Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Martynet wrote: »
    When I cycle to work, this is what's happening ... Get out the garden, open shed, open locks take out the bike, close shed, open the side gate... and all this takes about 5 mins...

How many keys do you need to use to open the shed?!
    But scooter... just grab it in the hallway and ride out of the front door and on my way... :D
    And don't have to keep it in the yard in the office and worry about it, cos it's right under my desk.

You'd do the same with the foldable bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

grogi wrote: »
    How many keys do you need to use to open the shed?!

You'd do the same with the foldable bike.

Two locks, one on shed and one on bike. Basically with all these procedures and shower when arrive at the office, it takes about the same time as the luas. With the scooter, I can save about 20 minutes. And because the trip home is up the hill (average speed between 19-22 km/h), it will be much faster on scooter too.

Anyway, If I get into trouble riding the scooter, I'll return it and will buy one of these cool ebikes with really fat tyres. They look awesome. Like the Lithium Cycles' Super 73 or this guy http://bad-bike.it/en/bad-en/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyway, If I get into trouble riding the scooter, I'll return it and will buy one of these cool ebikes with really fat tyres. They look awesome. Like the Lithium Cycles' Super 73 or this guy http://bad-bike.it/en/bad-en/

If you get in trouble it’ll be confiscated.

ted1 wrote: »
    If you get in trouble it’ll be confiscated.

Well if it's confiscated, I'm sure you can get it back after few days. It's still your property... They can't just take something and keep it forever....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Return it....

Who takes back a used scooter just because you got into trouble.

Do you understand shops....

Do you understand the law. So far no. Its evident you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,427 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well if it's confiscated, I'm sure you can get it back after few days. It's still your property... They can't just take something and keep it forever....

They can seize untaxed vehicles which is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I can't wait for this to be ruled on one way or another if only to stop this fcking conversation occurring every 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Saw a bunch of people on scooters in town today. They aren't waiting...

listermint wrote: »
    Return it....

Who takes back a used scooter just because you got into trouble.

Do you understand shops....

Do you understand the law. So far no. Its evident you don't.

Some shops take back used stuff for lower price of course. Nothing unusual. Or I could just sell it on eBay. Doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Done almost 200km on mine now.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ha another familiar user formerly from the motors forum :)

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've 360km done on mine. Love it, but it really struggles on hills with my weight (93kg).
    Also there is no gasket provided on the joint where it folds/unfolds. Over time, you will get unwanted movement developing.
    I've gone through 2 Garda Roads Policing checkpoints - got waved through the first one and the guard on the second checkpoint asked me where I got it as his brother was looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What sort of range are ye getting on a charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I've a Zoom Stryder ES which is advertised 25-30km range at 19kph. I did a 25km trip at 25kph recently and got to 20km, hit turtle mode, then 2km more real slow before it died. So real range at full tilt is about 20km on a cold day. I charged it up and got about the same on the return. Wanted to find out what the real range was, could've gone slower of course, might have made it...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

Reckon the €359 price for m365 will go down further after Xmas? I've not been tracking the prices for long.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B077QHRLPB/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Lumina wrote: »
    Reckon the €359 price for m365 will go down further after Xmas? I've not been tracking the prices for long.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B077QHRLPB/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=new

That’s a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Thargor wrote: »
    What sort of range are ye getting on a charge?

I do about 5.5km a day and when I get home, it shows about 75% full.
    I charge it daily, as I noticed that once the battery gets near 50%, it really struggles on hills. Again, I'm over 90kg which is a big factor here.

mike_2009 wrote: »
    I've a Zoom Stryder ES which is advertised 25-30km range at 19kph. I did a 25km trip at 25kph recently and got to 20km, hit turtle mode, then 2km more real slow before it died. So real range at full tilt is about 20km on a cold day. I charged it up and got about the same on the return. Wanted to find out what the real range was, could've gone slower of course, might have made it...!

I have the same scooter. 20km is probably a realistic distance alright. Below 50% battery and the speed drops to about 25kph which is a bit annoying.

I wasn't cheeky enough to unclock it to above 25km/hour yet so not noticed!! It's great for local shopping, just back from Woodies...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you have the carrier hook for shopping?

They gave me a carrying handle for free, I guess you could hook that on but it might be a bit wide? Was just planning on dropping in into the shopping trolley, it folds up quite small handles and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Del2005 wrote: »
    There is no gray area they are a mechanically propelled vehicle and would require a licence, tax and insurance if they could be made road legal.

I agree with half of this. It's not a grey area but only because it's clearcut in favour of the scooter rider. Like someone else said, a Garda might misinterpret the law the same way, but I have it on authority from the Garda press office that the scooter requires human power to get it moving, it's not an MPV

https://goosed.ie/electric-scooters-and-the-law-in-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

El Inho wrote: »
    I agree with half of this. It's not a grey area but only because it's clearcut in favour of the scooter rider. Like someone else said, a Garda might misinterpret the law the same way, but I have it on authority from the Garda press office that the scooter requires human power to get it moving, it's not an MPV

https://goosed.ie/electric-scooters-and-the-law-in-ireland/

If it's not a grey area you'll have no problem finding the quoting legislation that defines it like that. Instead of some vague poorly researched social media. Good luck.

Hey guys, I created a group on FB related to Electric Scooters in Ireland. You're all welcome to join in and share stuff... It's called Electric Scooter Ireland. Cheers
    When I receive my scooter (Dualtron Spider), I'll be sharing all the information and experience there. Could be cool to get as many members as possible and do some stuff to raise public awareness and discussions with politicians. Let me know what you think. cheers
    The group is called Electric Scooter Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wondered about the legality of use of these devices and how it could be put to good use by the gov in their bid to reduce traffic and our carbon footprint.

If each car owner was made legally entitled to use one without extra payment etc it might well encourage commuters in the direction the gov wants.
    Yes, sure there would be paperwork etc etc., but the net result would be allowing their use in place of cars.

All others without a car registered to them would be required to make payment to register and legalise.

Something along those lines could both make the best use of these devices while at the same time making them legal to use, and hopefully taking an equal number of commuter cars off the road.

I have not thought this through, but something along those lines could be beneficial to all I think.

I wondered about the legality of use of these devices and how it could be put to good use by the gov in their bid to reduce traffic and our carbon footprint.

If each car owner was made legally entitled to use one without extra payment etc it might well encourage commuters in the direction the gov wants.
    Yes, sure there would be paperwork etc etc., but the net result would be allowing their use in place of cars.

All others without a car registered to them would be required to make payment to register and legalise.

Something along those lines could both make the best use of these devices while at the same time making them legal to use, and hopefully taking an equal number of commuter cars off the road.

I have not thought this through, but something along those lines could be beneficial to all I think.

We need more scooters and more happy users... We need scooters to become as normal as bikes. I'm spreading the word as much as I can. And as soon as I get one, I will let other people to try it and convert them too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We need more scooters and more happy users... We need scooters to become as normal as bikes. I'm spreading the word as much as I can. And as soon as I get one, I will let other people to try it and convert them too :)

If you never had one how do you know you will recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

How likely are you to take a fall off of one of these? I've been reading some reviews saying that scooters are lethal in the wet, which isn't much use in Ireland?

Advertisement