Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The horrific death of Ana Kriegel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Does anyone know when this poor young lady's funeral is on? I live locally and would really like to pay my respects.

You could check a lot more places than here I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Does anyone know when this poor young lady's funeral is on? I live locally and would really like to pay my respects.

You could check a lot more places than here I would think.

Why do that? Lots of local people posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Its all alt right

I don't want to engage in speculation about the events.
    I hope it's not another case motivated by the incel ideology behind the Toronto attack.

C'mon dude. Not the place for this. smh

RIP to the young girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The poster said popular online with young men, not popular with young men.
    The inference was that it's an online thing. I had to Google it when I read it but it does seem to be a bit of a movement gathering pace with disaffected youth.
    Scary stuff. Don't think it's relevant here though but who knows
    Mod note: ^^^^This x 1000.

There is nothing in this case pointing anywhere in the general direction of the Incel ideology being in any way, shape or form involved in this case so the discussion of this ideology in this thread stops here!

Buford T.Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

for me to go to a funeral, they would have to be someone I know or am related to, otherwise, I feel awkward going in a room sympathizing with people I do not know, and if I did not know the deceased in this life, I dont know if I would attend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

goat2 wrote: »
    for me to go to a funeral, they would have to be someone I know or am related to, otherwise, I feel awkward going in a room sympathizing with people I do not know, and if I did not know the deceased in this life, I dont know if I would attend,

And to be very honest I am not sure that the family actually need randomers turning up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

In fairness you don’t have to go sympathizing with the family, you can stand at the back (or outside as it will probably be packed) and be part of the mass.

It’s a gesture of support from the local Community, no intrusion on the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It could have been anyone! Their origins are irrelevant. Just look at the Jamie bolger case. 2 young local kids.
    It reminds me a bit to the Jamie Bulger case.
    Suckit wrote: »
    On the surface, this is nearly the exact same way that Jamie Bulger was murdered.
    There were always people capable of this around. 1994 when we were 14 was around the Jamie Bulger time.
    ted1 wrote: »
    The two pricks who killed Jamie Bolger were something like ten.

I know this is possibly gonna come off as pedantic and I apologise if it comes over like that but it's been kinda grating the last day or two each time it's posted. The child's name was James, not Jamie. His parents called him James, never Jamie. I think it's just a bit more respectful to have his name correct when bringing the poor little fella up, not that any posters mean anything to the contrary of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There was a service in the centre of Dundalk for the young Japanese man who was brutally stabbed to death a few months ago. Thousands attended as a gesture of respect and the family were delighted.
    You don't have to know the deceased. You are expressing your support and sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Omackeral wrote: »
    I know this is possibly gonna come off as pedantic and I apologise if it comes over like that but it's been kinda grating the last day or two each time it's posted. The child's name was James, not Jamie. His parents called him James, never Jamie. I think it's just a bit more respectful to have his name correct when bringing the poor little fella up, not that any posters mean anything to the contrary of course.

Ok i see where you’re coming from but I was around when that happened and maybe it was a Liverpool thing but everyone seemed to call him Jamie in the media and news. Look how confusing it is with this telegraph article referring to him as Jamie but the body of text calls him James.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/02/08/jamie-bulger-mothers-story-review-unimaginable-trauma-handled/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Omackeral wrote: »

I actually never knew that about James being what he was normally called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

youd think gardai would have it sewn up by now,if they are dealing with a 13 yr old suspect! Crazy that theres no news yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

youd think gardai would have it sewn up by now,if they are dealing with a 13 yr old suspect! Crazy that theres no news yet

I think that there are fairly strict limits on the number of hours a child can be questioned for per day, they need to be accompanied etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

They are waiting on dna results. This has been well publicised in the media.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you want a quick result or a correct one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ok i see where you’re coming from but I was around when that happened and maybe it was a Liverpool thing but everyone seemed to call him Jamie in the media and news. Look how confusing it is with this telegraph article referring to him as Jamie but the body of text calls him James.

I know that. I'm just saying that his family have always and still refer to him as James. Jamie is another name entirely. Poor little guy was only a 2 year old, wouldn't even have been old enough to have outside friends to give him a nickname yet. I dunno, it's just stuck over the years but I just think it's a bit more respectful to go by what the family went by.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

anewme wrote: »

In fairness you don’t have to go sympathizing with the family, you can stand at the back (or outside as it will probably be packed) and be part of the mass.

It’s a gesture of support from the local Community, no intrusion on the family.
    Check rip.ie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/02/08/jamie-bulger-mothers-story-review-unimaginable-trauma-handled/

I can’t see Omackerals original post but thank God someone else has picked up on this and I dont feel so pedantic.

Every time I read Jamie Bulger I flinch and think of an interview Where his Mum Denise strongly said his name was James, not Jamie. she was quite vocal on that. The tabloids changed it to Jamie to make it childlike and cuter, therefore more scandalous.

They did the exact same with Madeline McCann, she was Madeline to her family not Maddy, or Maddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I can’t see Omackerals original post

Post 340
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107047518&postcount=340

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I can’t see Omackerals original post but thank God someone else has picked up on this and I dont feel so pedantic.

Every time I read Jamie Bulger I flinch and think of an interview Where his Mum Denise strongly said his name was James, not Jamie. she was quite vocal on that. The tabloids changed it to Jamie to make it childlike and cuter, therefore more scandalous.

They did the exact same with Madeline McCann, she was Madeline to her family not Maddy, or Maddie.

Also not to be pedantic also, But I've never seen Madeline McCann referred to as anything but Madeline McCann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Its all alt right

Also not to be pedantic also, But I've never seen Madeline McCann referred to as anything but Madeline McCann.

Type in Maddie to google and it auto-completes to Maddie McCann

Also not to be pedantic also, But I've never seen Madeline McCann referred to as anything but Madeline McCann.[/QUOTE

Really odd that you haven’t seen any references to Maddie NcCann.

Her parents Kate and Gerry also spoke out to the press at the time to correct them and say their daughters name was Madeline not Maddie, yet there are a huge number of references to Maddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's a bit shocking that the main suspect(s) in this case is denying all knowledge of the murder.

No tearful confession would suggest that this wasn't some unfortunate incident between peers that spiralled horribly out of control, but that the individual or individuals who carried out the murder are sinister and dangerous and don't feel any remorse.

If they are as young as is being suggested in this thread, they're possibly too young to really understand what has actually happened. Possibly in shock themselves over what happened. PTSD.
    A lot of people in this thread automatically assuming the killer/s(if children) are psychopaths. Does a 13/14 year old really have the understanding of murder and death etc that young? I'm not sure they do. I know I wouldn't have
    My cousin took her own life when I was 13 and it was the first time I'd ever encountered anything like that and trying to make sense of it. Never mind the act of actually killing someone else and the consequences attached to it. i know things change a lot in the last 20 years but I can't imagine I'd have been aware of the consequences of actions like that at 13.
    Please don't insult the intelligence of 13 year olds i was 13 once and i knew perfectly well right from wrong and not to murder someone there's no nativity on their part here this was a cold blooded calculated killing by a very disturbed individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And to be very honest I am not sure that the family actually need randomers turning up

Indeed, a 14 year old will have a very large funeral. As another poster said I think standing outside the church could be a very nice gesture from people of local community who didnt know her personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wakka12 wrote: »
    Indeed, a 14 year old will have a very large funeral. As another poster said I think standing outside the church could be a very nice gesture from people of local community who didnt know her personally.

Agrred I think the community could line the street in support but let the ceremony be private .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2018/02/maddie-did-the-bbc-bend-the-truth/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I despair at what's happening to this country I really do,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I despair at what's happening to this country I really do,

It's been a bad week alright.
    As a grandparent of a child of similar age It really effected me. I really don';t think i'd want to go on if this happened to my lovely granddaughter.
    God bless and help Ana's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Hi everyone.

What a sad and truly tragic end to a young girls life. I can’t begin to imagine what the parents are going through.

I’m one of the group that was organising the 3 minutes silence event originally planned for tomorrow evening so just to clarify the questions relared to that above. Yesterday a group met including people from Leixlip and Lucan, members of the garda team involved and a close friend of Ana’s parents and some other community reps. This was due to the outpouring of support and asks to do something to show support for the family. There were many ideas going around social media and our intention was to try to coordinate it into one place to avoid extra churn for the family and garda and all involved. And also to make sure that anything that did happen had the guidance and approval of the family and garda or else don’t have it go ahead. Lots of ideas were ruled out due to the rawness and sensitivity of the case and the wishes of the family.

Yesterday we had approval from Ana’s Mum and family to go ahead with the 3 minutes silence and had agreed even the time and location with them as even theee factors are very sensitive. They liked the idea of something very simple and appreciated the show of support.

Unfortunately today, there were some phone calls to the family asking them to maybe reconsider given the open investigation and the sensitivities in Leixlip right now. Also in terms of fear it would become a media circus and maybe cause more distress. Many people are affected. Also as there was maybe some mixed views on where it should be held and when. This was not about boundaries or religion or politics. It was just something to be a symbol of support for the family. Not a vigil or memorial or anything, just the few minutes silence for people to gather and show solidarity for the family.

Anyways as a result of the phone calls to the family today and the fact they were then in an awkward situation, and not wanting anything to happen that may increase distress for them or anyone else, they asked for it to be stood down for now.

I just wanted to clarify above as there was a core group of about 12 people who spent most of the last two days trying to organise something with no motivation other than to try to do good. None of us are in a political party or doing it for any reason other than being deeply deeply shocked and sad for the family in terms of what happened on our doorstep. I would hate for anyone to get impression that we organised anything or set up a page without the permission of family, we made sure we had that yesterday. Just the situation changed today. I’m sure in time something will go ahead but we did not wish to pressure the family or make anything worse for the community so immediately stood it down when we received the other phone calls today.

It was very reassuring to see so many people who supported the page and the event while it was live, there are many good people in the community who will be fully behind the family if or when there is anything they need.

Hopefully this week their daughter can be laid to rest and there will be some developments in terms of arrests. I hope that clarifies for everyone interested in the community page.

A comment on Bernard Caldwell’s post about the cancellation say it was at the request of Ana’s parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I’m one of the group that was organising the 3 minutes silence event originally planned for tomorrow evening so just to clarify the questions relared to that above.

I am not dis-respecting anything you do... a 3 minute silence is a very long time, a 1 minute silence is much more productive and appropriate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement