Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

blackcard wrote: »
    I would not be optimistic that Kilkenny will be competitive for at least another 5 years. Without TJ today, we would have lost by 12. He is not going to be around much longer and Richie Hogan, Fennelly, Fogarty, Wally, Aylward, Paul Murphy, Joey Holden may have played their last games and there does not seem to be much talent coming through

TJ is a warrior, anytime he caught a ball out of the air I couldn't look at the television

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I would not be optimistic that Kilkenny will be competitive for at least another 5 years. Without TJ today, we would have lost by 12. He is not going to be around much longer and Richie Hogan, Fennelly, Fogarty, Wally, Aylward, Paul Murphy, Joey Holden may have played their last games and there does not seem to be much talent coming through

We won Leinster and lost out in the semis in a great match that went right down to the wire. We were in the final last year, does that not constitute us being "competitive"?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Actually enjoying the talk after a defeat for once. First off congrats to Waterford on a well deserved, great team win. Not a fan of your manager but a big fan of a number of your hurlers and best of luck in the final, pity ye won’t have your supporters up there. Full deserved win.

On Kilkenny well where to begin. Like watching the Dublin game again but this time we played a proper good side. The switch to start hogan over Fennelly didn’t work at all the first half would have suited Colin and Richie would have made a bigger impact off the bench, thought he was poor again, Colin didn’t move once when on. Were lucky to be up by 7 at half time but it should have been more.

Conor Delaney and John Donnolly were great and everyone else tried their hearts out but just wasn’t enough. I thought Buckley had a very good first half just a few sloppy passes in the second but gets unfair criticism in my eyes. Our route one game plan didn’t work because we were out fetched and out worked throughout. Our halfback line didn’t catch one ball. Their puck outs were much better. Continuing going long was suicidal for us.

Murphy had a shocker in the goal didn’t look confident one bit but he’s saved us enough times. I thought Paddy Deegan was very poor same with Conor fogerty. We missed leahy big time today around the middle. Liam blanchfield done well the last day and yet Ger Alyward who shouldn’t even be on the panel gets on ahead of him. Like Dublin we had the waterbream to regroup. That was their 3rd week in a row and looked miles ahead of us fitness wise and athletically for that matter. 1-2 for Eoin Cody a nice return. Brassil taking the one on Fennelly and missing was the chance. if he scored we had a small chance.

Would just like to point out the genius of TJ Reid again. The best I’ve ever see were the closest thing to a one man team I’ve ever seen. 1-14 himself and set up I don’t know how much. Feel sorry for him. Best hurler in the country, works the hardest ever game and is given no help when the going gets tough. I’d say a few will retire. Time for the Mullens and younger lads to be given a proper chance. Just thinking about what Richie Reid could have done with the ball deegan got on today and he wouldn’t have given up much more scores.

Hugely disappointed but we gave our all and came up short. Quick turnaround into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The_Ghost wrote: »
    Actually enjoying the talk after a defeat for once. First off congrats to Waterford on a well deserved, great team win. Not a fan of your manager but a big fan of a number of your hurlers and best of luck in the final, pity ye won’t have your supporters up there. Full deserved win.

On Kilkenny well where to begin. Like watching the Dublin game again but this time we played a proper good side. The switch to start hogan over Fennelly didn’t work at all the first half would have suited Colin and Richie would have made a bigger impact off the bench, thought he was poor again, Colin didn’t move once when on. Were lucky to be up by 7 at half time but it should have been more.

Conor Delaney and John Donnolly were great and everyone else tried their hearts out but just wasn’t enough. I thought Buckley had a very good first half just a few sloppy passes in the second but gets unfair criticism in my eyes. Our route one game plan didn’t work because we were out fetched and out worked throughout. Our halfback line didn’t catch one ball. Their puck outs were much better. Continuing going long was suicidal for us.

Murphy had a shocker in the goal didn’t look confident one bit but he’s saved us enough times. I thought Paddy Deegan was very poor same with Conor fogerty. We missed leahy big time today around the middle. Liam blanchfield done well the last day and yet Ger Alyward who shouldn’t even be on the panel gets on ahead of him. Like Dublin we had the waterbream to regroup. That was their 3rd week in a row and looked miles ahead of us fitness wise and athletically for that matter. 1-2 for Eoin Cody a nice return. Brassil taking the one on Fennelly and missing was the chance. if he scored we had a small chance.

Would just like to point out the genius of TJ Reid again. The best I’ve ever see were the closest thing to a one man team I’ve ever seen. 1-14 himself and set up I don’t know how much. Feel sorry for him. Best hurler in the country, works the hardest ever game and is given no help when the going gets tough. I’d say a few will retire. Time for the Mullens and younger lads to be given a proper chance. Just thinking about what Richie Reid could have done with the ball deegan got on today and he wouldn’t have given up much more scores.

Hugely disappointed but we gave our all and came up short. Quick turnaround into next year.
    what do you have against Liam Cahill?

what do you have against Liam Cahill?

Just from the interviews he’s done and how he is on the sideline. Very good manager tho no doubting that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Just from the interviews he’s done and how he is on the sideline. Very good manager tho no doubting that

Could you clarify here? What about his interviews? Any I have seen have appeared quite innocuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

cork of the traditional top 3 have now gone 15 years without a title...

kk will have gone 5 come next season.....

Assuming the same counting system for these counties Kilkenny will have gone 6 years come next season. Taking a rough measure as a guide of possible progress neither Cork nor Kilkenny have won the Under 20/21 championship for 12 years. The probable All Ireland finalists Limerick and Waterford have won 3 or the last 5. So Cork/Kilkenny are both drifting in the same manner maybe.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Could you clarify here? What about his interviews? Any I have seen have appeared quite innocuous.

Think it was the one after the limerick game can’t remember what exactly he said but that along with how he acts on the line. If Davy done it everyone be giving out but it seems to help his players so why not I Spose. Just not a fan of it.

dirtyden wrote: »

Cahill is very humble and respectful in interviews, now that could be a mask he wears and is very steely character in reality, you could say the same about Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Think it was the one after the limerick game can’t remember what exactly he said but that along with how he acts on the line. If Davy done it everyone be giving out but it seems to help his players so why not I Spose. Just not a fan of it.

He has made some job of Waterford... seems to be a very straight and direct guy but allows his players to express themselves... doesn’t have them tied down to a system of playing that didn’t suit them like the guy with small man syndrome that was there before him.... I never thought much of him as a leader/manager and Waterfords performances this year have shown that I was right... he set them back years

• Advertisement

He has made some job of Waterford... seems to be a very straight and direct guy but allows his players to express themselves... doesn’t have them tied down to a system of playing that didn’t suit them like the guy with small man syndrome that was there before him.... I never thought much of him as a leader/manager and Waterfords performances this year have shown that I was right... he set them back years

Derek McGrath did bring them to an All Ireland final which they lost narrowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

Looking at our so called great subs bench, the only forwards brought in when there was half a chance to salvage the game were Wally, Colin and Aylward, Colin didn't touch the ball, wally couldn't rise the ball with 3 attempts and Aylward got a warning from the ref after 5minutes (as usual) Brazzo was on for 2 minutes and almost had a goal. And why Blanchfield wasn't put in before any of the first three mentioned is beyond me. P

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Comerman wrote: »
    Looking at our so called great subs bench, the only forwards brought in when there was half a chance to salvage the game were Wally, Colin and Aylward, Colin didn't touch the ball, wally couldn't rise the ball with 3 attempts and Aylward got a warning from the ref after 5minutes (as usual) Brazzo was on for 2 minutes and almost had a goal. And why Blanchfield wasn't put in before any of the first three mentioned is beyond me. P

Why Aylward is still on the panel baffles me, has done nothing in years and is always liable for a red card as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

blackwave wrote: »
    Why Aylward is still on the panel baffles me, has done nothing in years and is always liable for a red card as well.
    As I said, within 5 minutes he was cautioned

Derek McGrath did bring them to an All Ireland final which they lost narrowly.

Galway were comfortable enuf winners that day...

Galway were comfortable enuf winners that day...

There was literally the puck of a ball in it!

There was literally the puck of a ball in it!

True there was only 3 points in it but Galway were full value and were comfortable enough in the match. I don't subscribe to all the Derek McGrath hating that exists in other Waterford supporters. He won a league, got to an AI final, ran KK to a replay in another semi and blooded a lot of players we saw today. He did a decent job overall but probably wasn't the man to bring us to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kk.man

Well done Waterford well deserved.
    Taking off Donnelly was a mistake I been on about Wally all year. Taking off Hogan a mistake he would have been where Brazel was for the goal but these are the margins.
    Where we really lost it was thru our half back line or diamond in the 2nd half we had no answer when we were opened up.

Sorry Takin off Mossy not Donnelly

True there was only 3 points in it but Galway were full value and were comfortable enough in the match. I don't subscribe to all the Derek McGrath hating that exists in other Waterford supporters. He won a league, got to an AI final, ran KK to a replay in another semi and blooded a lot of players we saw today. He did a decent job overall but probably wasn't the man to bring us to the next level.

Thought he did a very good job with Waterford but it just ran it's course. Met him at the Tony Forristal down in Waterford 4 years ago and you will struggle to find a more knowledgeable, humble and decent man!

kk.man wrote: »
    Well done Waterford well deserved.
    Taking off Donnelly was a mistake I been on about Wally all year. Taking off Hogan a mistake he would have been where Brazel was for the goal but these are the margins.
    Where we really lost it was thru our half back line or diamond in the 2nd half we had no answer when we were opened up.

Donnelly wasn't taken off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Totally agree on Blanchfield. He must have looked at Aylward, Alan Murphy, Wally even Brassil coming on and shook his head.

Eoin Murphy had probably his works game, in fairness he has saved us on many occasions. Our midfield was non existent. Fogarty has served us well but is a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.

For 20 years, we have had DJ, then Henry and then TJ as the leader of our attack. There is no one of the caliber of these players on the horizon

I don't think any manager other than Cody would have won 4 All Irelands in the last decade. Tipp had better teams than us in 2011 and 2014, Galway had better players than us in 2012 and 2015. I don't think any manager other than Cody would have got us to and All Ireland Final last year. He has been the best manager ever but I am afraid his time has finally come.

Totally agree on Blanchfield. He must have looked at Aylward, Alan Murphy, Wally even Brassil coming on and shook his head.

Eoin Murphy had probably his works game, in fairness he has saved us on many occasions. Our midfield was non existent. Fogarty has served us well but is a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.

For 20 years, we have had DJ, then Henry and then TJ as the leader of our attack. There is no one of the caliber of these players on the horizon

I don't think any manager other than Cody would have won 4 All Irelands in the last decade. Tipp had better teams than us in 2011 and 2014, Galway had better players than us in 2012 and 2015. I don't think any manager other than Cody would have got us to and All Ireland Final last year. He has been the best manager ever but I am afraid his time has finally come.

No shame in that... bit like Mickey Harte it’s just impossible for Brian to have the same hunger as 10-15 yrs ago... still a great manager... extracting every last drop from KK team even tho the talent is not what it was.... one thing that surprised me bout Kk was the way they panicked in last 5/10mins... fumbling balls stray passes just so unkilkenny like...

If Brian decides to walk away I presume King Henry will get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

You were doing ok up to the last paragraph then you lost the plot
    15 is the only year that fits into that narrative. No doubt we are in a taill spìn this evening but Waterford in the second half were excellent. We have a rebuilding job on our hands but we will have to do it on the run
    Because we will still be better than half the teams and will still be getting to simi finals .I no most of the club teams in the county and is there anyone outside the panel to include.

Sorry thought Cody got the goal not Mossy. Getting as mixed up as the commentators did at times. Think I heard Richie power mentioned once.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Would prefer to see Cody walk for his own legacy and sense of respect rather than anything to do with what he can or can't do with this group of players. TJ is our last in the line of magic players and there just isn't anything like him or DJ/Shefflin/Tommy/JJ etc coming through as can be seen with the underage results.
    On the flip side, we all love days like beating Limerick last year and Galway a few weeks ago, and NOBODY will command that respect and spirit that he brings. We're goosed for a while you'd have to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

It was hard to believe that Blanchfield did not get a run the way he hurled the last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Donnelly, Delaney, Adrian Mullen, Darren Mullen are quality hurlers
    Cian Kenny, Conor Kelly, Ciaran Brennan, Cody and Brassil are real prospects
    And of older players who may yet have big inter-county careers that we didn't see today
    Leahy, Blanchfield and Richie Reid (I seriously do not know how anyone could pick Fogarty or Buckley ahead of Reid on 2020 club form)

There are plenty of good hurlers in Kilkenny

We haven't been great at u21/u20 but only Galway could claim a better record than us in the past 6-7 years at minor and schools
    And our club scene is very strong with perhaps the strongest club side in history out ahead (as they would be in any county)
    If we are total ****, how could we only have two reps from probably the strongest club team in history?

We are well ahead of Waterford, Clare, Wexford, and even Limerick at underage over the last few years.

Waterford and Limerick are mining almost exclusively from one or two topo class underage teams, but we have produced consistently more quality underage teams than either

Despite losing the last two minor All Ireland we beat both the Munster champions and beaten finalists in each year.

I'm not suggesting a golden crop but people need to cop on a bit with "the well is dry, we aren't producing hurlers"

If you want to see a bad underage period
    Look at the 5-6 years that preceded Cody's arrival
    Bleak

We do seem to have an issue between 18-21 but denied a championship this year, we don't know for sure
    But I saw a lot of Fitzgibbon this year and Kilkenny players were very prominent and no way were they inferior in strength or conditioning 10 months ago

The main problem is where it wasn't for 16-17 years, the senior set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Yes I think there's plenty of talent especially in the schools and even minor. Theres certainly a huge hole at the under 20 age bracket where Kilkenny are hardly ever in the top three. I think its there where the Munster teams pull away. They have superb programmes . In Limericks case I dont even think they push winning at minor or below that hard. They put proper programmes in place and if the guy has the talent he won't lack speed, strength or tactical nous. He ll be ready to slot in. What is lacking though is speed in Kilkenny...break neck speed

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

Was DJ Carey involved this year? Saw lots of articles, but never once saw him picked up on a camera. Even this eve, saw Cody Comerford and mcgarry loads of times, never saw Carey anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Village87

bamayang wrote: »
    Was DJ Carey involved this year? Saw lots of articles, but never once gsaw him picked up on a camera. Even this eve, saw Cody Comerford and mcgarry loads of times, never saw Carey anywhere?

DJ and Cody had did not see eye to eye this year. DJ had to be diverted from walking away as he felt he had no influence on selection. The call from Cody to not include Micheal Carey in any panel did not help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement