Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't agree it's more dangerous than a bicycle. It stops quickly and doesn't go near as fast.
    When did we become so soft that scooting was seen as dangerous.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

grogi wrote: »
    Bicycles do require you to pedal - going fast is hard - and have much bigger wheels - thus navigating the potholes is easier. Electric scooter is much more dangerous and I wouldn't like to see any wanker going around on one. I also don't believe that Gardai will be able to keep them under control.

Sure the Gardai cant even keep scramblers under control!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bicycles do require you to pedal - going fast is hard - and have much bigger wheels - thus navigating the potholes is easier. Electric scooter is much more dangerous and I wouldn't like to see any wanker going around on one. I also don't believe that Gardai will be able to keep them under control.

Hard to control. How many scrambles and little quads are flying around the green areas in Dublin? no license/insurance/tax nothing......they can go alot quicker than a scooter.....

They are more of a nuisance than a scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

antodeco wrote: »
    Sure the Gardai cant even keep scramblers under control!
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hard to control. How many scrambles and little quads are flying around the green areas in Dublin? no license/insurance/tax nothing......they can go alot quicker than a scooter.....

I count myself lucky then - I literally have no idea what you're talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't agree it's more dangerous than a bicycle. It stops quickly and doesn't go near as fast.
    When did we become so soft that scooting was seen as dangerous.

You're only looking at low end ones. There are many more,

This one does 30kph
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109080662&postcount=417

This one 40kph
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108801308&postcount=363

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

They are rated at that speed when a mouse is on them.....unfortunately the oversized Irish man will restrict the speed a bit....first time I stood up on the M365 the tyre blew out with the weight of me :P:P:P

I joke, but not a chance in hell with an adult they get close to that speed. My sister in law took the M365 for a spin. She is very petite and it didn't get up to that speed.

I count myself lucky then - I literally have no idea what you're talking about...

I don't live in Dublin but I go in and out of Dublin regular, you will see them dotted around different parts of Dublin.....not too hard either, normally you can hear long before you can see

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They are rated at that speed when a mouse is on them.....unfortunately the oversized Irish man will restrict the speed a bit....first time I stood up on the M365 the tyre blew out with the weight of me :P:P:P

I joke, but not a chance in hell with an adult they get close to that speed. My sister in law took the M365 for a spin. She is very petite and it didn't get up to that speed.

The M365 is 250w the others are more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

do you have proof they're more dangerous? Pedestrians have been killed by cyclists but it's incredibly rare, I don't think the risk from scooters is likely to be much higher (they weigh about the same as a bike but I assume most of that weight is in the base in the form of batteries).

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    do you have proof they're more dangerous? Pedestrians have been killed by cyclists but it's incredibly rare, I don't think the risk from scooters is likely to be much higher (they weigh about the same as a bike but I assume most of that weight is in the base in the form of batteries).

The US has both for a while. One opinion is that people under estimate the speed of the scooters and get out of their depth very fast. I've no opinion on it either way.
    the death rate on shared Lime and Bike e-scooters is roughly one per 10.75 million trips. There have been just two bike share deaths nationwide, making the death rate roughly one for every 61.5 million trips,

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

quarryman wrote: »
    Still loving my Zoom Stryder. About 450km done on it now.

The best part is the full suspension. I don’t know how anyone clocks up miles on the M365 without any suspension on it.

I love bunny hopping off the odd kerb on my way home.

My advice: don’t cheap out on the models with no suspension. Irish roads just aren’t made for it.

Same here. Went for Dualtron Spider. Should come this weeks. It's the longest waiting in my life... Ordered it at the end of november. Btw, you are welcome to share any info and experince, photos, etc in the FB group "Electric Scooter Ireland", I created recently. And if you know any other riders, invite them in too. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

A scooter like that is not really suitable to be driven on a road - rather cycle paths and walkways. But it still is very fast - and it is very easy to make serious harm - hurt a pedestrian when riding a scooter like that.

I am all for making our transport much more sustainable. But as it stands, just making them legal is a recipe for disaster IMHO. They really would need to be seriously limited - to ~10 kmh - to be allowed to be used without insurance and driving license.

When I cycle to work, my speed going downhill is around 40-50 km/h. So I don't think that bicycle is less harmfull than a scooter. I think that scooters should be allowed in cycling lane, to keep the riders safe. Most of the scooter riders keep the average speed around 25-35 km/h. Which is perfectly safe. I wouldn't allow scooter on the path, unless there is no road or cycle lane.

Anyway, lots has to change, because scooters and other similar gadgets are amazing commuting devices... And we need to find political support and more riders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Anyone considering the Xiaomi M365 Amazon Spain currently have it at €369 https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B077QHRLPB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&psc=1, though you will have to use ParcelMotel/AddressPall etc for delivery to Ireland. I got mine through here and was €380 at the time, so this is even better deal.

Re: suspension, i havent had much an issue with this. As one previous poster said, just be conscious of potholes and youre fine. I have had to tighten handlebars slightly every two weeks or so due to vibrations, but for my purposes doesnt cause me any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

bigslick wrote: »
    Anyone considering the Xiaomi M365 Amazon Spain currently have it at €369 https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B077QHRLPB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&psc=1, though you will have to use ParcelMotel/AddressPall etc for delivery to Ireland. I got mine through here and was €380 at the time, so this is even better deal.

Re: suspension, i havent had much an issue with this. As one previous poster said, just be conscious of potholes and youre fine. I have had to tighten handlebars slightly every two weeks or so due to vibrations, but for my purposes doesnt cause me any issues.

One of the lads in work has one of these but says punctures are a pain to fix. Anyone had any issues fixing punctures on these?

SteM wrote: »
    One of the lads in work has one of these but says punctures are a pain to fix. Anyone had any issues fixing punctures on these?

Seen a video with some stuff they pumped into the tyre to stop puncture....

to fix a puncture it is very difficult to take the wheel off

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Have done about 600kms on it so far with no punctures (touch wood) yet. Best way to avoid punctures is to make sure the tyre PSI is always at right level (40-50 PSI) at all times. This means I usually pump up the front tyre about once a week, after using it to and from work 5 days a week. Also avoid potholes, and glass, which I have noticed more and more since having.

You can use a liquid called Slime (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000W45GGW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1) to help prevent punctures. You deflate tyre, squeeze it into the tyre inner tube, inflate, and then if you get a puncture the slime oozes into the puncture and temporarily seals it. Though I have heard stories from people that it does not work as expected. If punctures are an issue, you can buy solid rubber tyres to install instead, however this makes ride a bit harder.

If you do get a puncture it is the front one which is most difficult to replace, as the motor is contained in front wheel. Rear tire is easy enough in comparison. Lots of videos online on how to do it though, but would need few hours to complete. I would advise getting the EU/UK version for this reason, as it comes with two spare sets of tyres, while the International version sold by Gearbest etc do not, and inflatable tyres can run about €20 a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

im using solid tyres on my m365 and to be honest its not too much harder ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone own one of these have large feet? I’m thinking about getting one but not sure if both on my size 13’s will fit on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Looking at you tube videos of people on scooters Id say shoe size wouldn't be an issue, Appropriate foot wear though. Saw one woman in highish heels on a scooter yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

What's the best way to carry a few belongings on these scooters?

Does anyone own one of these have large feet? I’m thinking about getting one but not sure if both on my size 13’s will fit on it!

Go look at one in a three shop. They are pretty massive these scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

beauf wrote: »
    Go look at one in a three shop. They are pretty massive these scooters.

Cheers, I didn’t realise they had display models in the 3 shop. Will have a look!

Blanch does. Dunno about the others. Theres also that bike shop I linked to earlier.

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    What's the best way to carry a few belongings on these scooters?

There's a little messages hook you can get just ordered one EUR 2.62

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

3 have confirmed the warranty on these is a 2 year collect and return. Be mad to buy one from china based on that..pretty good deal.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

They €429 in a three store?

antodeco wrote: »
    They €429 in a three store?

449 I think

cojomo2 wrote: »
    449 I think

Was going to buy one this weekend..out of stock in all stores, no date for new stock..

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Was going to buy one this weekend..out of stock in all stores, no date for new stock..

They are in stock I checked earlier, you just met the wrong person, can be bought in all 3 stores and delivered home to you.

Advertisement