Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus lanes set to greatly reduce journey times by 50%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

bk wrote: »
    And that is exactly what they want to fix with this.

Massively speed up journey times by 50% and people like you * will decide to leave your car at home and take the bus instead.

* I don't know if any of these routes are close enough for you to benefit. I'm saying this in general to motorists like you.

For many people who drive it has more to do with the benefits and convenience of using their own car or van rather than 50% faster bus journey times.
    How do you think disabled people would benefit? Or trades people who need tools or equipment? How about the convenience of a car for a parent dropping children to different locations creche/school and then going to work across the city? Plus maybe doing grocery shopping also..sports stuff and other activities at weekends..What about helping with elderly family members, getting to hospital appointments etc

Relying on public transport is not feasible, it causes untold stress to many families.

Living within the canals in Dublin doesn't make it easier either. Not everyone can walk or cycle or use public transport. People use whatever suits their circumstances at different times of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

https://twitter.com/DermotLeary/status/948234073595576320
    I feel like this tweet needs to be referenced if the NBRU oppose many aspects.

How do you think disabled people would benefit? Or trades people who need tools or equipment? How about the convenience of a car for a parent dropping children to different locations creche/school and then going to work across the city? Plus maybe doing grocery shopping also..sports stuff and other activities at weekends..What about helping with elderly family members, getting to hospital appointments etc

Buses won't be in their lane, and the restrictions on certain roads are minimal. Believe it or not, one-way systems are commonplace within the world, including Ireland. Take a drive through Clondalkin Village, or Rathfarnham Village, it's perfectly navigable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For many people who drive it has more to do with the benefits and convenience of using their own car or van rather than 50% faster bus journey times.
    Aaw would you stop?
    The vast majority of vehicles driving into the city centre are cars carrying only one person who wants to listen to the radio in comfort, pick their nose in basic privacy and not have to sit beside some random person who may smell. It's a lazy and snobby view and in the vast majority of cases, completely unnecessary.
    Commuting into town by car simply is not sustainable and a forward thinking alternative is needed.
    Still some moaners are to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Relying on public transport is not feasible, it causes untold stress to many families.

Living within the canals in Dublin doesn't make it easier either. Not everyone can walk or cycle or use public transport. People use whatever suits their circumstances at different times of life.

With better public transport more people will use it and the miniority who need a car will benefit too because as there will be less cars on the roads as more people use public transport due to it being quicker and easier. No will be stopped from taking their car out but unesscary journies which can be feasibly done by public transport will discouraged. You mention disabled people but all our buses and trams are wheelchair and disabled accessible.

Relying on public transport can be feasible if it is fast, frequent and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you're forgetting that its a semi-state body , you'll need a lot more than tarmac to get that. Privatisation isn't on the table yet.

just as well as privatization wouldn't deliver it either. dublin bus being a semi-state means nothing as they can only work with what they have got, and if they have a massively congested city where car is mostly prioritized then they aren't going to be able to provide efficient quick public transport. if you want efficient public transport then forcing the cars out of the city and huge congestion charges for car use in dublin are the only options. lets get cracking at that today.
    for what it's worth i think the plan to purchase parts of people's gardens is a bit to much for a bus lane. take back a good amount of the road space given to the private car instead and then if extra space for bus lanes are needed spend the money on buying people's gardens.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Aaw would you stop?
    The vast majority of vehicles driving into the city centre are cars carrying only one person who wants to listen to the radio in comfort, pick their nose in basic privacy and not have to sit beside some random person who may smell. It's a lazy and snobby view and in the vast majority of cases, completely unnecessary.
    Commuting into town by car simply is not sustainable and a forward thinking alternative is needed.
    Still some moaners are to be expected.

Stop yourself, and don't call me a moaner because I have a different point of view to you.

You might think it is completely unnecessary for many motorists but you don't know their circumstances.

You are right about random people on public transport that smell, so we can agree on something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

This solution should tell us something; that if we have to partially destroy 1000+ properties to drive a 100 year old combustion engine bus a bit quicker then we have reached the end of the cities usefulness.

Take a look at Dublin in say the year 1600. It was a tiny ad hoc layout of fields and dwellings. For 400 years bits have been stuck on like a kid adding stickers to a scrap book. It was never designed to be a modern fit for purpose city of 3 million people.

You cannot expect to use a 1000 year old viking settlement and get 21st century performance. That's unsane as demolishing all those properties.

We have reached the end of our old world cities in terms of usefulness. Time to build new from the centre out elsewhere and keep our old centres as historical monuments to show our kids how we used to live. Demolish the rest and recycle and turn into a nature reserve.

Stop yourself, and don't call me a moaner because I have a different point of view to you.

You might think it is completely unnecessary for many motorists but you don't know their circumstances.

You are right about random people on public transport that smell, so we can agree on something ;)

So every motorist in the city is elderly, disabled, can't walk, has loads of children to drop off according to you and can't use public transport for whatever reason.

If you can't deal with smelly then don't leave your front as the world out there has plenty of unpleasant smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lads, do yis realize how unhinged the brave new world style raving makes yiz sound? It comes across a bit like a hornby railway club populated by members the Warzaw county council circa 1955.

Quite, quite mad.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Lads, do yis realize how unhinged the brave new world style raving makes yiz sound? It comes across a bit like a hornby railway club populated by members the Warzaw county council circa 1955.

Quite, quite mad.

What are you on about?

Lantus wrote: »
    This solution should tell us something; that if we have to partially destroy 1000+ properties to drive a 100 year old combustion engine bus a bit quicker then we have reached the end of the cities usefulness.

Take a look at Dublin in say the year 1600. It was a tiny ad hoc layout of fields and dwellings. For 400 years bits have been stuck on like a kid adding stickers to a scrap book. It was never designed to be a modern fit for purpose city of 3 million people.

You cannot expect to use a 1000 year old viking settlement and get 21st century performance. That's unsane as demolishing all those properties.

We have reached the end of our old world cities in terms of usefulness. Time to build new from the centre out elsewhere and keep our old centres as historical monuments to show our kids how we used to live. Demolish the rest and recycle and turn into a nature reserve.
    Bambi wrote: »

Quite, quite mad.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    What are you on about?

All of the above is my guess.

Qrt wrote: »
    All of the above is my guess.

Ok fair enough but the above post would usually be that most reasonable boards members would ignore. The OP sounded like he/she was having a joke or a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Doesnt seem possible in nimby dublin

But I hope it happens. 1000 people losing a bit of their garden is a necessary sacrifice this city needs to make to keep its transport from imploding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Wait ‘til you discover the unpleasantness that comes out of cars..... Literally kills people....

Wow, dramatic much? Hundreds of incredibly historic and well preserved cities across europe many with medieval street patterns function extremely efficiently transport wise

And the majority of Dublins streets were designed and laid out between 1750 and 1850, they're not medieval, just never designed for cars. And many streets were also widened in the late 20th C by dublin corporation, all the areas around stephens green south, patricks cathedral, christchurch, used to look completely different as all the buildings were demolished to widen the roads

I wish micro cars were the standard that fit two passengers. it makes me sad when I walk along a busy road at rush hour into all these jeeps and big gas guzzlers and in 90% of the cars is just one person in them driving to work. What a waste of space in the city

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wish micro cars were the standard that fit two passengers. it makes me sad when I walk along a busy road at rush hour into all these jeeps and big gas guzzlers and in 90% of the cars is just one person in them driving to work. What a waste of space in the city

True aswell on the continent you see plenty of small city cars such as Volkswagen Up's and Fiat 500s. Don't see so many here

True aswell on the continent you see plenty of small city cars such as Volkswagen Up's and Fiat 500s. Don't see so many here

To be fair, we do have our fair share of Micras and Yaris(es?)

To be fair, we do have our fair share of Micras and Yaris(es?)

True but there is a stigma attached to them. I usually drive a Micra but on ocassion drive a larger car and when I'm driving the Micra people in gas guzzlers don't give you an ounce of space. People think only slow elderly people drive them.

• Advertisement

True but there is a stigma attached to them. I usually drive a Micra but on ocassion drive a larger car and when I'm driving the Micra people in gas guzzlers don't give you an ounce of space. People think only slow elderly people drive them.

I guess it comes down to the tremendous classism that exists in this country at a local level. Here, it's extremely prelevent at a local level, with certain areas having rigid social statuses attached, yet the political system remains quite open. In comparison to the UK, where local areas tend to have very fluid social statuses (tower blocks beside multi-million pound mansions), but the political system is tremendously more closed and cut-off to other social classes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Today with Sean O'Rourke today: https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/#102837252

Paul Melia (pro) and Noel Rock (panic inducing). Shows the two sides involved here.

marno21 wrote: »
    Today with Sean O'Rourke today: https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/#102837252

Paul Melia (pro) and Noel Rock (panic inducing). Shows the two sides involved here.

I'd love to know where Noel Rock got the "20,000 householders" figure from, with the quoted number of properties being 1,300, does that mean the average number of inhabitants per property in Dublin is over 15?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd love to know where Noel Rock got the "20,000 householders" figure from, with the quoted number of properties being 1,300, does that mean the average number of inhabitants per property in Dublin is over 15?
    His guess at the total number of houses along all the route corridors, only a proportion of which will be affected. It's an exaggerated guess at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

marno21 wrote: »

Heard this earlier. The only thing I'd agree with Rock on is that the people who will lose part of their property shouldn't be hearing about it for the first time on the news.

Is 2027 the target completion date? I see they have a map of what public transport in Dublin will look like in 2027 that includes these corridors

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they want less cars in the city, they need to build big secure affordable carparks outside the M50 on these new bus routes, with a transport link that starts at said carpark which goes into the city.

Otherwise there'll just be more congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It was never designed to be a modern fit for purpose city of 3 million people.

There's nothing even approaching 3m people in Dublin?
    Maybe 2 thirds of that if you take in all the commuter towns, the city itself maybe 1 quarter at best.

Anywho - I've had a volte face - they're talking on the radio of 25k a square metre in compensation - you can run a bus lane through my kitchen for that, never mind my garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Anywho - I've had a volte face - they're talking on the radio of 25k a square metre in compensation - you can run a bus lane through my kitchen for that, never mind my garden!

I heard that 25,000 per sqm figure this morning.

It couldn't be true?

That's (25k)(10,000) = 250 million per hectare!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

To me this plan seems like the road widening and demolition ideas of 1960s England. The loss of front gardens, trees etc will just not be tolerated.

We need to go underground, even if it costs much more. This plan just isn't a runner, I don't think. If they go ahead with this IMO they need to just boot private traffic off those roads and not widen them.

Edit: And keep the taxis out of these new bus lanes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All this talk of gas guzzlers, there's relatively few in Dublin, or Ireland, since the changes in motor tax a few years ago. It's a fallacy to suggest all big cars are ' gas guzzlers'.
    the_syco wrote: »
    If they want less cars in the city, they need to build big secure affordable carparks outside the M50 on these new bus routes, with a transport link that starts at said carpark which goes into the city.

Otherwise there'll just be more congestion.

A bizarre omission in the plan I think when you look at the amount of traffic entering Dublin from the N3, N4 and N7.

Advertisement