Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Where's Hope Solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

Maloney and Hamann are decent but I'd say ratings will slide dramatically once Brady and Dunphy go.

Some of the pundits on RTE have no charisma whatsoever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

lawred2 wrote: »
    I like it

The Zlatan ad? it's so sh1te it's actually entertaining.

I remember they only had Brad Friedel for a few days last time, and Ozzy Ardiles was only there for about a week, I think Hope Solo will only make a handful of appearances too.

As usual Dunphy, Brady, Duffer, Richie and Didi will be probably be there till the end of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

Dunphy just stated that it's great for Senegal to beat Poland as they've never been to a world cup before!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ronnie w adds nothing extra than yer average bar stool expert in countless pubs around the country would say.

Still I like him up to a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,182 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ronnie w adds nothing extra than yer average bar stool expert in countless pubs around the country would say.

Still I like him up to a point.

Apart from the annoying accent and mangling of the language he’s not bad.

There’s only so much one can say,I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kerr's commentary while the Polish defence were like sheep in a heap for the 2nd goal is priceless. You can't fake that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

odyssey06 wrote:
    Kerr's commentary while the Polish defence were like sheep in a heap for the 2nd goal is priceless. You can't fake that.

I think people are like sheep in relation to feedback on his commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sheep in a heap is a famous Babs Keating quote.

He used it to the describe the Offaly hurling team back when he was their manager for a brief spell in the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I bet Peter Collins has driven to Dundee in his bare feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Sheep in a heap is a famous Babs Keating quote.

He used it to the describe the Offaly hurling team back when he was their manager for a brief spell in the 90s.

Before he was sacked, Bond took over and Offaly won the All Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Am I right in saying only Hamilton and Ronnie whelan are actually in Russia?

The rest are commentating from montrose I think?

Ray mangling the tenses good as ever on the Rus Egy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Anyone having trouble hearing the RTE commentators today. 1pm and 7pm. Very quiet. It's like they're in another room and the voices are wandering in on the match in this room.

Ray mangling the tenses good as ever on the Rus Egy game.
    "He done well to get a shot off."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The crowd noise levels on rte do my head in,BBC + itv way quieter

tampopo wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble hearing the RTE commentators today. 1pm and 7pm. Very quiet. It's like they're in another room and the voices are wandering in on the match in this room.
    Yeah I noticed that also. I think only George and Ronnie are actually on location in Russia.

The rest are working from the studio in Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's not looking good at this particular moment in time.

Have they done away with any sort of discussion on the highlights show? That's where Kenny did his best work.

Yeah, I thought they'd have a daily highlights show too. They could have left Kenny and Stephen Hunt to fiddle around in the studio while the big boys were gone home to bed or - in Dunphy's case - Lillie's.

So far I've only caught the punditry in fits and starts.

Didi seems like a lovely man who knows his stuff, but my lord, his predictions are something terrible. And he's a betting man. Go figure. He predicted several teams to go far during the last World Cup too - only for them to crash out in the next game. But it's really hard not to like him.

Richard Dunne gives me this feeling of existential despair. I think it's the watery eyes. I find him quite compelling, He has the look about him of some guy condemned to death after Stalinist show trial, for something he didn't commit, but who knows it's really deserved punishment because of some other atrocities he actually got away with in the past. Now I'm not claiming that Richard Dunne committed atrocities in the past or is even secretly Russian or anything, but, just that when he's asked to occasionally analyse some defensive error or whatever he gets this sad look on his face that's really deep and at home on the couch I start to wring my hands like some St. Petersberg peasant from the late 19th century.

I can't take anything Keith Andrews says seriously because he just looks so silly.

There's a great juxtaposition in Shay Given's soft melodious voice and the granite finality of the aesthetics of his head.

I kinda like Duff's style - at least he's got one, which is more than can be said for most youngish pundits. He seems fairly skeptical about almost everything all the time, but like most cynics I'd be willing to bet he's a romantic at heart. Someday we'll see that Milky Bar Kid smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought they'd have a daily highlights show too. They could have left Kenny and Stephen Hunt to fiddle around in the studio while the big boys were gone home to bed or - in Dunphy's case - Lillie's.

Didi seems like a lovely man who knows his stuff, but my lord, his predictions are something terrible. And he's a betting man. Go figure. He predicted several teams to go far during the last World Cup too - only for them to crash out in the next game. But it's really hard not to like him.

Richard Dunne gives me this feeling of existential despair. I think it's the watery eyes. I find him quite compelling, He has the look about him of some guy condemned to death after Stalinist show trial, for something he didn't commit, but who knows it's really deserved punishment because of some other atrocities he actually got away with in the past. Now I'm not claiming that Richard Dunne committed atrocities in the past or is even secretly Russian or anything, but, just that when he's asked to occasionally analyse some defensive error or whatever he gets this sad look on his face that's really deep and at home on the couch I start to wring my hands like some St. Petersberg peasant from the late 19th century.

I can't take anything Keith Andrews says seriously because he just looks so silly.

There's a great juxtaposition in Shay Given's soft melodious voice and the granite finality of the aesthetics of his head.

I kinda like Duff's style - at least he's got one, which is more than can be said for most youngish pundits. He seems fairly skeptical about almost everything all the time, but like most cynics I'd be willing to bet he's a romantic at heart. Someday we'll see that Milky Bar Kid smile.

:D:D

Great post.

Although I disagree about Keith Andrews and his admirable hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    :D:D

Great post.

Although I disagree about Keith Andrews and his admirable hair.

It is distracting though with it's deep chestnut hue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,382 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The crowd noise levels on rte do my head in,BBC + itv way quieter

It is funny I actually prefer the crowd noises feels like you are at the game.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

quintana76 wrote: »
    It is distracting though with it's deep chestnut hue.

It’s as puzzling as The Donald’s,in its style and ‘make up’,for sure.

‘Strange’ is a word one might use with a degree of accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,382 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Most of the pundits are OK except Dunphy.

Dunphy needs to be put on to grass I turn off when he is on.
    Nothing to offer only likes the sound of his own voice.
    If they do keep Dunphy they need to put someone on who will challenge his guff and previous statements.
    He hates that!

I find he always tries to be polite and hates confrontation it is gas when there is a row on either side of him.
    Very analytical tough which is good

He seems like he got forced to do it or something?
    Who has the gun to head I wonder

Andrews is the best pundit of the lot (after the legend that is Brian Kerr).
    You can see why he made the best of his abilities as a player.
    As for the haircut thing - I just think of him as a young Einstein.
    You will listen then

I like Shay he does not come out with any guff - but is not a contfrontational type.

Duff is gas the way he gets exasperated with players being soft and working hard. He does not suffer softies or lazy players

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Considering it's on the BBC/ITV was it worth the expense for RTE . RTE moan about being broke so often.
    RTE also spend their time persecuting holiday home owners and small business owners to pay for a second rip-off licence. RTE also enjoy bringing poor families to court for not paying the TV licence and then they waste a fortune covering a tournament that is already watchable by every person in Ireland on the BBC/ITV for free thru a satellite dish!!

Nice experience for the RTE staff that get to travel around Russia and cover the tournament. ;-) And at the end of the day, public services are all about the staff ! Fcuk the service you are supposed to be providing!
    Rant over ;-)
    RTE are stuck in 1978 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I feel I should point out that ITV covered the whole of South Korea/Japan 2002 from London - and the BBC covered the first two rounds of that World Cup from London too.

Also, the Beeb covered the group stage of Euro 2012 from Salford - although that was because of other big events that year. ;)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-15910152

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Peter Collins seems more stilted than usual today. Don't they know to keep him out of direct sunlight and to keep him topped up with fresh plasma? Maybe Kevin Doyle has a crucifix on under his shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Who are the constant ads for that f*ckin Shirley Bassey thing aimed at? It's on every single ad break.

How many people who love the World Cup enough to sit through Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia are also likely to go "Ooh, Shirley Bassey and David Walliams. F*ck I better not forget that's on?"

Peter Collins seems more stilted than usual today. Don't they know to keep him out of direct sunlight and to keep him topped up with fresh plasma? Maybe Kevin Doyle has a crucifix on under his shirt.

Nice one Arghus, head is pulled back further than usual .

Jaysus..can that douche Kerr not pronounce the letter 't'

Absolute rubbish, serring ir oop,the lad shouldn't be let near a public microphone.

Surely RTE have better than that.

Insulting the viewers in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Love seeing all the culchies and boggers lose their mind over Kerr. He's a football genius.

Advertisement