Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The horrific death of Ana Kriegel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Thank you. I voted for a one minute silence but the group in particular those who knew her wanted longer and that was why it was set as it was. Total strangers gave up two days of their time and rearranged many personal commitments to try to do some good, we would appreciate if people would recognise this in the spirit it was intended. There is a lot of good in the community and the page alone showed how much support there is for the family which hopefully will provide some small comfort.

I am not dis-respecting anything you do... a 3 minute silence is a very long time, a 1 minute silence is much more productive and appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thank you. I voted for a one minute silence but the group in particular those who knew her wanted longer and that was why it was set as it was. Total strangers gave up two days of their time and rearranged many personal commitments to try to do some good, we would appreciate if people would recognise this in the spirit it was intended. There is a lot of good in the community and the page alone showed how much support there is for the family which hopefully will provide some small comfort.

Betty Boo - as a local - I would like to acknowledge and thank the input from the community.

It was meant with good intention and I’m sure Ana’s family will receive solace from that goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

anewme wrote: »
    Betty Boo - as a local - I would like to acknowledge and thank the input from the community.

It was meant with good intention and I’m sure Ana’s family will receive solace from that goodwill.

Thank you very much. The message relayed from family contact today was they appreciated the effort and support so at least they know there are many people out there wanting to help and show love and support for them. Anyways this is not about us and I know folks on here want to talk about the situation more broadly so just wanted to clarify what happened so people had the facts. Thanks again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I drove past the site today going from Lucan to a friend in Clonee. Very sad sight knowing what happened in there. There were flowers there and a Garda car parked inside.
    A solitary woman stood there, head bowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭threetrees

Betty boo I think by taking the time to organise this you and the other organisers have demonstrated a deep feeling and concern. The turnout would have been huge and that also demonstrates how many people want to help in some way. Your work has not been in vain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I drove past the site today going from Lucan to a friend in Clonee. Very sad sight knowing what happened in there. There were flowers there and a Garda car parked inside.
    A solitary woman stood there, head bowed.

Was in Catherines park on Wednesday afternoon . Kids all playing and laughing and enjoying the sun . I feel so sad now that not far away Ana lay alone . May she rest in peace and her family find strength to cope and support each other

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

I guess that this somehow is a reflection on the society that we have become - where a murder was the story of the year (one murder that is) to not only an everyday story but one where juveniles are the players and victims.
    Time to roll the clock back - but that's probably impossible.....to misquote Madeline Albright...there's a special place for those who do things like this....a place called Hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This has echoes of the Bulger case, given the perpetrators are anticipated to be around her age. I feel so much sorrow for her family and anger that some people could do this to anyone, let alone an innocent teen girl. Given the seriousness of the crime, those found guilty should be denied the standard anonymity afforded to under 18 criminals.

Confey Community College Facebook page has been messaging support for her class and school colleagues if they need it. That’s a good show of strength and solidarity but I can’t even imagine what it’s like for parents of the kids in her class and the kids themselves due to turn up to school tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Type in Maddie to google and it auto-completes to Maddie McCann

True,But every article returned from that search names her Madeline, Bar that villagemagazine.ie article wakka12 posted below. But I don't exactly consider "Irelands political and cultural magazine" a reputable news source.
    Also not to be pedantic also, But I've never seen Madeline McCann referred to as anything but Madeline McCann.[/QUOTE

Really odd that you haven’t seen any references to Maddie NcCann.

Her parents Kate and Gerry also spoke out to the press at the time to correct them and say their daughters name was Madeline not Maddie, yet there are a huge number of references to Maddie.
    I was quite young at the time of her disappearance, Maybe that's something to do with it.
    wakka12 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Type in Maddie to google and it auto-completes to Maddie McCann

True,But every article returned from that search names her Madeline, bar that villagemagazine.ie article wakka12 posted below. But I don't exactly consider "Irelands political and cultural magazine" a reputable news source.

Really odd that you haven’t seen any references to Maddie NcCann.

Her parents Kate and Gerry also spoke out to the press at the time to correct them and say their daughters name was Madeline not Maddie, yet there are a huge number of references to Maddie.
    I was quite young at the time of her disappearance, Maybe that's something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Seems strange that detectives had to “trace” the two 13 year olds she was with on the day she disappeared rather than them coming forward to volunteer the information. The two 13 year olds who are “known to her”. I think the DNA evidence coming through will give everything they need to go for the arrest.

True,But every article returned from that search names her Madeline, Bar that villagemagazine.ie article wakka12 posted below. But I don't exactly consider "Irelands political and cultural magazine" a reputable news source.

Also not being pedantic but a lot of the headlines referred to Maddie, even after her parents spoke out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5048349/The-TWO-vital-Maddie-questions.html[/url

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

This is a thread about the horrific murder of young girl. Pedantic arguments about other people's names have nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭kingofclay

Is it just me or has this death not rocked the public like one would expect? Maybe occurring right at the end of the 8th amendment referendum has resulted in it going over a lot of people's heads. I honestly think her surname has a part to play in that. I think people do feel a disconnect if the surname isn't Irish. I heard she was Russian but adopted into a family but I'm guessing her parents/parent are German or something.

I think this is horrendous, it's so sad to think she was bullied and then her short life was ended in such a viscous manner. Life really isn't fair.

This is a thread about the horrific murder of young girl. Pedantic arguments about other people's names have nothing to do with this.

Apologies for off post.

I was replying to a post which questioning the press coverage at the time.

This is a decision though for moderators, rather than other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its been in the national headlines and all over social media, its been one of the most posted on threads on boards for the last few days, many friends and family Ive met over the last few days have been discussing the case. I think everyone is as shocked as you would expect from a case like this

Its been in the national headlines and all over social media, its been one of the most posted on threads on boards for the last few days, many friends and family Ive met over the last few days have been discussing the case. I think everyone is as shocked as you would expect from a case like this

I'm open to being corrected. I haven't being really talking to my family about current affairs as we have other stuff ongoing and I'm phoneless atm so out of loop on Whatsapp so I've just been processing it on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

kingofclay wrote: »
    Is it just me or has this death not rocked the public like one would expect? Maybe occurring right at the end of the 8th amendment referendum has resulted in it going over a lot of people's heads. I honestly think her surname has a part to play in that. I think people do feel a disconnect if the surname isn't Irish. I heard she was Russian but adopted into a family but I'm guessing her parents/parent are German or something.

I think this is horrendous, it's so sad to think she was bullied and then her short life was ended in such a viscous manner. Life really isn't fair.

Take your agenda elsewhere. This case has been shocking to anyone I've spoken to do. Nothing to do with her second name or ethnicity. A little girl is dead and I'm pretty sure the general public are treating it with the shock it deserves.

I have no agenda. I'm wrong, I just haven't witnessed the outpouring of grief that I'd expect but then like I say perhaps it's more due to my own circumstances since the news broke(In a bubble) Not sure what agenda you could be referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

She could have been anyone's daughter or sister, her name or ethnicity really doesn't matter.The poor girl must have suffered terribly it's heartbreaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,048 ✭✭✭✭unkel

thebull85 wrote: »

My apologies. That seems to be a weird case. All 4 Nigerians received suspended sentences when it seems to be a case of one girl being sexually abused by one or more of these Nigerians on several different occasions and dates?

Linky

Even if it was consensual sex (with many men) (the girl denies this), because she was only 14, by law would it mean raping a child? I am confused, I really do not understand this case. Why just suspended sentences so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

unkel wrote: »
    My apologies. That seems to be a weird case. All 4 Nigerians received suspended sentences when it seems to be a case of one girl being sexually abused by one or more of these Nigerians on several different occasions and dates?

Linky

Even if it was consensual sex (with many men) (the girl denies this), because she was only 14, by law would it mean raping a child? I am confused, I really do not understand this case. Why just suspended sentences so?

The media are a shower of bastards when it comes to stories like the one above. They give the age of the girl at the time of the incident and the age of the perps now.

It then looks like a couple of 21 year olds done the deed when in fact all the guys were 16 at the time. Therefore children themselves and it explains the suspended sentences.

They do it all the time.

The above is a criticism of the media. I'm not trying to condone what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

No, reporting and public reaction about the same because gardai are not looking for a "stranger" and the main suspect was known to her and was a child.

So its very much a case of sadness and understanding that a deranged killer is not on the loose that makes it less of a hysterical sensationalist story for the media.

Also as the main suspect is 13, he can't be named or identified in public, so even less interest for the hysterical media - and unless they can sensationalise something, they lose interest very very quickly. Remember, the "news" aspect of anything is very much secondary to any sensationalist headline when it comes to most of today's media

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Have they got someone for this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I have no agenda. I'm wrong, I just haven't witnessed the outpouring of grief that I'd expect but then like I say perhaps it's more due to my own circumstances since the news broke(In a bubble) Not sure what agenda you could be referring to.

To be honest I haven't picked up a paper, watched the news, talked to anyone, listened to the radio even in weeks, but I agree with you wholeheartedly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Poor Ana said to think that this all happened around this time last week I really hope the preliminary DNA results will leader to charges being brought although I see they are appealing for more witnesses to come forward.
    Between this and poor Jastine i’ve never known such a terrible 7 days for the murder of young girls in this countries history.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

goat2 wrote: »
    Have they got someone for this yet

I think two 13 year olds taken in for questioning and released

If it is them that did this horrific crime, what are they likely to get as minors, out by 18 or 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

absolutely not...there was a high profile murder hunt this weekend which took the media away for a while but myself and everyone I know are absolutely disgusted by this, and also her name or ethnic background certainly never crossed my mind.

Because of her age and that of the youths questioned, I think people are just wary of commenting. May she Rest In Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am pretty sure that this death and most murders of innocent people have shook the nation. The fact that another tragedy was unfolding at the same time probably had people talking about that more.

If this was the result of one or more 13 year olds beating her, I hope the Justice system deals with them more severly than the UK dealt with Jon Venables and Robert Thompson.
    I also have no doubt that when somebody is arrested, the public will show their feelings about it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement