Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Maradona rolling around in his seat, watching Argentina fail to break down Iceland, with cigar between his fat fingers.

George Hamilton reckons it's 'a more positive use of the hand on this occasion'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Maradona rolling around in his seat, watching Argentina fail to break down Iceland, with cigar between his fat fingers.

George Hamilton reckons it's 'a more positive use of the hand on this occasion'

His goal against England was the greatest use of a hand in the history of soccer.

George seemed to think he was on the BBC and not RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Panel of Duff Dunphy and Dunne very lack lustre

Panel of Duff Dunphy and Dunne very lack lustre

Absolutely hate Duff, he's a whingey, miserable ****er who lacks any personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Duff always looks like someone who's just been tore out of bed for school , and always a moany attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why is there so much Marty?

His post match radio programme on Sunday is even actually called The Marty Squad! Who does that? His f*ckin SQUAD??

He was on the f*ckin Bloom coverage last week!!

Does he have dirt on Dee Forbes or something?

Anyway, that's off topic. I watch every match on RTE, cos they have easily the best comms & co comms (give Kerr the big matches, for f*ck sake) but generally do something else until kick off, mute at half time (or go to BBC), because I hate the ads and only watch post match if something amazing happens.

I get all my analysis from podcasts.

Don't you know he's a 'legend' in this country. We confer legendary status on pretty much any ubiquitous tool. Healy-Raes? Legends, boy! Daniel O'Donnell? Legend! etc Although I don't have much time for Marty, he's harmless enough, and there are a lot more cynical, egoists that I despise more. Whenever I see Marty, he always reminds of a smiling happy demon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I haven't had a world cup in Ireland since 98 but so far I much prefer RTE over the BBC. Duff is a bit of a moan but he knows his stuff. I think RTE have a better balance than the BBC as in they have a much more diverse panel which gives you opinions from different eras/ backrounds in the game. The BBC so far has been mostly players all from the same era from the top clubs so all the opinions seem to be the same. I haven't seen ITV as I can't get it on my sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Who is the guy with the massive head of black curls, they are so out of control on his head that I end up totally distracted by them and so miss what he is saying, I mean the literal head on him!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

youtube! wrote: »
    Who is the guy with the massive head of black curls, they are so out of control on his head that I end up totally distracted by them and so miss what he is saying, I mean the literal head on him!

Keith Andrews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Itv have Keane and Bilic. Worth a watch. Plus copying BT sport they have a ref (Mark Clattenberg) to review contentious issues.

For the French penalty yesterday, the RTE panel, including Given and Didi, thought it wasn't a penalty because the Australian got a touch on the ball. The pro ref on ITV knew it was a certain penalty on review and the RTE panel were talking through their hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Itv have Keane and Bilic. Worth a watch. Plus copying BT sport they have a ref (Mark Clattenberg) to review contentious issues.

For the French penalty yesterday, the RTE panel, including Given and Didi, thought it wasn't a penalty because the Australian got a touch on the ball. The pro ref on ITV knew it was a certain penalty on review and the RTE panel were talking through their hat.

Clattenberg is a clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I almost died a death laughing at Clattenburg's fake tan.. he is a grade A tool.

The clown had gone full on chocolate face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Keith Andrews

I am well out of touch with Irish football since the glory days , did he score lots of goals? Is he a bit of a legend? Is that why he on the panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Weepsie wrote: »
    Keith Andrews

He's a donkey, worst pundit ever, nearly as bad as the token woman the other day

Once I recovered I was then treated to Rio Ferdinand's insightful 'analysis' as to how Ronaldo could 'mix it up' when kicking the ball.

Back to RTE to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BBC are still rolling out Mark Lawrenson for games, don't know why he clearly hates his life, Russia, World Cups, football, footballs, the colour green.

Sam Matterface is on ITV as a main commentator and he's ok but he comes out with some shíte too, yesterday when Pavon came on he went for "he's a small lad, 5'5, the same height as Kirstin Dunst or Mel from Mel & Sue".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lawred2 wrote: »
    Once I recovered I was then treated to Rio Ferdinand's insightful 'analysis' as to how Ronaldo could 'mix it up' when kicking the ball.

Back to RTE to stay.

Ah yes, Rio. "Norway will they be watching that". I presume they will, including their National footballers too who aren't there.

Phil Neville on BBC got called out for his waffle by Drogba and the presenter in the France - Australia game. Great to see and made him squirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Patww79 wrote: »
    He uses 25 words where 5 will do and says "football club" a lot, so it sounds like he knows what he's on about.

See also: Kenny Cunningham, though at least he's crabby enough to be mildly entertaining.

And you can always look at Kennys eyebrows go up and down with every word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Pro refs can get it wrong aswell. I've read a decent cross section of press on that incident and there is no clear consensus. I think it's one of those where it can go either way to use a cliche. I'm supporting Aus in the cup but don't really have any complaints about it. It's half the fun of the game I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Keith Andrews and American Country Singer Lyle Lovett must have been separated at birth

LLovett.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The pro ref on ITV knew it was a certain penalty on review

Not one English referee at the world cup. Yeah they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sam Matterface is on ITV as a main commentator and he's ok but he comes out with some sh too, yesterday when Pavon came on he went for "he's a small lad, 5'5, the same height as Kirstin Dunst or Mel from Mel & Sue".

I mentioned that in another thread, probably the most obscure line of commentary ever.

Why not say he's same height as Maradona?

And why Kirsten Dunst or Mel from Mel & Sue?

You can tell he probably cracked one off looking at Dunst photos in his hotel the night before the game.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

flazio wrote: »
    Overall Canning did quite well in my opinion, good identification of the players no slip ups or forgetting who's who. He was paired up with Jim Beglin and I was able to watch the match with no complaints or eye rolling.
    Only thing is though I get the feeling that RTÉ were saving a few air fares by commentating from Dublin rather than sending the boys over to Sochi.

Ger's definitely doing his World Cup commentaries from Dublin - because he's commentating on Clare v Limerick right now.

He's actually been commentating on soccer almost as long as he's been commentating on GAA - and he sometimes lets the odd soccer term slip into his GAA commentaries, too (e.g. "free kick", "7-4" when the score is 0-7 to 0-4).

On a slightly related note, here's a relatively rare GAA commentary by Tony O'Hehir (courtesy of none other than KillianM2):

Probably fair to say that he's more accustomed to commentating on the gee-gees - unlike his father, who of course commentated on nearly 100 All-Ireland finals as well as many Aintree and Fairyhouse Grand Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

AnneFrank wrote: »
    He's a donkey, worst pundit ever, nearly as bad as the token woman the other day

The juries out on him, I’d say, gets a lot of work on Sky,so must have ‘something’

I can’t warm to the lad, even though I’d like to see him doing well, don’t really know why, could be the element of smugness he seems to emanate.

There’s just something about his punditry which seems to say ‘punditry by numbers’ with little personal input or passion.

Just my opinion though, would like to see the lad do well.

Light bulb exploding over Brady's head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

lawred2 wrote:
    I almost died a death laughing at Clattenburg's fake tan.. he is a grade A tool.

He's been working in Saudi Arabia for their referees' association for over a year now, so I'd be surprised if he didn't have a tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

deisedevil wrote: »
    Anyone watching online?

I have a 450mb connection and connected direct with ethernet but once again picture is either terrible or dropping out. Same for anyone else?
    Trasna1 wrote: »
    Rte doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream mass audience programmes. So it's not you, it's them.

I made the mistake of watching the Iceland-Argentina game on the RTÉ player as I was booted into Windows at the time and didn't want to chance the cancerous streaming pages.

It was a mistake. Every 10 or 15 minutes it would just cut out and I had to watch some stupid ads before it started up again. That was bad enough but the most infuriating part was that the stream cut with around 5 minutes to go and didn't come back online. By then it was too late to find alternative sources so I just read the result on the BBC site.

I really don't get it. Streaming isn't exactly cutting edge technology and server resources are fairly cheap. They should be able to figure this stuff out.

• Advertisement

Someone really needs to tell Brian Kerr to shut up, he talks way way too much and to be honest he's ruining the match experience.

Why can't TV commentators realise that people can see what is happening and don't need non stop commentary.

Really wish there was a red button option to not have the commentators I'd choose it for pretty much every match.

Advertisement