Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus lanes set to greatly reduce journey times by 50%

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2021 planned implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

sharper wrote: »
    Adding extra busses produces diminishing returns. You add busses now to improve things and also plan the infrastructure you need so you can get the most out of what's being spent on busses (and drivers) and so you can keep adding them into the future.

If the plan was only to add new busses then it wouldn't help, the plan is to do both because they complement each other.

I think 2027 is the date for all the busconnects measures to be completed by.

2027 is the only date I can see too. I'd much rather see target dates for each corridor so that there's something tangible in the near future. Other than that it seems to be a good plan although I can't see it improving my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

2021 planned implementation.

Implementation of what? BusConnects?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Qrt wrote: »
    Implementation of what? BusConnects?

The radial bus corridors in question on this thread

The radial bus corridors in question on this thread

Oh right. I assumed from the way the post was short and snappy that it was new hot-off-the-presses information, considering Leader's Questions was just on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This has to get the go ahead. It is time to put a stop to nimbys from letting the city grow and develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

markodaly wrote: »
    This has to get the go ahead. It is time to put a stop to nimbys from letting the city grow and develop.
    It's not just nimbyism.
    What about the powerful Dublin city centre business lobby? They will kick up stink as they always do when an attempt is made to keep cars out of the city centre and anyway those multi-story car parks are a magnet for bringing cars into the city. They will never be closed.
    Take South William Street for example, imagine what it could have been like during the recent long spell of fine weather (yes, we can and do get fine weather in Ireland) The street could have been full of tables and chairs outside the bars and cafes but instead the street is a kip with over crowded pavements, parked cars and all because traffic gets priority over pedestrians because of the BT and Drury Street car parks.
    It will take a change in attitudes and not just yet another Irish solution!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure if this has been covered - it's been confirmed that taxis will be allowed use the new infrastructure:

https://twitter.com/BusConnects/status/1006878724330082304

Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

sharper wrote: »
    You still have to do your construction somewhere and people will still oppose it, see the metro underground for example.

After construction most of the property goes back to owners use. In this case owners lose their property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 waver

Mine is likely to be one of the 1300 homes impacted.

The plan is to add a bus lane and a cycle lane to our road. My understanding is that is 8 metres. If it is 4 metres from each side I might just about keep my parking if we are allowed to get rid of the protected railing but because some of the buildings on the other side are right at the footpath I suspect more will have to come from our side.

One of the main reasons we chose this house and paid a premium was because we had previously lived in the same area but with no parking and found it very difficult. With children and jobs that are not on any direct public transport links.

So yes I am very put out by this plan. I do understand it might be for the greater good but that doesn't change how I feel today. Being allowed to park on the street a few streets away won't be much help as these are already difficult to park on.

And I would be stunned if it increased the value of my house. I can already walk to the city centre so I don't need a high speed bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

not sure if this has been covered - it's been confirmed that taxis will be allowed use the new infrastructure

That's another fight waiting to happen. Taxis are going to need to be restricted from bus lanes from 7-10am and 4-7pm to allow busses to keep moving.

This morning the Ormond Quay bus lane was totally clogged up with taxis and private cars. Enforcement would be nice as as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

monument wrote: »
    There’s a lot to unpack in that.

Cycling is at 10% and growing of Dublin City commuters, and, within the city centre, counts show cycling now at 13% of all traffic (including pedestrians) and 30-35%+ in very central areas.

The trend is up and this will speed up when full cycle route are developed. Remember: there’s not yet one single continuous suburb to city centre cycle route in place.

There’s not even a continuous pained cycle lane that’s parked on — the closest to it is Rathmines where bicycle commuters outnumber car commuters crossing the canal and there’s not a single ED area from the canal out the Rathgar Road where cycling commuters don’t outnumber bus commuters.

Cycling has more commuters than Luas for a fraction of the investment made in Luas. A few €100m over decades for cycling vs something approaching €2 billion for Luas (worth it, but the point is cycling investment is even better value).

You also seem to be making the presumption that making space for cycling is a purely pro-cycling measure — it’s not, it’s as much as a pro-bus measure as it frees up space for buses.

So you agree - cyclists comprise a small minority of those travelling in Dublin daily? I presume most - on this and the Cycling forums anyway (which are pretty interchangeable) - will welcome this as a step towards making Dublin more like Copenhagen? I was actually in Copenhagen recently - lovely city and certainly well set up for cyclists. Yet even in the "world's most bike friendly city" what form of transport has the largest modal share of daily journeys? Nope, not the bike, but the private car - and bike use is dropping steadily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, cycling has dropped from 45% of all journeys to a crushingly low 41%.
    it was 36% in 2013.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/10/why-have-copenhagens-bike-commuters-dropped-in-number/542859/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

waver wrote: »
    Mine is likely to be one of the 1300 homes impacted.

The plan is to add a bus lane and a cycle lane to our road. My understanding is that is 8 metres. If it is 4 metres from each side I might just about keep my parking if we are allowed to get rid of the protected railing but because some of the buildings on the other side are right at the footpath I suspect more will have to come from our side.

One of the main reasons we chose this house and paid a premium was because we had previously lived in the same area but with no parking and found it very difficult. With children and jobs that are not on any direct public transport links.

So yes I am very put out by this plan. I do understand it might be for the greater good but that doesn't change how I feel today. Being allowed to park on the street a few streets away won't be much help as these are already difficult to park on.

And I would be stunned if it increased the value of my house. I can already walk to the city centre so I don't need a high speed bus route.

It's unfortunately necessary to put some people out in order to improve the city as a whole and keep it open for business long term. You will be well compensated for the loss and it might provide you with flexibility that allows you to provide an improved alternative living situation for your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

yes, cycling has dropped from 45% of all journeys to a crushingly low 41%.
    it was 36% in 2013.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/10/why-have-copenhagens-bike-commuters-dropped-in-number/542859/

Why are figures for cycling in Copenhagen relevant to this discussion?

because part of the new bus corridor plan is to provide segregated cycling infrastructure too, i'd guess, and someone decided that they were relevant. copenhagen is a red herring, i'd agree with you, but i wanted to address the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are they going to demolish front gardens of georgians houses? I think a lot of those front gardens are heritage protected

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are they going to demolish front gardens of georgians houses? I think a lot of those front gardens are heritage protected

Just had a quick look on StreetView and a lot of them seem to have fairly mediocre walls. Also there is always the possibility they move the walls back as a whole and not destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Something wrong here - Clongriffin to City Centre has a bus lane along its entire journey :confused:

On both sides of the road though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The bit between Fairview and Griffith Avenue is the real problem as there is only room for 3 lanes total so outbound has no bus lane. I imagine there might be some CPOing going on there.

Quick scour of google maps suggests the Malahide Road has bus/bike lanes both ways from Clare Hall to the Clontarf road, save for a big of a squeeze near The Goblet (Artane Village I think that is?) and the northeast side of the road near the Clontarf Road. The latter doesn't have a bus lane, but the houses do have gardens and either garages or space for a garage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Just noticed my house is on one of the routes, though I'm renting so will likely be gone before anything happens.

Do we know which zones will need to take over property? My road is quite wide, with a bus lane on the inbound side already. There's plenty of garden space on both sides.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we've suddenly got the balls to CPO gardens, Luas Line E needs to be resurrected post-haste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Hadn't seen this today. Absolute disgrace if it happens and a real sign we need to burn the place to yhe ground, or at least the bastards making the decisions. Enough is enough, people should not be giving up their property lightly

Any suggestions to increase bus speeds so?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Anything over stealing people's homes that they've bought anyway. Even bit speeding them up at all is preferable to that. What's this, ****ing Nazi Germany?

That's a no then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

because part of the new bus corridor plan is to provide segregated cycling infrastructure too, i'd guess, and someone decided that they were relevant. copenhagen is a red herring, i'd agree with you, but i wanted to address the point.

When they say segregated does it mean the cycle lanes going to be physically segregated from pedestrian areas?

• Advertisement

Advertisement