Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

hmmm wrote: »
    How likely are you to take a fall off of one of these? I've been reading some reviews saying that scooters are lethal in the wet, which isn't much use in Ireland?

I go faster on my push bike, so same risk as a push bike on wet roads......

they are a bit odd at the start but unless you are messing around or doing something stupid I can't see how you would fall. Of course depends on the surface you are driving on. Cobble lock in Dublin city centre in wet, you will be on your arse in no time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I go faster on my push bike, so same risk as a push bike on wet roads..........

I think you have to consider are you more stable on a bike with large wheels or something like a folding bike. Then look at the physics of a rider on scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hmmm wrote: »
    How likely are you to take a fall off of one of these? I've been reading some reviews saying that scooters are lethal in the wet, which isn't much use in Ireland?

Try them on one of the smoother manholes. Down and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Watch out for tar lines, man hole covers and shores...,.. oh and pot holes.

I've reported George's at to Camden at areas and it's in a seriously dangerous way but nothing gets done, I've reported numerous times over the last 2 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Watch out for tar lines, man hole covers and shores...,.. oh and pot holes.

I've reported George's at to Camden at areas and it's in a seriously dangerous way but nothing gets done, I've reported numerous times over the last 2 years or more.

Maybe you need to edit this to make some sense :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Just had my first wet run on my M365 without any noteworthy incidents - other than getting bate in the face with light rain isn't enjoyable :D Same for bikes I'd imagine.

In terms of coming off one. Hand signals are a challenge so I'm looking into a turn signal helmet. For example, right turns require you to take your hand off the handbar and throttle - making it harder to keep going and keep steady. It's manageable, but takes some getting used to.

Bumps are very noticeable because you don't have suspension - but again, in daylight it's easy to spot these comign and at night time (while harder) the light is very good.

Here's more of what I thought - I'll be giving it a more indepth review in the next week or two.

https://goosed.ie/xiaomi-m365-review-first-impressions/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You never signal a manavoure!! Just ask a BMW owner.

There's some pads to take some bite out of the bumps I think. There on eBay/Amazon.

I've been to rough enough areas on it and it's fine just don't try and mount a kerb or similar.

El Inho wrote: »
    Just had my first wet run on my M365 without any noteworthy incidents - other than getting bate in the face with light rain isn't enjoyable :D Same for bikes I'd imagine.

In terms of coming off one. Hand signals are a challenge so I'm looking into a turn signal helmet. For example, right turns require you to take your hand off the handbar and throttle - making it harder to keep going and keep steady. It's manageable, but takes some getting used to.

Bumps are very noticeable because you don't have suspension - but again, in daylight it's easy to spot these comign and at night time (while harder) the light is very good.

Here's more of what I thought - I'll be giving it a more indepth review in the next week or two.

I would think a high-viz jacket, with indicators built in would be the best option of the lot (indicators on shoulders) should such exist.
    If they don't exist there is a free idea for some enterprising scooter user :D

I would think a high-viz jacket, with indicators built in would be the best option of the lot (indicators on shoulders) should such exist.
    If they don't exist there is a free idea for some enterprising scooter user :D

Facebook has an advertisement for something like that.....

I would prefer it on the each cheek of your arse....so right cheek for right, left cheek for left and straight ahead is :P:P:P:P:P

Facebook has an advertisement for something like that.....

I would prefer it on the each cheek of your arse....so right cheek for right, left cheek for left and straight ahead is :P:P:P:P:P

....... into the pot-Hole ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

El Inho wrote: »

You can buy scooter with slightly bigger wheels and suspension. You can also buy helmet with visor, so no rain go to your face...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I came off mine for the first time last weekend - mounted a kerb at the driveway but was going a bit too fast and at a bad angle....scooter went one way, I ended up on my feet at a fast run pace....got lucky! Will be more careful about changes in street/path levels in future, take them slower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

I'm thinking of getting this. Better price than Xiaomi and has suspension. Great display. Little reviews so far but seems a reputable manufacturer.

Lumina wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this. Better price than Xiaomi and has suspension. Great display. Little reviews so far but seems a reputable manufacturer.

I was seriously thinking about it, asked them for a discount code :p

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭CFC007

I took a punt on this scooter, €290 delivered and no risk of taxes was too good to pass on. Will report back when it arrives.
    I was seriously thinking about it, asked them for a discount code :p

The Irish xiaomi with spare wheels and collect and return warrant is probably worth the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

The Irish xiaomi with spare wheels and collect and return warrant is probably worth the extra money.

Hi, do you have any details of this wartanty and what it includes? Im thinking of purchasing one of these scooters and if the Xiaomi from 3 store comes with a decent warranty (especially for the battery) and readily available replacement parts, I'll happily pay they extra few quid.

Also, I haven't read the whole thread but is the view still mixed as to the legality of these (even though they require a push start)?

Thanks.

I need to double check I think it's 12mt warranty but could be 2yrs the same as their phones. If it's faulty it's collect and return, they'll pick it up and drop it back to you that's probably worth the premium alone, there was 2 spare tyres in the box and something else I'd have to go find it to check.

Legality, by the letter or the law they need tax and insurance but I've passed a good few Garda and only got smiles. Chatting to a chap the other night he had his confiscated but he told them he was on the way home from the pub but they said he could collect it in the morning.
    It's all down to who you meet.

I was told by one place the batteries only have a 6 month warranty. The rest of the scooter was a year. Not sure where they got that from.

I would expect a bit of regular maintenance like a bicycle.

• Advertisement

It says that on the Chinese instructions, it also says your warranty is out if you feed it liquor.
    Didn't look at what it said in the box no where near it today to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Where is the Irish Xiaomi store? What price for the scooter there?

CFC007 wrote: »
    I took a punt on this scooter, €290 delivered and no risk of taxes was too good to pass on. Will report back when it arrives.

I might pull trigger as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

peaceboi wrote: »
    Where is the Irish Xiaomi store? What price for the scooter there?

Apparently they are available in Ireland exclusively from 3.

Is the Xiaomi stuff online with three yet?

Is the Xiaomi stuff online with three yet?

You buy it in the shop and they deliver it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

You buy it in the shop and they deliver it to you.

You mean 3 mobile stores across Ireland?

Yes. Some bike shops also sell them.

www.cyclebike.ie

I like the idea of being able to go back to bike shop for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭CFC007

Cancelled the one on geek in the end as got a used Xiaomi one. Did a 16km one way commute yesterday. Made it home with 19% battery and that’s with a cfw on it.
    CFC007 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

beauf wrote: »
    Yes. Some bike shops also sell them.

www.cyclebike.ie

I like the idea of being able to go back to bike shop for repairs.

Interesting. I wonder would it be covered under the bike to work scheme?

Advertisement