Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Comerman wrote: »
    The downhill freewheel started when Fogarty and Dempsy left the back room set up. Whatever happens in the dressing room at half time is a disaster twas like watching the Dublin game all over again. I was never a fan of the Cody out fans but it's time for change methinks. Best of luck to Waterford they were outstanding in the second half when KK should have put it to bed.

Don't know the ins & ouys like many of you but I always have thought losing those two was as bad as losing two top players. J. Donnelly, C. Delaney & of course TJ were our only real standouts. Tough one to take right now but congrats Waterford & hope you bring Liam back.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Waterford were absolutely brilliant
    I was worried even at half time by their pace and verve, just lacked composure
    We were very casual in first few mins of 2nd half and Waterford smelled blood

Our subs barely hit a ball between them

Your heart would bleed for TJ.
    We could have been incinerated but for him, the 2nd half was a one sided rout
    Donnelly was the only forward bar TJ who played well

Well done Waterford, it could well be their year, they really believe they can do it.

Hard Luck Kilkenny. Fought to the end.Thats a very fair assessment of the second half. If T.J wasn't there it could have turned nasty. Someone mentioned the lack of power but for me Kilkenny have a lack of pace and explosiveness and Waterford who arent huge won most of the primary possession.. Some of the Kilkenny backs were absolutely roasted . Its Waterfords day. Theres an element of shell shock that set in on 14 of the Kilkenny players including the goalie.. Limerick were on the ropes in their 3rd quarter v Waterford aswell and now we know how good Waterford really are. Kilkenny had no Kinnerk and no halfback line to roar into the game like Limerick had. Its all Waterford tonight. They have some talent.
    Alot of these young Kilkenny players have no All Irelands from minor up..Thats unusual for a kilkenny team. Its showing at the top level . I wouldnt be doing the post mortum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

End of an era for Cody? Fantastic manager but i think he has stayed 4 or 5 years too long. Don't think he will take KK any further at this stage. Eddie Brennan may get the nod?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I don't think that lad is from Kilkenny to be fair

I for one won't be bothered to explain it to you -

To be expected by Waterford. Flop on the big stage AGAIN

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115450817&postcount=2461

Kilkenny are going to win the All Ireland

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115450933&postcount=2481

Fairytale stuff. Its all over. KK V Limerick/Galway final

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115451001&postcount=2489

Why are all the Waterford players bouncing the ball on the ground off the hurley. Its pathetic.

Waterford are riddled with mistakes

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115451066&postcount=2491

:D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115450817&postcount=2461

Waterford are going to win the All Ireland

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115450933&postcount=2481

Fairytale stuff. Its all over. Waterford V Limerick/Galway final

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115451001&postcount=2489

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

KK are a one man band. Great fight as always but no forwards stepping up. Take TJ away and there isn't much left in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

Please Please no one Bite, Best team won and best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Congratulations to Waterford.. blew us out of it in the third quarter... well deserved winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Bob Harris wrote: »
    KK are a one man band. Great fight as always but no forwards stepping up. Take TJ away and there isn't much left in attack.

Kilkenny have fine forwards but lack direction. They don't know what to do when the immediate strike isn't on, there's no running off the shoulder no diagonals except for TJ. There is talent in the likes of Cody and yong Adrian Mullen and John Donnelly but Walter, Ger Awlward..offer so little. There has to be younger guys worth a spot on the bench. Even Blanchfield...whats he doing on the bench...hes never brought on.?
    Cody's interview told alot. First time I saw him in abit of shock. He won't do another year I dont think. But who knows ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

End of an era for Cody? Fantastic manager but i think he has stayed 4 or 5 years too long. Don't think he will take KK any further at this stage. Eddie Brennan may get the nod?

I think they could be a few nervous club men in Thomastown hoping Cody will stay on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

The pace Waterford have caused us some problems. They seem to walk away from our backs.galway win probably papered over a few cracks.
    Delaney. Donnelly and tj the standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭larrya

Think it’s fair to say Buckley, Fogarty and Hogan just don’t have it anymore.been great servants over the years but time moves on.
    No sign of Dj on the line.does he be in the stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hard to know if Shefflin, DJ, Eddie or a combination of the three would fare any better. I feel like Kilkenny are over achieving currently. Could be like ferguson or wenger leaving arsenal/United and turning out for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Well done Waterford. They were wonderful. Deserved winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

larrya wrote: »
    Think it’s fair to say Buckley, Fogarty and Hogan just don’t have it anymore.been great servants over the years but time moves on.
    No sign of Dj on the line.does he be in the stand?

They need him on the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

There's big, fundamental questions now for the county board to ask.

Is Cody really the man to develop us after 5 years of quite poor performances with some intermittent signs of quality and progression (and some admittedly great days like the league win and the Limerick win last year)?

Does bringing someone new in progress you enough tactically to counterbalance the possible loss of Codys ability to get the absolute maximum work ethic out of everyone?

Our development squads are failing in their objective which is to produce players for the intercounty team. And they have been for years now. There's clearly a massive issue with the coaching and development of our players. Whether that's with Kilkenny or the concentration of talent in Kierans and their singular drive for success - it's all part of it.

Like I said.... Big questions.

Waterford score 2-16 from play on the second half. 2-16. From play.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

There's big, fundamental questions now for the county board to ask.

Is Cody really the man to develop us after 5 years of quite poor performances with some intermittent signs of quality and progression (and some admittedly great days like the league win and the Limerick win last year)?

Does bringing someone new in progress you enough tactically to counterbalance the possible loss of Codys ability to get the absolute maximum work ethic out of everyone?

Our development squads are failing in their objective which is to produce players for the intercounty team. And they have been for years now. There's clearly a massive issue with the coaching and development of our players. Whether that's with Kilkenny or the concentration of talent in Kierans and their singular drive for success - it's all part of it.

Like I said.... Big questions.

Waterford score 2-16 from play on the second half. 2-16. From play.

Correct, let no one be fooled by final scoreline.

I texted a pal earlier to say I'd prefer a comprehensive beating to elicit change to a narrow loss

Well ignore the 4 pt margin
    That was an absolute rout in the 2nd half and every team in the country will have taken note

Unfortunately the quick turnaround into 2021 will likely see BC stay on and no one will say boo.
    They should, enough is enough, it's time for a change

There's only one way to know if the problem is the players or the coaching...

There's only one way to know if the problem is the players or the coaching...

Cody is past his sell by date. Highly successful manager but hes days are up and the players Kilkenny have now are no where as good as what they had from 2000 to 2015. The talent isnt there. They may not win the All Ireland for a while. Every successful county is going to get its famine. They are ranked about 5th at present i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭bamayang

Very disappointing loss. Have to say though, I would pay money to go watch John donnely puck around, he’s a magician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Kilkenny fell apart in the second half in 2 of the 3 match s, strength and conditioning surly issue, time for a major rethink overall,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

As a Waterford man its not often I get to say commiserations. Actually I don't think KK played bad at all in the game, I just think we gave a performance for the ages, one I've been waiting and hoping to see for a few years now. Its a solid KK team, one or two lads shoving on maybe but will be competitive for a few years yet. I'd say Cody will still think there is another AI there to be won and might give it a another year or two I'd imagine.. could Henry be the heir apparent to take over in 22 or 23?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

It's game over now Michael Walsh, not 15 minutes into the match this evening ,
    as you indicated during commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

As a Waterford man its not often I get to say commiserations. Actually I don't think KK played bad at all in the game, I just think we gave a performance for the ages, one I've been waiting and hoping to see for a few years now. Its a solid KK team, one or two lads shoving on maybe but will be competitive for a few years yet. I'd say Cody will still think there is another AI there to be won and might give it a another year or two I'd imagine.. could Henry be the heir apparent to take over in 22 or 23?

I think Henry will let someone else have the unenviable job of taking over from Cody.

Too much work to do, to much transition required to take it on, with the great likelihood that it will be a below-average haul.

Henry's time will come in time for the next period of domination.

I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2forjoy wrote: »
    It's game over now Michael Walsh, not 15 minutes into the match this evening ,
    as you indicated during commentary.
    not the 1st time he wrongly made such a proclamation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What was Babs saying? A pat on the back is 18 inches from a kick in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Terrible decision to take off Mossy and bring on Wally was one of the big turning points in this game. Waterford launched attack after attack from this wing in the 2nd half. Keoghan had an excellent first half and covered huge ground. Walter was stuck to the ground and we continuously rained lockouts down on him, none of which he won. Waterford were deserving winners and played a stunning second half but a poor performance by Kilkenny coaching team definitely contributed. I see that someone questioned Kilkennys strength and conditioning and that question needs to be asked given two second half collapses. I did hear at the start of the season that other counties dont rate our current S&C setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

citykat wrote: »
    What was Babs saying? A pat on the back is 18 inches from a kick in the arse.

tbh I expected ye to win pulling up from HT, I thought there might be a kick in Waterford in the 3rd quarter but then KK would reassert themselves going down the home straight and win by 8 or 9..thats the way it looked at HT anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would not be optimistic that Kilkenny will be competitive for at least another 5 years. Without TJ today, we would have lost by 12. He is not going to be around much longer and Richie Hogan, Fennelly, Fogarty, Wally, Aylward, Paul Murphy, Joey Holden may have played their last games and there does not seem to be much talent coming through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I think Henry will let someone else have the unenviable job of taking over from Cody.

Too much work to do, to much transition required to take it on, with the great likelihood that it will be a below-average haul.

Henry's time will come in time for the next period of domination.

I hope.

Majority of countries have troughs and peaks of success.....it’s looking like it’s now kk’s turn to have a ‘drought’ of titles.....unlikely to be for that long though....cork of the traditional top 3 have now gone 15 years without a title......Tipp went something like a 17/18 years without a cup in the 70’s /80’s....kk will have gone 5 come next season.....the current panel and performances would say this kk ‘recession’ could last another 3/4 years.......another cohort of players comparable to the quality during the 2004 to 2015 era could be decades away if that ever occurs again.....kk will remain competitive but not the ‘feared’ team they were.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement