Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican stand off at RTE Primetime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Fann Linn wrote:
    Well Mr. Harris ye were very slow in answering questions in relation to the cervical cancer scandal.

He answered when he found out about it. Although I don't see the connection. Sherlock has been goading him for months to debate. He agrees and she pulls out. Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Berserker wrote: »
    Well, if you watch them, you see it pretty clearly. I'd suggest that you detach yourself from the emotional aspect of the debate. Lots of Irish people seem to struggle with this.

Can you just give me examples of bias from the debates. I dont think they are on the RTE player anymore.

And you are pretty insistent there is a bias, so it shouldn't really be a problem giving me examples.

Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

It's de facto on request/ elective abortion in the UK, why deny it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I can't wait to turn on the radio or TV and not hear anything about this

Is this going to become another abortion thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It least I will have one thing to look forward to after the YES side inevitably win - Mattie McGrath and the Healy Raes blocking the legislation in the Dail

The same PBH who had one of the best series of interviews with people from both sides of the debate over the last few months?

The same PBH that grills pro life callers to Liveline and gives pro choice callers free reign

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Ally Dick wrote: »
    It least I will have one thing to look forward to after the YES side inevitably win - Mattie McGrath and the Healy Raes blocking the legislation in the Dail

Wimmins things...... I bet the drink driving is their main focus for now

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think there should be another referendum on it every 25 years regardless of result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

EPAndlee wrote:
    I can't wait to turn on the radio or TV and not hear anything about this

The only way to ensure this is to vote Yes. Otherwise, this issue will run and run.

• Advertisement

I think there should be another referendum on it every 25 years regardless of result.

The next referendum will be on legalising euthanasia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apologies if this point has already made, but I think it makes for a more coherent, focused debate just having the two guys up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'd say it must be real awkward in the studio during the ad break

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hopefully.

Ally Dick wrote:
    The same PBH that grills pro life callers to Liveline and gives pro choice callers free reign

Oh you mean fact checking, heard him on liveline yesterday. He called a caller out on several inaccuracies she made about the proposed legislation. Of course if you use verifiable fact you will get free reign as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ally Dick wrote:

There's no constitutional ban on euthanasia, so no need for a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Apologies if this point has already made, but I think it makes for a more coherent, focused debate just having the two guys up there.

That just sounds like you are happy no women are debating :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

No it wont, there is nothing in the constitution prohibiting euthanasia. It's a legislative issue.

If you can direct me to the relevant section of the constitution you are referring to that needs to be amended. Id love to see it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My dad's a former RTE producer, says this last minute withdrawal of a debate participant and trying to substitute with someone else is a well known and ancient tactic of disruption. Basically, there's a whole bunch of stuff which is prepared well in advance of these programs - the graphics and bios to introduce and label each participant being an obvious example - and while it's possible to redo all this at short notice, it's a massive pain in the hole particularly for the production team. So essentially, they're willing to do it in cases of genuine emergency or unforeseen circumstances, but they understandably get pissed off when political entities try to do it for strategic reasons at the last minute.

In this case, I'd imagine that their refusal to go along with Steen has nothing to do with her personally or how they feel about the issue, it's sheer "you're screwing us over by disrupting the production so close to the air time, for no legitimate reason, so you can go f*ck yourselves". Had Steen been nominated from the beginning, they'd be far less hostile to it, but this is more of a "you're not going to have us scrambling around to accommodate your petty sh!te with almost no notice, feck off".

tvc15 wrote: »

That just sounds like you are happy no women are debating :D
    No dearth if femininity with sh up there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

It would be a great thing for this country to discuss in a civilised manner, particularly for terminally ill patients. It might be more level headed than this abortion debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That doesn't need a referendum, thankfully.

Hopefully a government can have enough common sense to agree that if someone is suffering so much they feel they'd rather end their life on their own terms instead of letting some degenerative chronic disease slowly destroy them, we should allow them the dignity of that choice.

That depends on if they get the desired result on this one. If not they will proffer the same again in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Needs more whooping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As predicted, Harris is bloody useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The women pulled out to be fair to them.

Did the yes side pull out or drop out or did RTE force one or the other to drop out to even the numbers

fritzelly wrote: »
    The women pulled out to be fair to them.

Did the yes side pull out or drop out or did RTE force one or the other to drop out to even the numbers
    Dr. Mary Higgins was supposed to be on the stage afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She’s useless as well from what I’ve seen

• Registered Users Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well they could hardly let 2 yes against 1 no be on stage.
    Obvious ploy by the No side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hopefully you'll avail

What's wrong with euthanasia?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement