Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Arghus wrote: »
    I always feel a little bittersweet when the group stages come to an end, even though I know that signals the beginning of the real epic stuff. That insane and seemingly never ending diet of football day in day out is my favourite single two weeks of every four years.

Yeah that's true, I'm getting a sense of melancholy already cos for me this is the last real World Cup, I've zero interest in the farce in Qatar in 4 and half years, and once it goes to 48 teams the group stages will be unwatchable, there's already enough rubbish in the 32 team format, I'll watch the knock out stages alright but I won't have the same childlike enthusiasm for it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,216 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

amacca wrote: »
    I for one couldn't give a ****e about past participles and perfect tenses etc

To me the same kinds of people that give out about any SUV being called Jeep get upset about minor grammatical errors ... that is just mildly OCD style nitpicking imo

Its not as if a language can't or won't evolve rendering those rules obsolete in the future or perhaps it should not have evolved those affectations in the first place....its just a collection of sounds we have assigned meanings to...perhaps you are in a minority when it comes to objecting to that sort of stuff

Whats more of an issue is the fact I don't feel as kindly disposed to RTE's panel members as I used to...."some" of them just are not as likeable as the older crew (at least in my opinion) .. and some of them don't have the same rapport ....very little of that has anything got to do with precise grammar, perhaps a little is to do with enunciation and accent but most of it is to do with personality or lack thereof.

Is it too much to expect that people being paid to speak on national media have the basics of the language they are communicating in?

With respect, I dont think it is.

Brian Kerr’s “He stopped ih wir his fuhh “ put me over the top anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Brian Kerr’s “He stopped ih wir his fuhh “ put me over the top anyway.

That's his dialect, we're not the only country to have such a trait as you know (mentioned earlier) Seems to me you can only stomach BBC English or false accents over the airwaves.

While grammar and pronunciation is important, I think there can be exceptions. This is live sport with unprepared scripts / speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Des Cahill read out tomorrows fixtures instead of todays on RTE Radio 1 Rising Time this morning. It's the bulletin that's at 6.45.

Too much trouble for him to get the basics right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The exact same thing happened on the 11:00pm bulletin last night and the 7:30am bulletin this morning. I wouldn’t blame the presenter, someone else likely prepared the scripts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Laughed my hole off the other night when Peter Collins was anchoring the Spain game.

Conversation was centred around players crowding around the referee. Eamon mentioned it stemmed from the PL and Mourinho.

After a couple of minutes Peter comes out with this gem (on the coverage of Spain v Iran no less)..."Do you think Mourinho changed when he returned to the Premier League?"

He took the mick out of himself about that question in fairness to him but I was sitting there thinking "Why are they talking about Mourinho when the match is between Spain and Iran?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,310 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Laughed my hole off the other night when Peter Collins was anchoring the Spain game.

Conversation was centred around players crowding around the referee. Eamon mentioned it stemmed from the PL and Mourinho.

After a couple of minutes Peter comes out with this gem (on the coverage of Spain v Iran no less)..."Do you think Mourinho changed when he returned to the Premier League?"

He took the mick out of himself about that question in fairness to him but I was sitting there thinking "Why are they talking about Mourinho when the match is between Spain and Iran?

... and then Richie Sadlier said "Jesus Christ .." when he got fed up listening to them talking about Jose and the PL.

Eamo is now turning into Giles, a guy who sounded like he is getting a little senile, and who does nothing but chat about the good old days.

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and then Richie Sadlier said "Jesus Christ .." when he got fed up listening to them talking about Jose and the PL.

Eamo is now turning into Giles, a guy who sounded like he is getting a little senile, and who does nothing but chat about the good old days.

Eh, real football people would never talk like that, you have got to ree-member,
    I ree-pect genuine football people, people who...understand the game,people who have a ree- gard for the game .

It’s all changed these days, people don’t understand football and the people who criticise football are sitting in the ree-served seats these days.

We need to ree- turn to the old values

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

I've been impressed with Rio Ferdinand on BBC.

The best of the English pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Kevin Doyle has been a good addition to the panel. He's very genuine and not the worst analyst by any stretch.

• Advertisement

Yeah, have enjoyed Doyle for sure.

As for Rio, not much into any of the BBC pundits. They seem to find the blandest, most boring folk to talk about football.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle has been a good addition to the panel. He's very genuine and not the worst analyst by any stretch.

Agree, brings a good sense of ‘freshness’ to the panel and doesn’t have that ‘stare’ Andrews seems to have when one of the panel is talking.

Good guy, should do well with a bit of experience.

Not smelling himself like some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Greybottle wrote: »
    Des Cahill read out tomorrows fixtures instead of todays on RTE Radio 1 Rising Time this morning. It's the bulletin that's at 6.45.

Too much trouble for him to get the basics right.

Too busy giggling about choosing what song to play with an increasingly immature Shay Byrne to worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Agree, brings a good sense of ‘freshness’ to the panel and doesn’t have that ‘stare’ Andrews seems to have when one of the panel is talking.

Good guy, should do well with a bit of experience.

Not smelling himself like some of the others.

I've liked Doyle so far from what I've seen of him. He comes across as a genuine enough type of guy.

I also liked Kenny Cunningham. He was always true to himself too, even if that caused consternation amongst everyone else.

I've liked Doyle so far from what I've seen of him. He comes across as a genuine enough type of guy.

I also liked Kenny Cunningham. He was always true to himself too, even if that caused consternation amongst everyone else.

Hmmm...always a bit suspicious when I hear ‘true to himself’

Not sure what it means really.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

What's the craic with that clown pulling faces into a mirror intro to the Iceland Nigeria game.

Hyundai must have spent a fortune on advertising, don't think they've missed one ad break on RTE so far anyway.

Sorry, but no, no, no.

There's only so many "em's" you can listen to. And he says it far too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Find the overall coverage excellent, miles ahead of the UK stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The marron 5 and Shirley bassey ad are annoying the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dammo

Brian Kerr is brilliant. Always good to listen to someone who knows what they’re talking about.

As for his accent, is it any worse than having to listen to Clinton Morrison?

Sack Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton immediately. Painful, both of them. Throw Jim Beglin in the bin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

irishgeo wrote: »
    The marron 5 and Shirley bassey ad are annoying the **** out of me.

All I can think of is Alan Partridge and Gina Langland when I see that Shirley Bassey ad

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

England playing this evening at 7 apparently.:)

Wonder did Sadlier deliberately work in that the match is tomorrow afternoon to correct him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Some musings.

I don't like watching Jackie Hurley and avoid it when she's on. Same for Rio.

Peter Collins very boring. I recall a few commentaries he did and they were bad. He reminded me of the equally poor Mick Dunne where he just raised his voice when a goal was scored but without any emotion in it at all.

Why in fact is Giles not on?

And why oh why are Brady and Dunphy speaking with an uplift at the end of a sentence? Like American teenagers? Very annoying. I never hear any BBC ITV do that.

Don't care for Duff. Has he stopped his ehh ... ehhs yet?

How much preparation I wonder do all the panelists do for each programme? For a 7pm kick off I wonder what time they turn up and how much preparation in general they do? They won't know much about South Korea's system of Senegal's for that matter. Will they know their players? Would they be expected to watch all of the qualifiers of the teams they cover?

Hate the way on the BBC/ITV the male pundits sit, shirt open, legs spread apart, sleeves up all macho. Just don't like it.

I always feel Linekar is a smarmy old b.....d.
    While I'm at it, would somebody please tell Ian Wright to stop dressing like a clown and wear clothes appropriate to his age. Who wears a cap inside a studio? (Yeah. Some Kerry people but that's to get votes/attention).

Robbie 'I was world class' Savage. Dear oh dear.

What a life these football players have. These football pundits too.

I feel a bit better after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

bobbyss wrote: »
    Some musings.

Peter Collins very boring. I recall a few commentaries he did and they were bad. He reminded me of the equally poor Mick Dunne where he just raised his voice when a goal was scored but without any emotion in it at all.

And why oh why are Brady and Dunphy speaking with an uplift at the end of a sentence? Like American teenagers? Very annoying. I never hear any BBC ITV do that.

How much preparation I wonder do all the panelists do for each programme? For a 7pm kick off I wonder what time they turn up and how much preparation in general they do? They won't know much about South Korea's system of Senegal's for that matter. Will they know their players? Would they be expected to watch all of the qualifiers of the teams they cover?

Hate the way on the BBC/ITV the male pundits sit, shirt open, legs spread apart, sleeves up all macho. Just don't like it.

While I'm at it, would somebody please tell Ian Wright to stop dressing like a clown and wear clothes appropriate to his age. Who wears a cap inside a studio? (Yeah. Some Kerry people but that's to get votes/attention).

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan...

Remotes have off buttons y'know. And there's coverage on the radio too.

:o:o:o :rolleyes: :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

bobbyss wrote: »
    Some musings.

It's Jacqui,not Jackie.Agree about Savage he is by far the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Giles retired ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Patww79 wrote: »
    RTÉ 'retired' him.

They killed him??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's Jacqui,not Jackie.Agree about Savage he is by far the worst.

Yeah I knew it was wrong but couldn't be aresed. ( Are we correcting spelling errors now?)

Advertisement