTÉ were saving a few air fares by commentating from Dublin rather than sending the boys over to Sochi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

famagusta wrote: »
    What do ye think of the display of goalscorers during the game?? Instead of showing them all on one graphic, they kept scrolling, made my eyes bleed

This is awful. Not just RTE though, as saw on BBC so must be the main feed.
    What were they thinking?
    Far better seeing all goal scorers on one screen at once.
    It just looks crap.

Advertisement