Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican stand off at RTE Primetime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

That's not a fair debate then is it. Pat Kenny should be the host not pushing his own narrative to force an outcome. That's a stitch up.

Yea I think Cora was bait as RTE would not allow the No side representative to represent the No side.

The was an interview- not a debate. Did you hear it?

Its th journalists job in an interview to grill the candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mr.H wrote: »
    Hopefully not. Terminally ill people are going through too much mentally to make that choice.

You just come up with that yourself?

They will leagally challenge the result if they lose regardless- nominate some nobody to take an injunction against the result. They did it with the Childrens referendum and Marriage ref

fritzelly wrote: »
    As Leo said - why wait til now to bring up these constitutional amendment options, what were they doing the past 30 years.

And all the 'supports' that they keep banging on about providing for these women and children..

These were promised over 30 years ago..

It's an idealogical position and no amount of lies or disingenuous proposals is enough to serve it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If Leo is involved I'd say it's more a case of 'the thick plottens'...

How did you get Leo into it? His appearance on the RTE news was a bit of a sham. You don't run out of time with the Taoiseach before an important Q&A on the national airwaves. Again Neutral no win for either side.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    And all the 'supports' that they keep banging on about providing for these women and children..

These were promised over 30 years ago..

It's an idealogical position and no amount of lies or disingenuous proposals is enough to serve it...

So we didn't do it in the last 30 years so we shouldn't start now. Bit of a cop out from Leo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

pc7 wrote:
    No, I don't believe they've shown bias, I just wondered could this be what the no side are up too and would they have any case?

No case whatsoever. Any suggestion otherwise is b.s. and clutching at straws tbh.

Try_harder wrote:
    They will leagally challenge the result if they lose regardless- nominate some nobody to take an injunction against the result. They did it with the Childrens referendum and Marriage ref

They will fail a third time so if they challenge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

How did you get Leo into it? His appearance on the RTE news was a bit of a sham. You don't run out of time with the Taoiseach before an important Q&A on the national airwaves. Again Neutral no win for either side.

Leo Sherlock, brother of Cora, not Leo Varadkar.
    Founder of the inappropriately named Liberal.ie and Ireland's far-right Walter Mitty.

Maria is back in tonight.

No realised the folly of their ways? She is their best performer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

He's talking about Leo Sherlock, editor and story fabricator of theLiberal.ie, male model and man about town.

The plot thickens

From Cora

"Sherlock released a statement through her brother Leo's website The Liberal, saying "At no stage did I pull out of this debate. There's been a lot of noise today, but please don't worry about headlines."

Something we haven't been told?

Well why wasn't she on the show then? Or did she just simply forget to give her reasoning?

Try_harder wrote:
    No realised the folly of their ways? She is their best performer

Yet in an interview with Pat Kenny she came across as a clown.

lawred2 wrote:
    Well why wasn't she on the show then? Or did she just simply forget to give her reasoning?

I saw her claim on Facebook that she didn't pull out but they didn't explain why she wouldn't be debating. Strange.

So we didn't do it in the last 30 years so we shouldn't start now. Bit of a cop out from Leo

We should definitely start now.

But I don't see why it should be an either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maria Steen is not everyone's cup of tea. Frankly she was somewhat unwatchable last time, so I wouldn't blame RTE. They want people to watch, not throw the TV out the window!

Agreed she poses a serious health risk to peoples mental well being...

Well if RTE can dictate the line up then it sounds like RTE are playing politics?

Wouldn't be unknown... :pac:

It's fairly obvious that the NO camp were trying to pull a fast one here by switching the agreed candidate at the last moment, the fact that Sherlock has given a shred of a reason for her withdrawal makes it all fairly obvious. RTE called them out on it and fair play to them for it !!

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Yet in an interview with Pat Kenny she came across as a clown.

I can't find it only this one with Pat which I'd say is a year or so old, didn't come across as a clown https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Highlights/134406/Maria_Steen_of_the_Iona_Institute_on_abortion_drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

The plot thickens

From Cora

"Sherlock released a statement through her brother Leo's website The Liberal, saying "At no stage did I pull out of this debate. There's been a lot of noise today, but please don't worry about headlines."

Something we haven't been told?
    Ah yes, the Liberal. A bastion of truth :rolleyes: https://twitter.com/TheLiberal_x/status/977168376161325056
    This guy has done a wonderful dissection of the tactics employed by Leo

lawred2 wrote: »
    We should definitely start now.

But I don't see why it should be an either or.

If we had the proper things in place Abortion would be a lot easier sell as they'd have every opportunity not to abort so it would be a lot easier for people to say at least we tried.
    What was the figure there earlier, 5 adoptions last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Great. I love looking at and listening to Maria Steen

That comes across as a bit creepy.
    Pegmatite wrote: »
    Can you back up your claim that RTE is pro choice please. Can you provide some examples please.

As best I can perceive, RTE have bent over backwards for the No side on this issue. They have erred on the side of giving that side of the argument more coverage. Likely because the pro life groups have plenty of legal help and are quick & efficient to complain about bias.

Even this morning, it was notable that they got this issue covered on the main morning RTE news. All publicity.

I can't find it only this one with Pat which I'd say is a year or so old, didn't come across as a clown

I can't link articles off my phone. Maybe it's on the NT podcast. She was interviewed by Kenny last week. A career awaits her in the Big Top if she ever quits the Iona Institute.

If we had the proper things in place Abortion would be a lot easier sell as they'd have every opportunity not to abort so it would be a lot easier for people to say at least we tried.
    What was the figure there earlier, 5 adoptions last year.

A functioning adoption system would be wonderful for many reasons.

While I would be a yes voter I don't see repeal of the eighth or abortion as a reason not to seek to put such measures in place. Women and their babies should be supported and helped in these situations in whatever they feel that they need to do. If there were a real suite of options available to women then each and every one of them could make the right decision for themselves. They might still take the decision to abort but that would be their decision.

This is Ireland though so we're more likely to go from no abortion with little support to liberal abortion with little support.

I think it worked out better for the antis in the end though. IMO toibin is by far their most effective salesman to undecided voters. Very smooth, very plausible, not a hint of the bead rattler about him. If he had some ionabot alongside him it would just have queered the pitch, as it were...

Not really, Toibin was using the debate to take a few cheap shots at Harris and the government, came across as quite scummy in that regard, wasn't the time or place for that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Guys, we're veering into discussing the 8th again and not discussing the show. Unless this discussion goes back to talking about Primetime, I'm going to lock this thread.

That's not a fair debate then is it. Pat Kenny should be the host not pushing his own narrative to force an outcome. That's a stitch up.

Yea I think Cora was bait as RTE would not allow the No side representative to represent the No side.

Doesn't really scream integrity for the NO side though does it. If RTE/Harris wouldn't let them field Steen again I would have thought they would have went public with that with glee to force the issue rather than try to pull a fast one on RTE at the last minute and Cora unable to provide any cogent explanation.

It was either a profound tactical error by the NO camp or your theory is BS.

You're really working hard to construe last night's no show by Sherlock for no given reason as anything other than a balls up for the no side.

Especially after baiting Harris for hiding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Spoke to a friend who was in Leinster House last night. An hour before the show, an irate Senator Mullins was seen frantically pacing the corridors on his phone. Not a happy chappy.

Cora pulling out seems to have seriously backfired.

Any sign of an explanation from the No campaign? Pat Kenny didn't mention it on his radio show today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement