Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The horrific death of Ana Kriegel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    We didn't tolerate that culture of bullying???

We bloody institutionalised it!!

I clearly remember my school days of 50 years ago!!

I guess I was referring more to my own school days in the 90's, and not the Christian Brothers or Magdalene Laundry abuses. None of that social media shıte then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I guess I was referring more to my own school days in the 90's, and not the Christian Brothers or Magdalene Laundry abuses. None of that social media shıte then.

Yeah. I get that. I do agree that social media bullying is a modern social poison!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Why is it taking so long to make an arrest I wonder if things are as clear cut as the media were making out? It said preliminary DNA results were back yesterday so I thought there might be arrests today.... then Sunday the new story came out the boy was saying he was attacked by 2 men which of course sounded like a defence story to me but who knows I guess...

Is it possible it’s not the 13 year old boy (with or without other accomplices?)? It seemed to be fairly clear, solely based on what I was reading which could of course been wrong, but thought it would have been easier for them to push on with arresting him if so?

Please god let them catch the person/people who did this soon.

Why is it taking so long to make an arrest I wonder if things are as clear cut as the media were making out? It said preliminary DNA results were back yesterday so I thought there might be arrests today.... then Sunday the new story came out the boy was saying he was attacked by 2 men which of course sounded like a defence story to me but who knows I guess...

Is it possible it’s not the 13 year old boy (with or without other accomplices?)? It seemed to be fairly clear, solely based on what I was reading which could of course been wrong, but thought it would have been easier for them to push on with arresting him if so?

DNA results not expected until tomorrow at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Better to have it done right, than done quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

They're going nowhere! It's far better for the Gardai to be right than quick at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't see any judge in this country locking them up for the rest of their life. So perhaps, with that in mind, some rehabilitation efforts might not be the worst idea!?
    The priority should always be punishment, the safety of the public is the most important thing, rehabilitation costs more money and might not work, the longer someone's behind bars the less time we have to spend wondering if they will reoffend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The harder the time is, you’d hope the more of a deterrent it is. The softly softly approach doesn’t work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd imagine its not easy to compel a DNA test from a minor and the gardai are dotting all the i's etc. Imagine the backlash if it all got kicked out on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

screamer wrote: »
    Torture them? Too soft. Lethal injection would be adequate for them after savagely killing a child in this way.
    Our society would be far better off to be rid of murderous scumbags than giving them Xboxes in prison both financially and actually.
    Oh just for ****s and giggles...what does keeping them alive in prison actually contribute to our society outside of some limp wristed justice?

If the rumour that the perpetrators are 13 is true, then they are also children, and in fact a year younger than the victim. So lethal injection would also be killing a child.

Also, I think the fact that the victim was actually a peer rather than a younger child complicates the issue.
    Really... I'd not heard that
    Still begs the question at what age children should be held to account for what they do. They commit an adult crime they should face an adult punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Greyfox wrote: »
    The priority should always be punishment, the safety of the public is the most important thing, rehabilitation costs more money and might not work, the longer someone's behind bars the less time we have to spend wondering if they will reoffend

Right... but we know there is very little chance of them doing serious time. Not in this country!

They'll be back on the streets at some point. And without any rehabilitation efforts, what happens to the safety of the public at that point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Putinbot wrote: »
    I'd imagine its not easy to compel a DNA test from a minor and the gardai are dotting all the i's etc. Imagine the backlash if it all got kicked out on a technicality.

Heard he will be charged Thursday. Going to be hard for his family to remain in the area. Guards prepping them for media assault no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

There was no remorse shown by these thugs, they left her there for 3 days went about their daily life without worrying about getting caught! Rehabilitation my hole! They might get out in 5 to 10 years my hope is they will pick on the wrong person and get what they deserve. I’m sure her death being discussed by the Russian community living here and you don’t mess with some of those lads.

Btw when the case is finished I hope they know that farmhouse and barn to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Heard he will be charged Thursday. Going to be hard for his family to remain in the area. Guards prepping them for media assault no doubt.

Minor involved, surely s/he can't be named or anything about his/her family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Minor involved, surely s/he can't be named or anything about his/her family etc.

It will come out in the locality, but I would imagine the penalties would be severe for whoever brings it into the public domain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would imagine anyone that knows him or the girl already know who it is - the media can't name, but the law can't stop gossip. He'd have been out of school, parents out of work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    They're going nowhere! It's far better for the Gardai to be right than quick at this stage!

Very true. Apologies it was just the media hype probably insinuating there would be an arrest yesterday... god love the family, every minute must be hell. I hope they will be able to at least lay her to rest soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

There was no remorse shown by these thugs, they left her there for 3 days went about their daily life without worrying about getting caught! Rehabilitation my hole! They might get out in 5 to 10 years my hope is they will pick on the wrong person and get what they deserve. I’m sure her death being discussed by the Russian community living here and you don’t mess with some of those lads.

Btw when the case is finished I hope they know that farmhouse and barn to the ground.

Was just thinking it should be knocked down alright to stop it becoming a kind of perverse pilgrimage site for local kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

It will come out in the locality, but I would imagine the penalties would be severe for whoever brings it into the public domain.

Everybody local knows already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

My concern has started to shift to the families of the suspects. There were people there who suspected something and did not report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Brae100 wrote: »
    My concern has started to shift to the families of the suspects. There were people there who suspected something and did not report it.

Give over would you. What parents would ever suspect that their 13/14 year old child would be capable of doing such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Give over would you. What parents would ever suspect that their 13/14 year old child would be capable of doing such a thing.

It would definitely not be unheard of that a parent covered up for a child

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

iamwhoiam wrote: »

You would lay down your life for them

But this is so fcuked up you would have to turn your back on them

turning your back on your own child must be horrendous experience

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Must be so tough for the parents on both sides of this. Lives ruined forever

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Easygame1

Im aware the child's suspect brought his bloodied t shirt to Gardai last Thursday night when news broke she had been murdered in St Cathrines Park.

Does anyone know the number of children involved? I live locally and have heard many names so far this week which seems to be narrowed down to two definite suspects and two more who are still not in the clear? All are kids and its becoming obvious by whos not showing up in <snip> for classes.

Not looking for names or any info other than the number of alleged attackers or accomplices.

Mod note: NO IDENTIFYING INFORMATION, PLEASE!

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

In my opinion this is a heinous act which has no recent, national precedent. It is off the scale. An atrocity of this nature is not a product of any shortcoming in Irish contemporary society; it is the action of one or more toxic, depraved, abominable individuals who are so far removed from social and moral norms that they can hardly be considered human.

Counselling? Rehabilitation?

Ridiculous, prison for life and throw away the key.

Any futile attempt to "understand" the perpetrator's actions risks creating a new syndrome such as the school shootings in the US which have become a sort of blueprint for a particular type of disconnected, low self esteem male to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would definitely not cover fot mine but it would not be unheard that some would

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In my opinion this is a heinous act which has no recent, national precedent. It is off the scale. Atrocities of this nature are not a product of any shortcoming in Irish contemporary society; they are the actions of toxic, depraved, abominable individuals who are so far removed from social and moral norms that they can hardly be considered human.

Counselling? Rehabilitation?

Ridiculous, prison for life and throw away the key.

Any futile attempt to "understand" the perpetrator's actions risks creating a new syndrome such as the school shootings in the US which have become a sort of blueprint for a particular type of disconnected, low self esteem male to follow.

I'm just 50 now , I witnessed a fight when I was 12 during which a child lost his life from his injuries .Not quite the same as what happened in St Catherine's but horrific enough to give me nightmares.

It happens , very occasionally that another side to society appears with extremes of violence and depravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

I'm just 50 now , I witnessed a fight when I was 12 during which a child lost his life from his injuries .Not quite the same as what happened in St Catherine's but horrific enough to give me nightmares.

It happens , very occasionally that another side to society appears with extremes of violence and depravity.

I suppose I'm trying to say that society didn't cause this, although it couldn't have happened outside of the societal context.
    Society is mirroring peoples' states of mind rather than shaping them to such a drastic extent that they descend into pure evil.
    I would be traumatised by what you witnessed also but I'm sure you didn't subsequently despair of the world and lose all empathy for others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

The sort of parents who had their child come home covered in blood while knowing there was a missing person investigation ongoing, while their child knew the missing person. Sort of parents who had to wait for the obvious suspects to be traced instead of volunteering information. Are they a skanger family moved out from a council area?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement