Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

If this was a boxing match then we are on ropes and the bell has just gone for the end of the round.

We are being totally dominated at the moment

Panic stations at the moment, nothing sticking for us in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Better team won. Well done Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Very worrying how you throw away a 7 point lead and look the fitter team at the end, very disappointing to be honest. There seems to be no plan b when other teams get on top. Too heavily reliant on TJ and heads seem to drop when other teams get on top for a side that's won all irelands and got experience it's frustrating there backside fell out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Very hard to describe kilkenny hurling at the minute
    Cannot fault their effort but they just dont have the flamboyant powerful hurlers that are other counties have

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lets call a spade a spade, we are a very limited team. Look at who we brought on, Walter, Colin and Ger Aylward. Very limited players. Richie Hogan won't be here next year, T.J another year older.
    Where is our talented skillful players gone?We haven't had a new TJ or Richie since those players arrived back in late noughties.
    Kilkenny hurling is in a dark place at the moment. Unless we have some seriously talented underage players coming, we could end up like Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ClubFirst

Time for a new voice in that Kilkenny dressing room!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

C__MC wrote: »
    Very hard to describe kilkenny hurling at the minute
    Cannot fault their effort but they just dont have the flamboyant powerful hurlers that are other counties have

I wouldn't say power hurlers I'd say more a lack of gameplans and tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade, we are a very limited team. Look at who we brought on, Walter, Colin and Ger Aylward. Very limited players. Richie Hogan won't be here next year, T.J another year older.
    Where is our talented skillful players gone?We haven't had a new TJ or Richie since those players arrived back in late noughties.
    Kilkenny hurling is in a dark place at the moment. Unless we have some seriously talented underage players coming, we could end up like Cork.

Thought Wally did ok and tried hard at least, but Ger and Colin did nothing when brought on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reademandweep

Subs didn’t have any impact. Keoghan doing well, mid field well beaten, and they took him off. That change didn’t help the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Garyp88 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say power hurlers I'd say more a lack of gameplans and tactics

Tactics are sort of a mishmash but does veer towards the high hanging ball. However, we do lack the sort of power and dynamism of a Gillane or a Colcannon. Can't complain about the result we let them get on top far too much after halftime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Think Buckley is very overrated personally. Looks great bursting out from the half back line but gives away possession more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Too angry to assess that properly but I’ll say this...

You’ll be hard pressed to see any other team whipping their top scorer from play after 40 minutes for a lad who has done f*ck all in the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Have nothing against brassil he’s a good young hurler. But has he ever played corner forward for his club or underage with Kilkenny? Just doesn’t look like a natural scorer. Feel like he’s being played out of position. Bringing ger aylward was very questionable hasn’t hurled for Kilkenny since 2015

Athletically we are miles off the pace. We're strong but we're not powerful. We also look a poorly coached hurling team. Again, you can't fault the heart or effort but to be in 2020 and have lads on the field who can't ping a pass 20 yards is not on. From memory Ryan, Buckley, Fogarty and Murphy were guilty of some shocking misplaced passes. I've given Village a hard time about slating Fogarty the last few years but he looks exposed out there now. That last handpass from TJ should've been in his hand but he put the hurl to it and he was put in in the first half as well only for a shocking first touch.

Turning to Ger Aylward to chase the game is a massive indictment of the management team to be honest. Hasn't done a tap in a KK jersey since 2015 like.

How Murphy continued to go long in that 3rd quarter when we were getting murdered in the air is beyond me.

One of the biggest things is the complete lack of running off the shoulder by our midfield or half forward line. Wally ran through the middle with a few minutes to go and he had two lads outside who never made an attempt to get outside him. That's not on anymore.

We definitely play a more rudimentary style than others.

We are chronic in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Waterford were absolutely brilliant
    I was worried even at half time by their pace and verve, just lacked composure
    We were very casual in first few mins of 2nd half and Waterford smelled blood

Our subs barely hit a ball between them

Your heart would bleed for TJ.
    We could have been incinerated but for him, the 2nd half was a one sided rout
    Donnelly was the only forward bar TJ who played well

Well done Waterford, it could well be their year, they really believe they can do it.

We play a lot of passes with the stick that would be far better suited to a hand pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

We definitely play a more rudimentary style than others.

We are chronic in midfield.

Missed Leahy in there today but there's definitely a need for a more fluid style of hurling. Movement of our forwards was really poor.

When you look at how much space was down our wings for the puck outs it's woeful. Where are our midfield and wing forwards ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Initial thoughts...

Waterford were immense in the second half and deserved to win because of that performance.

We lost the game in the third quarter of the game. I don't know what happened to us exactly. Our forwards and midfield were totally and utterly dominated in that period. The backs could only do so much when they were under that much pressure.

Full-back line of Walsh, Delaney, and Lawlor played very well today and be proud of their performances.

The lads kept going until the final whistle. We take that for granted here in Kilkenny but it should be commended. A lot of other teams would have thrown in the towel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

Simple thing was we were out fought all the way through that second half and Waterfords momentum was massive! That's what usually gets us over the line in recent years but we have no complaints tonight.beter team won

I think Buckley is a good example of our problems. Athletically he's nowhere near what he used to be. For the amount of ball he gets on he never drives forward. You know he is either going to deliver it or go sideways to someone outside him. So our centre back and two midfielders are zero threat on the ball. That's a MASSIVE issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Waterford had plenty of chances in the first half but lacked a bit of composure, we were flattered to be up by so much at half time.

Jesus, that second half was tough viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Shocking decision to take off Keoghan for Wally. Keoghan hurled very well in the first half and his work rate was excellent. Huge amount of Waterford attacks launched from that wing in the 2nd half and then we continued to rain high ball on that wing which we won none of until TJ caught a few late on. I know one change probably wasn't the losing of the game but it was certainly a huge contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

I think Buckley is a good example of our problems. Atheltically he's nowhere near what he used to be. For the amount of ball he gets on he never drives forward. You know he is either going to deliver it or go sideways to someone outside him. So our centre back and two midfielders are zero threat on the ball. That's a MASSIVE issue.

Massive problem is Wally coming on as 1st sub when we in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

The downhill freewheel started when Fogarty and Dempsy left the back room set up. Whatever happens in the dressing room at half time is a disaster twas like watching the Dublin game all over again. I was never a fan of the Cody out fans but it's time for change methinks. Best of luck to Waterford they were outstanding in the second half when KK should have put it to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

Waterford just have more natural hurlers and better athletes.....saying it with long time I don't think Wally would be on any other of the top 4/5 teams panel no matter a regular starter ....Ger Aylward I just can't explain how's he there ....were years behind underage with the whole athlete development ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Waterford by far the better team, outstanding by TJ. Team tried hard but just not good enough. Best of luck to Waterford but very very lucky that Barron didn't get a red card

I wonder if Brennan's phone will be ringing over the next while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

blackcard wrote: »
    but very very lucky that Barron didn't get a red card

Come on now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement