Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Village87

Athletically we are miles off the pace. We're strong but we're not powerful. We also look a poorly coached hurling team. Again, you can't fault the heart or effort but to be in 2020 and have lads on the field who can't ping a pass 20 yards is not on. From memory Ryan, Buckley, Fogarty and Murphy were guilty of some shocking misplaced passes. I've given Village a hard time about slating Fogarty the last few years but he looks exposed out there now. That last handpass from TJ should've been in his hand but he put the hurl to it and he was put in in the first half as well only for a shocking first touch.

Turning to Ger Aylward to chase the game is a massive indictment of the management team to be honest. Hasn't done a tap in a KK jersey since 2015 like.

How Murphy continued to go long in that 3rd quarter when we were getting murdered in the air is beyond me.

One of the biggest things is the complete lack of running off the shoulder by our midfield or half forward line. Wally ran through the middle with a few minutes to go and he had two lads outside who never made an attempt to get outside him. That's not on anymore.

A members opinion I love to observe. We have our disagreements but are blindly passionate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

If you want to see a bad underage period
    Look at the 5-6 years that preceded Cody's arrival
    Bleak

When Cody took over in 1998 there was a bunch of players in Kilkenny between the ages of 23 and 29 who had been involved in the winning of 3 All Ireland under 21 and 4 All Ireland minor titles. Rich enough pickings relative to the current situation. By the time 2006 came there was another 2 minor and 2 under 21 wins. Kilkenny might soon field a team with no All Ireland under 21 medallist. Different environment to what Cody inherited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

We bet ye pulling up........
    bit of humility wouldn't go amiss and I'm not a KK person, presume given the hour you've a beverage or 2 consumed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Stupid ignorant comment, KK have handed our arsed to us on a plate more times than I care to remember. A bit of grace and humbleness wouldn’t go astray...
    In any case, my heart rate and blood pressure around the 70th minute mark suggested it was anything but winning pulling up.

Hard luck yesterday lads and thanks for the well wishes. Any day your team gets high praise from KK folk shows you must have done something right so we take that as a huge compliment. Here’s to more great battles in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

bamayang wrote: »
    Was DJ Carey involved this year? Saw lots of articles, but never once saw him picked up on a camera. Even this eve, saw Cody Comerford and mcgarry loads of times, never saw Carey anywhere?

Gorta had an ear piece on him there you wonder was he in the stand but with an empty croke park he would be picked up. What is James McGarry role as a selector is he involved with the goal keepers or what he is there a long time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Stupid comment even if he was under the influence. I’ve experienced enough floggings at the hands of KK and not once did I have anything bad to say about the supporters, they’ve always been kind and fair in victory with Waterford fans.
    Unlucky yesterday, we played brilliant hurling in the second half, the best I’ve seen in 20 years. TJ was doing his best to keep ye in it, what a player.. if Shefflin is the King, Reid must be a god. It’s been a weird year, I wouldn’t press the panic button yet. I hope Cody stays around for another while cause I couldn’t imagine a KK team without him. Mind yerselves over the hols and we’ll meet again next year no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dk1982

Pipe down and stop embarrassing us with that rubbish ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

dk1982 wrote: »
    Pipe down and stop embarrassing us with that rubbish ffs

Ah wouldn’t get too bothered, happens every side and people get very emotional about GAA and their county! It’s a great feeling to win and win well.
    Waterford deserved that no question. Scoring in the second half was just relentless. If ever there was a game of two halves! I don’t think Kilkenny would have beaten Limerick or Galway as things are. This is kind of Kilkennys level at present, 4th or 5th team in the country and the result reflected that.
    Genuinely would love to see Waterford win- would be great for them, their loyal (and sometimes long suffering) fans. I think they can. Just a pity they can’t go to the bloody final now

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Great second half by Waterford. They hit some total in the second half. Nothing beats, a bit like Cavan in the football, in having a proper cut at it. In hurling now, you know a game isn't over even with 10 pts between the teams at half-time. You're just waiting on the comeback.

Regardless, this time last year, i.e. AISF, we were all celebrating beating Limerick. Put it into perspective lads, KK won the Bob O'Keefe and were in another semi-final, after last years final. Granted not the two outcomes but a great achievement, in my opinion, with the players available.

After a defeat, the lads are only too happy to come on here and give out over a missed pass here and there and name players. As if J.J. , or Tommy never made a mistake. The new thing nowadays is, new manager required after a defeat. Wasn't too many calling for Cody's head after the Leinster Final or at half-time yesterday.

KK will always be competitive. Winning the league a few years ago was an unreal achievement from that group of players, totally against what was expected.

Let it settle for a week, think it over and then see what you think. If it's the same, all well and good.

By the way, T.J. is unreal. I wonder will he get another All Star this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Great second half by Waterford. They hit some total in the second half. Nothing beats, a bit like Cavan in the football, in having a proper cut at it. In hurling now, you know a game isn't over even with 10 pts between the teams at half-time. You're just waiting on the comeback.

Regardless, this time last year, i.e. AISF, we were all celebrating beating Limerick. Put it into perspective lads, KK won the Bob O'Keefe and were in another semi-final, after last years final. Granted not the two outcomes but a great achievement, in my opinion, with the players available.

After a defeat, the lads are only too happy to come on here and give out over a missed pass here and there and name players. As if J.J. , or Tommy never made a mistake. The new thing nowadays is, new manager required after a defeat. Wasn't too many calling for Cody's head after the Leinster Final or at half-time yesterday.

KK will always be competitive. Winning the league a few years ago was an unreal achievement from that group of players, totally against what was expected.

Let it settle for a week, think it over and then see what you think. If it's the same, all well and good.

By the way, T.J. is unreal. I wonder will he get another All Star this year?

Was actually just thinking about the All Stars last night, would imagine TJ is a certainty even though the half forward line is probably the most competitive line on the team. I know guys can be accommodated elsewhere but at the moment you have Tony Kelly, Gearoid Hegarty, Stephen Bennett, Joe Canning and TJ all who would warrant a place who operate predominantly around that area.

I would imagine if he does get the nod he will be our only selection, Conor Delaney would probably be the only other with an outside chance due to the fact the corner back slots are not that competitive and he had a solid season.

Eoin Cody will probably get Young Hurler of the Year, the only competition i can think off the top of my head to him is Jake Morris and Robert Downey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Just thought I'd jump in and say I've never seen anyone as good as TJ in all my time

He might not get a celtic cross but enjoy the man while ye can

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Not sure of the voting process but TJ definately deserves an all star this year.

Not sure how many frees he won yesterday, missed maybe 1 and got a killer goal.
    Maybe it will be a shootout between himself and joe for the spot, Joes performance today may be the decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hurleyrebel

What a great game that was for the neutral. No matter what team Kilkenny put out, as usual it took a superhuman effort to beat yee.

At least TJ already has a bucket load of AI winners medals, which his legacy more than deserves.

For all of the concern amongst you Kilkenny lads about your current set up/possible dry spell, yee can take some solace from the fact, most counties are in a far worse situation. For example my own county Cork, are in dire straits. We believe that we do have the talent coming through but will never win anything, with the current management in place. It's basically the tail wagging the dog, as many of the current under-performing players have far too much player power. A shame really, as Patrick Horgan, who we rate as on a par with TJ, will never get to win the AI medal, his talent deserves.

A lot of Cork people would like to see an outsider come in, take over and clear out the clicks/those that should have been moved on a long time ago. A name that keeps cropping up is Eddie Brennan, would love to see it but highly unlikely to ever happen. Having said that, he was born in Cork, so he'd not be regarded as a total outsider!:D

What a great game that was for the neutral. No matter what team Kilkenny put out, as usual it took a superhuman effort to beat yee.

At least TJ already has a bucket load of AI winners medals, which his legacy more than deserves.

For all of the concern amongst you Kilkenny lads about your current set up/possible dry spell, yee can take some solace from the fact, most counties are in a far worse situation. For example my own county Cork, are in dire straits. We believe that we do have the talent coming through but will never win anything, with the current management in place. It's basically the tail wagging the dog, as many of the current under-performing players have far too much player power. A shame really, as Patrick Horgan, who we rate as on a par with TJ, will never get to win the AI medal, his talent deserves.

A lot of Cork people would like to see an outsider come in, take over and clear out the clicks/those that should have been moved on a long time ago. A name that keeps cropping up is Eddie Brennan, would love to see it but highly unlikely to ever happen. Having said that, he was born in Cork, so he'd not be regarded as a total outsider!:D

Ye are more than welcome to Eddie Brennan and if he leads ye to an All Ireland we will take him back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Was actually just thinking about the All Stars last night, would imagine TJ is a certainty even though the half forward line is probably the most competitive line on the team. I know guys can be accommodated elsewhere but at the moment you have Tony Kelly, Gearoid Hegarty, Stephen Bennett, Joe Canning and TJ all who would warrant a place who operate predominantly around that area.

I would imagine if he does get the nod he will be our only selection, Conor Delaney would probably be the only other with an outside chance due to the fact the corner back slots are not that competitive and he had a solid season.

Eoin Cody will probably get Young Hurler of the Year, the only competition i can think off the top of my head to him is Jake Morris and Robert Downey.

Callum Lyons a shoe in surely

What age is he? Is he eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

For example my own county Cork, are in dire straits. We believe that we do have the talent coming through but will never win anything, with the current management in place. It's basically the tail wagging the dog, as many of the current under-performing players have far too much player power.

But Cork changed manager for this year if the current management is the issue issue what about the last decade? What about zero underage success?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That's what I thought. 23. What's the criteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭davidx40

I don't think any other manager would come near getting what Cody does out of this group ....we are so ordinary in so many ways ....but I do genuinely feel if Cody goes it's very bleak future .....Henry or Eddie would be crazy to go anywhere near the job if he did ....we have a shambles of a county board led by our worst chairman in my lifetime ....

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Village87 wrote: »
    DJ and Cody had did not see eye to eye this year. DJ had to be diverted from walking away as he felt he had no influence on selection. The call from Cody to not include Micheal Carey in any panel did not help.

I can’t imagine Cody being easy to work with. I certainly wouldn’t want to. But I guess it’s that regimentedness that worked to a large extent.
    Of course nepotism should never enter the equation but so often does in life

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    But Cork changed manager for this year if the current management is the issue issue what about the last decade? What about zero underage success?

The current management team is back to the future. Wasn't good enough before and isn't good enough now. Kieran Kingston is a nice man but is a players yes man. Most people in Cork believe The Rock to be an out and out bluffer, who offers very little, if anything at all. Then there's Ger Cunningham, who is a very divisive character and his coaching methods are seen as quite primitive. His time managing the Dubs was an utter disaster.

About the lack of underage success, fair point but our development squads have been doing really well. We also have a lot of talent coming through from our under 20s, for the last couple of years (who were totally mismanaged by Denis Ring).

Most people in Cork want drastic change and we are casting rather envious eyes, at the amazing job Liam Cahill is doing at Waterford, all in a short space of time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

The current management team is back to the future. Wasn't good enough before and isn't good enough now. Kieran Kingston is a nice man but is a players yes man. Most people in Cork believe The Rock to be an out and out bluffer, who offers very little, if anything at all. Then there's Ger Cunningham, who is a very divisive character and his coaching methods are seen as quite primitive. His time managing the Dubs was an utter disaster.

About the lack of underage success, fair point but our development squads have been doing really well. We also have a lot of talent coming through from our under 20s, for the last couple of years (who were totally mismanaged by Denis Ring).

Most people in Cork want drastic change and we are casting rather envious eyes, at the amazing job Liam Cahill is doing at Waterford, all in a short space of time as well.

Cahill has serious talent to work with... talent that just mneeded direction.... Cork have loads of talent but they lack leaders... on the field and sideline.. kingston is no Cahill or Cody or Sheedy..... the Cork lads are all very very good hurlers but there is no forceful personality in em... someone like Shefflin or Jackie Tyrell is what they need....

Why are the KK lads so pessimistic about the future tho...??? there must be talent in the county and its not as if yere going to be relegated to the Joe McDonagh anytime soon.. still a top 4 team....

That's what I thought. 23. What's the criteria?

Only the two years overage so. Have to be under 21 at the start of the year. Probably something that needs to be looked at with the ever increasing physicality, athleticism and pace of the game it's becoming more and more difficulty for a lad 19 or 20 years of age to compete with lads 5 and 6 years older who have a number of years training and playing at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Takeyourpoints

Having watched the game again today, I think it's time Cody moved on. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but some of the hurling is archaic.

TJ is the best hurler I've ever seen, but in the second half, ball after ball was pucked down on him, where Jack Fagan had dropped back and won a few balls in a row. It comes back to the question of whether Kilkenny can think on their feet. Is hitting TJ the only option for Eoin Murphy?

I'm also struggling to think of Prunty getting the ball into his hand in the game. It's normally the sign of great defending that you've kept a man to a only a few points without even touching the ball, but I'm wondering if we got enough ball in at all. Two goals in the first half came from balls in on top of Richie and then we just seemed to stop hitting them in. I don't remember Ian Kenny touching a ball either on Billy Ryan. Why didn't we get ball into this dangerous full forward line.

When Colin fennelly came on, did we expect him to do anything without the ball. One long ball came in and himself or Brassil could have had a goal out of it, but again, we just seemed to hit it on TJ again.

Cody, Ryan, Hogan, Fennelly, these lads want the ball in front of them. Tactically we are miles behind other teams. It comes back to what people are saying on here, Kilkenny play 50/50 balls into the forwards, while Limerick, Waterford, Galway are playing 80/20 balls.

Cody is a firm believer in "win your own ball", but are those days gone? We don't have DJ, Henry, Eddie Brennan who can win their own ball anymore, and the style of play just needs to be redeveloped.

Best of luck to Waterford in the final, they're playing with a style that we, as onlookers, can only admire and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

First off well done to Waterford.After their poor start and poor shooting they stuck at it and powered home.Like the dublin game we were in control.The mossy substitution 3 minutes after time was definitely a strange decision.Joey and blanchfield getting a raw deal.
    Dont like pointing fingers at management but they got all the plaudits the last day when we won but how we didnt replace a defender or midfielder in that second half was shocking.Replacing the full foward line wasnt the answer.Leahys energy was a loss.
    I was reading the effort richie hogan has to go through to play for us.It will probably the last time we see him for kilkenny.Paul murphy will go as will fogarty they have served us well and all we can do is thank them for everything.
    We need an injection of pace into our team.David blanchfield,darren mullen are two that have plenty to offer.Adrian mullen will be a big help and eoin cody will gain from this like Donnelly has.

What's the overall swell of opinion about whether Cody should stay or go? 50-50 or thereabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

What's the overall swell of opinion about whether Cody should stay or go? 50-50 or thereabouts?

I think his course is ran and new freshness might be needed. He will be hard to replace whoever takes over the job.

carq wrote: »
    Not sure of the voting process but TJ definately deserves an all star this year.

Not sure how many frees he won yesterday, missed maybe 1 and got a killer goal.
    Maybe it will be a shootout between himself and joe for the spot, Joes performance today may be the decider.

Surely the semi-final teams will get 1 each, at least.

If so, T.J. is the only one from KK in with a shout in fairness.

He's on another level this year.

True, he's been excellent. A real find. Agressive on the ball too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

Calum Lyons surely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement