Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Grats wrote: »
    Of Hitler?

* hurler?

Good luck to the boys tomorrow.
    Just do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

As a wexford supporter I can confirm every championship game against us sense 2017 Cody has picked a dummy team

Personal opinion I'd keep richie til the last 20 mins, I think 1 of Wally or Fennelly will start but not sure which one of them

As is often said ‘There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see’......Cody is the purist of pure gaa men, a traditionalist to the core....he would never engage in any sort of deception or underhand tactics...?

The most likely outcome is a kk 8 pt plus win......the deise lads have only beaten kk once in 60 odd years.....the mere sight of the black and amber jersey results in almost immediate confidence depletion and ‘soiling of shorts’ Before a ball is even thrown in...!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Was always going to be difficult to pick .Big calls made but staying true to the mantra performance gets you picked. 2 angry big men inthe stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    As is often said ‘There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see’......Cody is the purist of pure gaa men, a traditionalist to the core....he would never engage in any sort of deception or underhand tactics...?

The most likely outcome is a kk 8 pt plus win......the deise lads have only beaten kk once in 60 odd years.....the mere sight of the black and amber jersey results in almost immediate confidence depletion and ‘soiling of shorts’ Before a ball is even thrown in...!
    think you're smoking something funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

What County are you from? You've insulted both counties there. I'm expecting a great game tomorrow and hoping kilkenny come out the winning side. I think goals will be the deciding factor.

• Advertisement

amber69 wrote: »
    What County are you from? You've insulted both counties there. I'm expecting a great game tomorrow and hoping kilkenny come out the winning side. I think goals will be the deciding factor.
    I think ye will win by 2 or 3 and Limerick will beat galway by 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭droppingball

As a wexford supporter I can confirm every championship game against us sense 2017 Cody has picked a dummy team

Actually famously did it against Waterford in 2016 springing Blanchfield

Personal opinion I'd keep richie til the last 20 mins, I think 1 of Wally or Fennelly will start but not sure which one of them

He regularly picks dummy teams these days but just think he is making a statement on this one and the lads will be ready to go when they come in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

You are only as good as your last game. This Waterford team dont seem to be afraid of anyone. I think this will be tight and if Waterford are level and on par at the 60 mins with Kilkenny they will do enough to win imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Actually famously did it against Waterford in 2016 springing Blanchfield

Ye are well used to dummy teams in Wexford with Davy I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This game is nicely set up for us if we are tactically smart. If Waterford don't put a man back it is a great day for Cody style hurling, you can bomb high ball on the full forward line, put tj in close to goal, and see what happens in the first twenty minutes. That full back line is shaky.

If they DO put a man back, it feels like it's fifty fifty whether we'll have an actual plan or not, given our track record, but looking at the half back line they are a great trio to have as a base for working ball up the channels. Deegan coming in center, you'd expect, will free up Buckley a bit. Would also like to see lawler get more freedom and put delaney fb, think Gleeson will be a tough ask tomorrow and could cause absolute havoc if he's let.

Every game is on the day and Waterford are serious business this year but we're at once a more settled team than the last few years and one with a few more strings to our bow and less predictability than was the case. I think we can scrape it by about three points. Waterford won't get the kind of space up front they got last day. I think they'll tighten up their own back lines but if we have any tactical preparation done we'll pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They are getting fierce confident.....

"This current Kilkenny team are poor enough let’s be honest. if Waterford have any designs on winning an All Ireland then they should be beating this Kilkenny team on Saturday evening."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

greenspurs wrote: »
    They are getting fierce confident.....

"This current Kilkenny team are poor enough let’s be honest. if Waterford have any designs on winning an All Ireland then they should be beating this Kilkenny team on Saturday evening."

Who are "they"?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Keep throwing out names of players you expect to have a ‘big one’ and eventually select the ‘one’.......v Galway was anyone suggesting ‘richie’ as the super sub that might ‘turn the games’ on its head....?

Richie must be delighted with a start. Fennelly will of course come on at some point. I just don't see the benefit of starting Hogan. He hasn't 70mins in his legs nor maybe 35..Fennelly could come on and do nothing where as if Richie was held in reserve and came on you could guarantee a few scores and impact. Walter must be completely off form.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

What an insult to put this up the morning of all ireland semi final the skill level might not be up to the team of the nougthies but as regards heart, commitment you have to be proud of them.

SteJer wrote: »
    Ye are well used to dummy teams in Wexford with Davy I suppose.
    Tipp did it last week, clare made 3 changes the last 2 weekends, Jim Gavin was renowned for it as Dublin football manager, it's very common in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tipp did it last week, clare made 3 changes the last 2 weekends, Jim Gavin was renowned for it as Dublin football manager, it's very common in fairness.

I always find it strange as to why the lineup has to be announced 24 hours before the match. Squad list yes but surely the lineup can wait until 90 minutes or two hours before starting time, it would remove the usage of Dummy teams and would stop a load of the crap associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

kksaints wrote: »
    I always find it strange as to why the lineup has to be announced 24 hours before the match. Squad list yes but surely the lineup can wait until 90 minutes or two hours before starting time, it would remove the usage of Dummy teams and would stop a load of the crap associated with them.

Traditionally the main reason is the match programme but like you say an accurate squad list should and could suffice.

Traditionally the main reason is the match programme but like you say an accurate squad list should and could suffice.

It's a valid point particularly as the GAA doesn't use a squad number list unlike football but at this stage with some of the farcical dummy squads we've had a number assigned to each player in the squad should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Really looking forward to the match now, I think we have a great chance but it will be very tough affair and we could easily come out of this on the wrong side of the result. Cahill is a very shrewd operator and will have identified some of our lads he feels they can exploit and put under pressure. As is Cody's want he will no doubt have done the same, I expect the team chosen to start. There is no great surprise to any of it if you've been watching Kilkenny. Leahy injured so Deegan in. Wally playing really poor replaced my Billy and no one can deny that Richie played better than Colin. Some maybe surprised to see Richie start but I'd be a big advocate of the best players and in form players start. If Richie can't last 70 minutes I don't think Cody would have him in the squad at all.

Waterford have some good and very good defenders but they also have a few that I think we can get after. If we get the right ball into full forward line we can create goal chances and I'd trust those 3 to take the chances they get. I think if we can get 3 goals today we won't be beat. Waterford will bring massive workrate, running and tackling we are the team that should be able to deal with and match this best. We should be much tighter at the back than what Waterford have faced (except against Limerick which they lost) but we need to be up to our best and better than we have been so far.

As a lad said to me out of the teams left who has the scope for the most improvement? I think we definitely have plenty of scope for improvement, I'm sure Waterford could play a little better but they have played to what I think is there max this year. I think it'll be different with a few players back they can go further. Can they match that max again for a 3rd week in a row I think they can but I don't know if they can sustain it for the full 70 with so little time to recover.

I think it's Kilkenny's to loose and if they do it'll likely be because we weren't ready for the sweeper which would be hugely disappointing but wouldn't be surprising. Hopeful but very aware it could go arseways on us.

Hon the Cats

Good start with the camogie team getting to the final beating Cork by 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Great start with the camogie girls winning.

Someone had pointed it out already on a different thread but what are RTE at stopping the clock during the water break when the referee didn’t?

They really need to sort that out.

Congrats to the camogie team for reaching the final.

Best of luck to the hurling team and management this evening. It still seems so strange watching the AI semi-final on the TV rather than being there at the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Hard to imagine someone managing to quote greenspurs post and come out with something more pathetic but here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Delighted for the camogie team, they finally got a bit of well-deserved luck
    Were under a lot of pressure in the last 15 mins but Cork hit a good few wides, then Kilkenny finally won a bit of ball in the last few mins to ride it out

Also some suggestion by Ger Canning that ref blew 2 mins early but no complaints from Cork so he may have been incorrect

Best of luck to the senior team
    I really haven't clue how we will go, we just cannot be fully confident based on the last two matches, but equally plenty of potential upside as well
    Waterford prob more certain of bringing performance but maybe not as much upside potential
    I really believe Tony Kelly masked dreadful weakness in Clare team this year, and once he got injured last week, there was only going to be one outcome.
    The style and verve Waterford displayed especially in closing 20 mins might therefore be getting bit too much credit.

We shall see

Shame no Adrian Mullen in subs, surely means even if we win there will be no appearance for the final.
    Disappointed also Darren not in the squad.
    He's a class player and I doubt any squad in the country wouldn't have him in their 26
    Hopefully we will see both flying for the county in 2021

I think the score flatters us a bit, there's not that much between the two teams. We've hit some poor wides from long range shots when the ball should have been played in to the forwards. But Waterford have hit some atrocious shots.

The positives are that we've got two goals and look very dangerous. We're mixing up short and long passes. Buckley is doing fantastic as the spare man at the back and the full-back line have been very solid.

Waterford look dangerous when they run from the half-forward/midfield area. The key for us is to not concede goals... this is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Conor Delaney is nearly as good as JJ here....

Great half of hurling. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Our use of the ball needs to improve. But if we use the full forward line more we should be ok.

We are getting destroyed here at the moment

If we don't change things we are losing this game

• Advertisement

If this was a boxing match then we are on ropes and the bell has just gone for the end of the round.

We are being totally dominated at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement